Expedia

Updated November 19, 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 127 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work - full of opportunities

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong growth in this space means that there are consistently opportunities to learn new things and take on additional responsibilities. Generous vacation policy and benefits.

Cons

The size of the Expedia brand within EI means that there is some added overhead associated with managing change or getting things done (but most teams work together well).

Really nice people, messed up management

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met here is sincerely nice. They help one another instead of throwing them under buses. I've not heard people complain about one another behind each other's backs either, even people who have been let go. The bar is set realistically on performance. You can choose to bust your bottom for a promo and be rewarded, or you can put in moderate effort and still get by OK. Projects are not thrust upon you, you are allowed to push back and have some autonomy.
    They are dedicated to charity in a very deep way. It's really impressive how much time and energy is devoted to non profit and charity events.

Cons

They haven't really decided if they are a tech company or a travel company. Hence, tech people may not be used to the politics of cross-brand initiatives. They are NOT customer centric in the least. Nor are they developer centric. They seem to be lost in the weeds, but have been addressing this lately with the ouster of the previous CTO. They seem to want to be more customer centric, and Dara proclaimed that Expedia is a travel company at the last all hands, so I guess that's the goal.

Try to be less top-down and homogenous white male. You have a lot of valuable women in this organization that are being passed over time and time again in favor of promoting white middle aged heterosexual Christian males. It's tired. Get over the frat house sausage fest.

Wonderful and challenging (in a good way)

Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, desire to take risks and focus on technology. Constantly changing, improving and upgrading

Cons

Limited scope for growth in company

More seating space. Open seating structure is not optimum.

Finally a company that supports the work of software developers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for Expedia for four months. My most important criteria when selecting a company during my job search this past year was a company that gets it. I mean a company that understands software engineering best practices and doesn't just pay lip service to them. I'm so sick right now of the general industry where "management agile" totally misses the point of the principles of Lean and XP when it comes to building software that works for the customer and whose creation isn't mired in bureaucratic processes which make it miss the point. Thankfully Expedia gets it! They make working on their software a pleasant experience. While the team I'm on isn't perfect, they do understand what's important to the customer and care about working with high face-to-face communication and collaboration. The tools and processes in place are state-of-the-art and the complexity at scale is managed very well. All around I am impressed by the entire operation and glad to work here. The benefits, pay, and work/life balance (which is extremely good) are all just icing on the cake.

Cons

There have been very few cons. I would characterize this as the best job I've ever had. There are still improvements that can be made. I feel that estimation is not well-understood or executed as well as it could be right now in my team. I also think that there could be more stringent filtering of user stories into the sprint. Sometimes we get stories that aren't well groomed, do not have well-defined acceptance criteria, or that are missing key sign-offs from collaborating teams. Most notably, the highly cramped space given to employees (essentially you get a four foot by two foot desk and a rolling set of drawers in an open area crammed up next to your co-workers) is a con that needs to be addressed soon before it becomes a bigger issue.

Fix the space issue, focus on smarter selection of user stories for sprints based on what is most valuable to the customer, and continue the emphasis on engineering excellence to keep velocity high.

Fast paced, energetic environment that makes it fun to come to work!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for a company that believes in work/life balance while still being an industry leader. We have a fantastic environment where my colleagues are top notch, supportive and I learn something new every day.

Cons

Not the highest paying company, however, work/life balance is immeasurable.

Maybe more of an investment into maternity leave.

Awesome place to work!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, fun events, fun people!, work-life balance, management support, interesting products, interesting challenges.

Cons

Not much to say here!

One of the Top companies to work for!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is very energetic and positive. The upper management is engaged and supportive. One of the best companies I have ever worked for! Internal movement is encouraged and supported.

Cons

People not passionate about travel and technology would not do well here.

The Perfect Blend of Travel & Technology

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HQ in the heart of Bellevue, fun collaborative working environment where high caliber results and work life balance are equally important.

Cons

None to report at this time.

Great atmosphere, casual environment with the best employees.

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to work if you're looking for a fast changing, innovative environment. This is a great place for fostering a test and learn environment which always leads to more learnings, whether they fail or not. The work life balance is awesome, you are not forced/expected to work on the weekends but always have the option. There are a lot of affinity/diversity groups to get involved with and the charitable programs are fantastic. Expedia employees really care about their surrounding areas and it shows with all the events they have. Most teams work well together and seem to all follow the same vision which is great for improving collaboration throughout the company and across the globe. There are always a lot of projects to get involved in which in turn help build skill set. I can definitely see myself being here for a few years to come and would recommend this company to a friend.

Cons

Sometimes it seems we move too fast and and could work on being more transparent. Seems a bit top heavy in some departments.

Focus more development on your entry level ICs and work to improve their skills. Continue in driving women's initiative efforts.

High energy environment with opportunities to make an impact

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

For me, the best part is knowing that if you want to make an impact, there are plenty of opportunities - whether suggested by others or found on your own. Creative solutions are embraced - and while it's a fairly large company, most teams don't face a lot of red tape to move ideas forward. Benefits are great and I really like working with a company that encourages volunteerism. Also like the relaxed, fun-loving atmosphere...definitely not stuffy in these parts.

Cons

Sure, no company is perfect and there can be challenges in any job. For me, the most frustrating thing can be the matrixed org which can sometimes lead everyone to think their opinion is equal on every topic. :) (on the flip side...there are great collaboration opportunities and most people are willing to lend time and talents when asked)

Engage more with front-line employees to help them connect to you and the company's vision/goals. The more they connect to you as leaders, the more passionate they will be to make that vision a reality.