Expedia

Expedia Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros:
  • "Some groups have good work life balance, and the culture is positive and friendly"
    in 87 reviews
  • "Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling"
    in 52 reviews
Cons:
  • "Though work-life balance can make up for some of the difference"
    in 31 reviews
  • "Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development"
    in 31 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Healthy Energetic Work

Manager, Software Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhat's great about Expedia is you get to work with really smart people to solve interesting and challenging problems in a rapidly changing industry. It helps that senior management presents a clear vision to the company; the focused execution of that vision has helped the company be very profitable and grow--the stock price has more than doubled since I started, and it's heading North.

Expedia has a really high level of ownership--everyone works hard, but has fun doing it. The pace is typically fast (not too fast, but it's fast). The teams are focused on being "agile", being part of "something bigger", and, of course, automating as much as possible--process is as important as product.

The work-life balance is constantly and consciously observed, so it's generally very healthy (my typical work week is 45-50 hrs/week--last week was slightly higher. Yes, there are kRaZy days, sometimes weeks, where everyone voluntarily throws it all on the line. However, these are rare and the efforts are highly/publicly recognized and rewarded--we do like to celebrate--then life kinda goes back to "normal".

Expedia has excellent benefits, too, so no complaints there.

ConsSame challenges you'd find in any "tech" company. It's a delicate balance of work effort between developing new features the company needs and keeping up with changes in technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing--it's working!

good company

Fraud Analyst (Current Employee)
Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

ProsThe comany has great benefits and has a nice work environent. The people are friendly and real. A great global company with room for job growth.

ConsThe pays seems a bit low for the job performed, but this is a function of the cheap labor market in Springfield.

Advice to Senior Managementgood management team

Lots of opportunity to learn and work with great people, but you must like high intensity work environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are great. Lots of opportunity for growth. Fast paced cutting edge technology.

ConsLong work hours. Always more work than people to do the work.

Dynamic people, Invigorating work and work/life balance

I have been working at Expedia full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is lots of energy in the Bellevue headquarters of Expedia, Inc. It is interesting to work with so many brands. The leadership is young and dynamic. They have a coaching mentality which fosters growth from within the company. I have never had a manager care so much about my career path. Creativity is encouraged. Employees are passionate about travel and as an employee you are encouraged to take vacation and recharge.

ConsParking is challenging and there is not a lot of room because the company is growing quickly. Takes a while to figure out how the structure works within the brands.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work with turning managing into coaching. The employees feel the difference.

fun place to work

I have been working at Expedia

Proslots of cutting edge technology

Consbusiness vision not clear, life work balance should be improved.

Not the best for contractors

Media Producer (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia as a contractor for less than a year

ProsPretty easy to pilfer free food and drinks in the hallways from meetings.

ConsAs a contract worker, they really do not care about you. Full-timers all seemed to enjoy working there.

Bloated organization, surviving based on smart workers.

Senior Software Development Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 8 years

ProsIf you want start and boost your career, Expedia is a OK company. However, you don't want to marry this company as you will get sucked into politics and you will start enjoying the treacherous bureaucratic culture.

ConsIf you work here 24 hours a day, forget your family and friends, you will be rewarded with 2 to 3 % raise, or else you will be shown door or ignored as substandard citizen in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from Booking.com

Mixed emotions

Network Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than a year

ProsPay and benefits are good. Opportunity to work with some talented people worldwide. Office environment is relaxed, sometimes too related. Has a lot of potential.

ConsNot much home/work balance - 50-60+hours is an unwritten expectation. Middle management is a revolving door. Expect a re-org every time a new Sr. Director walks in (every 2 years). Employee recognition is hollow. Micro-management is also common with little trust in SMEs. Individual thinking is discouraged. I have witnessed backstabbing and in-fighting. There is no encouragement for teams to work together - it is usually dictation. Not much opportunity to travel with a limited travel budget. Global company that doesn't think global - IT strategy is focused at HQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave higher standards for all levels of management. Stop hiring horrible managers and then firing them when they fail 2 years later. Allow organic change.

Awful Deceptive Manamgement , Massive issue with Nepotism

Software Developer (Former Employee)
Seattle, WA

I worked at Expedia as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe company is very set on their internal processes, which work well for running operations, tickets and dealing with hundreds of thousands of partners. The general worker population seems happy and theres definitely a corporate enviornment, but hardly an insurance company or bank. They do do offsight outings in and around Seattle.

Cons1. GSO group is run by inexperienced management that runs projects into the ground, treats consultants, consulting companies and folks that are not supporting their direct assent as replaceable regardless of the job done. They have even gone so far as to violate contracts and not pay expenses that were all ready authorized to people traveling from out of town. Even to try to avoid paying mileage to some employees who were trying to save the company money by driving instead of flying. Complete lack of respect.

2. Running of projects is purely done by day to day drama of who is on their favorite board. Complete lack of guidance in running projects is thrown at employees and consultants to avoid taking responsibility for project timelines.

3. Lots of infighting/turf wars with equivalent team in Geneva and really bad politics internally about who is doing what when it comes to specific tasks on the Project Task Board.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace those in GSO who currently run the technical operations and fairly treat those that are not W2s. You are going to find good consultants/contractors and employees dont like working with a treadmill that falls off into a black hole such as exists now. Dont violate existing contracts with anyone, period.

Company with good benefit

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat travel benefit including employee coupon, employee discounted website, travel agent card

ConsThe culture and value varies from team to team

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!

Expedia Videos

Expedia – Why Work for Us?

Why Expedia? Because mornings are the best when you love your job. At Expedia, Inc. we are passionate about travel and revolutionizing it through the power of technology. Across the globe, our family of brands makes… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expedia reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Expedia CEO Dara Khosrowshahi. All 701 reviews posted anonymously by Expedia employees.