Experian Americas Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
Updated October 15, 2014
2.9

Craig Boundy

Pros
  • work life balance, some of my colleagues were nice, our division was an interesting business (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits but no loyalty, doesn't matter how hard you work or how smart you are (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management profiles and targets groups of people for termination (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It's an OK place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Director
    Current Employee - Senior Director

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

They offer excellent compensation and benefits. A very generous time off policy with high levels of accrual for FTO. Great for Statisticians and Programmers in that this is the crux of what Experian does. Not so great for the rest of us.

Cons

Getting more bureaucratic all the time. Just trying to get all the supplies and equipment for a new employee requires and Act of Congress it seems.

The notion of career development is essentially a recruiting tool....I can count on 1 hand the number of promotions I've seen occur in the 6 years I've been with this group. Management: Create that pathway, or you will continue to lose people to better opportunities.

If you can stay off the radar, you can probably eek out a pretty good career for a few years at Experian Consumer Direct

Former Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedule if you are part of any supervisory role. Challenging work environment. Great place to get your "feet wet" in a Fortune 500 company and learn the ins and outs of corporate politics.

Cons

Lay offs were like clockwork at the end of every fiscal year (April). Vision and strategy of the company would COMPLETELY change direction based on mid year financial projections. This often meant the customer got the short end of the stick. Good ol boys club at Executive mgmt level with a huge amount of alpha females in all depts. who would not hesitate to backstab/sell out team members on their way up the ladder. Lot's of silos even though we were always told that they had been broken down. Taking time off was encouraged publicly but privately it was strongly "suggested" that you work from home/vacation or else your job might be deemed expendable. Very much a "what have you done for me lately" environment at times.

Pick a strategy for the year and execute it faithfully. Stop focusing on the order funnel and really start improving the way you relate with customers to better retain them. Truly develop meaningful and innovative consumer solutions instead of re-hashing the same ol bait n switch methods on the credit membership programs.

Too much change

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, excellent pay and benefits. Most of the time, the work is quite interesting.

Cons

Too much change over the last year. During the recession there were lots of lay-offs and virtually no positions have been refilled. This has led to burnout amongst too many good people. While the work is rewarding and the people are great, the consistent demand to do more with less is going to drive people to leave now that the job market is better.

Bottom line focus has led to missed investment opportunities in people and platforms. The company and BOD need to take a longer term view than they currently do so that the company can compete better than it is currently doing.

Been good

Current Employee - Director in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you are good, work is stable.
    401k matching
    Good vacation structure
    Flexi hours
    Tuition reimbursement
    Depending on position, cellphones paid for
    Good medical, dental vision
    Short & long term disability

Cons

Sometimes too much politics.
    lengthy procedures to get things done
    Top heavy with out of touch people (50/50 split)

Constant layoffs do little to motivate.
    some people live in fear when their manager says "be thankful you even have a job"

Experian ruined Medical Present Value ( MPV)

I worked at Experian Americas full-time

Pros

MPV was a terrifc place to work. The company culture was upbeat and supportive. The focused was on excellence, teamwork and on serving our clients.

Cons

After MPV was acquired by Experian to form Experian Healthcare everything changed for the worse. The "leaders" Experian sent in were anything but. The focus was on bottomline growth by bean counters and the rest be damned.

Hopefully the Passport leadership is in charge now.

Horrible Company... Avoid

I worked at Experian Americas as a contractor

Pros

Not much in the way of pros... maybe pay would be about it

Cons

Management disconnected, Resourcing shortages, Attrition, Back Stabbing... the list goes on and on

Trying...

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many employees have been there for 20+ years; I love my manager, but I know my manager is frustrated with upper management. However, a lot of jobs are being moved to Chile and Costa Rica.

Cons

A lot of jobs are being moved to Chile and Costa Rica, although I think some of those will be regretted - will be loss of customer satisfaction, which is already an issue.

If you want consumer trust, you should provide a robust product to truly assist people repair their credit - not just tell them what increases/decreases rating...most know this but were hit hard during the recent recession and need to know how to clear up older issues.

Did not pay out bonus to top performer

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

Last year bonus was cut in half due to company performance, this year they gave nothing, I was a top rated employee.

Since I left, I realized that this was an even more awful place to work than I realized when I was there. They are cheap and the bulk of their leadership is terrible. Very high turnover.

The worst place I ever worked, which is saying a lot

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had good work-life balance. That was honestly the reason I stayed as long as I did but in the end, it wasn't nearly enough.

Cons

Swimming in mediocrity, terrible talent brand, don't care about employees

Experian was profitable in 2013, but didn't hit their overly aggressive targets, so they screwed people out of bonuses, but top performers were still supposed to get something. They have a written policy that if you are still employed at end of fiscal year (April 1), you will get your bonus. They did not honor that this year, even though it was a written policy. If you left after April 1, they just screwed you out of it. No letter, nothing. It's a class action suit waiting to happen. And this is one of many examples of how little they care about their employees.

Middle management unethical, no accountability

Former Employee - Client Services in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Client Services in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

good work life balance, good benefits

Cons

no growth opportunity, very clicky

Experian Americas Photos