Expedia

Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Generally a good place to work at, Bellevue is a nice city to live too

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Lots of smart people, good environment, good work-life balance most of the time

Cons

Not as many opportunities for entry level business students/professionals

Working at Expedia - What you need to know

I have been working at Expedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Good benefits
    Excellent Paid Time Off
    Can make an impact
    Great co-workers
    Family friendly
    Cutting edge technology
    Leader in the online travel space

Cons

Salaries can be a little higher but they are just average.

Don't wait to bring in Talent. Hire more recruiters. Expedia is a great company. It still functions like a start-up but really needs to get more aggressive in attracting top talent. Great group of managers but they tend to work with just enough folks but can get caught not having enough resources when it gets super busy. Expedia really is a great company. It's the people that make the company. The management team can pretty much let most fly on auto pilot and you rarely hear of micro-management like you do over at some very large Seattle based companies. If you want to work for a company that values your work and input, then Expedia is the perfect place where you can hang your hat.

I love this techno-travel company, yo!

I have been working at Expedia (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia highly encourages creativity, taking action and working collaboratively to accomplish goals. The environment is very dynamic, ever changing, very fast paced and less political and bureaucratic than most corporate environments; You'll find a group of people, at all levels in all parts of the organization, that have one outcome in mind: to work together to create a great product and to uphold the mission to revolutionize travel through the power of technology. Expedia is also very dedicated to diversity and inclusion and giving back to communities. As soon as you enter the building there's a palatable energy! There are also great travel benefits, an onsite clinic and great health and wellness benefits. Because Expedia is in growth mode it affords a lot of professional growth opportunities.

Cons

Things change very quickly and could seem chaotic at times. Expedia is not an environment for the faint at heart. No stock offerings for most employees.

Dec 1, 2014Expedia Engagement Team

Thanks for the honest review. Yes, we move fast, but so does the travel industry. We're glad you're on our team.

The Perfect Blend of Travel & Technology

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HQ in the heart of Bellevue, fun collaborative working environment where high caliber results and work life balance are equally important.

Cons

None to report at this time.

Wonderful and challenging (in a good way)

Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, desire to take risks and focus on technology. Constantly changing, improving and upgrading

Cons

Limited scope for growth in company

More seating space. Open seating structure is not optimum.

Dec 1, 2014Expedia Engagement Team

We're working on extra space at HQ! We're growing for sure. Thanks again for your input.

Intern Experience

Former Employee - Summer Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Summer Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Work life balance good. Great pay for intern but below average pay for full time. Smart people. Lot of cool experiences for interns.

Cons

Not so great tech. Outdated. And Managers can be indifferent. Having Expedia in my resume didn't attract much companies, after internship.

Please consider good talent, and pay them well. Below average pay for Top 10 college grad won't attract cool talent. For Intern if you can pay well, they why the frugality for Full timers?

Really nice people, messed up management

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met here is sincerely nice. They help one another instead of throwing them under buses. I've not heard people complain about one another behind each other's backs either, even people who have been let go. The bar is set realistically on performance. You can choose to bust your bottom for a promo and be rewarded, or you can put in moderate effort and still get by OK. Projects are not thrust upon you, you are allowed to push back and have some autonomy.
    They are dedicated to charity in a very deep way. It's really impressive how much time and energy is devoted to non profit and charity events.

Cons

They haven't really decided if they are a tech company or a travel company. Hence, tech people may not be used to the politics of cross-brand initiatives. They are NOT customer centric in the least. Nor are they developer centric. They seem to be lost in the weeds, but have been addressing this lately with the ouster of the previous CTO. They seem to want to be more customer centric, and Dara proclaimed that Expedia is a travel company at the last all hands, so I guess that's the goal.

Try to be less top-down and homogenous white male. You have a lot of valuable women in this organization that are being passed over time and time again in favor of promoting white middle aged heterosexual Christian males. It's tired. Get over the frat house sausage fest.

Where are we going?

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Internet company so its about technology, engineering, design, analytics. Travel company so cool benefits related to that.

Cons

It's hard to pinpoint all the issues with this organization. I don't know where this company is headed. It's the market leader in its space so I think that lends itself to solid financial numbers but internally, this company does not have clear direction and leadership. Constant changes with little transparency which leads to a lack of trust and confidence in leadership and strategy. Not to say there aren't smart people but its a large company that seems to not be able to get out of its own way and causes its own internal issues. I'm assuming mergers and acquisitions don't help, especially if the work hasn't been put in to make it all gel.

The culture? There is no culture. It claims its an internet/technology company but there is no sense of culture and direction. Remember, "culture eats strategy for lunch", and if that's the case, then the long term outlook for this company ain't so good.

Needs stronger leadership, clearer vision, more transparency and time spent on culture, morale and strategy.

Great place to work - full of opportunities

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong growth in this space means that there are consistently opportunities to learn new things and take on additional responsibilities. Generous vacation policy and benefits.

Cons

The size of the Expedia brand within EI means that there is some added overhead associated with managing change or getting things done (but most teams work together well).

Dec 1, 2014Expedia Engagement Team

We love the vacation perks, too. How can a travel company not inspire our staff to travel?

TPM

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

0. Great benefits.
    1. Great people. Everybody I've had to work with is very smart. Committed. Wants to move forward.
    2. Great headquarters.
    3. Salaries within industry. And WA state does not have income task. A matching salary in any other state should be a lot higher if I want to receive the same paycheck.
    4. You choose your own growth path: individual contributor, manager, principal, etc. Independently of the title, you can shape your own success.
    5. Great communication from CEO. He has a blog and we can ask him any question we want. And he answers! Never before had a CEO delivered on his "open communication" promise before.
    6. Open communication of where the company is going, what's happening at every level.
    7. Free soda, sparkling water, milk.
    8. Lots of events: halloween contest, Xmas party for all the company, parties within groups in the company.
    9. Did I say really smart people? Granted, not every single person. But the majority.
    10. Particular groups of interest that you can join and attend depending on what you want to do.
    11. Great technology to work with. It's not the latest but only a little tiny bit behind.
    12. I can ask for whatever I want to be able to work better: ergonomic desks, monitors, mice, keyboards.
    13. You have the choice of a PC or a Mac.
    14. Work/Life balance is fantastic! Here I work over the weekend because I want to finish something. Not because I have to. It's not expected that I reply to an email over the weekend.
    15. We are strongly encouraged (and I believe it's almost mandatory), to take all the vacation. FANTASTIC! I haven't seen this in another company.
    16. Possibility to work in other cities where there are offices.

Cons

1. That it's not the 100% of people the ones committed to make it work.
    2. Relationships are very important here. What about delivery and facts? Not really. It's more about negotiation.
    3. Workspace is really tight. I have a desk and two tiny drawers. I don't mind the open space but I'd like to have more than two drawers and a desk a little bit wider.

Keep the communication open
    Promote people not based on how well they are doing in their current job but on what they could accomplish in the next one. Not everybody is a great manager.
    Involve everybody at all levels. I know it's hard because we are big and some people suffer from apathy. But keep working on it.
    Money, free time: those are always great ways to show someone your appreciation.