Experian Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
324 reviews filtered by
2.8
Brian Cassin

Pros
  • in some departments there is better work/life balance in others not so much (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and vacation allotments (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 23 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 9 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Project Manager in Franklin, TN
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Franklin, TN

I have been working at Experian

Pros

Laid back work environment, self motivation is required, but rewarded with lots of autonomy.

Cons

Sometimes that autonomy becomes difficult to manage when there are issues.

2. Lots of potential, but executive changes over past couple of years have created a highly political environment

Current Employee - Middle Manager in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Middle Manager in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good data assets and an oligopolistic business model at its core

Cons

Highly political environment. Pick your champions carefully and watch your back

Don't tolerate overt political activities and ensure everyone keeps the long term interests of Experian top of mind

awesome coworkers but constant layoffs

Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Account Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian

Pros

great coworkers, fabulous clients to work with

Cons

Constant layoffs, not a lot of job security

please be clear about the state of the company

The only thing that never changes is that everything is always changing

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Top-notch employees - you really grow from being surrounded by so many talented and intelligent people

Cons

No. Security. At. All. They frequently try to "cut their way to growth."

Experian

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian

Pros

Great people, great products and collaborative work environment, great potential.

Cons

Current executive management team. Political environment is toxic. Short sided strategy to drive cost out of the business.

Was a great company until recent executive management changes. Need to make changes at the top of the house before it is too late.

7. Senior management ignores bad behavior

Current Employee - Business Development in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Busy, lots of work to do, management lets employees do their job without micromanagement, great pay and bonus program. Great work/life balance. Diverse, stable company.

Cons

Management doesn't correct bad behavior because they are afraid of lawsuits. If you complain to HR, they don't do anything about it other than talk to the person and allow the behavior to continue. Ive seen this happen to several people. I saw someone throw something at a coworker in a meeting and no one reported it. They also claim that they promote from within, but they put people in a box and won't let them grow and frowns on people moving to other departments. They tend to hire from the outside instead of an internal person.

Realize that people are afraid to speak up and tell you what is really going on and you need to do a better job of weeding out negative people. Don't avoid doing the right thing for fear of being sued. People take advantage and don't really do their jobs and spend their efforts on politics. People are being targeted by their coworkers, I have seen many people crying over how they are being treated.

8. One of the top companies I've worked for

Former Contractor - Front End Web Developer in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Contractor - Front End Web Developer in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Role / Team
    - Even though I was a contractor I always felt like a part of the team
    - I had the option to be included in all discussions, plannings, and even when interviewing other candidates
    - All teammates were very talented and skilled in their role
    - On the front end of the application we worked with all the newest technologies
    - Workflow was standard Agile Scrum with 2 week sprints. The Scrum Master did a great job flushing out the story requirements and kept us on track.
    - This company cares about high quality output and allocates the time to uphold a high test coverage

Culture
    - Open desk environment
    - Sat in an offsite co-working space in one big suite
    - Comfortable dress code (t-shirt and jeans)
    - Everyday the team had lunch together
    - Anytime we stayed late they provided us with high quality food
    - Very respectable towards different religions

Management
    - Rank is checked at the door. They do not carry themselves by title but by role.
    - Gave everyone the freedom and empowerment to complete their tasks
    - Wanted us to be there for the long haul and emphasized to bite off only what you could chew and to not burn out
    - Always available, I never had the sense they were too busy to answer any of my questions

Cons

- No standing desks
    - No free lunch everyday
    - Sometimes the office would get crowded with vendors and other presentations
    - Back end team at the time was under staffed (poor guys)

Keep up the great work and allow that culture to flourish.

Good benefits, but highly political environment. No relationship between commitment and recognition.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Fully global organization. Industry leader with good name recognition. Great opportunities for growth for those to whom opportunity is granted.

Cons

A very political environment. If you believe in going the extra mile for the team, be prepared to find yourself corralled and undermined into a path of low visibility with your work dedicated to propping up mediocre employees who gained their position through personal favor.

Stop overlooking the obvious impacts of VP and Director level management tightly filtering interaction with you. You will find your forecasts will become more reliable. You will also discover how much incompetence is being covered up and how much competence is being worked right out the door.

EVP - Sales and strategy leader

Former Employee - EVP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - EVP in New York, NY

I worked at Experian

Pros

Give me time....I'm sure I'll come up with something....weather in Costa Mesa? That's about it.

Cons

Leaders of the company - or rather lack thereof - and loss of recent good leaders.

Sell the company. Fire the CIS leadership (who just came off a used car lot and top clients HATE).

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Experian full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are good and stable employment even though recent competition is a slight threat.

Cons

- Highly political environment between Engineering and Web Development. Risky but potentially lucrative development projects handed off to web development. If the projects are seen as a success, Engineering will bury web dev and move forward on those projects and take all of the credit. This happened on several major company changing initiatives.
    - Promotions based on cultural background and favoritism. After working on several game changing projects, working nights and weekends, winning several rewards and working at the company for over 6 years, never promoted once while others who did maintenance work were promoted to expert and consultant level.

Stop burying good workers for your own political and company gain. I have seen too many good dedicated employees leave because of this.

Get to the root of the technology issues instead of trying new technologies in hopes this may help speed the process up and boost profitability

Experian Photos