Expeditors Reviews

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
3.2

Jeffrey S. Musser

Pros
  • Family feel, job security, highly viewed logistics company (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits if you are a lead or higher you get a monthly bonus (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Over two years seems to be the norm now which can be frustrating since the pay is low as a temp along with no medical or dental benefits (in 13 reviews)

• Occasionally the dress code becomes a bit ridiculous, but I prefer having one too strict than one that is too transparent (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Very passionate about Expeditors. For the right person this company is one of the best in the world.

Current Employee - Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Operations Manager

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The culture, the Expeditors family, the work ethic, the professionalism and the culture of limitless potential. There is strong leadership and a true open door policy. We are our harshest critic on all fronts and we set high expectations for ourselves (and from our customers) and are focused on exceeding them daily.

Cons

Great place for a career not for a job. We work hard, but play hard.

Continue to make the place a place of limitless potential.

Okay

I have been working at Expeditors

Pros

Nice people who treat everything professionally

Cons

Bad pay, no growth opportunities. Management is too strict

Chill out on the dress code

Great place. Great people. Great growth opportunity.

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

I felt that my supervisor and manager were really looking for talent and sought to make the most of my abilities while helping me to grow professionally. Their online employee training was pretty good, too.

Cons

The pay seemed a bit low, though they often talked about excellent benefits for all employees and the advancement opportunities for those on the management track.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Entry-Level Experience

Current Employee - Import Agent
    Current Employee - Import Agent

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room for growth, lots to learn. Expeditors promotes training, learning by doing, and gives you freedom to make mistakes and learn from them.

Cons

Low entry-level salary. Lots of inefficiencies come with being a 3rd party logistics provider, and it gets tedious.

Good place to get experience

I have been working at Expeditors

Pros

Good place to start at if you don't have any industry experience

Cons

The company needs to focus more on developing its employees

Don't waste ur life

Former Employee - Air Export Agent  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Air Export Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Expeditors as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Cool co workers for the most part. Will hire with no experience so u can learn the industry. Fast pace.

Cons

Too much work too little time. It's pretty easy and repetitive not much thinking for the most part. No real room for advancement.
    Say u need a degree to get hired but don't pay enough.

Too long to be temp before hire. Years, not months.

Trickle down the money. that's why ur turnover is so high. But they know this and don't give a.....

No experience required for hire but slow growth in career

Former Employee - EDI Systems Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - EDI Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

No experience required to get hired to the company. Most people come in based on referrals. They look for attitude and not actual skills. Not as fast paced as stated. Everything is trainable.

Education requirements low - some community college classes is sufficient as long as you're a good talker and know someone in the company already.

Low competition in terms of work pace.

Cons

Promotions are rare and happens only when you've put in your time. Salary raises are rare and minimal, 1-3k/year depending on how long you've been there. High the first year but drops down drastically afterwards because at that point, they think you're already committed to the company. Many people quit after year 2 so there's a deficient of mid-level employees.

Low salary to start off. No bonuses, low 401k matching.

Management watches the clock on your forced 1-hour lunch break and also your in/out time even though you're a salaried employee on paper. Overtime expected but no compensation.

Pay your employees better, work on increasing team moral instead of watching when they come in/out, be more flexible with time.

IS department is a bit sluggish

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, great benefits, IS department does not have a lot of pressure, except in a few groups.

Cons

Software development is very inefficient. Lots of money is spent, but very little new business value is created. The company is financially well off so it doesn't have to be very accountable for its shortcomings, which can make it quite lethargic feeling. I didn't feel like I was learning good principles of programming and that I would potentially stagnate there if I stayed. Great first foot in the door. Most long-term employees are older and enjoy the security for their families, but don't care too much about fast-paced technological process.

Development teams depend too much on one person who give out all the orders and keep making the same broken systems over and over again. There is not a lot of responsibility to where the money goes and it feels like most people just do what's passable to enjoy their day and keep their job. Not much external pressure except when there is a fire and then too often the result to just to fall back on old ways of doing things. More things should be done to make the IS dept's more attractive to talented young people rather than those with no experience.

Low pay, bad management style, no salary increase with promotions, low moral

Former Employee - EDI Systems Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - EDI Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Expeditors full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Some people are nice
    -Their softwares are up to date
    -A good place to start off for ~1 years of experience into the field of logistics (would not recommend wasting time to stay longer)

Cons

-Terrible trainings with people who do not care about what they are teaching but do it just to get in their yearly 52 hours requirement
    -Documentation all over the place
    -NO SALARY INCREASE with promotions. Moving from Level I to Level II means nothing financially. If you stay around for 2 years you'd be guaranteed a 'promotion'
    -Salary increase is at max ~3k/year in the beginning. Less so as you work there longer. The difference between a good and a bad analyst is ~3-5k. Worthless to work hard. Just do average work and you get the same salary increase.
    -Low moral
    -No team building
    -Expects analysts to be flexible with hours for international clients but salary not justified
    -Salaried pay but management watches the clock on in/out time. You get a talkin' to even if late by 10 minutes. Can never come in late but they expect you to put in extra hours often
    -Vacation is 10 days for year 1-2, 15 days for year 3-10. That's right, from year 3 to year 10, you only get 15 days of vacation. Paid time off does not exist even for family emergencies/injuries
    -Developers should avoid this company - You get paid in the 40k range starting off. That's pretty low for a development position in Seattle
    -People in supervisor positions that are not capable. They've got supervisors who lack basic social interaction skills and can't communicate to their employees.
    -No flextime

-Highly consider pay raise with promotion. Every other company at your level does it.
    -Take more time to work on how to bring up team spirit instead of watching the clock on when they come in.
    -Management wonders why they can't find good developers to hire? PAY THEM MORE like every other company.

Good company culture and good stability

Current Employee - IS Support  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IS Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time for more than a year

Pros

People are generally awesome, you are treated well. Overall successful and smart leadership

Cons

Flexibility for PTO could be better. Major IT projects can be slow paced with lack of communication

Continue to focus on your employees

Worked for Expeditors? Contribute to the Community!