Expeditors

Expeditors Reviews

Updated Jun 26, 2014

Expeditors Chairman and CEO Peter J. Rose

Peter J. Rose

Pros:
  • "Family feel, job security, highly viewed logistics company"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Fully paid health benefits for employees and their families is provided as well as a profitable Employee Stock Purchase Plan"
    in 7 reviews
Cons:
  • "Occasionally the dress code becomes a bit ridiculous, but I prefer having one too strict than one that is too transparent"
    in 22 reviews
  • "no HR, no diversity, no flex time, too much red tape"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

IS department is a bit sluggish

Associate Software Developer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people, great benefits, IS department does not have a lot of pressure, except in a few groups.

ConsSoftware development is very inefficient. Lots of money is spent, but very little new business value is created. The company is financially well off so it doesn't have to be very accountable for its shortcomings, which can make it quite lethargic feeling. I didn't feel like I was learning good principles of programming and that I would potentially stagnate there if I stayed. Great first foot in the door. Most long-term employees are older and enjoy the security for their families, but don't care too much about fast-paced technological process.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment teams depend too much on one person who give out all the orders and keep making the same broken systems over and over again. There is not a lot of responsibility to where the money goes and it feels like most people just do what's passable to enjoy their day and keep their job. Not much external pressure except when there is a fire and then too often the result to just to fall back on old ways of doing things. More things should be done to make the IS dept's more attractive to talented young people rather than those with no experience.

15 years

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat company that promotes from within that has a contagious culture. Proprietary systems that allows for a lot of flexibility to meet customers expectations.

ConsTough work life balance due to the number of hours needed to get the job done. A lot of entry level turn over which makes it difficult to propel forward with productivity initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet feedback from your department managers on how a branch is running.

Excellent Company

Desk Agent (Current Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsTalk about having the golden ticket. Don't be fooled, you will work hard, very, very hard. However the opportunity and reward come back ten fold. This company puts their money where their mouth is, they're interested in talent and they do all they can to recruit and keep it. Managers are there to encourage and support you through your journey, your team members become your second family, and the possibility of promotion and financial gain is an absolute reality for those who want it. Sure, there's always some corporate BS and nepotism, you'll never find a company without it, but I think Expeditors is a class act for their size and industry.

ConsThe company focuses on recruiting from college so the bulk of the staff is young kids, first job out of college. If they aren't seasoned to the workforce it can be quite a shock, maybe feelings of entitlement. Things won't be handed to you, but they're all there for the taking if you're willing to put the work in and have a good attitude. If not however you can be left behind which some people feel is unfair. There's always a heavy ratio of male to female managers, would be better to see more women in positions of senior management locally. Occasionally the dress code becomes a bit ridiculous, but I prefer having one too strict than one that is too transparent.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are always shining stars, try to focus on those that don't burn as bright. See what you can do to make them feel just as crucial to the team and that they too have potential.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

get with the times

Import Agent (Current Employee)

ProsGreat benefits if you are a lead or higher you get a monthly bonus...

ConsWe are in 2014 and Expeditors still does not let their employees work from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementGET WITH THE TIME...

Expeditors

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

ProsThe people I worked with were just great, had a blast working there for the most part. The management team was also very down to earth and easy to talk to. Relocated to a new city and am hoping to stay with the company. Learned a lot.

ConsAll employees start as temps, and the temp period can be very long for some employees. At least this was the case in the location where I worked. Over two years seems to be the norm now which can be frustrating since the pay is low as a temp along with no medical or dental benefits. You do get time off and paid holidays which helps out.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of your good employees, cut the temp period to a specified time frame, if the employee doesnt cut it, let them go.

Warehouse Agent - Air

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay with a College degree. Made about $1-$2 more per hour than the other agents.

ConsForced Overtime, breaks that you might get, work environment, non-existent training, and managers that do not know how to lead a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease treat your employees like an adult and don't talk down to them. While I was there the team that was comprised of mainly college graduates lost about 1/3 of their team every several months.

High expectations and will only recognize your contributions to keep you.

Customs Bokerage (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsThe large company allows you the promise to make a 15-20 year career. You must possess the patience to take low pay and high turnover rates of team members. This produces limited forward growth and a stagnant culture

ConsIt will take you 10+ years to make real gains in compensation and responsibility. If you make it to mid-level manager, then the compensation will be worth the many years of service.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire overachievers who expect white collar work. Continue the practice of promoting from within or rolling over blue to white collar. This will eliminate the churn and burn culture

Great company for the long run

ProsNo lay-offs. Great training opportunities.

ConsFairly low pay, boring if you are not interested in the industry

Good first job

Accountant (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThey like fresh and hungry people

ConsVery old school, no professional reviews done, no one on one's.

Overall a nice working environment, just not for me.

ProsThe people who work there are great, fun working environment. Location is very convenient too, right smack in the center of downtown Seattle. You get weekly training in the beginning, which were sometimes useful but other times just a waste of time. The team leads all do a good job checking in on you, and each team gets along quite well.

ConsSome of the company values I disagree with, they are a bit more conservative, and they do not seem to value college education too much. The procedures for everything was long-winding and I do not feel like there was much room to show creativity.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture and environment is stiff, although synergy between the teams are not bad.

Worked for Expeditors? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Expeditors reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Expeditors CEO Peter J. Rose. All 240 reviews posted anonymously by Expeditors employees.