Exelon Reviews

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014

3.9

Christopher M. Crane

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits, 401k, constant training (in 5 reviews)

• Generous amounts of PTO and flex time combine to make it very easy to achieve a satisfactory work-life balance (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance needs to be strived for to obtain (in 16 reviews)

• No work-life balance, Self-absorbed management (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

CHALLENGING BUT REWARDING

Current Employee - General Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - General Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Exelon has diverse work force with tons of carrier opportunities. Exelon is directly involved with ground breaking industry technology and innovation. Exelon also offers a good work environment.

Cons

Work hours may vary depending on emergent issues. Compensation could be a little better.

I will like to see more promotions based on experience and knowledge. I will also like to see better compensation based on technical knowledge.

Aug 1, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! Exelon appreciates the thoughts of our employees and values feedback. Please feel free to provide additional insight by emailing ... More

Senior Engineer in the Mid Atlantic

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Terrific company to learn, grow, and develop. With experience in fossil power plants, as well as with other engineering firms, and Exelon far exceeds others in the area with regards to compensation and available opportunities.

Cons

Nuclear power is a 24 hour a day business so standard work hours do not always apply. Work-life balance can be an issue, but only if you allow it to be.

Aug 1, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you so much for posting this review! Exelon values the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your feedback. Thank you again!

Wide range of available career opportunities spanning Energy Trading, Risk Management, Finance

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Among other things, Exelon offers a career in an exciting industry (energy trading) that is hard to break into. Compensation is commensurate with competitors with opportunities for significant upside over time. Good work-life balance.

Cons

Challenges include having to navigate through the workings of a large company. There may not be a clearly defined career path. Onus is on individuals to find their area of expertise and progression path.

Aug 8, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate you taking your time to post. If you would like to provide additional information please feel free to email CorporateTalentAquisition@exeloncorp.com ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great culture makes it a great company!

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Most of my experience has been in the utilities at Exelon and I have found that the leaders are truly interested in the employees and support work/life balance. Much responsibility is given to employees, making it a challenging, but interesting place to work. There is tremendous opportunity for growth and advancement, all of which is highly encouraged and supported by management. Special projects, temporary assignments, rotations, and shadowing opportunities are all available to let employees test the waters for different roles and see if different roles and positions would interest them. The pay and benefits (great vacation allotment) are really competitive too! Also, the company is very flexible, at least in the non-field positions, in terms of work flex schedules or from remote locations.

Cons

As Exelon continues to grow and expand through mergers and acquisitions, the change process associated with aligning companies can be a little tough.

Recognize each business unit for its own contributions, continue to seek feedback from employees and be considerate when requiring employees to work long hours into the night.

Jul 25, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you very much for taking your time to post this helpful review! Exelon values the opinions of our employees and we appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!

Great Company; Opportunities Abound

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I have held several positions within the company and over the course of my careeer each one has provided challenging opportunities, lessons to learn from, and rewards. The people are great.

Cons

Work-Life balance is an option, but taking a day off within the work week and then having to work some hours on the weekend to make up does not meet the intent. It is a fine balance. At times, it feels you are working 24/7.

Review the vacation policy related to the number of vacation days that can be rolled over and/or seriously consider providing an option that will compensate for the unused vacation days that currently cannot be rolled over.

Jul 15, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you very much for posting your thoughts! We appreciate you taking the time to make this review. If you are willing to provide additional details, please feel free to email ... More

You will never be bored working for Exelon!

Current Employee - Exelon Utilities  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Exelon Utilities in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are numerous challenges to tackle - and the only limit is your imagination! Senior management encourages engagement, new ideas, and genuinely trying to make things better for our employees and customers. The value for safety is paramount - and this is stressed all the time. If you want to make a difference and make things better - you will have a good experience at Exelon - you will never be bored! Our industry is in the midst of a lot of change - so we need to keep fresh thinking and new ideas - and need people to keep an eye to the future. Doing work in different parts of the business is encouraged - so you can move around and find numerous development opportunities.

Cons

Because we are such a big company - it is hard for all parts of the business to know what each other is doing - we tend to work in silos too often.

A part of the job is being part of a 24-7-365 company that provides a vital service - so it also means that you will be working at times that you may not want to (holidays, etc.).

We also need to do a better job of onboarding new employees to set them up for maximum success.

Always stay engaged with your people - set them up for success - and learn their major barriers to success so you can remove obstacles.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you very much for taking the time to post this review! We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion. If you are willing, please email CorporateTalentAquisition@exeloncorp.com with any ... More

Exelon is a great comapny that invests in its employees.

Current Employee - Senior Generation Liaison  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Generation Liaison in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Exelon offers its employees many growth opportunities. The company has a great development program. When I first accepted a management position they sent me to a 1 month development program to develop my leadership skills. I have worked in many areas of the industry including instrument and controls, operations, mechanical maintenance, and generation dispatch. The company has always been supportive of all of my goals. When I expressed that I wanted to work in our commodities trading business unit I was allowed to shadow trade floor operations. Exelon also supported my goal by funding a significant portion of my MBA. I currently work to coordinate our physical position to support the traders in all of our regions.

Exelon capitalizes on diversity. I am a perfect example. I have worked in several types of plants in many different roles. Exelon uses my diverse background to help our commodities organization to work more coherently with our generation fleet.

Exelon works to support the communities we serve. The company is actively engaged in volunteer programs. I have personally had the opportunity to work with students at technical colleges and environmental groups though my affiliation with Exelon.

Exelon is well balanced. We have a good mix of regulated utilities, retail power and merchant generation. This mix provides endless opportunities for employees that are willing to try new things. The company is aggressively looking to expand which brings more opportunities.

Exelon has a great benefits package. We have a pension, 401K, employee stock purchase program, wellness programs, many types of clubs and social groups, great health benefits, and great vacation policies.

I love working here. I have actively recruited personal friends to work for the company.

Cons

One of the Cons at Exelon is that I work a lot. If you are looking to work a forty hour week this may not be the place for you. That being said, Exelon and my immediate supervisor have been very supportive of working remotely or at satellite location to improve my work life balance.

Another potential Con is that the company is very widespread. Sometimes to achieve your goals you may be required to relocate.

One piece of advice that I would offer senior leadership is to continue to work to ensure that employees understand all of the opportunities that are available to them. I have encountered coworkers that do not know how to use their Individual Development Plan to maximize their potential.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you so much for posting this review!! Your input is greatly valued. Thank you again, we appreciate your feedback!

Outstanding Legal Department

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

All members of the department are treated with respect, whether they are employees or contractors and are included in all company events.

Cons

If I were forced to find something negative about my experience working there, it would be hard for me to do.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate you taking the time to post this review and value our employees feedback. Thanks again!

Good Company for Chicago

Current Employee - Material Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Material Analyst in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company with a lot of weight and power in the industry. Located in the heart of the city with offices all over the nation if relocation is in your future. Good opportunities and innovation is encouraged.

Cons

A lot of the problems with large companies are shown here such as red tape and seeking to please those above you.

Forster technology and how to use it more efficiently. You have to spend money on things that work not buy the cheapest option in order to fulfill the requests for innovation.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for your review! We appreciate and value your input. If you would like to provide additional information, please email CorporateTalentAquisition@exeloncorp.com. Thanks again!

Great place to launch your career!!

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at Exelon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, challenging work, and great environment.
    Plenty opportunities fro advancement for motivated individuals.
    Values diverse people and ideas.

Cons

Work/Life Balance at times is not the best.
    Location of some of the job sites.
    On call requirements.

Continue to develop young talent, make sure you acknowledge the value of your veteran employees. Leverage the millenials' knowledge of technology to improve efficiency in the work place.

Jul 14, 2014Sr Analyst, National and Strategic Programs

Thank you for taking your time to post this review!! We appreciate your feedback and value your opinion. Thanks again!

Worked for Exelon? Contribute to the Community!