Expedia

3.9
1,060 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Most amazing company to work for!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

Be a Rockstar

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. If you're an A player, you will move to the top. This may mean sacrificing some of that work-life balance. To some, that may mean working an 8 hour day rather than a 5.

Cons

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. There are a lot of people who coast, or call a 5 hour work day "work-life balance".

When it comes to hiring, it is better to get a false negative than a false positive

Expedia is the best!

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

#1 the people here are AMAZING, everyone is unique, smart, driven, fun, friendly and it is obvious that we all have the same goal of doing and giving our best to Expedia
    Other notable points:
    Networking opportunities
    Encourage growth
    Amazing benefits, PTO, insurance and other perks
    Competitive pay
    Networking opportunities
    Fun company events, photo opportunities etc
    I've never been more excited and passionate about working for a company.

Cons

I don't have much to contribute here, we're growing and expanding so quickly here in Bellevue headquarters so we're quickly running out of real estate space so we've been condensing and consolidating; not a bad problem to have considering other companies are experiencing constant layoffs.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Good culture, especially if you are into giving back to the community.

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast paced. Opportunities to learn and grow. Love the matching charitable contributions. Good benefits.

Cons

Not the highest salaries. The downside of adding on lots of people is that the workspace is quite compressed.

Never a Dull Moment

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the ecommerce Risk department you'll be surrounded by intelligent analytical people who think two steps ahead. It's exciting and fast paced, never a dull moment. I have been with Expedia for five years.

Cons

This could be a pro or a con; there are several positions that seem the same in responsibility but are different in title/pay. Having this discrepancy can work in your favor when creating your own position based on a business need. It can be a thorn in your side when there's someone else out there doing your job with a better title and pay.

Consider sweeping all titles and pay grades and level the playing field.

Great company

Former Employee - Market Associate
    Former Employee - Market Associate

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits
    Lots of free time
    Good people

Cons

A lot of employees lie about production.

None

Love the company, its culture and its growth

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

i'm very happy to be with Expedia. The role and responsibilities I take on every day is very challenging and very rewarding. It's my choice where I want to go in the company. Lots of opportunities as there's many Expedia brands to choose from: Hotwire, Car rentals.com and more

Cons

Not sure if this is a con but to succeed in this company and likely others you must be able to get along with your peers, have great communication skills, and be able to multitask.

Love working at this fast-paced, upbeat, fun company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that employees are trusted for what they do. In circumstance after circumstance, I find that I am respected for my role because I was hired and have the job that I have. I appreciate the 5 year goals that the company is managed to at every level.

Cons

Fast-paced can be a double edged sword creating situations where you really can't get it all done.

Read your email -- all of it. Sometimes there is just so many meetings and so much email that requests are missed.

Great company to work for, good culture, friendly and we're a big happy travel family.

Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel deals, employee share of voice, friendly environment, Great benefits & much more to add on in addition to decent compensation.

Cons

Moving up b/n teams has some limitation. Though each team/dept. encourages to move up in career ladder, the tricky system does not allow to be equally compensated. I mean to say that if they hire a external candidate the compensation is much better than moving within the system. HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up.

Same as Above (HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up). Other than this, this company is a cool place to work, lots of learning, investment in technology keeps you challenged and learn more. Great working here.

Great work environment for self-motivated engineers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great balance of start-up culture with enterprise technology and support!

You never see anyone in a suit, there are free snacks / refreshments, great work life balance, awesome after-hours events.

Specifically for Engineers: rather than mandating the use of existing technology and processes, teams are instead encouraged to experiment with the new, assimilate what is found to work well, and share their newfound knowledge with others.

Also, I've been glad to find more gender-diverse engineering teams than I've seen at other companies.

Cons

If you're looking for your manager to tell you what to do every day and give you a big raise for doing only that, then this probably isn't the place for you.

As with any office, there are examples of political decision-making, etc. but I've found these to be the exception rather than the norm.

Keep the culture!