Experian Americas

www.experian.com

Experian Americas Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014
Experian Americas – “North America Education Ambassador Program”

Not yet rated.

Craig Boundy

Pros
  • For me, work-life balance is okay, no complaints(in 7 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits but no loyalty, doesn't matter how hard you work or how smart you are(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews(in 4 reviews)

• Asked to use cumbersome CRM tool from Siebel as well as update several manual spreadsheets weekly for senior management(in 6 reviews)

Stay away from this place

Software Development Manager (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGood place to retire, very competitive pay and great benefits.

ConsManagement hiding behind "processes" to kill productivity. Since they are essentially have a monopoly (yes I know there are two other bureaus), they easily get away with total lack of innovation. Obsolete tools, technology use and automation.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and realize if you don't forward and change eventually you'll be left behind and die off.

No Respect for Employees - Horrible workplace

Director (Current Employee) League City, TX

Prosdecent 401k, work from home

ConsA lot of hostility within the Specialized Sales Channel. No respect for women who want to start families. Good old boy atmosphere. Experian thrives on creating a back stabbing culture. I gained weight due to pregnancy and have received hostile comments from managers. Unless you are great at sucking up you are living on borrowed time. I have worked for a competitor of Experian and wish I could go back there.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the phony job satisfaction surveys. You manipulate the answers so what good does it do? Get rid of the useless Bank of America refugees that you call Executive Management. WE ARE NOT A BANK!

Thought it was improving, but it's reverting back to good ol boys club

Senior Marketing Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPros – - Great benefits (100% matching 401k, medical, dental, vision)
    - Nice offices
    - Heart of Experian (philanthropic arm); although it's really just for good company PR
    - Health Matters, incl health insurance discounts

Cons- Leadership is good old boys club, as other reviewers have said
    - They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews
    - Internal opportunities aplenty, but things get politically challenging if you pursue something outside your dept, and the transition is lengthy and painful
    - Not enough budget or head count to stay ahead of the competition; goals increase, but budget stays status quo
    - Silo'd mentally of business units: they have separate P&L's which makes it difficult to to work across teams and makes us appear disjointed to our clients. Overall structure is very confusing to vendors and clients.
    - Some depts more concerned about perception of their people than quality of work
    - Many people don’t return calls or emails—some of whom are in upper management. How do these people still have jobs?
    - It's a global company with people based from their homes and various Experian offices nationwide. However, if you want to get promoted, you're suddenly required to be based in Costa Mesa, Ca. Great talent being passed over due to geography.
    - Promoting those who don’t deserve it (i.e., they have no degree), while overlooking the more qualified, hard-working staff, just because they aren’t brown nosers
    - Off-shoring of IT support to Chile and Costa Rica: slow to help you—you’re on the phone for at least an hour only to discover they can't resolve the problem; things sometimes get lost in translation due to language barriers; what a waste of my time just to save the company a few bucks

Advice to Senior Management- Walk around to mingle with your staff, rather than only during quarterly All Hands meetings; I miss the days when the dept head actually 'cared'
    - Base promotions on true talent, loyalty, skills, experience and education rather than whether or not they look good, are in Costa Mesa, and kiss your behind
    - Don't burn out your employees

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experian offers career growth, rewards for performance, working side by side with top tier talent.

Talent Acquisition (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsExperian has a dynamic atmosphere filled with challenge, growth, technology, and innovation. You will work with people that will take you to the next level in your career and have fun in the process. The environment is professional and collaborative, focused on growth with many reward programs for strong performance. The resources to increase personal success are right at your fingertips!

ConsVery complex, large organization. Takes time to learn the business and the people.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace the hiring of up-and-comers and those with smaller company experience with potential to learn the complexities of a large organization.

Satisfied

ProsOffers challenges and provides tools to accomplish goals set.
    Home/Life Balance
    Growing Company, acquiring other companies

ConsLeadership changes, which then changes direct reports goals

Experian - A Disappointment

Software Developer (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible hours and work-from-home policy.

ConsLittle job satisfaction. No training on poorly documented internal software. Constant threat of being laid off. Overly competitive environment resulting in minimal sharing of information between team members. Frequent use of large email distribution groups to disparage team members for even the slightest mistakes. The longer you work there and the more valuable you become to the company, the more tolerant management is of the above-referenced behaviors. My best advice to anyone considering a software developer position at Experian: Keep looking.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not just dismiss any kind of constructive criticism because it is coming from an employee who is not in a managerial role. Try showing some respect and compassion to those who have made a lot of sacrifices for the company and are being let go for cheaper alternatives.

May want to look elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers and excellent benefits.

ConsTop heavy and bottom line numbers are made at the expense of employee layoffs.

Great Company Tough Competitive and Regulatory landscape

Vice President Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSmart and dedicated workforce, good management. US HQ is in an incredibly beautiful location in Costa Mesa, CA. Every quota-carrying customer-facing salesperson gets a car leased for them. Nice perk!

ConsCompetitive and regulatory pressure is hampering morale and growth in the Preferred and Strategic sales organizations. In some sales organizations, the travel justifications required for customer-facing sellers include getting pre approval of travel. There are multiple Silo organizations for Affinity Marketing,CheetahMail, Consumer (Credit Services / CIS), Business (BIS), Decision Analytics. Products can sometimes be overlapping or competing and confusing to clients who are called upon by multiple sellers within these sales Silos. Senior leadership in this BIS organization are under tremendous pressure to deliver and is poorly viewed by those employees. Poor Management and Product Quality in certain areas are NOT where they need to be. Incredibly expensive infrastructure security and maintenance for the company Data Center where major applications are hosted. This hampers a competitive price structure - which is often the reason sales is losing to competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit the knee-jerk organizational changes that typically include taking sellers out of the customer engagements they are in. Gain command of the various silos and rationalize the end to end Product Development Process. You need to give straight and continuous feedback as you bring aboard new leaders to the organization. With West Coast leadership this is often impossible to accomplish if you work on the east coast. HR leadership does not advocate for employees or engage with recommendations or help. Overall? Disappointing ride.

Account Executive

Account Executive (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsSo much opportunity on their BIS side - service, cost, data and product uniquely positioned in marketplace.

ConsLots of updates on your deal progress requested from all levels of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet sales run their business, be there for support as they always are.

Extremely Hostile to It's Own managment and Employees

IT Director (Current Employee) Costa Mesa, CA

ProsHard to think of any

ConsHaving left Experian, I now remember what it's like to work at a place that appreciates their employees. Experian has 1 BILLION in profit. Hard to think why they feel they need to belittle their employees and grind them and treat them as disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs an old friend of mine taught me, the fish goes bad from the head. Most of the executive managment really needs to be replaced by human beings that care for the people that work at Experian.

Worked for Experian Americas? Contribute to the Community!