Experian Data Quality US Reviews

• Boston, MA
3.1
Experian Data Quality US SVP & General Manager Thomas Schutz
Thomas Schutz

Great people, benefits and opportunities for growth

Former Employee - Professional Services Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Professional Services Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Experian Data Quality US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Commitment to the committed. If you are willing to put in the time and energy here, you can expect a lot in return.
    -Career development training. They do an excellent job at providing training opportunities for management and staff.
    -The people. For the most part, it's a close knit-group of people that work hard and play hard together - and they do it well. Also, most people are genuinely good people, which is pretty hard to find these days.
    -Professional Services and Customer Account Managers are top of their game. They manage well and have an obvious desire to want to make QAS great for customers and employees. Employees can learn a lot from them.
    -The benefits. You'll be hard pressed to find 3-4 weeks vacation and low-cost HMO plan out there. Having a family, this was a huge bonus for me.
    -It's fun. Between monthly celebrations awarding and recognizing success stories, to quarterly team outings, volunteering, annual christmas party and impromptu drinks after a long day - it's a fun place to work (I was pregnant most of my QAS tenure and still enjoyed after work gatherings with the team).
    The only reason I left QAS was that I had a terrible commute and also decided to work part-time closer to home due to expecting my second child. Otherwise, I would not have left.

Cons

-Strict start time. The 8:00 sharp start time was a struggle for me and others. While I can appreciate the need for everyone to arrive on time, I believed the strict start time was a bit much (particularly as it was expected for most to work past 5 and most commuted on the T - which isn't always dependable).
    -Product Training. Product-level explanations could be better (particularly for those without software/hardware experience - like me).

Beef up the training program a bit. Try to ignore the tardiness of folks arriving between 8:00-8:10 (particularly for top performers).

Strong work ethic across the board, but coupled with overbearing, micromanagement culture.

Former Employee - Business Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great work ethic across all departments.
    -Smart employees, especially on the services team
    -Experian name is trusted within the industry
    -Provides good foundation. Training program has been boosted up this past year.
    -Great Christmas and Company Day parties
    -Quick to recognize own weaknesses, and management puts action plans in place to fix it. But...
    -Management team is majority homegrown, showing proven potential for advancement within company.

Cons

-A majority of the action plans (said above) do not get followed through after announced. Lots of plans to make plans.
    -Extreme, extreme, extreme micromanagement culture. Get ready to explain your hour to hour to your direct manager. This is most prevalent on the sales team.
    -Major turnover because of the micromanagement culture. All of the best employees/managers leave because senior management disagrees with the micromanagement opinion.
    -Management team is majority homegrown, so all of their ideas come from within the bubble. There will be no new ideas based on successful experiences from other companies. Lots of recycled ideas from the senior managers. 80% are homegrown.

The whip cracking leads to a down-trodden team. Learn to truly lead by the carrot and not by the whip. Find (and cultivate) the leaders that are willing to do that. But this can only improve if you can recognize that there actually is a problem...

Avoid, avoid, avoid. They'll tell you anything to get you in the door.

Current Employee - Services in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Services in Boston, MA

I have been working at Experian Data Quality US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

If you drink the koolaid - you might be happy for 6 months, at a maximum.

Cons

Poor compensation, fake promotions, horrendous management. Zero autonomy.

Young company, lots of parties, lots of drinking, lots of money, little experience

Former Employee - A Dude, Playing A Dude, Dressed As Another Dude in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - A Dude, Playing A Dude, Dressed As Another Dude in Boston, MA

I worked at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You like a free drink? You like having a job out of college? You like the occasional company-wide email from an unlocked computer? You like a good email flame war between 25 year old children who make more money than they should with little or no regard for appropriate company behavior? Then this is the place for you!

Cons

You like respect? You like the sense that the hours you put in doing honest, hard work, will be rewarded? You like the feeling that the managers actually care for you, and trust that you will do a great job? You like the sense that they upper management listens and cultivates their employees and considers them assets? You like knowing that those who are in positions of leadership are there because of merit and not because they have either not quit or they are a personal friend of someone above them? Then this is NOT the place for you.

Consider rewarding hard working, smart, upwardly mobile people from the ranks who actually know what they are doing and understand the business...instead of the current practice of just promoting those bodies that haven't burned out yet. Promotion because of survival is not the basis of good leadership at a company.

6. A great growth opportunity, fast paced, well organized company

Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Technical Sales Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love working here. Experian DQ is a results oriented business less concerned with micromanaging and more concerned with the bigger picture. At every point is the company trying to help you grow both within Experian as well as within your own career trajectory. Trainings are plentiful, the support is fantastic, and the growth internally is unparalleled.

Cons

The only con is that the company is still somewhat restructuring, which leads to some confusion currently.

Continue to be as transparent as possible with new business unit / division changes and stick to exhibiting the core company values.

7. First job out college, challenging but rewarding

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Since starting here, I've really expanded my skill set. I've been able to carve out a place for myself where the business sees me as a resource (I hope). If you push yourself hard, you will really get a chance to grow and learn with the business.

EDQ offers excellent benefits, especially education and further training. They seek to get you doing something you like and are passionate about, which is good for personal growth. Managers are open and approachable, and the other employees are quite sociable.

They are becoming much more flexible, work from home and remote options have increased significantly.

Cons

Compensation lags slightly behind, and recognition can be an issue at times. There are pockets of managers that are quite difficult to work with at times.

Good people, good starting point, HORRIFIC management.

Former Employee - Business Development Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Development Account Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Experian Data Quality US full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It is an extremely fast paced environment where there is potential to learn a lot. You are required to conform to their standards of potential promotion and training, regardless of your prior experience. Management tries to reach you with intimidation tactics, not ideal!

Cons

ABSOLOUTELY HORRIBLE PAY STRUCTURE. NEAR MINIMUM WAGE. BE WARNED! You are required to conform to their standards of potential promotion and training, regardless of your prior experience. Management tries to reach you with intimidation tactics, not ideal!

Enough with the intimidation tactics. Management at a low level should not just be anyone.

great business and technology, horrible management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than a year)

Pros

fun, low responsibility and fast paced environment

Cons

low pay, micromanagement, unprofessional practices, lack of respect for anything other than the $. check in, check out and in between just do what you're told during the strict office hours of 8 to 5, and you'll be fine and eligible for many drinks on the house.

if you're really curious about this company, check out the glassdoor reviews. senior management rushed to post positive reviews in 2013 to counter negative ratings. once those positive reviews were posted, the company was given some standing in glassdoor among the best 50 companies in boston to work for and then management used that standing to advertize that the company is great to work for.

start appreciating human capital (other than yourselves). it's worth investing in good people.
    if your model is to hire inexperienced people, pay them little and train them in-house, then take it seriously.

set an example by removing senior management members that are not conducive to team and business growth. their career is not more important than the company atmosphere and environment. take a hard look at their metrics just as you do individual contributors. ask yourselves if they are the right people to train and mentor others.

10. Experian QAS is a dynamic company with major opportunity for motivated employees.

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some reviews mention that this is a place to "start your career" - for me, it's where I've had the opportunity to accelerate the career I knew I wanted.

Experian QAS is a company that has high expectations of employees and looks to hire bright, motivated individuals willing to put the work in to advance their career. At every turning point over the past 4 years, I've been rewarded for my hard work with the next opportunity, including more responsibility, more strategic projects and immense exposure to how a business is run.

The culture is something I really enjoy - the core values are real and important to the senior management team. People are friendly, and like having fun. You can be as involved as you want in this - for some people, QAS is their social circle; others only attend a couple of events a year. There are lots of ways to get involved at all levels - through committees, community service activities, or casual get togethers.

When I started 4 years ago, it was a pretty formal, rigid place to work. However, over the past 18 months, we've made major changes, like switching to casual dress code and creating more flexible hours and work from home arrangements. Personally, this makes me feel like the senior management team really listens to employees, and will make the necessary changes to respond to employee needs.

Cons

This can be an intense place to work - expectations are high, and we often try to do many things at once. For me, those aspects keep me engaged and challenged, but it can be overwhelming for people who prefer a slower pace.

Things change often - frequently without a lot of preparation and/or communication.

Take the time to articulate the strategic vision to get employees on board early on. And make sure to highlight their role in the current and future strategy and how their work impacts the overall results the company is looking to achieve.

11. Great place to start your career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Experian Data Quality US full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Overall, QAS is a great place to begin your career. If you do not know 'what you want to be when you grow up,' this place gives you opportunities that many other companies do not.

Great training for new employees
    Opportunity to create a role that fits your long-term plans
    Ability to be involved in projects that you may not have the same opportunity as a young employee at another company
    Great benefits
    Growing company so there are a lot of changes happening that you can be involved in
    Direct management really cares about your personal development and wants to see you succeed
    The people - I thoroughly enjoy everyone that I work with. Teamwork here is amazing and everyone generally cares about helping each other.

Cons

While there is large opportunity to make changes, those changes generally take a long time to happen.
    Do not seem to care about retaining employees for a long period of time. There is very much a stigma that this is a place to begin your career and that is it.
    Little flexibility for employees - very much an 8-5 place. If you arrive at 8:02, you're late. There is some flexibility for work from home, flex time, doctors appointments, etc. but everything needs to be booked in advance which doesn't seem very flexible.

Try to focus more on the current talent you have and convince them to stay. Too many valued employees are leaving and it doesn't seem to be a focus. Listen to what your employees have to say about their perception of what type of company QAS is and try and change the negative - survey results are only useful if you do something with it.

Experian Data Quality US Photos