Expedia Reviews

Updated March 28, 2015
1123 reviews filtered by

Most amazing company to work for!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

2. Expedia is the best!

Current Employee - Project Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

#1 the people here are AMAZING, everyone is unique, smart, driven, fun, friendly and it is obvious that we all have the same goal of doing and giving our best to Expedia
    Other notable points:
    Networking opportunities
    Encourage growth
    Amazing benefits, PTO, insurance and other perks
    Competitive pay
    Networking opportunities
    Fun company events, photo opportunities etc
    I've never been more excited and passionate about working for a company.

Cons

I don't have much to contribute here, we're growing and expanding so quickly here in Bellevue headquarters so we're quickly running out of real estate space so we've been condensing and consolidating; not a bad problem to have considering other companies are experiencing constant layoffs.

Keep doing what you're doing!

3. Enjoyable time working with a balanced company

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with a leader in travel, a huge industry, it's enjoyable to see your work change the travel space, and the impact quickly.
    The compensation is good (salary+benefits) and for the US, you start with more vacation than most companies and go up from there (15+ days)
    There is also a healthy work-life balance. Most days you can leave work at the door, and the door has sunlight still on it.

Cons

Expedia is not a small company and sometimes you can feel it. There is also an existing product, so it's hard to do something really different, but if you are creative you can make it work. Expedia is evolving, but I'm sure someone from a startup would find it naturally slow.

5. Great place to work!

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

HIgh energy place - lots of fun people to work with - many are very passionate about collaborating together. Great leadership (CEO/CFO) that do a great job of communicating vision, etc. through town halls, etc. Expedia also puts together fun events for employees. In order to be successful here, you need to be able to thrive with constant change.
    Great travel & vacation benefits.

Cons

It was difficult to move ahead within my org - but that is not truly representative of the company as a whole.

6. Software Developer

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle Heights, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle Heights, WA

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Good, smart coworkers.
    Friendly work environment

Cons

Not really a lot of cons

7. Be careful whom you trust

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many smart people who will step out of their way to help you achieve a goal or objective.

Cons

High school politics & clique mentality run rampant in many parts of the organization. People are expendable, and turnover is VERY high. Some departments see >80% turnover per year due to poor VP/Directors who are moved around instead of being cut loose, all at the expense of high performing teams.

Plan around long-term vision, execute on strategy, and stop focusing on the competition. "Beat Booking" is not a valid strategy, but should come organically via innovation and execution.

Expedia Response

Feb 25, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for your feedback on your experience. This input helps us recognize ways to improve as a company. We are sharing this review with leadership.

8. Associate Market Manager

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great work culture starting from leadership. Really great onboarding for market management employees that allows to grow network. Always changing to stay ahead of competitors. Very innovative company. Perks for travel is great.

Cons

Some may find the change to be difficult to adapt to however they do make changes for the better or it's a work in progress. Travel perks for family and friends could be better. Work life balance could be better as managers are away from home quite often.

9. Market Associate

Current Employee - Market Associate
    Current Employee - Market Associate

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expedia is a great company to work for! The company is always expanding and changing, so the work isn't dull or repetitive; there's always something new to learn. The culture is very team-oriented and supportive, and my office has a very positive and encouraging feel to it. Expedia recently expanded and hired a lot of new people, so as a "newbie," I felt very welcomed into the organization and am excited to see what the next big announcement will be! There are awesome benefits and travel perks that put the icing on top of the cake.

Cons

At first, there was some disorganization but now things have settled and everything is in order.

Vegas 2015!

10. New employee to a new team and loving every minute

Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Content in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One thing that's standing out is the incredible positivity with everyone I've worked with. Our team has our fair share of technical issues/tool gripes and alignment woes across different teams and geographies, but it's good attitudes all around. I haven't seen egos take over conversations; everyone seems to be genuinely optimistic that we can solve problems together, and we're making progress! Work/Life balance is also much more achievable than I've seen at other companies. I don't work through every weekend anymore, and I feel happy to jump in when needed as a result.

Cons

Things move fast, and a lot of decisions happen off the record. It takes a bit of finesse to get up to speed and stay there, but folks seem really open to sharing info--you just need to know when to ask.

Look into a better system for tracking ideas/process improvement projects that don't need immediate attention.

11. Challenging and rewarding

Current Employee - User Experience
    Current Employee - User Experience

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Generous vacation policy. The longer you stay, the more time you get.
    - Leisure travel and fitness program reimbursement
    - Opportunity to work with and learn from smart, engaged people from all over the world
    - Due to technology advancements, changing environment of the travel industry and adapting to user needs, the site is always evolving so boredom is not an issue.
    - Flexibility to work from home
    - When faced with problems, this is a figure-it-out culture as opposed to a finger pointing one.
    - As long as you get your work done well and on time, there is flexibility in what time you start/end your day. (How much flexibility varies by team/function, of course)

Cons

- It's a large company, so new ideas/processes take time to filter through.