Expion Reviews

Updated October 10, 2014
2.6

Peter Heffring
1 Rating

Great for young professionals looking to gain valuable experience but I would recommend moving on after a year or two.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Expion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I'm going to be honest about the pros because there are good things at almost every company and this company does have some strong pros. However, I'm leaving out the generic HR "pros" such as a casual work environment. Yes, the office is casual but I don't consider that a pro because almost every office setting now is casual.

* You get a lot of responsibility right off the bat and you aren't stuck in a defined list of job functions. This is great for gaining experience, especially for young people out of college or a professional who doesn't have much experience.
    * The company is still new so you your voice is heard in a way, more often than at a company that has been around for a long time.
    * Social media is fun and fast paced so the clients you work with can be really exciting to work with.
    * The opportunity to work with high profile clients definitely gives you experience

Overall, the main Pros of this company is that you gain valuable experience to take elsewhere. It's a social media software company so the goal is to eventually sell; therefore, this isn't a good place to make a career out of in my opinion.

Cons

There are a lot but below are a few main ones:

* You are always, always, always 'online.' Remaining "online" is their favorite word. Even if you are on vacation, on holiday or sick, you are expected to be checking your emails, responding to people when they call or text (even if you have an out of office responder and have set up a person for people to go to while you are out), and generally just remain available in case something happens (and something always happens..there is almost always a fire going on). This may be fine for workaholics but when I have approved time off or am on Christmas break, I personally find it annoying to constantly be checking emails and remaining available. Approved time off is just that: time off. But the company doesn't really value your time.

* The pay is WAY below market standards for all job roles. Basically, the pay is awful. Read my statement above and re-read this statement: the pay is not good. I'm a single person and live alone and after I pay my bills every month, I barely have enough money to get by. I was always worried about money with this job. Raises are available if you ask (and sometimes they are turned down) or if you get promoted. But bottom line is that you can be making more money at another company that doesn't require 24/7 availability. Everyone I know there who has left, including me, makes more money now.

* The product is very clumsy and there are constant issues and defects you have to deal with. Management expects you to up-sell to clients but it's difficult when the most basic functions break down constantly. And even the stuff we are encouraged to 'up-sell' isn't reliable for the end user.

* If an account discontinues service at any time, even if the reasons have nothing to do with you, it will always be your fault no matter what their reason is. Don't expect your manager to have your back either. Everyone from your manager to the CEO will blame you. The lack of support is very frustrating.

* No real tangible benefits. You get a free gym membership and they buy snacks for the office, but the health benefits are not that great. Other companies put a lot more towards health than this company does. There is no 401k or anything like that.

* The hours are restricting. You are required to be in the office from 9:00 am to 6:00 pm, no wiggle room. You can get in early all you want, but you are expected to stay until at least 6:00 pm. You can not take a lunch break all you want, but you are required to stay until 6:00 pm. They are just now offering "flex" hours; however, I think HR needs to look up the word "flex." Now, you are able to choose between working from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, 9:00 am to 6:00 pm or 10:00 am to 7:00 pm..that's it. Three options. And it's not really flex either because one day a week, you are required to work 9 to 6.

Overall, my experience was that I would work my butt off - answer emails on the weekends, while I was on vacation (I once had people texting me and calling me while I was on vacation, even though I set up an out of office responder and provided a contact while I was away...then I got blamed for not being available when something happened to one of my clients while I was away), or while I was sick...for crappy pay and STILL nothing I did was quite good enough. I would make improvements and adjust and was met with no support: My manager would have short meetings with me, give me little room to express my feelings, and then offer no real advice or support. And all of this and I could barely survive on their pay. I asked myself: What is the point? My two years of experience is great, but I feel it's best served elsewhere.

Company Values: Develop them. Offer support to your employees. I never felt like I could talk to my HR manager or my direct manager about anything.
    Perks: Three choices do not a flex make.
    Office culture: Offer more support and have plans in place when an employee has approved time off. An employee should never be made to feel guilty or get on a call because they have approved time off.
    Respect: There isn't a lot of respect here. I've seen managers barge into employees offices to interrupt them while they are on the phone with a customer (sometimes in the middle of a training). Respect your employees time: everyone deserves a stopping point. Vacation is vacation, time off is time off and weekends are weekends. If people feel respected, they may want to help out outside of business hours, but requiring it and demanding it is not the way to make your employees want to go above and beyond. Especially for the little pay.
    Stability: The constant fear that something will break or not work properly is a big concern. Getting the basic functions more stable will allow your employees to truly grow the account without worrying that the big "up-sell" will not work.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Expion full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice office setting and co-workers

Cons

Small company with intent to sell. Having the goal to sell the company I believe gets in the way of creating a good work environment. They are developing a product and not a company, so employees are not treated as an asset.

No planning and thus everything ends up being a fire. No vision for where the company is headed beside a payday at the end.

No real tangible benefits. 3 weeks vaca is good, healthcare is not so good and no retirement/other benefits to speak of

If you are young and looking for experience, this may be ok but for someone with solid experience, you will find this place very frustrating to work at.

Have a vision for the company, you know a business plan...
    Empower your employees. There are some smart people there, allow them to flourish
    Too flat of an organization. One person can't be in charge of everything.

Never a dull moment...

Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Expion full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I feel that I have a voice here. Each person's ideas and thoughts are truly listened to and I feel comfortable to share my ideas even if they result in nothing at all. Leadership has a way of pushing each of us to evolve within our own roles and within the company in general. They motivate and create excitement for us as employees, about where we currently are and where we are going.

Cons

You work many hours, some weekend time comes into play if clients need help