Expedia Reviews

• Bellevue, WA

Awesome work life balance

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You cannot ask for a better work life balance when you are working for Expedia.
    There are ample opportunities within the company so you always have the option to switch roles, responsibilities, areas of work etc.
    The company encourages you to travel and compensates for your travel.
    Socially aware company, does an awesome job at encouraging philanthropy; matches 1:1, organizes social events, compostable cutlery etc.

Cons

No Stock option.
    Holidays do not carry over, which may not be a bad thing because it encourages you to take your days off.

Advice to Management

The companies stock hasn't grown much and with the long term outlook not looking great either.

Severely underpaid engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Work life balance
    decent coworkers
    Travel rewards are great
    lots of diversity

Cons

No appreciation for the excellent work,even if they acknowledge that it was a great work.
    Company is cheap in its rewards and promotions. Loyalty is emphasized more than merit. Avg +1s get promoted to insane levels. Old boys club. Need to be seen being closely related to someone in higher up or be visible with them for any recognition.
    Mgmt would like to dump your work to outsourcing teams at the drop of hat. So better be a sucker to their peanuts.
    Talent management is not a priority as they dont care for top talent.

Advice to Management

Increase to compensate well for performers.
    Need to groom and reward the talent a little bit better. Old timers and fan boys are clouding the reality.
    Now that Google is entering the business and getting ready to eat your lunch, see how you can fare if substandard fan boys.

Expedia Response

Mar 10, 2015Team Expedia

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. Expedia places an emphasis on talent and performance management. We provide a competitive total compensation package that ensures each business unit is able ... More

3. Great company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company cares for its employees and while individual groups or teams can be somewhat chaotic, the company as a whole is making forward progress in technology, both with new technology stacks and updating existing stacks as well as finally contributing back to the open source community. Benefits are excellent and compensation, while not necessarily always top notch, is at least competitive.

Cons

Depends on the team/group, of course, but it's often chaotic. If you can keep up, most people will do fine. Too much bureaucracy in front of technology actions and choices makes change sloooow or not happen.

Advice to Management

Bring back stock (RSUs or options) for compensation. Think through re-orgs before starting actually moving people around and don't forget to take knock on randomization such as communication DLs and documentation into effect.

5. Love the company, its culture and its growth

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

i'm very happy to be with Expedia. The role and responsibilities I take on every day is very challenging and very rewarding. It's my choice where I want to go in the company. Lots of opportunities as there's many Expedia brands to choose from: Hotwire, Car rentals.com and more

Cons

Not sure if this is a con but to succeed in this company and likely others you must be able to get along with your peers, have great communication skills, and be able to multitask.

Great company to work for, good culture, friendly and we're a big happy travel family.

Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel deals, employee share of voice, friendly environment, Great benefits & much more to add on in addition to decent compensation.

Cons

Moving up b/n teams has some limitation. Though each team/dept. encourages to move up in career ladder, the tricky system does not allow to be equally compensated. I mean to say that if they hire a external candidate the compensation is much better than moving within the system. HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up.

Advice to Management

Same as Above (HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up). Other than this, this company is a cool place to work, lots of learning, investment in technology keeps you challenged and learn more. Great working here.

Most amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

8. Expedia is the best!

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

#1 the people here are AMAZING, everyone is unique, smart, driven, fun, friendly and it is obvious that we all have the same goal of doing and giving our best to Expedia
    Other notable points:
    Networking opportunities
    Encourage growth
    Amazing benefits, PTO, insurance and other perks
    Competitive pay
    Networking opportunities
    Fun company events, photo opportunities etc
    I've never been more excited and passionate about working for a company.

Cons

I don't have much to contribute here, we're growing and expanding so quickly here in Bellevue headquarters so we're quickly running out of real estate space so we've been condensing and consolidating; not a bad problem to have considering other companies are experiencing constant layoffs.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

9. Enjoyable time working with a balanced company

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with a leader in travel, a huge industry, it's enjoyable to see your work change the travel space, and the impact quickly.
    The compensation is good (salary+benefits) and for the US, you start with more vacation than most companies and go up from there (15+ days)
    There is also a healthy work-life balance. Most days you can leave work at the door, and the door has sunlight still on it.

Cons

Expedia is not a small company and sometimes you can feel it. There is also an existing product, so it's hard to do something really different, but if you are creative you can make it work. Expedia is evolving, but I'm sure someone from a startup would find it naturally slow.

10. New employee to a new team and loving every minute

Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One thing that's standing out is the incredible positivity with everyone I've worked with. Our team has our fair share of technical issues/tool gripes and alignment woes across different teams and geographies, but it's good attitudes all around. I haven't seen egos take over conversations; everyone seems to be genuinely optimistic that we can solve problems together, and we're making progress! Work/Life balance is also much more achievable than I've seen at other companies. I don't work through every weekend anymore, and I feel happy to jump in when needed as a result.

Cons

Things move fast, and a lot of decisions happen off the record. It takes a bit of finesse to get up to speed and stay there, but folks seem really open to sharing info--you just need to know when to ask.

Advice to Management

Look into a better system for tracking ideas/process improvement projects that don't need immediate attention.

11. Exciting, fun, and innovative place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, work-life balance, room for expansion

Cons

Compensation not competitive with surrounding tech companies in the area