Expedia Reviews

Reset
4.1
Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • Work life balance is good if not great (in 138 reviews)

• Travel benefits are good (not excellent though) (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is normal for a corporate environment M - F hours vary by department in mine chose to work from 6:30- 3 with a 1/2 hour for lunch (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

1,254 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Reasonable hours, clear project goals, smart managers, always something to look forward to, generous health care coverage

Cons

None really, it's the best place I've ever worked

Expedia Response

Apr 20, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thanks for the review - we're glad you're enjoying your journey with us!

2. It is a very professional place to work at I look forward to coming to every day.

Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Test Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

flexible schedule ability to work when you want to and as much as you need to.

Cons

No cons at this time.

Advice to Management

Compensation with RSU's (restricted stock units) - they have been giving less of these and I feel they should give more.

3. Everyday I learn something new

Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

One especially positive thing that I can say about Expedia is that there are not a lot of politics here.

Cons

I'd say it's a "con" that the peers here are not at all willing to share information and knowledge with others.

Advice to Management

Focus of improving the training of new people as they are unable to get trained by peers.

Attracting top talent around the world....

Current Employee - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Expedia attracts top IT talent which breeds a dynamic, energetic work environment. At Expedia, you have the opportunity to work with extremely bright, creative teammates and work on some really innovative products in the online travel space. As a global company, you have the opportunity to interact with colleagues from around the world and learn how business and technology challenges differ in the travel markets around the world. Expedia also encourages cross-team movement through internal transfers so there are a lot of horizonal and vertical career opportunities available to every employee. There are "softer" benefits as well such as excellent benefits, great travel deals, employee morale events, and education opportunities. There is a fairly high level of communication from the executive team, in fact you might hear more from the CEO than your own divisional leadership. Most importantly though, Expedia is the world leader in online travel and employees seem to take a lot of pride knowing that they are working for the market leader in their space, driving towards continued domination.

Cons

While it is the dominant online travel company, Expedia is a software company at its core. Born from Microsoft, at times it feels weighed down by bureaucratic processes and layers of middle management. These inefficiencies make it much harder to innovate rapidly in a business that demands it. Your experience and level of cooperation between business and technology will vary tremendously from group to group and is dependent on high levels of trust and communication amongst senior management. This is probably the most important question you can ask interviewing at Expedia as an external hire: try to get a good understanding of the level and frequency of communication between divisions and whether employees are satisfied with the status quo. There is also limited opportunity to innovate outside of your stated objectives, especially at lower levels. Resources are allocated to projects and teams through a very hierarchical process, and far in advance of actual assignments so planners have a difficult time adding in small projects or enhancement requests once annual resources have been budgeted. Again, this is also something that varies widely from team to team.

Advice to Management

To the executive team: You're doing a great job with employee communication and morale. There is an appropriate level of transparency and we appreciate the frequent updates and townhalls. We need to work faster though; find more efficiencies in SDLC processes rather than adding steps and layers. As Expedia expands globally we are competing with nimble start-ups but working at the pace of a legacy giant.

6. A lot of hard work, but great people

Current Employee - Market Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Market Manager in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Intelligent colleagues. Great industry. Market leader.

Cons

Always feels short of people which means everyone works hard.

Advice to Management

Invest in the long-term!

7. Expedia is a great place to work

Former Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Amazing people, world-class product and the opportunity to win in the marketplace. In addition to all those things, the culture is welcoming of innovation and getting stuff done. The organization creates good opportunities for smart people to do more.

Cons

* The organization has grown so large that it is sometimes hard to get things accomplished. Bureaucracy has grown over the years. * Move to Seattle so folks don't have to commute to Bellevue *

Advice to Management

* Invest more time in giving the best people opportunity to do more. * Make big investments to win internationally

8. Happy enough

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Free drinks and hotel discounts.

Cons

They're going to make us pay for parking

Advice to Management

Keep up the fight

Expedia - Why "Travel" To Somewhere Else?

Current Employee - Program Manager
    Current Employee - Program Manager

Pros

You are not just "another body" at Expedia--you are a somebody. Granted, there are exceptions within the company which may have a different group dynamic or personal hardships for people. But for yours truly who has worked at two major companies over the past 18 years (Microsoft being one) the old adage "third time's a charm" holds true. The worst here at Expedia is the best I've had at other companies. It truly is a great place to work, and I still have a smile on my face when coming into the office each day. I saw some headers of the other reviews prior to submitting my own, and all I can say is they must not have had enough years in their careers or worked at other companies. (A frog in a well cannot see the ocean.) For me, this is the first company I can seriously consider retiring with. Expedia is a big company but still has the charm of a smaller one. There is no true perfect place to work for all have their pros & cons, it's just how you perceive things along with the attitude you present to your co-workers and management. If you are a hard worker, you will be appreciated here at Expedia. In life and work is there really no greater reward? I thank God each and every day for the hardships I’ve slogged-through at other companies, otherwise, Expedia would just be another place to work instead of *THE* place to work for me. I’m here on Saturday (of my own free will mind you) and still have a smile on my face.

Cons

It's a 27-minute drive into work (each way). Other than that, I'm still thinking...

Advice to Management

Please don't look at other companies and follow their path. Even though Expedia may not be 100% perfect, no company is. It's when they think they can achieve perfection everything starts spiraling downwards. Happy employees = great work environment = more work gets done *right* = happy company.

Great leadership, fast growth, plenty of opportunities to leave your mark

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

Pros

The executive leadership across Expedia is top-notch from our CEO to our divisional leaders. Bright, strategic, innovative, and really push others to raise (and clear) the bar. This isn't a hierarchical organization. Employees are encouraged, and expected, to speak up, work hard, raise flags, and find new ways of operating. The leaders speak frankly are both realistic and motivating at the same time. Dara (our CEO) especially is believable. He is whip-smart but can also speak to the masses in a clear and engaging way. There is a lot of opportunities for you to make your career your own. You don't come and stay in the same job for 5 years (unless you want to); rather you can gain new experience simply by raising your hand. People aren't overly concerned about titles here; as long as you have something to say and are willing to pitch in to get things done then you can basically make your own way. This is really motivating to those who want to see their fingerprints within a company v. being part of a large machine.

Cons

It's still a fairly new company so there are kinks when you are growing so fast, performing so well and creating structure on-the-go. There could be better processes in place but those are often resisted by this go-go crowd. The result is often inconsistency or simply re-building from scratch a lot of time. Because of some of the younger talent, there are more evident gaps in people management. A lot of your experience depends on how well your manager delegates & communication & looks out for your development. While that is true at most places, some managers at Expedia can lack either the experience or time to do these important steps. That said, many managers are brilliant at it. The key is to ask for what you need - repeatedly, if needed. Expedia gives a lot of leeway so you need to take control of your own path, too.

Advice to Management

Invest in the development of the employees you have in addition to seeking new talent. Diversify at the senior-level. There's a lot of white men visible at the top. Continue to communicate openly and frequently. Upgrade our internal tools, like a better intranet, so we operate as flawlessly internally as we do on the consumer side.

Stop hiring outside executives whose come with pre-notion that current technology choices are wrong.

Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Oppurtunities to prove yourself. Support to improve and enhance skills. Fair compensation. Work-Life Balance.

Cons

Move to downtown (worst decision by management in my 5 years) Offices for managers and cubicles for employees. (second worst decision). This will create a sense of in-equality. Increasing beurocracy. Lots of time is wasted in fruitless and/or redundant discussions and meetings.

Advice to Management

Bring back and retain people who are Technology and Business driven (Many original Expedians have left and are leaving out of frustration over the direction company is moving). Expedia is a retail business driven by technology innovations. It needs a balance. Stop hiring outside executives whose come with pre-notion that current technology choices are wrong and something new will just work fine. We have gone thru several re-orgs (many time coming full circle back) and wasted tens-of-millions of doller on third-party products.

Showing 1,254 of 1,309 reviews