Experian Reviews

Updated September 20, 2014
Updated September 20, 2014
2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent time off, plenty of telework opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Experian

Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor  in  Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Call Center Supervisor in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Their facilities are awesome in Texas! Probably the best work environment to be in. I think at one point it was voted the best office in DFW. You're asked to work overtime a lot, but if you're not on salary who cares. The company places a lot of value in providing the best to its customers.

Cons

Personal growth is pretty amazing at times, but it's easy to get stuck in one place after the first promotion. Training is pretty extensive, but lacks in a lot of areas.

Reward your employees better. You told us how much we made one year and decided to cut our bonuses...

Good employer

Former Employee - Data Management Manager
    Former Employee - Data Management Manager

I worked at Experian full-time

Pros

Great co-workers willing to share knowledge. This company treats employees like people. Organized charitable activities performed in local community.

Cons

Little room for professional growth. No work-life balance. Sometimes too focused on the here and now.

Yay

I have been working at Experian

Pros

Benefits are very very good

Cons

Don t know .. nothing different from any where else I suppose

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Would be 5 stars if not for the fact that each year the company has layoffs, as often as quarterly.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The main office at 475 Anton is great with schedule flexibility and supports the work/family balance. 9 out of 10 managers are supportive and available when you need them. Good benefits and vacation allotments. Clean, newer office and equipment. Overall pleasant workforce with a 'let's help each other' vibe. Backstabbing and self-promotion at the expense of coworkers is NOT the norm.
    Experian is ethical in its purported intent and business goals and actively promotes community involvement and supports local and national charities.

Cons

Workforce is top heavy with management, especially on the director and VP level. The company talks about not having silos (i.e. groups that have information that isn't known/shared freely with other groups) yet silos persist and cross group/department communication is poor. Customer focus initiatives are rolled out with fanfare, much to the appreciation of clients, only to fade away in a year or two due to changes in upper management and/or a lack of accountability from regulators.
    And of course, mass layoffs are routine. I worked there for almost 15 years, and for the first few years, the layoffs happened perhaps every three years, including the year I started. The last six years have incurred layoffs every year, with the rate increasing to quarterly this year. Perhaps this is due to the change in upper management to those with a background in finance: the bottom line for the next quarter is everything (shareholders must see an immediate profit!), and long-term planning is moot? I guess time will tell if this strategy works or if the talent pool of experienced workers becomes so drained that data quality becomes severely compromised.

See Cons, above.

Not flexible and to slow to adjust to changes in the industry

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

in some departments there is better work/life balance in others not so much.

Cons

Do not count on the bonus if taking a new position. Management is asking newcomers for input however always turn it down. Company does not invest money in the new software and uses mostly freeware or old outdated versions that not compatible with new versions that is currently on the market.

Invest in the new updated software, allocate budget for technical training, be more open to the suggestions that new hires bring with their experience from other companies - it will help you to keep the company on the decent level.

Great Company

Former Employee - Marketing Communications  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Marketing Communications in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

People, pay, autonomy, work/life balance

Cons

High Pressure, lots of politics

Trust your employees

Ok company

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay's well, depending on business unit good office culture, random perks and discounts.

Cons

You can get lost in the shuffle.

Reduce waste, a lot of redundancy.

Interesting company that is moving from being a collection of small operations to a more connected global organisation

Current Employee - Commercial
    Current Employee - Commercial

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Wide variety of work, good opportunities for travel. Generally employ intelligent staff. Compensation is lower side of average, time off average, work life balance mixed

Cons

Experian still hasn't quite managed to start like acting like a grown up global company. Regional and local profit targets get in the way of effectively dealing with growth and investment sometimes.

Keep going. Still much to do. And just because consultants cost more doesn't mean they must be right! Trust and stretch your own staff.

Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards.

I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss.

Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security.

Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC.

It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate.

In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone.

I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what??????

Project Management

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager  in  Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great co workers, everyone trying to do their best to complete projects on time. Good pay.

Cons

Burn out factory. Billion dollar company runs itself like a start up. Constant high pressure and extremely fast paced environment, every IT resources constantly overbooked on numerous projects, need for bargaining / horse trading on shared resources to get projects completed on time.

Stress factory, employee burn out inevitable. Stop treating people like their replaceable no matter what and you might not see such a high turn over rate. Too many weekly 'emergency' issue fire drills, too many resources being poached off projects for emergency issues to successfully complete ongoing projects adequately.

Worked for Experian? Contribute to the Community!