Expedia Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 128 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company, Sometimes Questionable Middle Management

Former Employee - Training Manager
    Former Employee - Training Manager

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fantastic perks (discounts on hotels, airfare, attractions, etc)

Cons

Hire people who fit in the "Expedia" culture.

I worked for the company for years and seen my fair share of people come in and go out. Please hire people who are a good fit for the company culture. My last boss was a robot who lacked any sort of emotional intelligence. The organization thrives based upon a its passionate, engaged workforce. I believe "chemistry" has a lot to do with why Expedia is successful. Why hire individuals who are not team oriented, look for new and creative ways to avoid co-workers, and would be absolutely fine with having "no" human interaction? In the end attitude matters, if you plan on hiring a department head they better know a thing or two about motivating and empowering a team.

Its a job!

Current Employee - Tier III Escalations in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Tier III Escalations in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

5 days a week 8 hr. Health care, Expedia Extras, basically to off set the low hourly. Gym reimbursement, silly celebrations of calendar days, like national hot dog day. The cruise department get perks from the industry , not air team. Looking to just get back on your feet for 6 months or a year this is the place. Paid training. The company makes so much money, you'll always have a job if you can survive unraveling destroyed travel itineraries using GDS. Sups are helpful and fair.

Cons

Prepare yourself for training class. 6 weeks paid, thank goodness. 15 programs to learn. Training class spends more time on non-sense about customer service (which many hired already have years of experience) rather than the actual difficulty of the Sabre and Amadeus complex PNR issues and how to fix it. I left an airline and air GDS can take years to master. No call center experience.... tough it out bro. Expectations change each week, it'll make your head spin and slow you down. After a year or more you'll be good. Take advice only from the leads. They are good but overwhelmed. Above all....It's a job, people! Its a call center with air conditioning, you aint digging ditches.

Starting pay should be higher. Tell the marketing managers to answer their emails!

It's ok...

I worked at Expedia as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Talented people, group support, and motivation.

Cons

Projects being pushed through with too much oversight. Our particular project ended up scrapped after 3 months into it. Waste of time, resources, and patience.

Too many barriers for groups to efficiently work together.

it ssucked

Former Employee - Cruise Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Cruise Travel Agent in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

no pros everybody just whines about calls

Cons

management micro managin
    no room to advance

dont micro manage

Great company for starters

Former Employee - Lodging Operations Agent in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Lodging Operations Agent in Dallas, TX

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company have one of the best benefits, pretty good training systems and great working environment.

Cons

One of the big challenges working at Expedia is that the employees rotation specially at the call Center area are huge. Leadership in that department are very week and low desire for support new hires. Compensation is one of lower considering the size of the company and personal growth incentive in the company are none. You have to manipulate people inside to get moved to better position even if you have a pretty good experience in any department inside over there you still have to manipulate people inside to get promoted.

As I said this company is a very good company for people that desire to start in travel business and do not have experience at all. Start at the Call Center area, get advantage of the school incentives that they provide. Finish school and try to move for better position inside over there, if that doesn't work get your experience later and find a better company to your career that you have chose.

No room for being unhappy.

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

After working for two fortune 500 companies this is easily the best company that I have worked for. Benefits are amazing and huge work life balance. Average starting for an hourly person is between 14-16 an hour. Most of the people in management has started on the bottom and moved up quickly after some development and coaching. More tools in your tool box then you will ever need. Plenty of chances to travel and take ownership of your work. I started in management and love every bit of what I am doing. I control my own hours and I come to work in jeans, T-shirt, vibram five fingers and gauged ears. Love it

Cons

Needs more cooperation between departments. Some departments are lazy while most pick up their slack. Also a lot of complaints about having to actually do work.

Let become a top ten place to work by staying ahead of the curve on tech,processes and perks.

Fun but lacking in direction

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Expedia is a nice, stable place to work for the most part. The people are great and the environment is fun and rewarding.

Cons

Lack of technology direction and the size of the company causes some poor decisions. What you are working on today may change completely overnight and you are left directionless. They drive to do more with less causes most groups to be severely short-handed and the current technology direction is alienating most of their prior staff causing massive turn-over.

Go back to what you were doing better a few years ago. Focus more on your current employees and give them more aid in what they need now.

Fun company culture. Mantra: Work smarter, not harder

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with smart people and acquire new skills
    Fun events and happy hours
    Casual environment
    Dynamic and fast moving (with some exceptions to old tools and processes)

Cons

Always expected to do more with less. This means less staff, need to learn multiple skills above and beyond job description and you often don't get paid for it. If you come into the company at too low a level, it's very hard to negotiate a competitive salary once you decide to move up (like most large companies I imagine). Senior level leadership have their own agenda and politics, to the detriment of getting work done - delays projects and frustrates lower level functional workers.

Schedule regular 1 on 1s with your staff/ICs. Know that the climate is on the floor. Promote from within, develop your people for future growth opportunities. There's a lot of good internal talent.

nICE

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

+ Work Life Balance
    + Good Salary

Cons

- Inability to transfer to different location

Go Anywhere...Be Anything

Current Employee - Business Development
    Current Employee - Business Development

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At Expedia, you have the ability to become nearly anything. You have the opportunity to go anywhere. Your goals are only limited by your own imagination. Expedia is an excellent company to work for and have benefits that will make you ask..."and you're still going to pay me!?"

Cons

In such a large company, it is hard to get recognized for outstanding achievement.

Keep a closer look at mid level management and be sure they are promoting growth and not afraid of it.