Expedia

Expedia Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance(in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies(in 36 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development(in 31 reviews)

Really awesome, but it was a start up back then.

Market Manager (Former Employee) Las Vegas, NV

ProsAutonomy, flexibility, negotiation, stock options, relationships, great CEO, generous time off policy, great health benefits,

Conslack of leadership, bad management.

Fun place to work, good benefits, not a lot of upward movement

Director (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsLove the people, supportive environment, good perks and time-off is descent. You can ask for help and people actually respond and help you. Excellent diversity programs. They create a good personal community path as well as a work community environment. Cool wellness benefits.

ConsOnce you reach a certain level, there is not a ton of room for advancement. I've also had difficulty in promoting those on my team and can't seem to sort out why. I believe HR has a huge issue here. Also, our recruiting team needs a lot of work - so if you are applying...be patient - it's worth it to get to the other side but I don't think they leave a great impression (external AND internal). Comp is market average but some cool travel and wellness perks.

Awesome Company to work for.....

Concierge (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThey think of employee needs...

ConsThey are limited as for the cities you can work for them...

Advice to Senior ManagementCome back to the California Market

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent culture and benefits

Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsCompany is the right size for internal growth without getting lost in a mega-corporation. Lots of great collaborative tools in use. Open floor plan. Excellent benefits.

ConsVery large product. Moving faster than ever, but sometimes seems frustratingly slow. Many teams don't support working from home on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better salary adjustment over time/promotions to people who have long tenure in company in order to retain experienced employees.

Test Manager

Test Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsPositive work environment. Both teams and individual contributors are encouraged to cooperate. The travel benefits are nice. Group events budget was decent. Lots of dedicated people work there.

ConsManagement can't decide if it is a travel company with a technology focus, or a technology company with a travel focus. Thus a multitude of things are either not well thought thru, flip-flop often, or have the wrong priorities. Office space is at a premium, work space is tight, cramped and noisy.

Old school Microsoft style company.

ProsI really liked some of the teams the people they hire all seem to be really nice. Everyone's personality is similar very casual and easy going.

ConsThe work life balance is normal for a corporate environment M - F hours vary by department in mine chose to work from 6:30- 3 with a 1/2 hour for lunch. I was an intern for 6 months and observed so many people who were high stress and high work volume . Some handled it better than other I have seen many tears of overwhelm and stress. They don't seem to enjoy change too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think that managers need to have a better grasp on what is expected from each role . I think that there needs to be a better assessment of the teams skills.

Poor call center management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsThe company provided adequate training support for new hire employees and training for existing employees after significant changes.
    Good benefits (insurance, travel discounts, vacation time)

ConsManagement and Human Resources were ignorant of (or simply defied) employment law. Discrimination against protected classes was encouraged and sexual harassment was common. Whistleblowers received no protection and were punished for standing up to the illegal/inappropriate "status quo."

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement and Human Resources personnel need additional training in employment law compliance.

Expedia HR responded to this review

Jul 22, 2014

As a company, we take all feedback seriously - especially claims of harassment in any form. We have a dedicated, third-party hotline and Website that is equipped to take any information ... More

Excellent work environment and opportunity for GLOBAL advancement!

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsTraining was comprehensive; excellent pay and benefits; many different opportunity areas for advancement. If you are interested, there are several paths for advancement to GLOBAL positions.

ConsNot very forgiving if you have speed bumps crop up in your life. If you aren't able to be there when scheduled, you will be written up. Though it didn't happen to me, some of my co-workers were let go due to family emergencies that caused them to not be able to work their assigned shifts. If you are hired, be sure you can work without interruptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage upper management to audit their recruiters to be sure the recruiters are contacting the qualified applicants. I know some people who have applied but never received feedback advising them if they were considered or not.

Working for the World's largest OTA has it's benefits

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, flexibility, and good people to work with. Plenty of opportunity to create and take on projects that you are passionate about. Expedia's wide reach helps to build a worldwide network of valuable relationships.

ConsFor being a travel company the yearly travel benefit is negligible. Just like with any large corporation it's not always just about the results. You've got to put in the extra social time to really make a strong impression.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest. Sometimes you have to pay good money for technology that other smaller companies have and we need.

Enjoyable Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCasual work environment as well as great work life balance.

ConsMany silos combined with unwillingness to share information often made accomplishing assigned duties extremely difficult.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!