Expedia Reviews

4.0
1,149 Reviews
Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great team environment!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While I'm sure it differs from team to team, the one I'm involved with is wonderful! Everyone is really there to help each other out, but also push each other to do the best work possible. The atmosphere is positive, energetic and innovative.

Cons

There is constant change in the travel industry, which means constant change trying to keep up with new processes, rules, etc. This can be a little overwhelming for a new-hire, but you get used to going with the flow as you become more familiar with your position and the tools you work with.

Feb 24, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your honest and detailed review. Thanks for being an important part of our team! Here's to great travel adventures to come!

Executive's actions speak louder than words

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

Travel is fun and exciting

Cons

Executives at Expedia have launched a campaign to "hire more female leaders", but they continue to fail to see that female leaders already exist in the company. Over the last 5 months the emails touting promotions of over 25 males only listed 1 female. I personally know at least a dozen women who have outperformed several of the promoted men and go unrecognized. Look at the number of female C level, VP's and Sr. Directors in the IT organization - it is a fact that Expedia discriminates.
    From what I've seen in the years I have been there, men get promoted based on the buddy system and not necessarily performance. Women are looked over time and time again. As a female, if you'd like to work here, just realize you can only rise to a certain level as you will be working for a company who will never see you as a leader no matter what you accomplish nor recognize your worth. I worked for many years at Boeing where I though chauvinism couldn't get any worse. While there as a software engineer, I was asked to make copies for the male dominated group and even go get donuts and coffee for meetings. Well, Expedia beats Boeing times 100 easily. At Expedia, we've had 5 offsite meeting in the group I am in over the past 2 years. Each time one of the 4 women (out of 20 men) are asked to bring the paper, charts, pens, sticky notes and make the room reservations. We are all equals or even more senior to some of the men that attend. None of the men have ever been asked to help organize an offsite.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on recruiting female leaders and start promoting within.

Apr 17, 2015Team Expedia

Thank you for your feedback about your experiences. As you mentioned, Expedia has a dedicated program focused on building a broad, diverse workforce across all levels of our organization. If you ... More

Revolving door for those in senior management; zero commitment to diversity particularly women executives; lack of ethic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Travel is an exciting space

Cons

CEO and Chairman are ethics-free and treat employees, including their executive team, as "tissue paper"'; they use them up and spit them out. Do not work for this company without a solid employment agreement and a great lawyer. There is no such thing as an employee at Expedia; you are always a contract worker so be sure you have a good contract and a great lawyer to battle these guys when they try to welch on it.

Advice to Management

Get a professional HR department and start to hold yourselves accountable to 20th century workplace standards for women and employees in the US.

Sweat Shop

I worked at Expedia

Pros

This company had some of the better beginning salary levels for the Springfield, MO area. The building had an in-house deli so lunch was convenient. Many of my co-workers were some of the nicest people I've ever met.

Cons

The company's CEO is foreign and it seems that some of his expectations for employees borders on a sweat shop mentality. There was a nice bonus system when I started but by the time I left, the structure had been changed in such a way that making a monthly bonus was all but impossible. Also, while the company started people out a little higher than normal for the area, the yearly raises were quite modest. Call volume seemed to increase to the point where an employee didn't have as much as three seconds between constant phone calls. The company rolled two separate deparmental job functions into one, attempting to get twice as much work out of each employee while providing no reward. There was such an emphasis on metrics, that good management was impossible.

People who were promoted were not usually the brightest, the most deserving or the ones who had been there the longest. They were more likely the ones who went out drinking with in-crowd.

As a travel company, this company was busiest on holidays so anyone who values holidays with family will be disappointed here.

Advice to Management

CEO's salary is obscenely high. Hard working employees are not adequately rewarded. Some of the "morale boosters" such as passing out hot chocolate fall flat since they come on the heels of destroying the bonus structure. Grown people need grown people salary and bonus structures. Offering hot chocolate or telling people they can come to work in their pajamas is insulting. Grow up. These don't boost morale, they destroy morale.

Apr 22, 2015Team Expedia

We always appreciate hearing employee feedback. Recent business changes were made in an effort to align plans across the company, create achievable goals, create clearer and more robust career paths ... More

Expedia.com

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Time off is good, but many departments require holidays. Benefits are could be better, but not as bad as many places.

Cons

Compensation is terrible for the amount of work. The technology is poor, so poor that it makes you frustrated on a daily basis because you can't help your customers. Management is burned out and it shows. No team spirit or bonding. The manager seems to have some control issues .

Severely underpaid engineers

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Work life balance
    decent coworkers
    Travel rewards are great
    lots of diversity

Cons

No appreciation for the excellent work,even if they acknowledge that it was a great work.
    Company is cheap in its rewards and promotions. Loyalty is emphasized more than merit. Avg +1s get promoted to insane levels. Old boys club. Need to be seen being closely related to someone in higher up or be visible with them for any recognition.
    Mgmt would like to dump your work to outsourcing teams at the drop of hat. So better be a sucker to their peanuts.
    Talent management is not a priority as they dont care for top talent.

Advice to Management

Increase to compensate well for performers.
    Need to groom and reward the talent a little bit better. Old timers and fan boys are clouding the reality.
    Now that Google is entering the business and getting ready to eat your lunch, see how you can fare if substandard fan boys.

Mar 10, 2015Team Expedia

We're sorry to hear you feel this way. Expedia places an emphasis on talent and performance management. We provide a competitive total compensation package that ensures each business unit is able ... More

Customer Service - Cruise

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Cruise in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Cruise in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Poor and very inadequate training!

Advice to Management

Change your training staff and procedures!

9. Company With No future.

Former Employee - Senior Technical Support
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Support

I worked at Expedia

Pros

-Great pay
    -Great Co workers
    -Great benefits.

Cons

The company has no direction, and management on the IT side is useless. The company will hire you, then fire you with no true motive. This has to have been one of the worst companies I have worked for. Things started off on the right foot, until they switched management completely.

Advice to Management

Change your IT management as quickly as possible, your end users will suffer due to the techs being over worked.

10. Lodging Support Operations Agent

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Good Benefit Package (with good private healthcare);
    -Free drinks;
    -Salary is good for that position compared to the average in CZ;
    -Nice, young and international evironment;

Cons

-Managers don't really care about your personal skills, you are just one among hundreds puppets, and we are not allowed to improve the performance of the company due ridicolous restrictions, and this is not really "customer service" friendly; sometimes we give a very poor service.
    -Keep hiring people from outside, make current employees in a bad mood, and it affects the performance.
    Look inside your company, there are a lot of good people, which qualities are completely ignored by managers.
    Without a solid possibility of professional growth, everybody will leave within one year, if not less.
    -Promotion of equality is of the point of the company and of the Labor Code. Well, keep rejecting it without reasons meanwhile other people are allowed to go on holidays for two weeks during the high season, it's not really equality.
    Another point that affects employees mood and perfomance as well.
    - Traning was fine when managed by people that have worked as agents, they know how it is the job on the platform, and can give practical ad real examples.
    -Localization is inefficient. Europe is far from US culture.
    - They pretend flexibility from the employee but their rules are too stricht, it means: if you arrive 1 minute later, it's a big issue. You if get a call after 6, then you may work 20 minutes after 6, without getting paid, and nobody will notice it.
    -Some people are constantly in queue work, meanwhile others work for them as well.
    If there is a lunch schedule EVERYBODY should respect it, othewise there is no reason to call it team.
    This clearly shows a gap from the management.

Advice to Management

- Make every single employee counts, respect intellectual skills and individuality, most companies do it, and they have higher levels of motivation, related performance and labour retention.
    -Give real possibility to grow professionally.
    -Working with international people means working with expats. Let them go home. Give Holidays.
    -Make the management more interested in people, new hires sometimes are just abbandoned on the platform and nobody really cares if they need some help.

Expedia is by far the worst company I have ever worked for or experienced.

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most often a pretty decent work life balance. The office is pretty empty by 6 pm. Good benefits.

Cons

I expected the politicking to be better than other employers where you're rewarded for how well you can promote yourself rather than actual work accomplished. I was assured that the formal review process isn't a big deal and people just all work together against common goals choosing the best technology. Unfortunately I was in for some big surprises.
    At Expedia project related metrics are ignored to promote oneself or put down other honest hard workers. Many levels of management buy into this game and HR is often involved in telling employees what they have done wrong. There is no feedback loop. I've seen many cases where no notice or interaction was given that complaints were being made. One day you're fine the next day you're on a chopping list. And once you find out it's too late.
    Entire teams have stolen credit for work they didn't do and have also shifted the blame for their own mistakes. Senior management is acquiescent of these practices.
    Bellevue headquarters suffers from over crowding. The bull pens went from bad to worse when 20-30 people wasn't dense enough more walls were knocked down to accommodate up to 80. Even directors lost their offices. This indicates the value Expedia places on employees.

Advice to Management

Look at your turnover rates. Try to retain talent by treating people like people not commodities. Enable transparency at all levels. Eliminate back door politics and stop rewarding nay-sayers.