Expedia Reviews

4.0
1,123 Reviews
Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great team environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

While I'm sure it differs from team to team, the one I'm involved with is wonderful! Everyone is really there to help each other out, but also push each other to do the best work possible. The atmosphere is positive, energetic and innovative.

Cons

There is constant change in the travel industry, which means constant change trying to keep up with new processes, rules, etc. This can be a little overwhelming for a new-hire, but you get used to going with the flow as you become more familiar with your position and the tools you work with.

Expedia Response

Feb 24, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your honest and detailed review. Thanks for being an important part of our team! Here's to great travel adventures to come!

Revolutionizing Travel through Technology

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Focused on driving value for customers
    Relentless, fast-paced innovation through technology
    Global footprint and expansion

Cons

Maintaining many independent brands diversifies the company but taxes shared teams

Continue taking every opportunity to leverage technology to improve the travel experience for customers. They should be delighted and raving to their friends about Expedia.

3. On par with the best in terms of culture an compensation

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

They have several good products to work on and there are great benefits and perks. The vacation time is very generous and you even get some extra money to spend while on vacation. Nice!

Cons

Too big and a little slow for those who want to make a real impact.
    I have to get to twenty words to submit this review

5. Expedia shines

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, Travel Opportunities, Entrepreneurial Spirit, Collaboration focused

Cons

Incredibly high pace of change, some misalignment between various leadership teams

Get team aligned, enforce decisions at all levels

6. Dynamic and Energetic

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The culture is very dynamic and focuses on innovation and growth. I appreciate that Expedia is a global company and that I feel so connected to my partners in the various regions around the globe. The atmosphere is positive, energetic and entrepreneurial. The combination of travel and technology creates a fast paced and exciting place to be. Join us!

Cons

With such an extensive brand portfolio, and one that is continuously expanding, there is a lot of change within the organization. In order to respond to that growth it requires adaptability and change management. It’s a big challenge, but one that we are working to tackle.

Continue to focus on talent and helping to support the development of team members. It’s worth the investment!

7. Great Benefits, Questionable Middle-Management

Current Employee - Agent
    Current Employee - Agent

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel benefits are outstanding, health benefits are the same

Cons

middle management are more concerned with gossip and clicks rather than consistent constructive management performances that would promote employee success rather than deter it.

Snap out of it - understand that you have a job because we have a job. Treat your people with respect - not disrespect - and put a stop to the nepotism.

Unclear direction

Current Employee - Technology Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technology Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move between different business units. Benefit package is competitive.

Cons

Technology teams tend to go thru immense change every couple of years. Management does not typically provide enough time for changes to have an impact before changing direction again making it difficult to succeed.

Communicate more effectively around changes, why are you making the change, what do you expect to achieve and in what timeframe. Allow teams time to execute and realize results before shifting direction again.

12 yrs with the company

Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Lots of growth opportunities, open door policy, great benefits (health, travel, education)

Cons

Lots of work.. But lots of reward if you deliver

New managers from the outside coming in need to value tenure

Great attitudes and Environment

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expedia focuses the majority of their energy on fostering a positive work environment. They know they are a call center and that call centers can get very boring and repetitive, so they work hard at keeping everyone in good spirits and they try their best to make it a fun work day. The supervisors are the true Rock Stars. Expedia brings in vendors from all across North America (Primarily Mexico and Orlando) to teach the employees about their specific resorts and these vendors will typically give away free trips, which is nice. They treat their entry level employees with respect and they understand that without the soldiers on the phones the company wouldn't be able to operate. They do offer the best benefit package than I have seen anywhere else. Very affordable health insurance across the board as well as things like fitness reimbursement, travel reimbursement, discounts at local and national businesses, and others. The fringe benefits of working in the travel industry are second to none. Discounted hotel rates for family and friends, and great discounts for yourself.

Cons

Communication channels from upper management to middle management and then middle to the employees is essentially non existent. While I was working there they underwent massive changes in their pay structure (making it harder to hit commission and then getting paid less when you do hit) and to their call process. These are massive changes and completely changes the atmosphere of the work place. The floor didn't receive these changes very well because they after a 3-4 week training on the old process, they tried to run you through a 4-5 hour crash course on the new process and expected you to completely change the way you talk to the customers. Due to these changes many of their top performing tenured agents left for other jobs. They do say they only promote within which might be true at other locations, but it was not evident at the Springfield location.

Actually promote from within

They NEED to communicate better, especially to the employees on the phones. Many huge changes were made and they would literally say "This is what my boss told me and it is all I know. So we have to do our best to work through it."

They are a $55 Billion company... They can afford to pay their sales reps more. While the majority of their revenue comes from their website, the employees on the phone are a very important role for the company. They are getting paid less than Verizon, AT&T, and Chase Bank, all of which also have call centers in the Springfield area.

Nice company to get a great balance of work and life. Good coworkers and great space

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very nice culture that respects others, decently fast paced, good technology stack

Cons

compensation is on the lower side, lots of projects that get started and then scraped, layers of management.