Expedia

Updated November 24, 2014
3.7

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 127 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work - full of opportunities

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Strong growth in this space means that there are consistently opportunities to learn new things and take on additional responsibilities. Generous vacation policy and benefits.

Cons

The size of the Expedia brand within EI means that there is some added overhead associated with managing change or getting things done (but most teams work together well).

I love this techno-travel company, yo!

I have been working at Expedia (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia highly encourages creativity, taking action and working collaboratively to accomplish goals. The environment is very dynamic, ever changing, very fast paced and less political and bureaucratic than most corporate environments; You'll find a group of people, at all levels in all parts of the organization, that have one outcome in mind: to work together to create a great product and to uphold the mission to revolutionize travel through the power of technology. Expedia is also very dedicated to diversity and inclusion and giving back to communities. As soon as you enter the building there's a palatable energy! There are also great travel benefits, an onsite clinic and great health and wellness benefits. Because Expedia is in growth mode it affords a lot of professional growth opportunities.

Cons

Things change very quickly and could seem chaotic at times. Expedia is not an environment for the faint at heart. No stock offerings for most employees.

Wonderful and challenging (in a good way)

Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Marketing Optimization Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, desire to take risks and focus on technology. Constantly changing, improving and upgrading

Cons

Limited scope for growth in company

More seating space. Open seating structure is not optimum.

Working at Expedia - What you need to know

I have been working at Expedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great work life balance
    Good benefits
    Excellent Paid Time Off
    Can make an impact
    Great co-workers
    Family friendly
    Cutting edge technology
    Leader in the online travel space

Cons

Salaries can be a little higher but they are just average.

Don't wait to bring in Talent. Hire more recruiters. Expedia is a great company. It still functions like a start-up but really needs to get more aggressive in attracting top talent. Great group of managers but they tend to work with just enough folks but can get caught not having enough resources when it gets super busy. Expedia really is a great company. It's the people that make the company. The management team can pretty much let most fly on auto pilot and you rarely hear of micro-management like you do over at some very large Seattle based companies. If you want to work for a company that values your work and input, then Expedia is the perfect place where you can hang your hat.

Really nice people, messed up management

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met here is sincerely nice. They help one another instead of throwing them under buses. I've not heard people complain about one another behind each other's backs either, even people who have been let go. The bar is set realistically on performance. You can choose to bust your bottom for a promo and be rewarded, or you can put in moderate effort and still get by OK. Projects are not thrust upon you, you are allowed to push back and have some autonomy.
    They are dedicated to charity in a very deep way. It's really impressive how much time and energy is devoted to non profit and charity events.

Cons

They haven't really decided if they are a tech company or a travel company. Hence, tech people may not be used to the politics of cross-brand initiatives. They are NOT customer centric in the least. Nor are they developer centric. They seem to be lost in the weeds, but have been addressing this lately with the ouster of the previous CTO. They seem to want to be more customer centric, and Dara proclaimed that Expedia is a travel company at the last all hands, so I guess that's the goal.

Try to be less top-down and homogenous white male. You have a lot of valuable women in this organization that are being passed over time and time again in favor of promoting white middle aged heterosexual Christian males. It's tired. Get over the frat house sausage fest.

Fast paced, energetic environment that makes it fun to come to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love working for a company that believes in work/life balance while still being an industry leader. We have a fantastic environment where my colleagues are top notch, supportive and I learn something new every day.

Cons

Not the highest paying company, however, work/life balance is immeasurable.

Maybe more of an investment into maternity leave.

Awesome place to work!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Culture, fun events, fun people!, work-life balance, management support, interesting products, interesting challenges.

Cons

Not much to say here!

One of the Top companies to work for!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company culture is very energetic and positive. The upper management is engaged and supportive. One of the best companies I have ever worked for! Internal movement is encouraged and supported.

Cons

People not passionate about travel and technology would not do well here.

The Perfect Blend of Travel & Technology

Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

HQ in the heart of Bellevue, fun collaborative working environment where high caliber results and work life balance are equally important.

Cons

None to report at this time.

Finally a company that supports the work of software developers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've worked for Expedia for four months. My most important criteria when selecting a company during my job search this past year was a company that gets it. I mean a company that understands software engineering best practices and doesn't just pay lip service to them. I'm so sick right now of the general industry where "management agile" totally misses the point of the principles of Lean and XP when it comes to building software that works for the customer and whose creation isn't mired in bureaucratic processes which make it miss the point. Thankfully Expedia gets it! They make working on their software a pleasant experience. While the team I'm on isn't perfect, they do understand what's important to the customer and care about working with high face-to-face communication and collaboration. The tools and processes in place are state-of-the-art and the complexity at scale is managed very well. All around I am impressed by the entire operation and glad to work here. The benefits, pay, and work/life balance (which is extremely good) are all just icing on the cake.

Cons

There have been very few cons. I would characterize this as the best job I've ever had. There are still improvements that can be made. I feel that estimation is not well-understood or executed as well as it could be right now in my team. I also think that there could be more stringent filtering of user stories into the sprint. Sometimes we get stories that aren't well groomed, do not have well-defined acceptance criteria, or that are missing key sign-offs from collaborating teams. Most notably, the highly cramped space given to employees (essentially you get a four foot by two foot desk and a rolling set of drawers in an open area crammed up next to your co-workers) is a con that needs to be addressed soon before it becomes a bigger issue.

Fix the space issue, focus on smarter selection of user stories for sprints based on what is most valuable to the customer, and continue the emphasis on engineering excellence to keep velocity high.