Expedia

3.9
1,073 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fabulous work culture, great benefits, amazing people!

Cons

have not seen any cons as of yet.

New employee to a new team and loving every minute

Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One thing that's standing out is the incredible positivity with everyone I've worked with. Our team has our fair share of technical issues/tool gripes and alignment woes across different teams and geographies, but it's good attitudes all around. I haven't seen egos take over conversations; everyone seems to be genuinely optimistic that we can solve problems together, and we're making progress! Work/Life balance is also much more achievable than I've seen at other companies. I don't work through every weekend anymore, and I feel happy to jump in when needed as a result.

Cons

Things move fast, and a lot of decisions happen off the record. It takes a bit of finesse to get up to speed and stay there, but folks seem really open to sharing info--you just need to know when to ask.

Look into a better system for tracking ideas/process improvement projects that don't need immediate attention.

Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - User Experience
    Current Employee - User Experience

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Generous vacation policy. The longer you stay, the more time you get.
    - Leisure travel and fitness program reimbursement
    - Opportunity to work with and learn from smart, engaged people from all over the world
    - Due to technology advancements, changing environment of the travel industry and adapting to user needs, the site is always evolving so boredom is not an issue.
    - Flexibility to work from home
    - When faced with problems, this is a figure-it-out culture as opposed to a finger pointing one.
    - As long as you get your work done well and on time, there is flexibility in what time you start/end your day. (How much flexibility varies by team/function, of course)

Cons

- It's a large company, so new ideas/processes take time to filter through.

Month 1 Employee

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great on-boarding process that provides foundational knowledge, laying the groundwork to succeed. Dedicated, motivated employees that are willing to help answer questions and jump in to assist when needed. Great vacation time benefits.

Cons

Kitchens need ice machines. :-)

To get the full company morale and corporate direction, looking forward to the next All-Hands.

Expedia is a fantastic place to work

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work with motivated, smart people. The work-life balance is balanced (for as much as it can be when working with a global org) and I am able to have a flexible schedule. We are rewarded fairly and there is a huge focus at the moment in increasing the # of women in leadership roles.

Cons

Pay seems to be on par with many other companies in the area but not necessarily in the tech world. No huge signing bonuses, no stock options upon joining, no all you can eat cafeterias, no personal shuttles to work.

Exciting, fun, and innovative place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexibility, work-life balance, room for expansion

Cons

Compensation not competitive with surrounding tech companies in the area

Great collaboration & tools - emphasis on impact on team/org vs. individual effort

Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It has been a great experience joining Expedia - everyone that I have worked with is very focused on scaling the company and thinking ahead about the capabilities we need in the future as well as improving what we have now. The focus on overall impact instead of rewarding individual heroics leads to very strong collaboration and interpersonal relationships.

Cons

Expedia is quite a complex company that has been formed out of many acquisitions over the last 10 years, and there are still a lot of seams and inconsistencies that are not obvious when first joining. However, this also makes it feel much more of a large start-up experience, with a focus on making quick progress with limited resources, as opposed to every project having to be approved by multiple levels and being 100% perfect on launch.

It is great to have the Big Hairy Audacious Goals set 5 years ahead of time and I even think more communication around them and what different parts of the organization can do to support them would be good, as well as measuring progress and leading indicators of success on a frequent basis.

Great company with awesome culture and people

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. People are smart and fun to work with
    2. Senior management is approachable and they communicate the company goals clearly
    3. Great work life balance

Cons

Compensation & benefits might not be as attractive as other tech/internet companies

Software Engineer In Test

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Good work family balance
    Very friendly people
    Good benefits(travel, family leave,,,etc)

Cons

Relatively less salary compared to companies of same size

They know what they are doing here!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Absolutely the most team-oriented company I have ever worked for. Collaboration is key to do well with Expedia. A welcome change to the stepping on peoples backs to climb the corporate ladder. Positive attitudes all around and you get the feeling everyone genuinely happy to show up for work every day. Work/Life balance parallel to none.

Cons

Compensation, while improving, can't keep up with the deep pockets of an Amazon or Microsoft for example. Should offer RSU's for all new employees.

Promoting internally should be a focus to retain top talent