Expedia Reviews

Reset
4.1
Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • Work life balance is good if not great (in 138 reviews)

• Travel benefits are good (not excellent though) (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is normal for a corporate environment M - F hours vary by department in mine chose to work from 6:30- 3 with a 1/2 hour for lunch (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

1,166 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Reasonable hours, clear project goals, smart managers, always something to look forward to, generous health care coverage

Cons

None really, it's the best place I've ever worked

Expedia Response

Apr 20, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for the review - we're glad you're enjoying your journey with us!

2. Work hard play hard

Current Employee - Associate Market Management
    Current Employee - Associate Market Management

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great company culture, competitive atmosphere. Value work life balance and higher education. Internal growth opportunities. Competitive salaries and incentive programs independence encouraged

Cons

Very competitive to move up

Advice to Management

More one on one training for new hired

Top-Notch Company with Excellent Benefits

Current Employee - Senior Accountant I in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant I in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Atmosphere, People, Company Growth

Cons

Little to no room for advancement in certain departments

5. Great company with tons of growth opportunities

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time

Pros

Lots of new technology development, plenty to learn, benefits are at par with market standards, great work/life balance. The longer I work here, the more I like this company and its technology direction.

Cons

Some teams have horrible sr. leadership which can restrict growth. They promote excessive favoritism, no mentoring, politics & plenty of back biting. All the best if you fall with one of those teams.

Advice to Management

Leadership needs to take consider the feedback given on bad managers. People leave managers, not companies and some of the recent attrition in some teams has primarily been around horrible managers.

6. Fantastic Company

I worked at Expedia

Pros

I worked with incredibly smart people doing exciting work. Expedia continues to innovate in ecommerce, social media and travel.

Cons

My position involved lots of business travel. Business travel is fun when you are childless, but it was harder once I had children. My boss was supportive and great though, and I have no complaints.

7. Sad I left....

Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

Great company, fun, work hard/play hard culture. Work life balance is great. Senior management is approachable from the CEO, Dara, on down the ranks. Best place I have worked.

Cons

There are no cons I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.

Content Editor

I worked at Expedia

Pros

good environment, work and life balance

Cons

boring, repeat the same work

Great company, great benefits, opportunities for advancement... what more could you ask for?

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with Expedia for nearly 14 years and held various positions in multiple organizations throughout the company.

Biggest pros:

Majority of Executive Leadership truly cares about their employees and encourages growth both professionally and personally.

Compensation is very competitive taking into account work / life balance. Sure, you could probably make more money elsewhere but the other non-tangibles far outweigh that minor detail. If I wanted to work 80 hours a week and burn out in a year, there are other places in the greater Puget Sound to do that.

Vacation, Sick Time and Travel Benefits: As I've been around a long while, I have 5 weeks of paid vacation + holidays + sick time. It's not micro-managed like other companies. You just need to make sure your boss and team know dates you'll be out. Bottom line is, routinely get your work done and no one is going to bother you if you want/need to take a mental break. Also, we have "Leisure Travel Reimbursement" which means depending on how long you work here, Expedia will reimburse you for a portion of your Leisure Travel. Just book on an Expedia Inc. owned site, take your trip and when you get back, submit a receipt / copy of your itinerary and BAM... extra $$ in your account soon! Also, coupons! 10-20% off of various travel products, a website where you pay for your hotel what Expedia pays for your hotel etc!

Health Care etc. Fantastic benefits plans to choose from and currently, we have a contract with Qliance with a health care office downstairs in the Bellevue HQ Building which makes routine Doctors appointments super convenient. Oh.. did I mention if you do go there, that co-pays are covered? So there's that!

We have all the basics as well: 401K, Employee Stock Purchase Plan and a host of various corporate discounts from Software to Hardware to Travel related discounts through a multitude of partners.

In 2018... a new corporate campus in Seattle and from what I've seen... WOW is it going to be amazing!

Cons

For those living in the south end (South King and Pierce County) it's a commute... a long commute - but you do have options for carpool and mass transit if the position you are in afford you the option of a set schedule every day.

Advice to Management

Keep investing in your people and your customers. CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE is King! Keep driving!

Expedia Response

Jun 1, 2015Team Expedia

Thank you for your very thorough and thoughtful review! We're glad to hear that you are enjoying the journey with Expedia. If you have commute tips you'd like to share please do that through our ... More

Great job, tough to enter, tons of development if you seek it

Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in West Hollywood, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in West Hollywood, CA

I have been working at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

Great casual office work environment, lots of opportunity to get development, lots of autonomy in the role as long as you are performing well.

Cons

The salary isn't extremely competitive with other industries, and the goals set for bonuses are quite high and nearly impossible to fully attain.

Advice to Management

Lack of properly cascading details and goals, instead they micromanage individuals too much. Teams should be managed top down through appropriate managers.

11. Overall good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Laid back culture. Good work life balance.

Cons

Fast growth sometimes puts process on survival mode

Showing 1,166 of 1,214 reviews