Expeditors

Updated December 4, 2014
Updated December 4, 2014
3.2

Jeffrey S. Musser

Pros
  • Family feel, job security, highly viewed logistics company (in 14 reviews)

• Great benefits if you are a lead or higher you get a monthly bonus (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Occasionally the dress code becomes a bit ridiculous, but I prefer having one too strict than one that is too transparent (in 22 reviews)

• Extremely low pay compared to the industry standards (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

get with the times

Current Employee - Import Agent
    Current Employee - Import Agent

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits if you are a lead or higher you get a monthly bonus...

Cons

We are in 2014 and Expeditors still does not let their employees work from home.

GET WITH THE TIME...

Overall a nice working environment, just not for me.

I have been working at Expeditors

Pros

The people who work there are great, fun working environment. Location is very convenient too, right smack in the center of downtown Seattle. You get weekly training in the beginning, which were sometimes useful but other times just a waste of time. The team leads all do a good job checking in on you, and each team gets along quite well.

Cons

Some of the company values I disagree with, they are a bit more conservative, and they do not seem to value college education too much. The procedures for everything was long-winding and I do not feel like there was much room to show creativity.

Office culture and environment is stiff, although synergy between the teams are not bad.

High expectations and will only recognize your contributions to keep you.

Former Employee - Customs Bokerage in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Customs Bokerage in Houston, TX

I worked at Expeditors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The large company allows you the promise to make a 15-20 year career. You must possess the patience to take low pay and high turnover rates of team members. This produces limited forward growth and a stagnant culture

Cons

It will take you 10+ years to make real gains in compensation and responsibility. If you make it to mid-level manager, then the compensation will be worth the many years of service.

Do not hire overachievers who expect white collar work. Continue the practice of promoting from within or rolling over blue to white collar. This will eliminate the churn and burn culture

Warehouse Agent - Air

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

Decent pay with a College degree. Made about $1-$2 more per hour than the other agents.

Cons

Forced Overtime, breaks that you might get, work environment, non-existent training, and managers that do not know how to lead a team.

Please treat your employees like an adult and don't talk down to them. While I was there the team that was comprised of mainly college graduates lost about 1/3 of their team every several months.

Great company for the long run

I have been working at Expeditors

Pros

No lay-offs. Great training opportunities.

Cons

Fairly low pay, boring if you are not interested in the industry

Good first job

Current Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They like fresh and hungry people

Cons

Very old school, no professional reviews done, no one on one's.

Lead Agent

Current Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to gain industry knowledge. Great for fresh out of college and in need of experience and great for those who just want steady work to care for a family.

Cons

No work family life balance. Certain departments expected to have 10 to 20 hours if mandatory overtime per pay period. Instead of hiring a new person they will work a team to death and not bring In more people until others threaten to quit. Offices are very political, only way to move up is if the right person likes you (or how you look).

Process improvement is great, but please get better at realizing that sometime you need more people to share the work load. Realize that employees are not satisfied and need more encouragement and more help to get their jobs done.

Great experience

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

Good company to work for, plenty of opportunity to learn and gain experience.

Cons

Strict dress code in place

Good experience so far for the most part.

I have been working at Expeditors full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I like the company and the people a lot, the only part I do not like is how it takes to get hired by the company through a staffing agency. A lot is expected from employees and it still takes a long time to get hired.

Cons

Lots of deadlines and stressful situations depending on the position. Although that is the case with with most jobs and seems to be especially prevelant in the logistics industry.

Conservative Facade, Seedy Underworld

I worked at Expeditors

Pros

In general, at first glimpse at least, culture of excellence as an expectation. Easy to get noticed if you're of their preferred personality type (completely alpha type, but young, young, young enough to have no frame of reference for comparison).

It wasn't hard to get promoted after a year of hard work. They do a good job of making you feel like you matter.

Cons

Lots of unnecessary layers of management that spend a bulk of their time making sure the illusion of the need for their job is protected; instead of developing skilled people and enhancing processes or performance that add real value to the organization.

Reports and meetings and meetings and reports, and reports about meetings and meetings about reports; and a meeting about the reports and the data they contained about the best structure and mood of meetings to present the findings of a specific report. Seriously?!?!?!

When things are good, life is brilliant. I genuinely mean that. I worked for my branch for years before I ever had a negative experience. But, man, when challenges come, the facade crumbles and the ugly surfaces. You'll get sacrificed without a second thought given. The more loyal the employee seems, the more likely to be martyred for management's sake.

There is a clear expectation that your success at EI be the unquestioned top priority in your life. After all, they let you have a picture of your kids at your desk; what else do you really need? You can spend time with them when they're older and you have climbed that ranks.

Stop giving lip service to "Our people are our only asset" and start living it. Sure the informal "no layoff" policy is nice, but that's not getting you squat as far as an honest culture of appreciation goes. Neither is Employee Appreciation Day. Try telling the people that bleed for you that they make the difference in your daily actions.

Also, stop shoving the trail of talented people leaving your doors under the rug. You can only ignore active feedback so long by saying "They weren't EI material. Some people just can't cut it." Were you wrong the first two times you promoted me? Am I really not cut out for it? Or, as scary as it may be for you to objectively consider, is it possible that there is something wrong that leads to the pattern of "recognition, promotion, success, failure, exit" you continue to witness?