Expedia Reviews

Updated October 24, 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 128 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

SDE

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

Good vacation and travel benefits

Cons

1. Brand Expedia engineering management is incompetent, but still seems to be super powerful
    2. Thick middle layer which again is incompetent
    3. Promotions are given to 'yes men'
    4. Filled with dirty politics

1. Get rid of some of the engineering management people, they are hurting your engineering talent
    2. Kill the layers to make the company way more agile and reduce politics

Fun place to work, good benefits, not a lot of upward movement

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the people, supportive environment, good perks and time-off is descent. You can ask for help and people actually respond and help you. Excellent diversity programs. They create a good personal community path as well as a work community environment. Cool wellness benefits.

Cons

Once you reach a certain level, there is not a ton of room for advancement. I've also had difficulty in promoting those on my team and can't seem to sort out why. I believe HR has a huge issue here. Also, our recruiting team needs a lot of work - so if you are applying...be patient - it's worth it to get to the other side but I don't think they leave a great impression (external AND internal). Comp is market average but some cool travel and wellness perks.

Really awesome, but it was a start up back then.

Former Employee - Market Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Market Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Autonomy, flexibility, negotiation, stock options, relationships, great CEO, generous time off policy, great health benefits,

Cons

lack of leadership, bad management.

Excellent culture and benefits

Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company is the right size for internal growth without getting lost in a mega-corporation. Lots of great collaborative tools in use. Open floor plan. Excellent benefits.

Cons

Very large product. Moving faster than ever, but sometimes seems frustratingly slow. Many teams don't support working from home on a regular basis.

Provide better salary adjustment over time/promotions to people who have long tenure in company in order to retain experienced employees.

Test Manager

Former Employee - Test Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Test Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment. Both teams and individual contributors are encouraged to cooperate. The travel benefits are nice. Group events budget was decent. Lots of dedicated people work there.

Cons

Management can't decide if it is a travel company with a technology focus, or a technology company with a travel focus. Thus a multitude of things are either not well thought thru, flip-flop often, or have the wrong priorities. Office space is at a premium, work space is tight, cramped and noisy.

Awesome Company to work for.....

Former Employee - Concierge in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Concierge in San Diego, CA

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They think of employee needs...

Cons

They are limited as for the cities you can work for them...

Come back to the California Market

Old school Microsoft style company.

I have been working at Expedia as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I really liked some of the teams the people they hire all seem to be really nice. Everyone's personality is similar very casual and easy going.

Cons

The work life balance is normal for a corporate environment M - F hours vary by department in mine chose to work from 6:30- 3 with a 1/2 hour for lunch. I was an intern for 6 months and observed so many people who were high stress and high work volume . Some handled it better than other I have seen many tears of overwhelm and stress. They don't seem to enjoy change too much.

I think that managers need to have a better grasp on what is expected from each role . I think that there needs to be a better assessment of the teams skills.

Poor call center management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provided adequate training support for new hire employees and training for existing employees after significant changes.
    Good benefits (insurance, travel discounts, vacation time)

Cons

Management and Human Resources were ignorant of (or simply defied) employment law. Discrimination against protected classes was encouraged and sexual harassment was common. Whistleblowers received no protection and were punished for standing up to the illegal/inappropriate "status quo."

Management and Human Resources personnel need additional training in employment law compliance.

Expedia Response

Jul 22, 2014HR

As a company, we take all feedback seriously - especially claims of harassment in any form. We have a dedicated, third-party hotline and Website that is equipped to take any information ... More

Excellent work environment and opportunity for GLOBAL advancement!

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Training was comprehensive; excellent pay and benefits; many different opportunity areas for advancement. If you are interested, there are several paths for advancement to GLOBAL positions.

Cons

Not very forgiving if you have speed bumps crop up in your life. If you aren't able to be there when scheduled, you will be written up. Though it didn't happen to me, some of my co-workers were let go due to family emergencies that caused them to not be able to work their assigned shifts. If you are hired, be sure you can work without interruptions.

I would encourage upper management to audit their recruiters to be sure the recruiters are contacting the qualified applicants. I know some people who have applied but never received feedback advising them if they were considered or not.

Working for the World's largest OTA has it's benefits

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexibility, and good people to work with. Plenty of opportunity to create and take on projects that you are passionate about. Expedia's wide reach helps to build a worldwide network of valuable relationships.

Cons

For being a travel company the yearly travel benefit is negligible. Just like with any large corporation it's not always just about the results. You've got to put in the extra social time to really make a strong impression.

Invest. Sometimes you have to pay good money for technology that other smaller companies have and we need.