Experian Reviews

Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women

Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards. I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss. Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security. Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC. It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate. In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone. I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

Advice to Management

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what??????

Low Budget Employer

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No weekends Vacation Sick Time

Cons

No recognition no matter how hard you try. Lazy employees get paid the same or more as hard working employees, who never call in sick. Management recognizes employees whom they like not employees that get the job done. Less qualified people promoted to positions, while qualified applicants are told they need more experience.

Advice to Management

Stop playing games. no one cares about Kentucky Derby or Dance off. Pay a decent wage based on experience. Stop holding qualified hardworking employees back because you don't like them.

A wrong turn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are other divisions to work for that are likely better managed than the Costa Mesa office.

Cons

The most political work environment I've ever worked in. Constant change, lack of focus and no sign of teamwork.

Advice to Management

Hire capable Sr. Managers that are real leaders. Pay attention to the customer and build products that cater to their needs.

Account team

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

MOST of the people are good. Get way more money coming from other companies than the poor souls who suck it up and stay do.

Cons

Associate directors don't do anything! Huge layoffs, keeping the less paid people all of which who got crap raises which didn't equal what experienced employees (who were laid off) made, and have absolutely no skills or common sense. Bad move.

Advice to Management

Cut your own salaries, trim your own fat. You clearly don't know what your doing, let's outsource our positions to another country who fully can't speak English!!!

terrible company

Former Employee - Dispute Agent in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Dispute Agent in Allen, TX

I worked at Experian full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

nothing,training is bad , no support, bad supervisor

Cons

terrible schedule terrible environment, 30 minute lunches, etc

Advice to Management

pay your employees

The worst job I ever had

Former Employee - Consumer Associate II in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Consumer Associate II in Allen, TX

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are none. It is a terrible place to work

Cons

inept Team Managers. Pay is terrible. They will hire anyone due to the revolving door, no one stays very long.

Advice to Management

Pay a decent wage, you will get better quality staff. Consider advancing Manager's that actually have had some of management training.

8. Very uncomfortable

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice breaks all the time.

Cons

Nosey coworkers always have a lot of drama

Advice to Management

New hiring managers

Pressure Cooker

Current Employee - Channel Sales Director in Allen, TX
    Current Employee - Channel Sales Director in Allen, TX

I have been working at Experian full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent Benefits Sales people work from their home offices

Cons

Encourage back stabbing culture to get ahead Highly political Regular purging of employees Poor Executive Management - most came from the banking industry and have kept their failed policies

Advice to Management

Enough of the employee surveys that are always manipulated to look like everyone is so happy to work for Experian. Open your eyes and see what kind of environment you have created. There are no team players. People are only looking out for #1. Create an honest culture without cronyism and watch the company flourish.

10. All that matters is sales - nothing else seems in focus,

Former Employee - Executive
    Former Employee - Executive

I worked at Experian full-time (More than a year)

Pros

HQ in CA. Decent folks from old TRW business.

Cons

Horrible executive management. More interested in golf clubs than the business. Poorly integrated acquisition strategy for new businesses. Classes USA?!?!?!

Advice to Management

Fire the pompous Group Presidents who are focused on sales conferences and their golf scores. Innovation focus is a joke. Too many execs with limited intellectual horsepower.Running a business like this is not all about sales and quotas and pipelines.

Sad

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Experian as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid Healthcare Better than working with the security or facility department

Cons

Prepare for long hours Taking time off is frowned upon Email box will be full everyday with new request to fix or solve problems with solutions that will be ignored Being laid off is common. In fact one building they own is empty and the one we work in is less than half full.

Advice to Management

Smell yourselves every once and a while, it isnt roses I smell.

RSS Feed </> Embed