Experian Reviews in Schaumburg, IL

Updated August 28, 2014
Updated August 28, 2014
2.9

Brian Cassin

Pros
  • work life balance is typically OK but reflected in poor pay and benefits (in 18 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent time off, plenty of telework opportunities (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management does not take interest in mentoring subordinates (in 19 reviews)

• Not enough work-life balance or work from home opportunities (they frown on it, it seems) (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall good, but in the end, laid off

Current Employee - Senior Client Services Specialist  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Client Services Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great support & teamwork from fellow co-workers. Great products available for clients.

Cons

Mismanaged. Head of division was never around for very long so different management styles. Constantly changing culture of a lot of management, then trim the management, then back to adding a management. Yearly layoffs.

Stay Away From Experian NSC - Especially Women

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are definitely some positives. The team, as a whole, is full of outstanding people and are in many cases very good at what they do. The support teams, like sales support and membership, are some of the best people I have ever worked with. I have a lot of respect and admiration for them. Experian as a whole is a very good company. But this does not, and I mean DOES NOT apply to the NSC.

Cons

I do not know a single person in the Experian NSC who is happy working there. Not one. NSC Management refuses to be clear about rules and standards, and in my opinion it is because it allows them to twist, bend, or make up the rules as needed to support decisions that actual data would not support, or to single out individuals when they would have to include others if they went by data and clear standards.

I quit recently, but have been told by NSC team members I have a good relationship with that NSC management has either stated or strongly implied in meetings that I was fired. If true, it means that the people you will work for if you join the NSC team are liars, that they gossip like schoolgirls about private, confidential personnel and disciplinary matters with people who have no reason to know. You know how a lot of offices have the person that has nothing better to do than spread rumors? Now imagine that person is your boss.

Not long before I left, one employee got up from his desk in a rage over something he thought another employee did, but which I thought would be perfectly legitimate if she had done it. Employee A, the enraged one, who is large and male, walked over to the cube of employee B, who is smaller and female, and yelled loudly, with f-bombs here, there, and everywhere. With A’s presence between her and the exit from her cube and A’s posture being very aggressive, B had little choice but to endure this. She must have been scared out of her mind and felt very threatened. Surely A would be fired for this, right? Nope, at least not before I left about a week later, and as far as I know he got a slap on the wrist before being sent back to work 20 feet away from the target of his outburst. I don’t know if a warning was issued, because, to my knowledge his case was not discussed publicly. It would be very ironic if management said it could not discuss personnel issues publicly, because all signs suggest they are perfectly comfortable with it. My colleagues expressed to me their belief that A, due to his sales numbers being good, would not be in any danger of being fired. That is speculation, but the near-assault as I described it happened and one team member must have been deeply shaken and intimidated and the other suffered no real consequences I am aware of. If that is because of his sales, somebody could conclude that, in the Experian NSC, if your numbers are good you can harass and abuse others. As I said, I don’t know why it was handled the way it appears to have been handled, but I would not want any female relatives or friends of mine to work in a place where one employee could treat another like that and not be immediately escorted off the property by security.

Now, consider the comfort level NSC management has and the amount of tolerance they have for employees resolving conflicts, real and imagined, among themselves even if it might increase the risk of office rage like the 100% true story above. To this, add crazy systems like inbound calls ringing on everyone's phone at the same time, so individual performance is not necessarily based on superior sales skills, but could be mostly due to someone's ability to keep their finger on a button on their phone. If you work to feed your kids or keep a roof over your head, this is not a small thing. It is deadly serious. If you think your ability to take care of the people you love is being messed with by luck, circumstance, cheating, or other things you cannot control, you may feel a lot of stress and frustration, and if you don't, the person next to you might. This system is what has passed for good judgment at least twice, with two different groups. It obliterates the team atmosphere and gives people a reason to look at their fellow team members as threats. Especially if they have the severe anger-management issues like the person in the story above, who you will be working with if you join the NSC.

It is commonly believed that if you do break through and have a good year, and exceed your quota, NSC management can and sometimes do raise your quota so they need not pay you. It is also commonly believed that NSC management has reneged on a sales award at least one time. These are rumors, but if management enjoys spreading rumors I might as well let you know what team members have said, since I consider it to be more reliable than what management says. Personally, I believe they are accurate.

In summary, the way I see it, if you join the Experian NSC, you will work for people who refuse to be clear about standards and rules. You'll work with a team that is almost entirely unhappy. You may be subject to harassment, abuse, and intimidation, or possibly even violence, by someone already known by NSC management to have engaged in threatening behavior against a fellow NSC associate. You may sit next to this person, but only if you work in the Experian NSC. You can look forward to having to argue for your interpretation of the rules because others interpret them in away that is bad for you, and NSC management is unable or unwilling to make a clear set of rules that apply equally to everyone.

I left because I had a disagreement with Experian over what I considered to be unethical practices by the NSC management team that pressured me and others to choose between violating the law, violating Experian policy, or alienating management. Any of those could have put my job in jeopardy. I believe my relationship changed due to my raising the issue with HR, which failed to provide any assistance in resolving it. You can take this as the word of a disgruntled ex-employee if you like, but an employment lawyer I talked to agreed with me, but pointed out that Illinois is an at-will state, so if they can make up a good reason to let you go it can cover for illegitimate reasons that might be the real cause.

You chose the people who now lead the Experian NSC in Schaumburg. Because of your decisions about who should lead the NSC, virtually everyone is unhappy. Virtually nobody feels they know what the rules and standards are or that they can trust NSC management to be honest and fair. These people you chose to lead your NSC team are apparently recklessly sharing confidential employee info with people whose jobs do not require it, which is a serious breach of ethics in my opinion and if it is not against the law it sure should be. And these people you chose to lead the NSC have left it in the hands of the team, especially the loudest, most aggressive people, to decide how the rules will be implemented rather than step up and do their jobs and provide real leadership. And at least one of your employees has been subject to a horrifying episode of office rage in which any normal woman would have been seriously in fear for her safety, and STILL HAS TO WORK 20 FEET AWAY from the very person who did it. What the hell is wrong with you that you have allowed the NSC to come to this? Seriously, what??????

Good place to work

Former Employee - Sales  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good company. Great location. Professional staff. Excellent benefits. There is room for moving up in the company, just have to kiss the right tush.

Cons

Revolving door. Job security can be an issue, even for great employees. Culture is a bit loopy at times.

Stop the hire/lay off cycle. It creates paranoia among employees and leads to decreased productivity. Have some faith in your employees and invest in them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Account Executive (BIS) - Great Job To Horrendous Job In Less Than 1 Year

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company benefits are actually very good as far as PTO, 401K match, insurance and stock programs are concerned. The Schaumburg campus is nice, clean and relatively easy to get to.

Cons

Sales goals for BIS are completely unrealistic given that there is absolutely no investment in the products or marketing whatsoever. How a business unit that fails to hit its goals last year sets higher, even more unattainable targets this year without any additional investment in the business is mindboggling. The curent idea of brining in cheaper, less experienced sales reps is not the answer either as there is absolutely zero training aside from one day of webinars. Managment at all levels is absolutely atrocious as none of them have any experience in the credit or sales and run the organization like a bank not an information services company/credit bureau. This is literally the only company I have ever seen that promotes/hires sales managers with ZERO sales experience!

Stop the practice of cronyism and hire managers that are competent and capable of doing their job and turning the business around. When a manager clearly fails to succeed, he/she should not be promoted or re-assigned, they should be terminated. Stop hiring and promoting people to be sales managers if they have absolutely no sales experience and then being surprised when they fail.

Corporate enterprise environment with fairly good organization and clarity around one's job

Current Employee - Network Engineer  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good technical staff (co-workers) and well defined set of tasks or responsibilities. Pay is average, and work flexibility is up to your manager. Good set of procedures and policies in place. Not a lot of turn-over at the non-management level. My manager was very good at insulating us from inappropriate tasks or requests from outside our department.

Cons

Constant re-organization. First we were going to off-shore tech jobs and we did. A few years later the reversed the decision and closed the off-shore facility as well as some branch offices. Management doesn't really look to employee feedback in a meaningful way, though few places do.

Fifteen years of hard work and experience.

Former Employee - Project Consultant Specialist  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Project Consultant Specialist in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I worked with some of the smartest and savviest people in the industry.

Cons

Regular (almost annually) reduction in force. Work outsourced to Costa Rica.

Experian Marketing Services

Current Employee - Director Sales  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Director Sales in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people, decent pay, great benefits

Cons

Lack of clear leadership and vision. Have too many traditional executives whom don't understand digital marketing running the show. Every year your quota doubles and your territory get cut in half. Lack of clear direction of the future. Bad morale and lack of communication from management.

Find outside executives who understand the digital landscape and can create a vision for the future.

political working environment - schaumburg, IL

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

benefits OK. plenty of food options near by

Cons

Low employee morale. if you are good you get overloaded. nid-management lie to employees

Evaluate all employees honestly. Never lie to employees

IT Group

Former Employee - IT Group  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - IT Group in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian for more than 5 years

Pros

If your ingrained in the group you can get away with doing very very little, and with no career skill advancement on your part. If your lucky, you can get a very good paycheck for doing nothing, and not even showing up to work. Heck get an IT management position and not even know what SDLC stands for. Or be a project manager and never have seen MS Project in your life.

Cons

Too many overpaid - underskilled staff sitting on their behinds. First level management protects their friends to protect their jobs. Front line management does not posses the knowledge or skill sets to understand the requests or requirements being presented, they are to rock the boat. Far too many uneducated and underskilled staff that have been protected for years and now that the real world has come knocking on their door, they are scared and complaining, Where else can you have a job for 10 plus years in IT without a degree, no certifications, no skill set improvement? Where else can you complain that you cant work from home most of the week? Where else can you come to work past nine, take a two hour lunch, (two hours because besides lunch I have to exercise or play volleyball) and leave before five pm. Most of the older employees act as if it is a high school clich.

Clean up the dead wood sitting there in Schaumburg, you can remove half the IT group and would not see a difference - especially with the senior members. Stop calling people what they are not, a customer service representative is not a project manager, a solutions arch is not some coder who has managed to sit in the same chair for 15 years. A business analyst is not someone who just happens to have worked with the same workflow for 20 years but has not other knowledge or experience. You have a bunch of overpaid cry babies who need a dose of reality

Average pay, political environment, no room for growth

Former Employee - Systems Analyst  in  Schaumburg, IL
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Experian full-time for more than a year

Pros

The front-line managers care and protected the team as much as they could.

Cons

January rings in a new year and a new sense of doom for employees fearing for their jobs. Front-level management cares a little too much and protects the team in an unhealthy manner.

Fat could be trimmed to make a team run well, but usually isn't. When folks are cut, they are measured from a political perspective (tenure, friends/ties, etc.) and not what they can provide or do for the company.

No career development. Teams are built in a very flat manner, which gives team members little room for advancement. Even if you execute your job wonderfully, there is little opportunity for you to advance since there's a strong feeling that choices for promotions/advancement are done from a political more than pragmatic perspective.

Senior management feels dishonest and when they speak to you, it feels like they're trying to sell you a used car (and not a good one). Often times, when there are layoffs, executive speeches are contrived, insincere, and leave you feeling like they were just trying to keep rats from fleeing a sinking ship. I cannot blame them for managing the company with a cost-cutting strategy, but I always appreciate honesty so I can evaluate my career options.

Create career paths for employees to keep them engaged and cultivate a sense of personal growth. Have reviews more often to give feedback that is helpful and properly reflective of any raises given. If an employee is told that they are doing a great job and they receive significantly less than the cost of living as an adjustment, they should not be surprised.

Worked for Experian? Contribute to the Community!