Experian Marketing Services

Updated October 14, 2014
2.7

Experian Marketing Services Group President Michael Devico
Michael Devico

Pros
  • The company supports a great work-life balance (in 6 reviews)

• Free bagels and subsidized vending machines (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • All of the client services jobs were outsourced to Costa Rica (in 11 reviews)

• Low work life balance as a result of instability and struggling to compete in the marketplace (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

It's okay place to work

Former Employee - Senior SQA in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior SQA in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian Marketing Services as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

worked as a contractor. Dev team is great in Dataware house. working with latest technologies in DW env

Cons

There was only one Full time employee in Reporting working as QA Engineer. She had no vision and experience in working in a Dataware house technology. Made life difficult. I had to complaint to manager about her. About company .. has lot of money ... but no clear technological plan for next 5 years. Never presented any road map

Failing Company: Layoffs, outsourcing to Costa Rica, bad technology, bad management, no upward mobility.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Oakland, CA

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None- at one point it bad technology, out of touch management, constantly changing goals. was the people but almost everyone has left to go to competitors.

Cons

Bad technology (the application is consistently breaking or down), out of touch management, constantly changing goals.

What once started at a great company has been completely changed. Experian has made many mistakes with the handling of Cheetahmail which has led to mass lay-offs, bad technology decisions and ultimately the loss of the company culture. The greatest asset of Cheetahmail has always been it's client service team. Unfortunately, based on some bad purchases and failing technology, management has decided to cut this and laid off a large portion of the client services team and creative team to be outsourced to Costa Rica. Furthermore, those that weren't laid off have been leaving since the outlook of the company is bad.

There isn't enough support for the technology and what was once a good platform has been filled with issues from long downtime to constant errors. The response time for these issues is lacking which is causing many of the larger clients to be frustrated and leave. Which ultimately led to lay-offs for many employees.

There aren't enough training programs in place for managers to manage their personnel properly. The upper management is so far removed from the day to day aspect that the focus is on pinching pennies rather than supporting their employees. The main aspect CM has for it was it's client service support which is often what propels it against competition. With their decision to cut it's US resources down and to only give top tier clients the same level of service, will affect them in the long run.

As employees, there is currently no job security unless you're an employee outside of the US. The pay is considerably less in comparison to the competition and the raises are on average 3% every year. Promotions that were promised haven't been fulfilled. There's no room for growth. In the past, I would recommend this for new graduates, however now I would recommend looking elsewhere. With mass-layoffs, technology issues and outsourcing of jobs, the outlook isn't good. There has been a mass exodus of employees and management doesn't seem to notice or care. They even tried offering back people that they laid off their jobs- most people said no.

Experian has taken Cheetahmail and turned it into a company without any culture and the only focus on low CPM and retaining clients. Without a strong client services team, this will fail. If you're looking for a job- look elsewhere- Responsys, Exact Target and YesMail are all MUCH better options. Better platforms & better customer service.

Be more in touch with your employees. Don't make promises that you can't fulfill (promotions & bonuses).

Not a good place to work at

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time

Pros

flexible hours, nice team members

Cons

Stay away from this company. They lay off people constantly. When the business goals are not met, which is all the time, they let people go to cut expense quickly so it will look better on the balance sheet. Not the right way to improve performance.

Change is the only constant

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

EMS is part of Experian which is a really great company to work for. I am proud to have Experian on my resume. Experian is the kind of company where people have invested their entire careers. By that I mean it's not uncommon to meet people with 25-35 years.

Cons

Right now we're going through a period of transition in EMS. This too shall end. Experian, and by extension EMS, is large & matrixed company with complex structure. It's not for the faint of heart. But if you're comfortable navigating corporate culture and politics then it's not an issue.

More top down communication would help with morale in the individual offices.

Terrible place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- free bagels on Wednesday

Cons

- NO work-life balance, work till 8-9pm regularly and work on weekend common
    - NO job security, people laid off after 1-2 months of working here
    - TOO many bugs in technology, majority of clients leaving for competitors
    - FORCED to lie to clients to hide what really happens behind the scene

Too many changes with management

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time

Pros

Nice people, laid back environment

Cons

not much room for growth, too many management changes, and pay is not competitive for type of work performed

Great people, good management and plenty of opportunities

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I've worked at this company for 15 years and see no reason to look elsewhere. Hard work and loyalty is valued and reward. It's a strong company filled with great people who really care about what they do. Senior management is very accessible. The company supports a great work-life balance.

Cons

The marketing services industry is changing rapidly and at times the company seems to struggle to keep up. At the same time, there is not always sufficient time given to allow key changes to take effect. There seems to be some difficulty in developing and maintaining an effective long-term vision for the company.

Keep communication lines open

Late nights, Work on weekends, and more...

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Free bagels on Wednesday
    Able to work from home

Cons

Next round of layoffs coming very soon, layoffs not uncommon even for people who started only 2 months ago
    You are asked to bring laptops home every night and on weekends to be on call to work
    Frequent firedrills as application or servers break weekly

Please do not ask us to write optimistic reviews on Glassdoor if we do not believe in the future here

Talented employees, great comp & benefits, struggles with long-term vision

I have been working at Experian Marketing Services

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for professional and personal growth. Great compensation and benefits packages. Management clearly recognizes importance of work/life balance for employees, so ideal environment for individuals seeking stability and decent work schedule (for the most part).

Cons

Competitive comp and relatively stable job security begets a long-tenured staff and seasoned management (people stick around for great jobs), but unfortunately it can also foster complacency and risk averse leadership.

The organization still has a great set of products and services, but its position in the marketplace will be tested over the next five years. Continue to invest and innovate or be prepared to cede market share to more nimbler competitors.

Strict work hours and a massive outsourcing move makes for a low morale workplace

Former Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Client Solutions Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at Experian Marketing Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was reasonable for the market, especially with the bonus. The managers are adept at their jobs, and did a good job in training me in the proprietary software and processes.

Cons

The company is strict in starting the work day at 9am and staying till 6pm EXACTLY. I had to ask my manager to leave even 15 minutes early. Also, the upper management decided to fire the majority of the Client Services team (Account Managers) and outsource that work to Costa Rica to cut costs. Due to these issues and others, the morale in the office is very low. Both my manager and other teammate resigned while I was working there.

I do not recommend working here. Find somewhere with a healthier office culture and more flexible management.

Stop outsourcing, and relax on the office hours and working from home flexibility.

Experian Marketing Services Photos