Expedia

3.9
1,073 Reviews

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

518 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Most amazing company to work for!

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work/life balance. I have never worked for a company that has such an amazing work/life balance. Also, the people here are so amazing. Work is fun every. single. day.

Cons

I wish I would've started working here sooner, to work my way up faster.

Keep up the good work and treating your employees like such a big part of the company.

Expedia Response

Jan 16, 2015Team Expedia

Thanks for support, advocacy and enthusiasm! Can we clone you?

Be a Rockstar

Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. If you're an A player, you will move to the top. This may mean sacrificing some of that work-life balance. To some, that may mean working an 8 hour day rather than a 5.

Cons

Expedia has a full spectrum of talent. There are a lot of people who coast, or call a 5 hour work day "work-life balance".

When it comes to hiring, it is better to get a false negative than a false positive

Love working for Expedia!

Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Technical Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Very healthy work-life balance - they encourage it
    * Lots of opportunity for social interactions, gatherings, celebrating occasions and holidays
    * Great culture of giving back to society.
    * Not very high stress levels
    * Great benefits - travel benefits, wellness benefits, employee assistance, medical second opinion programs, generous sick time, good vacation policy

Cons

* Promotions are hard to come by when you are an individual contributors and in lower level positions (i.e. Lower than director) At Director level positions or higher, it feels like promotions are easier to come by - can be a little discouraging to individual contributors
    * Can do a better job at recognizing and growing talent, and providing challenging opportunities to keep people engaged and excited

Love the company, its culture and its growth

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

i'm very happy to be with Expedia. The role and responsibilities I take on every day is very challenging and very rewarding. It's my choice where I want to go in the company. Lots of opportunities as there's many Expedia brands to choose from: Hotwire, Car rentals.com and more

Cons

Not sure if this is a con but to succeed in this company and likely others you must be able to get along with your peers, have great communication skills, and be able to multitask.

Enjoyable time working with a balanced company

Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer In Test - II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Working with a leader in travel, a huge industry, it's enjoyable to see your work change the travel space, and the impact quickly.
    The compensation is good (salary+benefits) and for the US, you start with more vacation than most companies and go up from there (15+ days)
    There is also a healthy work-life balance. Most days you can leave work at the door, and the door has sunlight still on it.

Cons

Expedia is not a small company and sometimes you can feel it. There is also an existing product, so it's hard to do something really different, but if you are creative you can make it work. Expedia is evolving, but I'm sure someone from a startup would find it naturally slow.

Expedia is the best!

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

#1 the people here are AMAZING, everyone is unique, smart, driven, fun, friendly and it is obvious that we all have the same goal of doing and giving our best to Expedia
    Other notable points:
    Networking opportunities
    Encourage growth
    Amazing benefits, PTO, insurance and other perks
    Competitive pay
    Networking opportunities
    Fun company events, photo opportunities etc
    I've never been more excited and passionate about working for a company.

Cons

I don't have much to contribute here, we're growing and expanding so quickly here in Bellevue headquarters so we're quickly running out of real estate space so we've been condensing and consolidating; not a bad problem to have considering other companies are experiencing constant layoffs.

Keep doing what you're doing!

Great company to work for, good culture, friendly and we're a big happy travel family.

Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Travel deals, employee share of voice, friendly environment, Great benefits & much more to add on in addition to decent compensation.

Cons

Moving up b/n teams has some limitation. Though each team/dept. encourages to move up in career ladder, the tricky system does not allow to be equally compensated. I mean to say that if they hire a external candidate the compensation is much better than moving within the system. HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up.

Same as Above (HR & compensation policy must be reviewed to help employee move up). Other than this, this company is a cool place to work, lots of learning, investment in technology keeps you challenged and learn more. Great working here.

Great work environment for self-motivated engineers

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer II in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great balance of start-up culture with enterprise technology and support!

You never see anyone in a suit, there are free snacks / refreshments, great work life balance, awesome after-hours events.

Specifically for Engineers: rather than mandating the use of existing technology and processes, teams are instead encouraged to experiment with the new, assimilate what is found to work well, and share their newfound knowledge with others.

Also, I've been glad to find more gender-diverse engineering teams than I've seen at other companies.

Cons

If you're looking for your manager to tell you what to do every day and give you a big raise for doing only that, then this probably isn't the place for you.

As with any office, there are examples of political decision-making, etc. but I've found these to be the exception rather than the norm.

Keep the culture!

Love working at this fast-paced, upbeat, fun company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The biggest pro for me is that employees are trusted for what they do. In circumstance after circumstance, I find that I am respected for my role because I was hired and have the job that I have. I appreciate the 5 year goals that the company is managed to at every level.

Cons

Fast-paced can be a double edged sword creating situations where you really can't get it all done.

Read your email -- all of it. Sometimes there is just so many meetings and so much email that requests are missed.

Pretty good, but not that exciting

Current Employee - SDE1 in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - SDE1 in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Not much office politics or backstabbing. Solid benefits. Nice buildings (in Bellevue HQ at least).

Cons

Very small year to year raises. The product is not terribly exciting.