Expedia Reviews

Dara Khosrowshahi

Great attitudes and Environment

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Expedia focuses the majority of their energy on fostering a positive work environment. They know they are a call center and that call centers can get very boring and repetitive, so they work hard at keeping everyone in good spirits and they try their best to make it a fun work day. The supervisors are the true Rock Stars. Expedia brings in vendors from all across North America (Primarily Mexico and Orlando) to teach the employees about their specific resorts and these vendors will typically give away free trips, which is nice. They treat their entry level employees with respect and they understand that without the soldiers on the phones the company wouldn't be able to operate. They do offer the best benefit package than I have seen anywhere else. Very affordable health insurance across the board as well as things like fitness reimbursement, travel reimbursement, discounts at local and national businesses, and others. The fringe benefits of working in the travel industry are second to none. Discounted hotel rates for family and friends, and great discounts for yourself.

Cons

Communication channels from upper management to middle management and then middle to the employees is essentially non existent. While I was working there they underwent massive changes in their pay structure (making it harder to hit commission and then getting paid less when you do hit) and to their call process. These are massive changes and completely changes the atmosphere of the work place. The floor didn't receive these changes very well because they after a 3-4 week training on the old process, they tried to run you through a 4-5 hour crash course on the new process and expected you to completely change the way you talk to the customers. Due to these changes many of their top performing tenured agents left for other jobs. They do say they only promote within which might be true at other locations, but it was not evident at the Springfield location.

Actually promote from within

They NEED to communicate better, especially to the employees on the phones. Many huge changes were made and they would literally say "This is what my boss told me and it is all I know. So we have to do our best to work through it."

They are a $55 Billion company... They can afford to pay their sales reps more. While the majority of their revenue comes from their website, the employees on the phone are a very important role for the company. They are getting paid less than Verizon, AT&T, and Chase Bank, all of which also have call centers in the Springfield area.

2. Awesome Place to Work

Current Employee - Partner Assistance Team in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Partner Assistance Team in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia

Pros

Great Benefits, Positive Attitudes, Great Community Involvement, Awesome Support (They don't leave you to figure it out on your own.)

Cons

None that I know of at this time

Keep up the great work.

3. Great atmosphere and challenging work.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working here is great. The work is challenging, but people are very helpful when you need it. There is also a lot of freedom in dress code and having fun at work.

Cons

I haven't really encountered any cons working here so far. All of my experiences have been good.

Keep up the good work, maybe add some more company outings.

5. Love my job!

Current Employee - Credit Card Reconciliation Specialist in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Credit Card Reconciliation Specialist in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time

Pros

I love my job and the company treats their employees so well. There are fantastic benefits, the pay is wonderful, the supervisors and upper management really care about what the employees have to say about their work and ways to improve processes, the leadership really cares about their employees and takes the time to make sure that everyone has the tools they need to succeed and excel.

Cons

I actually have a very hard time finding things that are negative to say about Expedia because this is literally the best place I've ever worked.

6. You're making the right choice if you are looking to work for Expedia

Current Employee - Financial Operations in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Financial Operations in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I know the environment between departments is different, so I'm speaking from a Financial Operations viewpoint. The atmosphere is positive and even fun. Our leadership really believes in employee morale and makes efforts to keep us all engaged and happy. The Sr. Director bought everyone nerf guns for goodness sake. We go bowling as a department, have ice cream socials, and are encouraged to have fun while working. The benefits are pretty awesome and I feel like I'm valued as an employee. There are always new career opportunities and you are encouraged to sit with other teams to learn their processes. I've never worked for a place where you openly talk about applying for a different position with your team and management. Everyone supports growth and supports each other in their career advancements.

Cons

It's a global company with offices all over the world, so communication is definitely lacking. The three distinct operations departments (financial, supplier, and customer) all have completely different leadership and do not communicate efficiently, yet they all effect each other in big ways. The technology we use is definitely lacking. The systems we use were not built for the travel industry, and we keep patching them to make them work. I keep hearing about big company growth but the emphasis on not increasing head count, but there is no way our current systems will support that effort. They (the CEO, CFO, etc) seem to be listening to these complaints and have begun to take steps to improve our technology, so we'll see what happens in the upcoming years.

Make communication a priority. The Directors and Managers may be informed, but the rest of us would like that information passed down. For instance, they asked if I knew what GPP's 2015 strategy was. My reaction was: Firstly, what is GPP? Secondly, no, I don't know what the strategy is.

7. This is a company that cares about their employees--and shows it.

Current Employee - Pact in Springfield, MO
    Current Employee - Pact in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, amazing benefits, they plan fun activities that break up the monotony, family oriented

Cons

Hours are not always mainstream, can be repetitive, must relearn processes frequently

Continue to show employees you appreciate them.

8. Revolving Door

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay when its not manipulated and benefits

Cons

Pay is based off of metrics that are in essence uncontrollable. You can out perform in every metric you can control and still make less than other worker performing at a lower level and earn a worse shift than others doing less.

Seniority means nothing within the company at any point making it hard to maintain long term employees

Shifts are few and far between with very little opportunity to change to better one after long terms of service.

They manipulate numbers to avoid paying rightfully earned commissions

Management only acknowledges basic math when it supports a point they try to convey.

See Cons

Great company, but in need of major over haul in mid level management.

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent base pay with the opportunity to make a generous amount of commission when in tuned with the companies "process". Excellent benefits and perks come with this travel company. If you have a decent relationship with the management, your able to move into other departments in the company. Great company that people should want to be apart of, but leadership is in need of refocusing their purpose in the company.

Cons

Mid level management. Some supervisors not being technically proficient in all facets of what their position requires. Some supervisors excellent at coordinating games and taking longer lunch breaks because their entitled to while the work horse supervisors go the extra mile carrying the load of others. Directives are passed mainly through email along with minimal training or meetings to know the status of performance or company. Bottom line transparency is an issue.

10. Supervisor, Lodging Operations

Former Employee - Supervisor, Lodging Operations in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Supervisor, Lodging Operations in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent travel benefits. Some talented agents and management members within the organization.

Cons

Culture is not conducive to collaboration. New manager at the time took gossip for gospel which lead to toxic work relationship. Work life balance does not exist as it's a 24/7 contact center.

Cut and restart management.

11. Poor call center management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company provided adequate training support for new hire employees and training for existing employees after significant changes.
    Good benefits (insurance, travel discounts, vacation time)

Cons

Management and Human Resources were ignorant of (or simply defied) employment law. Discrimination against protected classes was encouraged and sexual harassment was common. Whistleblowers received no protection and were punished for standing up to the illegal/inappropriate "status quo."

Management and Human Resources personnel need additional training in employment law compliance.

Expedia Response

Jul 22, 2014HR

As a company, we take all feedback seriously - especially claims of harassment in any form. We have a dedicated, third-party hotline and Website that is equipped to take any information ... More