Experian

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • in some departments there is better work/life balance in others not so much (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and vacation allotments (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 23 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great, very rewarding super internship

Current Employee - Client Engagement in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Client Engagement in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice group of people. Very motivated and wants to do well. Great location in midtown. If you work hard it can be very easy to move up.

Cons

Work can get very repetitive. It is all about using the internal tool, which seems to have many setbacks. Should be revamped.

Wierd vibe and predatory work environment

Current Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, company car to all customer-facing sellers

Cons

Predatory management practices. When I joined it was made clear to me that I was supposed to "clean house" There were good employees in place and I was not about to just fire them. When I decided to keep these employees my fate was sealed and I got the sack

Try developing new managers and employees rather than just take them in and fire them after 9 months. Provide an opportunity for improvement and mentorship. Work life balance was a joke here

Outsourced

Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Data Management Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Remote work is possible, fair compensation, good people

Cons

Layoffs and work outsourced, not a good work life balance

Like a bad Saturday night live skit

Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, work from home, Some people who really care, get in with the right crowd and you can climb the ladder quickly, great place to learn various skill and gain global experience.

Cons

1st and foremost, company makes most major decisions based on what they think it will do to the stock, unless it makes the stock price go up, we aren't doing it. Some decisions aren't logical. Constantly cutting headcount to hit EBIT targets, too much decision by committee, the Matrix is not working, lots of finger pointing at the senior leadership level, total old boys club unless you are in your 30's and wear short skirts and shirts that show off you cleavage...well then you get noticed

Lots of off-shoring of technical roles, minimal investment in products, they expect to make 40% margins but only invest 2-3% total revenue back into product, hence the decisions based on stock impact.

If you progress on the ladder quickly don't expect your compensation to go up equally you will fall behind and they will make terrible excuses about why they can't catch you up

They tollerate bad behavior from senior leaders, they keep poor performers around way too long, becomes detrimental to the business. Especially leaders who are poor performers.

CEO never makes an attempt to connect with the people.

Take a hit on the stock price and invest in the company, if you don't you won't have much in a few years. Sell Marketing Services already, its a dog.

Experian CheetahMail client services, great management experience and strategic role

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great variety of clients, ability to have freedom to manage team, decent compensation, good travel benefits

Cons

Too much fire fighting sometimes, management makes rush decisions occasionally

A big company with that big company feel

Current Employee - Software Architect in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software Architect in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of growth and a willingess to invest in that growth. Opportunities to move around between internal business units, including transfers overseas. Decent investment in training

Cons

It's a big company more focused on acquisitions than organic growth. That can make life unpleasant if you find yourself in a slowing vertical

You have to build instead of buy sometimes. More invest in organic growth would round out the portfolio

Wierd Working Environment

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Experian full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customer facing sellers get leased cars

Cons

Layoffs are a common management tool

Man or (wo)man up! If you have an employee that needs feedback - give it to them and allow them the time to restore confidence rather than lay them off! I never saw such disfunctional behavior from senior executives in my life!

Big company with big potential... but lacks focus and follow-through

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at Experian

Pros

Lots of opportunities to move about and work within various business units. Diverse culture with many locations across the United States and a growing network of locations abroad.

Cons

Constant change and restructuring, especially for newly acquired businesses. Heavy focus on continuous acquisition of new businesses without making sure that those acquired have been effectively integrated.

Improve communication through ranks and amongst business units. Be more receptive to internal issues. More focused on becoming a leading edge company.

Experian Photos