Expedia

Expedia Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance(in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies(in 35 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development(in 31 reviews)

never ending learning adventure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

ConsYou have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach

Excellent culture and benefits

Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsCompany is the right size for internal growth without getting lost in a mega-corporation. Lots of great collaborative tools in use. Open floor plan. Excellent benefits.

ConsVery large product. Moving faster than ever, but sometimes seems frustratingly slow. Many teams don't support working from home on a regular basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide better salary adjustment over time/promotions to people who have long tenure in company in order to retain experienced employees.

Working for the World's largest OTA has it's benefits

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits, flexibility, and good people to work with. Plenty of opportunity to create and take on projects that you are passionate about. Expedia's wide reach helps to build a worldwide network of valuable relationships.

ConsFor being a travel company the yearly travel benefit is negligible. Just like with any large corporation it's not always just about the results. You've got to put in the extra social time to really make a strong impression.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest. Sometimes you have to pay good money for technology that other smaller companies have and we need.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work environment and opportunity for GLOBAL advancement!

Sales Agent (Former Employee) Springfield, MO

ProsTraining was comprehensive; excellent pay and benefits; many different opportunity areas for advancement. If you are interested, there are several paths for advancement to GLOBAL positions.

ConsNot very forgiving if you have speed bumps crop up in your life. If you aren't able to be there when scheduled, you will be written up. Though it didn't happen to me, some of my co-workers were let go due to family emergencies that caused them to not be able to work their assigned shifts. If you are hired, be sure you can work without interruptions.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would encourage upper management to audit their recruiters to be sure the recruiters are contacting the qualified applicants. I know some people who have applied but never received feedback advising them if they were considered or not.

Great place to work and casual work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

Prosgreat benefits, free drinks, personable managers that know how to work hard but also how to have fun while doing it. Excellent work / life balance.

ConsIt can get pretty political among the managers. There is definitely the occassional, "well that's not my problem, that's so-and-so's dept's problem...

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with your business partners in a cooperative manner. Accept change, as the business is constantly growing and changing.

Great company to work for

Localization Quality Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosvery good work/family life balance

Consleass opportunities to move up in my career

Extremely innovative and great atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe team atmosphere is great and everyone works together, people just help eachother out all the time. Also there are no internal hierarchies, everyone treats everyone the same way. They are really innovative and try to improve their processes ALL THE TIME. Everyone is really nice and super creative, and you get praised and compensated all the time.

ConsAs in any big company, I guess the amount of work is sometimes a little bit too much, although you always get rewarded for it one way or another.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to suggest really, all managers I had were really nice and super flexible.

All good

Senor Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosmoney security is important and offers you good comp plan vs, others companies.

ConsPolitical, very political. Moves very slowly

Satisfaction depends on which organization you work for

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsExpedia, like most big companies, is split into silos in order to create more nimble and units. My unit provides clear direction, holds you accountable for things you can directly impact, and invests in the business appropriately. The company offers great benefits, gift matching, and a flexible work environment (depending on what business unit you work for) . I've worked for some of the big companies locally and this is by far the best one I've worked for.

ConsWorking between major business units is often slow, so major shifts in policy and or reaction to an area that might be important to the company (but less important to a particular unit) requires a lot of time, which can be frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that major financial impact items are aligned with organizational structures. Teams will be more inclined to make agile changes when their budget and reporting is impacted.

The best company I have ever worked for

Test Lead (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExpedia is the best company I have ever worked for. The best thing that I liked about working there is the amazing work-life balance everyone manages to strike. The work environment is very conducive to creativity and growth. They are really passionate about travel and I just loved that.

ConsReally cannot think of any cons. But if I simply had to state one then it would be limited growth opportunities in the technology sector.

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!