Experian Data Quality US

Experian Data Quality US Reviews in Boston, MA

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Experian Data Quality US SVP & General Manager Thomas Schutz

Thomas Schutz

Pros
  • The work hard play hard mentality is extreme but fun(in 8 reviews)

• If you truly want to be a good salesperson this a great place to start your career(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance was empasized but not practiced(in 8 reviews)

• High expectations - this is not a company for people seeking a 35 hour work week(in 6 reviews)

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great people, benefits and opportunities for growth

Professional Services Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

Pros-Commitment to the committed. If you are willing to put in the time and energy here, you can expect a lot in return.
    -Career development training. They do an excellent job at providing training opportunities for management and staff.
    -The people. For the most part, it's a close knit-group of people that work hard and play hard together - and they do it well. Also, most people are genuinely good people, which is pretty hard to find these days.
    -Professional Services and Customer Account Managers are top of their game. They manage well and have an obvious desire to want to make QAS great for customers and employees. Employees can learn a lot from them.
    -The benefits. You'll be hard pressed to find 3-4 weeks vacation and low-cost HMO plan out there. Having a family, this was a huge bonus for me.
    -It's fun. Between monthly celebrations awarding and recognizing success stories, to quarterly team outings, volunteering, annual christmas party and impromptu drinks after a long day - it's a fun place to work (I was pregnant most of my QAS tenure and still enjoyed after work gatherings with the team).
    The only reason I left QAS was that I had a terrible commute and also decided to work part-time closer to home due to expecting my second child. Otherwise, I would not have left.

Cons-Strict start time. The 8:00 sharp start time was a struggle for me and others. While I can appreciate the need for everyone to arrive on time, I believed the strict start time was a bit much (particularly as it was expected for most to work past 5 and most commuted on the T - which isn't always dependable).
    -Product Training. Product-level explanations could be better (particularly for those without software/hardware experience - like me).

Advice to Senior ManagementBeef up the training program a bit. Try to ignore the tardiness of folks arriving between 8:00-8:10 (particularly for top performers).

Avoid, avoid, avoid. They'll tell you anything to get you in the door.

Services (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIf you drink the koolaid - you might be happy for 6 months, at a maximum.

ConsPoor compensation, fake promotions, horrendous management. Zero autonomy.

Young company, lots of parties, lots of drinking, lots of money, little experience

A Dude, Playing A Dude, Dressed As Another Dude (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsYou like a free drink? You like having a job out of college? You like the occasional company-wide email from an unlocked computer? You like a good email flame war between 25 year old children who make more money than they should with little or no regard for appropriate company behavior? Then this is the place for you!

ConsYou like respect? You like the sense that the hours you put in doing honest, hard work, will be rewarded? You like the feeling that the managers actually care for you, and trust that you will do a great job? You like the sense that they upper management listens and cultivates their employees and considers them assets? You like knowing that those who are in positions of leadership are there because of merit and not because they have either not quit or they are a personal friend of someone above them? Then this is NOT the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider rewarding hard working, smart, upwardly mobile people from the ranks who actually know what they are doing and understand the business...instead of the current practice of just promoting those bodies that haven't burned out yet. Promotion because of survival is not the basis of good leadership at a company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great growth opportunity, fast paced, well organized company

Technical Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsI love working here. Experian DQ is a results oriented business less concerned with micromanaging and more concerned with the bigger picture. At every point is the company trying to help you grow both within Experian as well as within your own career trajectory. Trainings are plentiful, the support is fantastic, and the growth internally is unparalleled.

ConsThe only con is that the company is still somewhat restructuring, which leads to some confusion currently.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be as transparent as possible with new business unit / division changes and stick to exhibiting the core company values.

First job out college, challenging but rewarding

Analyst (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSince starting here, I've really expanded my skill set. I've been able to carve out a place for myself where the business sees me as a resource (I hope). If you push yourself hard, you will really get a chance to grow and learn with the business.

EDQ offers excellent benefits, especially education and further training. They seek to get you doing something you like and are passionate about, which is good for personal growth. Managers are open and approachable, and the other employees are quite sociable.

They are becoming much more flexible, work from home and remote options have increased significantly.

ConsCompensation lags slightly behind, and recognition can be an issue at times. There are pockets of managers that are quite difficult to work with at times.

Good people, good starting point, HORRIFIC management.

Business Development Account Manager (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsIt is an extremely fast paced environment where there is potential to learn a lot. You are required to conform to their standards of potential promotion and training, regardless of your prior experience. Management tries to reach you with intimidation tactics, not ideal!

ConsABSOLOUTELY HORRIBLE PAY STRUCTURE. NEAR MINIMUM WAGE. BE WARNED! You are required to conform to their standards of potential promotion and training, regardless of your prior experience. Management tries to reach you with intimidation tactics, not ideal!

Advice to Senior ManagementEnough with the intimidation tactics. Management at a low level should not just be anyone.

great business and technology, horrible management

(Former Employee) Boston, MA

Prosfun, low responsibility and fast paced environment

Conslow pay, micromanagement, unprofessional practices, lack of respect for anything other than the $. check in, check out and in between just do what you're told during the strict office hours of 8 to 5, and you'll be fine and eligible for many drinks on the house.

if you're really curious about this company, check out the glassdoor reviews. senior management rushed to post positive reviews in 2013 to counter negative ratings. once those positive reviews were posted, the company was given some standing in glassdoor among the best 50 companies in boston to work for and then management used that standing to advertize that the company is great to work for.

Advice to Senior Managementstart appreciating human capital (other than yourselves). it's worth investing in good people.
    if your model is to hire inexperienced people, pay them little and train them in-house, then take it seriously.

set an example by removing senior management members that are not conducive to team and business growth. their career is not more important than the company atmosphere and environment. take a hard look at their metrics just as you do individual contributors. ask yourselves if they are the right people to train and mentor others.

Great place to start your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsOverall, QAS is a great place to begin your career. If you do not know 'what you want to be when you grow up,' this place gives you opportunities that many other companies do not.

Great training for new employees
    Opportunity to create a role that fits your long-term plans
    Ability to be involved in projects that you may not have the same opportunity as a young employee at another company
    Great benefits
    Growing company so there are a lot of changes happening that you can be involved in
    Direct management really cares about your personal development and wants to see you succeed
    The people - I thoroughly enjoy everyone that I work with. Teamwork here is amazing and everyone generally cares about helping each other.

ConsWhile there is large opportunity to make changes, those changes generally take a long time to happen.
    Do not seem to care about retaining employees for a long period of time. There is very much a stigma that this is a place to begin your career and that is it.
    Little flexibility for employees - very much an 8-5 place. If you arrive at 8:02, you're late. There is some flexibility for work from home, flex time, doctors appointments, etc. but everything needs to be booked in advance which doesn't seem very flexible.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to focus more on the current talent you have and convince them to stay. Too many valued employees are leaving and it doesn't seem to be a focus. Listen to what your employees have to say about their perception of what type of company QAS is and try and change the negative - survey results are only useful if you do something with it.

Experian QAS is a dynamic company with major opportunity for motivated employees.

Marketing Director (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsSome reviews mention that this is a place to "start your career" - for me, it's where I've had the opportunity to accelerate the career I knew I wanted.

Experian QAS is a company that has high expectations of employees and looks to hire bright, motivated individuals willing to put the work in to advance their career. At every turning point over the past 4 years, I've been rewarded for my hard work with the next opportunity, including more responsibility, more strategic projects and immense exposure to how a business is run.

The culture is something I really enjoy - the core values are real and important to the senior management team. People are friendly, and like having fun. You can be as involved as you want in this - for some people, QAS is their social circle; others only attend a couple of events a year. There are lots of ways to get involved at all levels - through committees, community service activities, or casual get togethers.

When I started 4 years ago, it was a pretty formal, rigid place to work. However, over the past 18 months, we've made major changes, like switching to casual dress code and creating more flexible hours and work from home arrangements. Personally, this makes me feel like the senior management team really listens to employees, and will make the necessary changes to respond to employee needs.

ConsThis can be an intense place to work - expectations are high, and we often try to do many things at once. For me, those aspects keep me engaged and challenged, but it can be overwhelming for people who prefer a slower pace.

Things change often - frequently without a lot of preparation and/or communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to articulate the strategic vision to get employees on board early on. And make sure to highlight their role in the current and future strategy and how their work impacts the overall results the company is looking to achieve.

Fantastic place to start and grow your career

Director of Client Retention (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros1. Unlimited opportunity if you are willing to put in the work - Other reviews have stated this but it can't be emphasized enough. The company demands a lot from employees in order to meet its growth objectives. The benefit to those who contribute and succeed is personal growth in the form of as much responsibility as you want/can handle.
    2. Ability to make a real impact - This includes both areas within an employee's immediate role and across the business. Whether it is coming up with a better way of doing things or being a member of one of the various employee committees (Social Responsibility, Pulse Employee feedback) all employees have the chance to make an impact.
    3. Culture - This company knows how to have fun - employees can take as much or as little advantage of the social aspects as they like.
    Overall - This is a rewarding place to work but it is not always comfortable - there is often change and uncertainty from being a growing company.

ConsDue to the fast pace the company frequently tries to do too many things at once – this can cloud the company direction and confuse employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut out more consistent communication from the top down where company vision/direction is concerned and be disciplined about sticking to a few key objectives.

Worked for Experian Data Quality US? Contribute to the Community!