Expedia Reviews

Reset

1,217 Employee Reviews

Good

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Excellent benefits, work life balance, and vacation.

Cons

A lot of drama from people who need to be fired.

Politicing is painful and makes life hard

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It can be easy to thrive there if you have a skill that is dependended on by many. The benefits and the pay tend to be very comparable.

Cons

In my experience, the team leaders in the middle management tier were at best insecure in their positional authority, at worst, playing politics to get their agenda's pushed. I was hyped as an expert and thrust into a position that was not really understood to my leadership. Then, after a nice bonus and a raise, let go 4 days shy of my 6 month probationary period. My leader barely lead, he didn't grow my experience, he left me to my own education and learning and the other teams that I tried reaching out to didn't have time or want to make it for me. While they seemed to not be doing anything at all, I was thrust into a position of negativity and doubt. After some mistakes, on my part, and some lack of communication on theirs, they reacted aggressively over non-issues.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to who you are allowing to hire and lead. Pay attention to what they do to their one downs. Also, don't be so quick to let people go when you haven't clearly made the case for the position in the first place.

3. Great company , great pay

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great work ethic, great environment, loved it

Cons

Too muchturnover with some of the different departments

Ok working environment

I worked at Expedia

Pros

Good working hours. Less stress envirinment. Friendly staffs

Cons

Pay cheaper than other big companies

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are very good. Growing business in a huge industry with interesting work. Talented quality coworkers pleasant to work with.

Cons

Growing pains with lots of changes. Loosing open door policy and communication in some groups, politics increasing to the point of harmful to productivity and morale. Large office relocation is looming on the horizon with both pros and cons but distracting. Offices are overcrowded until move.

Advice to Management

Return to open door policies and not lip service without action. Political maneuvering of mid-to senior management is reducing efficiency and exhausting for employees.

7. Great work environment

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

At Expedia you have the opportunity to work with amazing people, have great benefits, supportive leadership and opportunity to work just about anywhere in the world if you wanted.

Cons

It is a large company so you can lose the change to easily have access to upper level executives.

May 22, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thanks for your review, we're glad to hear that you are enjoying your journey with Expedia! We also enjoy working for a company that has a global footprint, and recent acquisitions have made that ... More

Great work life balance, fantastic CEO

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

Family-oriented, with lots of company sponsored events for families. Exciting growth as a leader in online travel Free healthcare at an onsite clinic!

Cons

It can take a very long time to ship anything, there are lots of chefs in this kitchen. Overly political at times, with mixed messages from senior leadership Below average pay

9. Very good compnany I would reccomend to anyone for travel.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia (More than a year)

Pros

You get great knowledge of geography, benefits , and a great company to work for.

Cons

I was disappointed in the way of not being able to tell the people what area they were going to be in if they didn't need to be there,

Advice to Management

Needs to acquire better hotels in better locations around the world.

Good Benefits, positive growth

Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Software Design Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Excellent use of technology in every team, they use/evaluate almost all current technology trends, including C# .Net to open source micro-services. With incentives for training, one can get a significant growth in different spaces within short time - Company values prototyping/poc work, - Good growth but not at the cost of 16 hours a day work - Benefits, especially the travel benefits are really good.

Cons

- Not so easy to change groups, different groups act independently. - Re-orgs/Manager changes.

Advice to Management

Reduce or limit re-orgs and try not to affect technology focussed developers with repeated management changes. Switching managers is not taken positively among developers as they have to build relationships with new management again and again. Please, try to change once and stick to it for longer duration.

Apr 30, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thanks for your thoughtful feedback and advice. We place a strong emphasis on building strong teams and relationships within the company, and while we try to 'test and learn', we understand that ... More

Sr Software Dev Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bellevue location for east siders with good schools travel benefits Great work life balance Too much fuss over diversity and too many women in management.

Cons

Non technical management, non transparent promotions New engineering model, is forced on all, mainly on developers, making some testers having promoted to dev management via reorgs. Nothing is more insulting than, having slogged in computer science and pass difficult interview to get to dev side, to be lost out to tester in promotion. Top Management gives lip service for growth of individual contributors, but in reality, power is concentrated in Middle management, PMs and other business types.So needless to say, developers are usually ignored. As a old school corporation, its apparent after some years, that personal relationships and showman ships are preferred, for promotions. Some developer talent is good, but they can be counted on fingers. Most of them simply putup for lack of options on the east side. ( if they dont want to join MSFT ). There is some sense of reverse feminism going on in those non-transparent reorgs. Not sure if this is what everyone wants. Salary is also not at par with competition

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at your talent and promote wisely. Some are doled out unwarranted promotions and some are overlooked. Follow what you preach in leadership. Hire and retain great talent, not some +1ers.

May 11, 2015 – Team Expedia

Thank you for your feedback. Expedia places a strong emphasis on inclusion and diversity and we are committed to having a diverse workforce across all levels of our organization, as well as ... More

Showing 1,217 of 1,264 reviews