Expedia

Updated December 19, 2014
3.8

Expedia President and CEO Dara Khosrowshahi
Dara Khosrowshahi

Pros
  • The team I work on tries very hard to maintain a healthy work/life balance (in 138 reviews)

• Good working environment, nice people and travel benefits and good work life balance (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work/ life balance *might* make up for this when compared to some companies (in 42 reviews)

• Without close personal relationships to senior management you will hit a ceiling in your development (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

72 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Dynamic company let down by politics

Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Data Scientist in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Buzzing atmosphere, google-like office layout (in London), interesting projects to work on.

Cons

Lots of behind the scenes politics.

The company was spend its money wiser - I was sent on a trip from London to Seattle for a half day meeting. I arrived to find 6 other attendees calling in from London.

The worse work experience I ever had

Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Web Content Coordinator in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a temp, I had a good salary, and never had to do extra hours, always leaving at 5.30pm. The monthly drinks were nice. Expedia was my first job as a foreigner in London and launched my career in tourism.

Cons

Because I was a temp, I had to be paid through an umbrella, following multiple problems (never paid on-time, manager forgetting hours, etc. I had to fight for 2 months to get my money back, around £1,500). I was asked to do quantity - the quality being the worse I've ever seen. The management was terrible, people were arrogant and the opportunity of evolving non-existing. Processes are too strict and have to be followed in every single case even though it is often absurd.
    Employement conditions are terrible - my contract was a trick for getting the most of it without any respect, my binomes were employed in Manilla, had to work at night in a cellar. I was made redundant because Expedia decided to relocate to Greece, offering half of my salary to unskilled people (I was hired for doing French content, they hired non native French there), for working in terrible conditions (non air con, 10h work per day, 15min lunch break, etc.).

Read above and learn from your mistakes: respect people.

Lacks culture

Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Online Marketing Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Undoubtedly, the marketing budgets are huge. The office is smart like a googleplex. Strategy is aggressive and salaries are very competitive, with good benefits like car allowance and full family healthcare. Plust travel discounts for personal travel. And a lot of business travel depending on the division and team.

Cons

The company is too large and there's no culture embedded in the daily work. It lacks a passionate leader. The centre of power is the US headquarters. Any other offices lack political power and depend on what takes place outside their region. VPs and Senior Directors move around and get fired too often - a bad message from the top management. It doesn't inspire confidence.

Work for your employees and customers - not for the shareholders.

Great company but career progression is slow and unbalanced across the org

Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great offices, travel discounts, high level leadership good, social young staff, work hard play hard attitude.

Cons

Slow progression in some teams, the company should try to develop more internal up and coming members of the team rather than hire externals. Salary increases are very low which in some cases force people to leave in order to get a jump in base (often just to match your roles market value). Change management poor and rushed.

There has been a lot of attrition and change recently but management should ensure that the culture does not change with that.

The culture here is exceptional.

Current Employee - Senior Director, Global Learning Organisation in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Expedia take the time to recruit like minded professional people. That means there is a great culture when you start. There is trust that you will deliver and it's the most high performing culture I have been a part of (and I used to work for Apple!) The sentiment of "hire great people and get out of their way" is totally understood. I have freedom to deliver exceptional work here.

Cons

Honestly, I have been here for nearly a year and struggle to honestly find any cons.

More opportunities for leadership teams to meet and share & network (not just the women!).

Awesome place to work

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Expedia provides a great working atmosphere for most departments. Some functions face more pressure than others, depending on what's more important to the business or whats the 'flavor of the month', and also depends on your manager. Mostly, expedia colleugues are really friendly and there are many great perks as an employee. the company provides daily challenges for employees from stakeholder management, to navigating through dinosaur technology and the tasks never stop rolling in.

Cons

I've been at expedia for almost 2 years, but the compensation increase given upon promotion is capped. If you come into expedia on a non-managerial role then you could be stuck on low salary increases, or could be forced to move elsewhere for much better compensation on your next step.

pave the way for low grade staff to get better compensation increases when moving roles internally.

Awesome

Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good pay; great benefits; amazing team

Cons

Such a large organisation not all the cogs can feel like the whole works

Smart people, fast paced, great office environment

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- good salary
    - great benefits
    - informal but still professional environment
    - easy to share feedback and best practices
    - internal career often encouraged

Cons

- still a bit too "USA-centric" on some high level decisions
    - in some teams career advancement could be a bit slower (although moving to other teams/departments/countries is often encouraged and supported)
    - on some occasions, from high levels there's a high focus on numbers and less focus on headcount

- try to gain independence from the US for some local decisions
    - continue in properly aligning supply and demand
    - always take into consideration headcount when fixing targets

Great company.

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Expedia full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People, environment, culture, travel, fast moving industry

Cons

really need to focus on leadership to ensure future success of the team

as above - strong leader needed to pull team together

Frustrating, worthless.

Former Employee - Front-End Developer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Front-End Developer in London, England (UK)

I worked at Expedia full-time (less than an year)

Pros

International way of working, very big company. I had the opportunity to work with people across the world in a interesting project. Unluckily mobody in the decision-making wanted to move forward in any sense so everything was just more and more frustrating.

Cons

Impossible to do almost anything, more bosses than developers making incredible meetings to decide the most tiny things. Totally wasted.
    No interest at all in innovation.
    Management doesn't have a clue about technological advances, nor they want to do, as they are only worried about "staying the same".

Focus in doing "something" instead of "staying like we are". The world runs 1,000 times faster.