Expedia Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 36 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Love this company, dislike my group

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people to interact with both professionally and outside of work. Decent pay. Great benefits. Awesome community engagement.

Cons

If HR doesn't want you to transition or wants to have a say in an internal transition you will be blocked. How do you grow in a company if you are not able to move around and experience other groups and organizations?

Encourage employees that are hungry to move internally without having HR have the say of whether the employee can really do so or not. To be told that the team needs you and you aren't finished with your work on the team after 2.5 years, when the employee is clearly ready for a new and possibly bigger challenge is a great way to encourage your talent to leave.

Solid employer, but you need to advocate for your own career growth

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are nice, and work/life balance is much nicer compared to other regional tech companies

Cons

Perpetual re-orgs and politics can make upward mobility tough. You can spend months winning favor with a director or VP and then *poof* they are gone and it's like no one knows you or your work.

Stop being afraid. Operationally we are REACTING. There are numerous ecommerce companies with far bigger footprints that move more nimbly. Look at netflix, amazon, google. If they aren't afraid of the technical risks, why should we be?

Good Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. Recommends this place.

Cons

Can't think any at the moment

Can't think any at the moment

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

No room for being unhappy.

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

After working for two fortune 500 companies this is easily the best company that I have worked for. Benefits are amazing and huge work life balance. Average starting for an hourly person is between 14-16 an hour. Most of the people in management has started on the bottom and moved up quickly after some development and coaching. More tools in your tool box then you will ever need. Plenty of chances to travel and take ownership of your work. I started in management and love every bit of what I am doing. I control my own hours and I come to work in jeans, T-shirt, vibram five fingers and gauged ears. Love it

Cons

Needs more cooperation between departments. Some departments are lazy while most pick up their slack. Also a lot of complaints about having to actually do work.

Let become a top ten place to work by staying ahead of the curve on tech,processes and perks.

It's ok...

I worked at Expedia as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Talented people, group support, and motivation.

Cons

Projects being pushed through with too much oversight. Our particular project ended up scrapped after 3 months into it. Waste of time, resources, and patience.

Too many barriers for groups to efficiently work together.

Great Company, Sometimes Questionable Middle Management

Former Employee - Training Manager
    Former Employee - Training Manager

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Fantastic perks (discounts on hotels, airfare, attractions, etc)

Cons

Hire people who fit in the "Expedia" culture.

I worked for the company for years and seen my fair share of people come in and go out. Please hire people who are a good fit for the company culture. My last boss was a robot who lacked any sort of emotional intelligence. The organization thrives based upon a its passionate, engaged workforce. I believe "chemistry" has a lot to do with why Expedia is successful. Why hire individuals who are not team oriented, look for new and creative ways to avoid co-workers, and would be absolutely fine with having "no" human interaction? In the end attitude matters, if you plan on hiring a department head they better know a thing or two about motivating and empowering a team.

it ssucked

Former Employee - Cruise Travel Agent  in  Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Cruise Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

no pros everybody just whines about calls

Cons

management micro managin
    no room to advance

dont micro manage

Great company for starters

Former Employee - Lodging Operations Agent  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lodging Operations Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company have one of the best benefits, pretty good training systems and great working environment.

Cons

One of the big challenges working at Expedia is that the employees rotation specially at the call Center area are huge. Leadership in that department are very week and low desire for support new hires. Compensation is one of lower considering the size of the company and personal growth incentive in the company are none. You have to manipulate people inside to get moved to better position even if you have a pretty good experience in any department inside over there you still have to manipulate people inside to get promoted.

As I said this company is a very good company for people that desire to start in travel business and do not have experience at all. Start at the Call Center area, get advantage of the school incentives that they provide. Finish school and try to move for better position inside over there, if that doesn't work get your experience later and find a better company to your career that you have chose.

Didn't enjoy the competitive office politics - uncomfortable

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Location is nice if you live on the north side - nice to have a job in this economy. Some people were nice.

Cons

Compensation could have been better; loose procedures; stiff hierarchical culture.

Lighten up - celebrate more.

Fun but lacking in direction

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator  in  Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Expedia is a nice, stable place to work for the most part. The people are great and the environment is fun and rewarding.

Cons

Lack of technology direction and the size of the company causes some poor decisions. What you are working on today may change completely overnight and you are left directionless. They drive to do more with less causes most groups to be severely short-handed and the current technology direction is alienating most of their prior staff causing massive turn-over.

Go back to what you were doing better a few years ago. Focus more on your current employees and give them more aid in what they need now.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!