Expedia

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

424 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun place to work, good benefits, not a lot of upward movement

Director (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsLove the people, supportive environment, good perks and time-off is descent. You can ask for help and people actually respond and help you. Excellent diversity programs. They create a good personal community path as well as a work community environment. Cool wellness benefits.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level, there is not a ton of room for advancement. I've also had difficulty in promoting those on my team and can't seem to sort out why. I believe HR has a huge issue here. Also, our recruiting team needs a lot of work - so if you are applying...be patient - it's worth it to get to the other side but I don't think they leave a great impression (external AND internal). Comp is market average but some cool travel and wellness perks.

Excellent culture and benefits

Technical Product Manager (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsCompany is the right size for internal growth without getting lost in a mega-corporation. Lots of great collaborative tools in use. Open floor plan. Excellent benefits.

ConsVery large product. Moving faster than ever, but sometimes seems frustratingly slow. Many teams don't support working from home on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better salary adjustment over time/promotions to people who have long tenure in company in order to retain experienced employees.

Test Manager

Test Manager (Former Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsPositive work environment. Both teams and individual contributors are encouraged to cooperate. The travel benefits are nice. Group events budget was decent. Lots of dedicated people work there.

ConsManagement can't decide if it is a travel company with a technology focus, or a technology company with a travel focus. Thus a multitude of things are either not well thought thru, flip-flop often, or have the wrong priorities. Office space is at a premium, work space is tight, cramped and noisy.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer In Test

Software Engineer In Test (SDET) (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGood working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance

ConsPays less than average when compare to industry

Great place to work and casual work environment

Bellevue, WA

Prosgreat benefits, free drinks, personable managers that know how to work hard but also how to have fun while doing it. Excellent work / life balance.

ConsIt can get pretty political among the managers. There is definitely the occassional, "well that's not my problem, that's so-and-so's dept's problem...

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your business partners in a cooperative manner. Accept change, as the business is constantly growing and changing.

I am a manager in Analytics.

Analytics Manager (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsThe building is great, the hours are flexible and the people are very nice. If you are actively engaged, anything you want to learn about the company you can learn, and they are very open about the company's performance. Vacation and benefits policies are great, and being a vacation company, they are very understanding about time off and outside interests. It's a culture focused on "what you contribute and deliver", not "how many hours you work".

ConsTraining and development, while talked about, is sometimes lacking. People are willing to support you, but development is secondary and self-serve. Similarly with diversity, the company is definitely supportive but not necessarily proactive( the strong women initiatives are the exception). Compensation is decent but not generous enough for high performers to retain top talent. Expedia seems to often lose employees to higher paychecks and gain employees through better work-life balance.

Satisfaction depends on which organization you work for

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsExpedia, like most big companies, is split into silos in order to create more nimble and units. My unit provides clear direction, holds you accountable for things you can directly impact, and invests in the business appropriately. The company offers great benefits, gift matching, and a flexible work environment (depending on what business unit you work for) . I've worked for some of the big companies locally and this is by far the best one I've worked for.

ConsWorking between major business units is often slow, so major shifts in policy and or reaction to an area that might be important to the company (but less important to a particular unit) requires a lot of time, which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that major financial impact items are aligned with organizational structures. Teams will be more inclined to make agile changes when their budget and reporting is impacted.

Smart people, empowered to do my job, and a whole lot of fun.

Human Resources/Recruiting Personnel (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsOpportunity! Expedia truly rewards individuals who work hard, make contributions and get things done. The people are smart, friendly and really enjoy working with one another. There is a strong commitment to Women in the workforce, backed up by true executive commitment, development opportunities and career growth.

ConsOur team is a bit short staffed at the moment, although that is temporary until additional resources are hired.

Fun Culture, Exciting Work

Bellevue, WA

Pros- Great co-workers, exciting work. Interesting industry that is constantly evolving. Never boring yet still has a good work/life balance. Good benefits, fun office.

ConsConstant re-orgs and leadership changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep evolving and being flexible but limit amount of organization churn.

Sr. Recruiter

Senior Recruiter (Current Employee)
    Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat Employer brand, so it is easy to get candidates interested.
    Friendly environment
    Best work-life balance I have ever seen at a tech company!
    Scrappy and agile environment - willing to try small pilots and then scale when they work

ConsCommuting on 405 sucks.
    There has been a lot of turnover recently...from recruiting managers to recruiters

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!

Expedia Videos

Expedia – Why Work for Us?

Why Expedia? Because mornings are the best when you love your job. At Expedia, Inc. we are passionate about travel and revolutionizing it through the power of technology. Across the globe, our family of brands makes… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expedia reviews and ratings in Bellevue, WA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. All 424 reviews posted anonymously by Expedia employees.