Expedia Reviews in United Kingdom

Updated October 24, 2014
3.6

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The company is really a fun place to work and embraces a great work life balance (in 128 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 64 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 39 reviews)

• Upper management is always looking to offshore your job so if you don't kiss a lot of butt you're out (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

68 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Decent place to be if you can get a full term contract.

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The London office is brilliant compared to other places I've worked at; how could it not be with as many free cokes as you want and a roof terrace to look out over London with a bit of lunch? I've also found that if you really apply yourself there are opportunities to move on and up within the company - my initial contract was a third party, 6 month one and now I'm on a contract without a specified end date. I haven't come across any office bullies or anyone who's into being an spiteful/rude for the sake of it so far, which makes getting through the day fairly easy. The fact I can have my headphones in unless making phone calls helps, too.

Cons

When you work on content it can be frustrating that the company ethos is pretty fixed on the use of technology. Try to get some variation into the work you're doing or you'll hear every tick and tock from your watch. The main problem, though, is that anyone on a normal contract has to leave for at least 6 weeks after 2 years of continuous employment with the company. I think it's some sort of workaround for them to avoid having to give people full employees' rights, but whatever the reason they've lost a lot of good people because of it.

I really think the 2 year contract business seriously needs to be looked into.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Localization Quality Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

very good work/family life balance

Cons

leass opportunities to move up in my career

Extremely innovative and great atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The team atmosphere is great and everyone works together, people just help eachother out all the time. Also there are no internal hierarchies, everyone treats everyone the same way. They are really innovative and try to improve their processes ALL THE TIME. Everyone is really nice and super creative, and you get praised and compensated all the time.

Cons

As in any big company, I guess the amount of work is sometimes a little bit too much, although you always get rewarded for it one way or another.

Nothing to suggest really, all managers I had were really nice and super flexible.

All good

Current Employee - Senor Director in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senor Director in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

money security is important and offers you good comp plan vs, others companies.

Cons

Political, very political. Moves very slowly

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expedia provides a great working atmosphere for most departments. Some functions face more pressure than others, depending on what's more important to the business or whats the 'flavor of the month', and also depends on your manager. Mostly, expedia colleugues are really friendly and there are many great perks as an employee. the company provides daily challenges for employees from stakeholder management, to navigating through dinosaur technology and the tasks never stop rolling in.

Cons

I've been at expedia for almost 2 years, but the compensation increase given upon promotion is capped. If you come into expedia on a non-managerial role then you could be stuck on low salary increases, or could be forced to move elsewhere for much better compensation on your next step.

pave the way for low grade staff to get better compensation increases when moving roles internally.

The best company I have ever worked for

Former Employee - Test Lead in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Test Lead in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Expedia is the best company I have ever worked for. The best thing that I liked about working there is the amazing work-life balance everyone manages to strike. The work environment is very conducive to creativity and growth. They are really passionate about travel and I just loved that.

Cons

Really cannot think of any cons. But if I simply had to state one then it would be limited growth opportunities in the technology sector.

Awesome

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay; great benefits; amazing team

Cons

Such a large organisation not all the cogs can feel like the whole works

Dynamic company let down by politics

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Buzzing atmosphere, google-like office layout (in London), interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Lots of behind the scenes politics.

The company was spend its money wiser - I was sent on a trip from London to Seattle for a half day meeting. I arrived to find 6 other attendees calling in from London.

The worse work experience I ever had

Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a temp, I had a good salary, and never had to do extra hours, always leaving at 5.30pm. The monthly drinks were nice. Expedia was my first job as a foreigner in London and launched my career in tourism.

Cons

Because I was a temp, I had to be paid through an umbrella, following multiple problems (never paid on-time, manager forgetting hours, etc. I had to fight for 2 months to get my money back, around £1,500). I was asked to do quantity - the quality being the worse I've ever seen. The management was terrible, people were arrogant and the opportunity of evolving non-existing. Processes are too strict and have to be followed in every single case even though it is often absurd.
    Employement conditions are terrible - my contract was a trick for getting the most of it without any respect, my binomes were employed in Manilla, had to work at night in a cellar. I was made redundant because Expedia decided to relocate to Greece, offering half of my salary to unskilled people (I was hired for doing French content, they hired non native French there), for working in terrible conditions (non air con, 10h work per day, 15min lunch break, etc.).

Read above and learn from your mistakes: respect people.

Lacks culture

Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Undoubtedly, the marketing budgets are huge. The office is smart like a googleplex. Strategy is aggressive and salaries are very competitive, with good benefits like car allowance and full family healthcare. Plust travel discounts for personal travel. And a lot of business travel depending on the division and team.

Cons

The company is too large and there's no culture embedded in the daily work. It lacks a passionate leader. The centre of power is the US headquarters. Any other offices lack political power and depend on what takes place outside their region. VPs and Senior Directors move around and get fired too often - a bad message from the top management. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Work for your employees and customers - not for the shareholders.