Expedia

3.9
1,067 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun Company

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Fun and relaxing company - we sure know how to party!
    - Work place environment really depends on leadership, if your manager is cool, then your life at the company is wonderful. If your manager micromanages, well, good luck.
    - 9-5 schedule, generally speaking. Again this depends on management.
    - Compensation is on par with market value, great benefits and lots of perks.
    - They invest greatly in training.
    - Very tech savvy company
    - Casual work environment - jeans are okay!
    - Lots of learning to keep you challenged.
    - Office building is in a prime location downtown.

Cons

- Constant change, which could either be good or bad depending on what kind of workers you are. There seem to be lack of communication between departments when it comes to changes, leading to push backs and lengthy onboarding process.
    - How we are graded for our work is very vague.
    - Need close relationship with senior management in order to move up - a bit political
    - Some works are unnecessarily repetitive.

Great Company to work for, but could use a bit more umph!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Management is flexible with Work/Life balance.
    WFH days are an option.
    Great benefits including travel, transit, matching 401k, and low co-pay for insurance.
    Management trusts their teams, allowing for freedom of your way to work.

Cons

It is hard to move up sometimes, and the pay increase is not that great.
    Bellevue office is the least innovative office compared to all other locations, which is upsetting, since it is our HQ.
    Slowly moving away from cubicles to bench seating, which makes the Bellevue location even more cramped.
    The culture reminds me of a corporate environment trying to be a dot com. We are a .Com, let's let our hair down a bit!

Work together with other teams.

Do not try to be some other company (Facebook, Google, Twitter, etc). Find out what Expedia wants to be, and work with that to make it a better culture for your employees.

Overall, Expedia is a great company to work for - Innovative, fun, and treats their employees well.

Current Employee - SEM
    Current Employee - SEM

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

-Challenging
    -Collaborative team and smart people
    -Great work/life balance
    -Good benefits
    -Generous vacation

Cons

-Politics can get tricky
    -Work hours - There are times when work is a bit crazy and you find yourself working a lot of hours

-Improve on career training - come up with specific plans for employees to work toward leadership/management roles

Breath of Fresh Air!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Starbucks Corporate, Perkins Coie, and a few International companies. Expedia is by FAR the very best. There is a great vibe of camaraderie. We have kegs on every floor and frequent happy hours. Work like balance is unprecedented. I am able to work from home as needed and my start time is flexible from 7 to 10am. The CEO is easily accessible and the after hour events here are ridiculously a blast. Communication is wide open so there is nothing surprising in reviews. Once a year bonus is AWESOME. And the travel and workout bonus is super helpful.

Cons

Hmm.... Free beer, Happy employees, Fun events, Transparent Leadership, Stable and growing company.... NO CONS!!

This is a company that cares about their employees--and shows it.

Current Employee - Pact in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Pact in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, they plan fun activities that break up the monotony, family oriented

Cons

Hours are not always mainstream, can be repetitive, must relearn processes frequently

Continue to show employees you appreciate them.

Outstanding opportunities where you are treated like an adult and work in a welcoming, encouraging environment.

Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Market Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The way the company treats you they trust you and yet are able to be there to support anything you do.

Cons

Just wish the Boston office was outside of the city it's a hassle to go there but at least I don't have to go in everyday

Keep being supportive, encouraging, and available. You make us feel good about our work and you foster an amazing work environment

Working at a large company for the first time

Current Employee - Market Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Market Associate in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

People care about your work (and not what you are wearing), you will be surrounded by very smart people, you will be challenged (but still have work-life balance)

Cons

Not that many women in higher leadership

Lucky to be part of the team!!!!

Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Kailua Kona, HI
    Current Employee - Expedia Local Expert in Kailua Kona, HI

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I can say this is one of the best employers to work for. I was hired, and 2 years later moved out of the area for a relationship, but when it didn't work out I was able to get my dream job back. Expedia has been one of the factors that contributes to my quality of life everyday. I would recommend it to anybody....actually I do. I am very lucky to work for this company.

Cons

There are no cons that I can speak of. I would fire their benefits management company Aon Hewitt for good. Expedia deserves to be partnered with a more intelligent company who manages benefits than the one they have working for them.

This was one of the worst on-boarding experiences of my life. It was mis-handled in a variety of ways, and still is being mis-handled. After 3 months I am still dealing with the horrible company Aon Hewitt who cannot communicate to Fidelity my correct address. Enrolling in my benefits was a terrible experience and involved every level of Expedia HR who still could not figure it out why my information was being handled improperly. I don't trust Aon Hewitt's IT protocol. I worry for my information because I do not think they have their security in place. They are a horrible firm.

It has been an amazing journey

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the challenge and the culture that the company brings. It has definitely been rewarding so far

Cons

Competitors do make things a bit harder; however, overcoming those challenges makes it all worth it

Continue to share your vision so we can help you get there

It has been an Awesome experience thus far~

Current Employee - International Rate Specialist in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - International Rate Specialist in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Currently working from home! Excellent benefit package includes medical, dental, travel/wellness/tuition reimbursement, matching 401K, employee stock options, employee discounts and best of all- New parents program!

Cons

Lack of personal growth because of working from home...

Please offer more training classes of ALL kind.