Experian Americas

Updated December 11, 2014
Updated December 11, 2014
2.9

Craig Boundy

Pros
  • work life balance, some of my colleagues were nice, our division was an interesting business (in 8 reviews)

• Great colleagues, excellent pay and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • They say they support a work/life balance, but it's sometimes met with animosity, even if you're a great employee whose had great reviews (in 4 reviews)

• Senior management profiles and targets groups of people for termination (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Too Much

Former Employee - Customer Support in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, Great People, site location

Cons

More with Less did not work and when it did you were outsourced

People drive business, if it wasn't for the people, no business

Strong organization with talented people

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very talented group of employees that work very hard and are dedicated to the
    growth and overall reputation of the company. People truly care about eachother. Strong brand and company culture

Cons

Experian is a very complex organization and very matrixed which makes it difficult to work with certain business lines.

Focus more on the individual contributors and all level of employees that are Exempt and Non-Exempt.

Great people but senior leadership is bad and layoffs are constant.

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You are exposed to a variety of firms through client interactions and developing solutions to help them. Lots of great people at the company and I learned a lot from them. The project work was interesting and rewarding.

Cons

The culture is horrible- constantly facing layoffs and offshoring of jobs to other countries lacking the necessary skills. We had furlough days where HR forbid employees to work but everyone still worked those days without pay because they were afraid of losing their job. Hard to get promotions and raises unless you could "walk on water". Resources and funding for internal infrastructure were hard to get so technical systems were outdated.

Stop laying off great people and replacing them with sub-par workers without the skills. Spend money on technology to bring platforms up to date.
    Stock price is not the be all end all--- you need to do a lot more to retain top talent.

Amazingly poor leadership--but great colleagues

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fair pay--solid benefits. Some terrific people--and amazing data assets for marketing, solid analytic staff

Cons

Hard to imagine less effective senior leadership. Poor technologies meaning exceptionally long working hours to fill holes. Yearly reorganizations to no purpose. Finance runs the show--so off-shoring and lower quality client deliverables, lots of meaningless reports to fill out--and poor technology support-- a help desk that tries but to no avail. Frustrating place to work if you want to do a good job

Spin off the marketing services business--and stick to credit services.

Good Company, Strong Leadership, High Demands.

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with
    Benefits
    Job complexity
    Variety in the work you are asked to perform
    Interesting compnay/product

Cons

Streamlined resources
    More focus on the stock holders/agressive results than employees
    Lack of work/life balance

We can be successful without running the employee population into the ground. There needs to be a plan to re-engage the excitement about working for Experian.

The pay could have been better

Current Employee - Financial Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Coordinator in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Experian is the people. It's located not too far from where I live, which is also nice.

Cons

The pay isn't as much as I should have received, and I worked a lot of overtime, just to catch up with the increased workload.

Instead of employee reviews, in the form of questionnaires, one-on-one meetings with supervisors or managers probably would be more effective.

Great people, not-so-great company: Experian Consumer Services

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there. A lot of people are very driven to do their jobs well, and they really care about the company. It's great to work with people like that.

Cons

- Pay is all over the place. Some people are paid way too much, others way too little.
    - Senior leadership has no clear vision/strategy. Projects will be greenlit with little to no research and end up getting scrapped after conversions tank.
    - Unable to retain talent. Attrition is extremely high, and all the best people leave behind mediocre talent that can barely to their jobs.
    - Bad work/life balance. Employees are pushed to work insane amounts of overtime to hit unrealistic deadlines set by oblivious upper management.
    - Senior leadership only cares about the present, not the future. Antiquated technology makes day to day maintenance a huge headache, but senior leadership is not willing to invest time and money to fix the problem because it will not result in immediate $$$.

Treat your employees better. Stop hiring cheap, mediocre talent. Pay the great employees enough so that they don't leave. Think about updating the tech used so that it will actually work in the far future.

This company is top heavy, with little leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent salary & bonuses if you can survive the layoffs and environment.

Cons

Horrible work environment, quarterly layoffs to achieve financial "goals". Red tape abounds, unhappy people all through the company - no wonder considering the environment. I'm only staying for the inevitable severance package.

Stop traveling all over the country with your "world tour" telling employees to keep costs down. Start by slashing you're own travel, cause I bet you aren't staying at motel6, eating McDonald's and taking cabs.

Stay away from this place

Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Software Development Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Experian Americas full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good place to retire, very competitive pay and great benefits.

Cons

Management hiding behind "processes" to kill productivity. Since they are essentially have a monopoly (yes I know there are two other bureaus), they easily get away with total lack of innovation. Obsolete tools, technology use and automation.

Wake up and realize if you don't forward and change eventually you'll be left behind and die off.

No Respect for Employees - Horrible workplace

Current Employee - Director in League City, TX
    Current Employee - Director in League City, TX

I have been working at Experian Americas full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

decent 401k, work from home

Cons

A lot of hostility within the Specialized Sales Channel. No respect for women who want to start families. Good old boy atmosphere. Experian thrives on creating a back stabbing culture. I gained weight due to pregnancy and have received hostile comments from managers. Unless you are great at sucking up you are living on borrowed time. I have worked for a competitor of Experian and wish I could go back there.

Stop the phony job satisfaction surveys. You manipulate the answers so what good does it do? Get rid of the useless Bank of America refugees that you call Executive Management. WE ARE NOT A BANK!

Experian Americas Photos