Expedia Reviews

Reset

1. Glad I came back !!

Former Employee - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The People/Talent and the feeling of "Global". Walking in to a new position, everyone is very helpful and welcoming. Having worked for large companies before this is not always the case. I was very surprised on my first day how organized it was and welcoming. The benefits are extremely good, flexibility in work schedules, and it's a growing company.

Cons

Haven't seen any so far!!

Advice to Management

There is a lot of room to grow. This is a great company to come to if you want to be a long term employee. Not only are the opportunities available to you locally, but Globally as well. I have been away from Expedia for 10 years and I am so lucky to be able to come back. It has grown significantly, and I hope to finish my career and be able to retire here at Expedia !

2. My Dream job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits! Reasonable expectations which results in good work-life balance. We work hard, but people respect that we also have families and interests outside of work. Smart people who want to be here and are committed to getting the job done.

Cons

Not necessarily committed to hiring within the company, which makes it hard to move between departments.

Advice to Management

Create a clear way to grow your career.

Low appreciation of talent, middle management is terrible.

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The work was interesting, the people are great. Pay and benefits are OK, but there are better-paying opportunities elsewhere..

Cons

Middle management is hit or miss. If you get stuck with a bad manager, you're in for a world of pain. Movement within the company is limited. Not much appreciation for talent, nor much gratitude for hard work.

Advice to Management

Value your taken more than your middle managers. So much wasted time and effort comes from unqualified middle managers who make bad decisions and micro-manage processes they don't understand. Expedia needs an HR department that actually tries to mediate issues that arise from poor management, rather than always assuming managerial infallibility as the guiding rule.

Willing to invest in your potential

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In my three years at Expedia, my leadership recognized my skills, contributions and potential by giving me new opportunities to learn new subject matter areas, and gain new skills. They recognized that I am motivated by challenging myself and growing professionally. They definitely satisfied that need. I also work with incredible colleagues who want to do the right thing for the company and work together to solve business problems. Executives are also very accessible and responsive.

Cons

There are some long timers who have dubious value that still hang around. I keep waiting for them to 'look for other opportunities' but they stay. Expedia does not attract based on compensation so if you only care about compensation, this is not the place for you. If you want interesting work with a fantastic product, Expedia is great.

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of the dead weight that drags down the company

I am a manager in Analytics.

Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Analytics Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The building is great, the hours are flexible and the people are very nice. If you are actively engaged, anything you want to learn about the company you can learn, and they are very open about the company's performance. Vacation and benefits policies are great, and being a vacation company, they are very understanding about time off and outside interests. It's a culture focused on "what you contribute and deliver", not "how many hours you work".

Cons

Training and development, while talked about, is sometimes lacking. People are willing to support you, but development is secondary and self-serve. Similarly with diversity, the company is definitely supportive but not necessarily proactive( the strong women initiatives are the exception). Compensation is decent but not generous enough for high performers to retain top talent. Expedia seems to often lose employees to higher paychecks and gain employees through better work-life balance.

Expedia is great if you have a two income household and as a stepping stone

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent Benefits, 4 weeks PTO (that covers holidays, sick days and vacation days) to start, travel and well being ( fitness programs, etc..) yearly, friendly and helpful co-workers and management

Cons

Extreme micro management, stressful work situation due to the level of micromanagement

Advice to Management

Allow for a learning curve and provide more support to the people just entering the floor. There is way too much to learn to be expected to hit the floor running especially for the low wage salary being offered. The level of expertise and stress required for this job deserves much more pay. You need to allow employees to breathe in between these stressful calls rather than constantly make employees stress over numbers that causes the company way more than it saves due to the mistakes being made as a result of trying to make these numbers.

8. A fun company to work at

Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company culture is joyful and fun. There're many interesting problems to tackle. Company is in downtown bellevue with a lot of great restaurants around.

Cons

Vacations cannot accumulate after the end of the year.

9. Good work-life balance with opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance with opportunities for growth.

Cons

Not enough pay. Too much management; the company is not lean.

Advice to Management

Increase pay or you will lose out top talent.

Good and bad

Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart and helpful people

Cons

Career growth here is a factor of race, gender & how close you are to your manager Managers like to play god and decide the fate of many employees like a game of chess

Advice to Management

Please pay attention to ethical issues in hiring and career growth related issues

Expedia Response

May 29, 2014 – HR

Thanks for your feedback. We have many internal affinity groups supporting our employees and these groups all have a seat at the company-wide Diversity Roundtable where issues, ideas and insights ... More

It's a company of refugees, but that's not a bad thing.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Expedia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone here is basically a refugee from Amazon, Microsoft, or Google. They've come here for the great benefits and work/life balance. I never get an email after 5pm or on the weekends, I never work more than 40 hours a week and I'm not expected to. They force you to take your vacations, it's pretty awesome.

Cons

Our dev teams are second rate because we don't give them equity or pay the going rate. It's hard to hire quality people when you can't pay them what they'd make anywhere else, and you can't be a cutting edge technology company if you don't hire quality people. Very few women in leadership roles. The company is committed to improving this, but they are way behind the times.

Advice to Management

Your products are only as good as your technology. Invest in some decent devs. Pay them whatever they ask for. They will allow us to innovate, and then good devs will want to be here. Promote some women!

Showing 889 of 1,260 reviews