Expedia

3.9
1,073 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Most amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

Love working for Expedia!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Very healthy work-life balance - they encourage it
    * Lots of opportunity for social interactions, gatherings, celebrating occasions and holidays
    * Great culture of giving back to society.
    * Not very high stress levels
    * Great benefits - travel benefits, wellness benefits, employee assistance, medical second opinion programs, generous sick time, good vacation policy

Cons

* Promotions are hard to come by when you are an individual contributors and in lower level positions (i.e. Lower than director) At Director level positions or higher, it feels like promotions are easier to come by - can be a little discouraging to individual contributors
    * Can do a better job at recognizing and growing talent, and providing challenging opportunities to keep people engaged and excited

Never a Dull Moment

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

In the ecommerce Risk department you'll be surrounded by intelligent analytical people who think two steps ahead. It's exciting and fast paced, never a dull moment. I have been with Expedia for five years.

Cons

This could be a pro or a con; there are several positions that seem the same in responsibility but are different in title/pay. Having this discrepancy can work in your favor when creating your own position based on a business need. It can be a thorn in your side when there's someone else out there doing your job with a better title and pay.

Consider sweeping all titles and pay grades and level the playing field.

Love working at this fast-paced, upbeat, fun company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that employees are trusted for what they do. In circumstance after circumstance, I find that I am respected for my role because I was hired and have the job that I have. I appreciate the 5 year goals that the company is managed to at every level.

Cons

Fast-paced can be a double edged sword creating situations where you really can't get it all done.

Read your email -- all of it. Sometimes there is just so many meetings and so much email that requests are missed.

Great company to work for, good culture, friendly and we're a big happy travel family.

Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel deals, employee share of voice, friendly environment, Great benefits & much more to add on in addition to decent compensation.

Cons

Moving up b/n teams has some limitation. Though each team/dept. encourages to move up in career ladder, the tricky system does not allow to be equally compensated. I mean to say that if they hire a external candidate the compensation is much better than moving within the system. HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up.

Same as Above (HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up). Other than this, this company is a cool place to work, lots of learning, investment in technology keeps you challenged and learn more. Great working here.

Very appreciative of their employees

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great company, good benefits, attracts a certain type of employee.

Cons

moving up may be difficult after huge hiring spree

Try not to over manage lower level employees

Great Company

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

This place is full of smart, good people who are passionate about travel and leading the online travel space. Work/life balance is good in most groups, and the pay and benefits are mostly on par for the area and type of work.

Cons

Promotions can be hard to get as the orgs are relatively flat (which is a good thing in my opinion) and people tend to stay once they reach Senior Manager or above.

Stock options would be great, the senior leadership has been rewarded quite handsomely from this benefit. It would be great if we had a plan that was close to what other local companies like Amazon, T-Mobile, Microsoft or Starbucks offers for mid-level employees.

Great company, still working out some processes

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Smart, fun colleagues, work/life balance, push for excellence, great benefits, fun culture, growth opportunities

Cons

Processes need to be streamlined, need a stronger push for innovation, better telework policies, open workspace makes it hard to focus/get work done.

You have a lot of really motivated, talented people on your team, but disjointed processes and legacy systems prevent us from doing our best work. Remove these blockers and we'll be able to do really innovative work.

Be a Rockstar

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. If you're an A player, you will move to the top. This may mean sacrificing some of that work-life balance. To some, that may mean working an 8 hour day rather than a 5.

Cons

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. There are a lot of people who coast, or call a 5 hour work day "work-life balance".

When it comes to hiring, it is better to get a false negative than a false positive

Love the company, its culture and its growth

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

i'm very happy to be with Expedia. The role and responsibilities I take on every day is very challenging and very rewarding. It's my choice where I want to go in the company. Lots of opportunities as there's many Expedia brands to choose from: Hotwire, Car rentals.com and more

Cons

Not sure if this is a con but to succeed in this company and likely others you must be able to get along with your peers, have great communication skills, and be able to multitask.