Expedia

Expedia Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi

Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance(in 117 reviews)

• Benefits include travel benefits and co-workers love to talk about travelling(in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies(in 35 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development(in 31 reviews)

60 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

never ending learning adventure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe best, most intense and interesting learning experience ever. The moment you know what you do and start wearing your hat in a cosy way, something is bound to change and kick you out of that comfort zone into new challenge. Every day I come to a different work. Challenging, rewarding, crazy fast-paced, great for learning and development if you raise your hand and and are proactive about it. No one will offer you opportunity just because you sit at your desk and look fabulous. Not even because you are fabulous at what you do. You need to keep volunteering to take the extra work and help with another project and create your own chance to learn. No classrooms needed. Just tons of proactive attitude and willingness to try new things.

ConsYou have to perform outside of the standard scope of your duties to be promoted to the level you would have operated at for while beforehand. "Prove you can do it" approach

A great learning experience

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsBright people, great offices and some exciting opportunities. Good package.

ConsVery political and too many restructuring/re-org:s which is unsettling. One day you are in the right team and then the politics change and you are suddenly in "the wrong team" and worry about being the next one be out the door in a reorg. Probably not the best place for women.

Decent place to be if you can get a full term contract.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe London office is brilliant compared to other places I've worked at; how could it not be with as many free cokes as you want and a roof terrace to look out over London with a bit of lunch? I've also found that if you really apply yourself there are opportunities to move on and up within the company - my initial contract was a third party, 6 month one and now I'm on a contract without a specified end date. I haven't come across any office bullies or anyone who's into being an spiteful/rude for the sake of it so far, which makes getting through the day fairly easy. The fact I can have my headphones in unless making phone calls helps, too.

ConsWhen you work on content it can be frustrating that the company ethos is pretty fixed on the use of technology. Try to get some variation into the work you're doing or you'll hear every tick and tock from your watch. The main problem, though, is that anyone on a normal contract has to leave for at least 6 weeks after 2 years of continuous employment with the company. I think it's some sort of workaround for them to avoid having to give people full employees' rights, but whatever the reason they've lost a lot of good people because of it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really think the 2 year contract business seriously needs to be looked into.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Localization Quality Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosvery good work/family life balance

Consleass opportunities to move up in my career

Extremely innovative and great atmosphere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsThe team atmosphere is great and everyone works together, people just help eachother out all the time. Also there are no internal hierarchies, everyone treats everyone the same way. They are really innovative and try to improve their processes ALL THE TIME. Everyone is really nice and super creative, and you get praised and compensated all the time.

ConsAs in any big company, I guess the amount of work is sometimes a little bit too much, although you always get rewarded for it one way or another.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing to suggest really, all managers I had were really nice and super flexible.

The culture here is exceptional.

Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExpedia take the time to recruit like minded professional people. That means there is a great culture when you start. There is trust that you will deliver and it's the most high performing culture I have been a part of (and I used to work for Apple!) The sentiment of "hire great people and get out of their way" is totally understood. I have freedom to deliver exceptional work here.

ConsHonestly, I have been here for nearly a year and struggle to honestly find any cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunities for leadership teams to meet and share & network (not just the women!).

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExpedia provides a great working atmosphere for most departments. Some functions face more pressure than others, depending on what's more important to the business or whats the 'flavor of the month', and also depends on your manager. Mostly, expedia colleugues are really friendly and there are many great perks as an employee. the company provides daily challenges for employees from stakeholder management, to navigating through dinosaur technology and the tasks never stop rolling in.

ConsI've been at expedia for almost 2 years, but the compensation increase given upon promotion is capped. If you come into expedia on a non-managerial role then you could be stuck on low salary increases, or could be forced to move elsewhere for much better compensation on your next step.

Advice to Senior Managementpave the way for low grade staff to get better compensation increases when moving roles internally.

All good

Senor Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosmoney security is important and offers you good comp plan vs, others companies.

ConsPolitical, very political. Moves very slowly

The best company I have ever worked for

Test Lead (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsExpedia is the best company I have ever worked for. The best thing that I liked about working there is the amazing work-life balance everyone manages to strike. The work environment is very conducive to creativity and growth. They are really passionate about travel and I just loved that.

ConsReally cannot think of any cons. But if I simply had to state one then it would be limited growth opportunities in the technology sector.

Awesome

Account Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood pay; great benefits; amazing team

ConsSuch a large organisation not all the cogs can feel like the whole works

Worked for Expedia? Contribute to the Community!