Exempla Healthcare

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

William M. Murray

Admissions

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work, great benefits and many opportunities for advancement.

Cons

Management needs to listen to employees more for overall improvement for moral.

I have deep gratitude and respect for a company that has treated me well for over twenty years of employment.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, CO
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lafayette, CO

I have been working at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of my work here was the manger I worked for. She had a fine balance between professionalism and friendship. My co-workers for kind, compassionate and we created a team that worked well together.

Cons

One of the biggest challenges of working within this corporate environment is the red tape, paperwork, and hoops to jump through for change to happen.

fun

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Denver, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

improvement classes and work shop

Cons

the office politics that make it stressful to work in the enviroment

not to favor one over the other even if they are you friend outside of the clinic

Stay AWAY if you are a phlebotomy intern....

Former Employee - Phlebotomy in Lafayette, CO
    Former Employee - Phlebotomy in Lafayette, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I was a phlebotomy intern at the Lafayette, CO location immediately following phlebotomy classes & training at my school. My initial impression of the fellow phlebotomists and lab manager were quite favorable. I was welcomed in a friendly manner, and was asked to perform blood draws on the phlebotomists (before drawing any patients), which went well. The working schedule begins very early in the day (this is to be expected, because it is at a hospital facility), and runs for a very full day - there are many opportunities for an intern to perform blood draws. This is a good thing, because interns need to perform many blood draws in order to successfully complete the internship. The lab manager reassuringly stated that the necessary number of attempted draws needed to be attained, and that it was not important whether or not they were all successful. The phlebotomists were all friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. I had very much wanted to have the opportunity to be assigned to this facility for my internship, and was really happy to begin my internship, learn more about a phlebotomist's typical workday, perform my 50+ draws, and increase my skill at doing so. After successful completion of the internship, I would then get a certificate of course completion from my phlebotomy school, and then I could begin the career I had been preparing for. This was the purpose of the internship, and I was excited to begin! I felt confident and more than ready.

The phlebotomists with whom I worked every day were pleasant, and it was great to work with so many of them and learn their different approaches and styles of drawing blood. All of them were fun to work with, and had encouraging and complimentary comments about my performance. I enjoyed and looked forward to coming in to work every day.

Cons

I was told at the beginning of my internship that a particular one of the phlebotomists with whom I worked was my assigned sponsor, and that she was to assess me at the conclusion of my internship. However, at the conclusion of my assignment there, the lab manager was instead the person who filled out my assessment. This was a surprise, because I was told something else at first, and also because I did virtually all of my draws with the phlebotomists on rounds, not in the lab at all, which was where the lab manager worked in her office. I was looking forward to hearing a brief discussion or summary of my assessment results, so that I could find out how the people who were training me thought that I did. The second surprise was that the lab manager said that she would instead email a copy of my evaluation to me and to my school (no discussion at all). I waited eagerly for that email, but she never followed through on her promise to send it to me. I contacted my school to find out if they had heard anything, and that was when I got my third surprise - not only had they received an evaluation from the lab manager about me, but she had failed me.

This would be understandable if I had been a bad worker or had not completed what I was there for as an intern. But that was not the case. I consistently arrived for work at least 15 minutes early, always stayed at least half an hour over my scheduled time, completed more than my required number of draws, increased my accuracy while I was there, and asked for (and was given) other work to do around the lab when there were no draws to perform. None of the phlebotomists with whom I worked indicated anything negative about my work; instead they were encouraging and had nothing but positive, helpful things to say to me. The lab manager also had not indicated in any way to me that she was displeased with me during my internship. There were no personality conflicts that I was aware of. In spite of all of this, my personal character and work ethic was severely maligned in my review, and I was failed. I was completely shocked at this, as it came so out of the blue. If the lab manager was unhappy with me, why did she not give me some indication of any issue she had with me?

Because I was not given a passing assessment grade, this meant that I would not receive a certificate of completion from my school (where I had completed the classroom and school lab portions at the top of my class). The tuition, time, and effort I had invested would not launch me into a new career after all. My anticipated career had been ended before it had actually begun. I had never in my life been treated so unfairly, and with no explanation or apparent cause. I contacted Exempla to request an appointment with the lab manager for the purpose of clarification of her decision, as I truly wanted to understand just what led her to decide to fail me, but this request was denied. I wrote a letter to Exempla's education department explaining how my internship was handled, but was told that Exempla "doesn't allow for any input from students". I also sent a copy of that letter to my school just to have on record what had happened. (Just to be clear, my school did nothing at all wrong, but I wanted them to know how my internship was mishandled by Exempla so that future student interns might be spared a similar abrupt surprise ending to their fledgling career.)

Communication is important, folks. Be honest and forthcoming about people you are working with, instead of verbally indicating that everything is going just great for weeks and then stating something completely opposite on a final review, ending someone's career, followed by a refusal to have a simple discussion. Bidirectional communication is essential among people in a workplace or in most other group situations. Unidirectional communication is ultimately ineffective and unfair. Exempla, I thought you were better than this. Shame on you.

Overall Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lafayette, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment and the majority of people working there are pleasant to work with and professional. Emphasis on doing what is right for the patient and their families.

Cons

Not a lot of advancement opportunities. An attitude of if you are not an "RN" then you must not have much to bring to the table.

Not for profit, faith based Hospital serving downtown Denver

Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New building in 12/2014, lots of community feel, generally good teamwork with fair staffing. Upper management communicates well and are visible and accessable.

Cons

Currently in the process of merging all facilities from Exempla into Sisters of Charity of Leavenworth Hospital System. Lots of changes. St. Joseph's will be moving into a new (nice) building and it will be exciting but as always stressfull. Middle management appears stressed to keep up with the changes. Managers are not keeping staff informed causing a loss of commitment and a rise of poor morale.

Make better efforts to have managers treat staff like humans and not numbers. Acknowledge staff that are weathering the changes and giving their commitment to make things better.

Rapid Ascension, Positive Overall Experience

Former Employee - Site Director, Supply Chain Management in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Site Director, Supply Chain Management in Denver, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Improving the quality of patient lives. Educated work associates, high, but sometimes unclear expectations, manage under a myriad of tiered responsibilities, otherwise, a pleasurable and productive environment.

Cons

Overwhelming workloads, Long hours, low tolerance when asking for additional resources, little understanding when unclear expectations are not being met.

Be clear about expectations, Be understanding about volume of workloads

Unpleasant. My coworkers did everything they could to make my job harder and management did not help.

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Denver, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved the challenging atmosphere and it was never boring. The shift went by quickly and I loved the 12 to 8:30 shift.

Cons

As I said my co workers. I also felt the pharmacists took us for granted

Be more proactive in dealing with bullying

Just say no

Former Employee - Billing in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Billing in Broomfield, CO

I worked at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice building. Good insurance coverage for family. Casual dress code. Oracle cafe fantastic. Farm to fork and affordable. Very cool. Will miss the food.

Cons

Quick to terminate anyone not making quota without providing simple needs. No exceptions for absence even with a doctor note. Verging on labor law violations. Emerging big business finding loopholes to deny raises and bonuses. Stay away.

Value money intake and people. Remember who you are, Sisters of charity. .....

Good people, Bad Pay

Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Denver, CO

I have been working at Exempla Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the people I work with. This hospital supports team work and it shows in the company.

Cons

We are the lowest paid hospital in the area.