Experian Americas Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014
Updated August 29, 2014
2.9

Craig Boundy

Pros
  • work life balance, some of my colleagues were nice, our division was an interesting business (in 8 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits but no loyalty, doesn't matter how hard you work or how smart you are (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews (in 4 reviews)

• Asked to use cumbersome CRM tool from Siebel as well as update several manual spreadsheets weekly for senior management (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people but senior leadership is bad and layoffs are constant.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager

I worked at Experian Americas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You are exposed to a variety of firms through client interactions and developing solutions to help them. Lots of great people at the company and I learned a lot from them. The project work was interesting and rewarding.

Cons

The culture is horrible- constantly facing layoffs and offshoring of jobs to other countries lacking the necessary skills. We had furlough days where HR forbid employees to work but everyone still worked those days without pay because they were afraid of losing their job. Hard to get promotions and raises unless you could "walk on water". Resources and funding for internal infrastructure were hard to get so technical systems were outdated.

Stop laying off great people and replacing them with sub-par workers without the skills. Spend money on technology to bring platforms up to date.
    Stock price is not the be all end all--- you need to do a lot more to retain top talent.

Good Company, Strong Leadership, High Demands.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people you work with
    Benefits
    Job complexity
    Variety in the work you are asked to perform
    Interesting compnay/product

Cons

Streamlined resources
    More focus on the stock holders/agressive results than employees
    Lack of work/life balance

We can be successful without running the employee population into the ground. There needs to be a plan to re-engage the excitement about working for Experian.

The pay could have been better

Current Employee - Financial Coordinator  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best part of working at Experian is the people. It's located not too far from where I live, which is also nice.

Cons

The pay isn't as much as I should have received, and I worked a lot of overtime, just to catch up with the increased workload.

Instead of employee reviews, in the form of questionnaires, one-on-one meetings with supervisors or managers probably would be more effective.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, not-so-great company: Experian Consumer Services

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian Americas full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there. A lot of people are very driven to do their jobs well, and they really care about the company. It's great to work with people like that.

Cons

- Pay is all over the place. Some people are paid way too much, others way too little.
    - Senior leadership has no clear vision/strategy. Projects will be greenlit with little to no research and end up getting scrapped after conversions tank.
    - Unable to retain talent. Attrition is extremely high, and all the best people leave behind mediocre talent that can barely to their jobs.
    - Bad work/life balance. Employees are pushed to work insane amounts of overtime to hit unrealistic deadlines set by oblivious upper management.
    - Senior leadership only cares about the present, not the future. Antiquated technology makes day to day maintenance a huge headache, but senior leadership is not willing to invest time and money to fix the problem because it will not result in immediate $$$.

Treat your employees better. Stop hiring cheap, mediocre talent. Pay the great employees enough so that they don't leave. Think about updating the tech used so that it will actually work in the far future.

This company is top heavy, with little leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary & bonuses if you can survive the layoffs and environment.

Cons

Horrible work environment, quarterly layoffs to achieve financial "goals". Red tape abounds, unhappy people all through the company - no wonder considering the environment. I'm only staying for the inevitable severance package.

Stop traveling all over the country with your "world tour" telling employees to keep costs down. Start by slashing you're own travel, cause I bet you aren't staying at motel6, eating McDonald's and taking cabs.

Stay away from this place

Former Employee - Software Development Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Experian Americas full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to retire, very competitive pay and great benefits.

Cons

Management hiding behind "processes" to kill productivity. Since they are essentially have a monopoly (yes I know there are two other bureaus), they easily get away with total lack of innovation. Obsolete tools, technology use and automation.

Wake up and realize if you don't forward and change eventually you'll be left behind and die off.

No Respect for Employees - Horrible workplace

Current Employee - Director  in  League City, TX
    Current Employee - Director in League City, TX

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

decent 401k, work from home

Cons

A lot of hostility within the Specialized Sales Channel. No respect for women who want to start families. Good old boy atmosphere. Experian thrives on creating a back stabbing culture. I gained weight due to pregnancy and have received hostile comments from managers. Unless you are great at sucking up you are living on borrowed time. I have worked for a competitor of Experian and wish I could go back there.

Stop the phony job satisfaction surveys. You manipulate the answers so what good does it do? Get rid of the useless Bank of America refugees that you call Executive Management. WE ARE NOT A BANK!

Thought it was improving, but it's reverting back to good ol boys club

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pros – - Great benefits (100% matching 401k, medical, dental, vision)
    - Nice offices
    - Heart of Experian (philanthropic arm); although it's really just for good company PR
    - Health Matters, incl health insurance discounts

Cons

- Leadership is good old boys club, as other reviewers have said
    - They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews
    - Internal opportunities aplenty, but things get politically challenging if you pursue something outside your dept, and the transition is lengthy and painful
    - Not enough budget or head count to stay ahead of the competition; goals increase, but budget stays status quo
    - Silo'd mentally of business units: they have separate P&L's which makes it difficult to to work across teams and makes us appear disjointed to our clients. Overall structure is very confusing to vendors and clients.
    - Some depts more concerned about perception of their people than quality of work
    - Many people don’t return calls or emails—some of whom are in upper management. How do these people still have jobs?
    - It's a global company with people based from their homes and various Experian offices nationwide. However, if you want to get promoted, you're suddenly required to be based in Costa Mesa, Ca. Great talent being passed over due to geography.
    - Promoting those who don’t deserve it (i.e., they have no degree), while overlooking the more qualified, hard-working staff, just because they aren’t brown nosers
    - Off-shoring of IT support to Chile and Costa Rica: slow to help you—you’re on the phone for at least an hour only to discover they can't resolve the problem; things sometimes get lost in translation due to language barriers; what a waste of my time just to save the company a few bucks

- Walk around to mingle with your staff, rather than only during quarterly All Hands meetings; I miss the days when the dept head actually 'cared'
    - Base promotions on true talent, loyalty, skills, experience and education rather than whether or not they look good, are in Costa Mesa, and kiss your behind
    - Don't burn out your employees

Experian offers career growth, rewards for performance, working side by side with top tier talent.

Current Employee - Talent Acquisition  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Talent Acquisition in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time for less than a year

Pros

Experian has a dynamic atmosphere filled with challenge, growth, technology, and innovation. You will work with people that will take you to the next level in your career and have fun in the process. The environment is professional and collaborative, focused on growth with many reward programs for strong performance. The resources to increase personal success are right at your fingertips!

Cons

Very complex, large organization. Takes time to learn the business and the people.

Embrace the hiring of up-and-comers and those with smaller company experience with potential to learn the complexities of a large organization.

Satisfied

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time

Pros

Offers challenges and provides tools to accomplish goals set.
    Home/Life Balance
    Growing Company, acquiring other companies

Cons

Leadership changes, which then changes direct reports goals

Worked for Experian Americas? Contribute to the Community!