Exploration Summer Programs

4.3

Arnold Singal

Instructor/RA

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time

Pros

This was an excellent summer job! The students were excited to learn and the staff were all bright and a lot of fun. Wonderful chance to develop teaching skills as I received a great deal of support in curriculum development and frequent feedback.

Cons

Although I greatly enjoyed my time at Explo, the schedule was undeniably grueling and I was often exhausted. A more trivial complaint is that the dorms do not have air conditioning and can get fairly sweltering.The work schedule can be grueling

`

Good for sophomore year

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs

Pros

Good money for short period of time

Cons

Exhausting and little time for selfcare

The hardest you'll ever work in exchange for the most rewarded you'll ever feel

Former Employee - RA-Instructor in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Learned so much about teaching, the education environment, myself, others, etc. There was really a strong effort to foster camaraderie amongst the instructors and other employees. The directors above me couldn't have been more helpful or constructive. Met with them weekly to discuss progress, constructive criticism, and all of that. They truly wanted me to grow.

Cons

Long, long hours. early in the morning until 10pm at night on the days you work, but that's the nature of a sleepaway education program - so it's expected. Every other night was off, so that is more than good enough. Additionally, despite the efforts for camaraderie, things can get cliquey amongst the staff - almost like a summer camp effect.

None. Couldn't have been better in my mind. Attentive, caring, constructive.

Great if you drink the Kool-aid, average if you don't

Current Employee - RA-Instructor in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - RA-Instructor in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I have only worked at the wellesley campus as an instructor and RA so that's all I can speak to. The kids are amazing. I have a blast hanging out with them. You feel like you are giving some of the kids, not all, the best time of their lives. When teaching, you have a lot of autonomy, you feel like you are doing something meaningful (sometimes) and you are able to become better. Everything good about this job is the kids. They really make it for me. I love teaching them, I love hanging out with them, and I love hearing what they have to say. The compensation is great.

Cons

Explo is akin to a cult. It's staff suffer from classic Stockholm syndrome. Most of the jobs are so demeaning and pathetic you feel like a robot. Half the time at Explo you are doing work that feel like busy work. For example, staff are supposed to sit next to stairs and monitor who goes out and in. It's one of the most pathetic excuses for work I have seen.

You are reduced to a robot who must enforce rules that you do not agree with. Whether its the strict curfew and check-in times to the no cursing rule, I feel like I am a traitor to myself every time I enforce these rules. When you don't enforce them, you get a nice passive aggressive talk with an underlying tone of "you either do what we are told or you get fired." Though most the staff is nice and have their heart in the right place, their power really gets to their head. Just like every other school, their cultish nature prevents them to think outside the box. Thus, you have arbitrary rules based on draconian social norms forced on the students.

The classes are truly still gimmicks. They try to make them serious, but the lack of resources, help and student interest in classes make them a gimmick.

Make this camp a place where the arbitrary and draconian social norms of the outside world don't apply. Let kids actually explore! Let them not have curfew. Let them take risks. Let them be humans. That is what America is about. But we have lost our way. We still commit age discrimination. If this camp gave the kids more respect and age discriminated less, it would be a ever better place to work. I don't mind the crazy work hours. I just want to be a good friend of these kids. Let me do it. Stop trying to create artificial lines of "professionalism" in which we are encouraged to be "friendly but not friends." That is not why I am here. I'm here to let the kids have a good time and be their friend.

It was one of the best summer experiences I've had.

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

There is so much excitement, not only from the students who loved it, but from the staff that worked there also. The students are really excited to be there and to learn from the faculty. The other staff member around are always willing to help lead an activity or help to play out a scene in a classroom. The support and feedback from peers is frequent and extremely helpful. Situations and problems that arise are dealt with immediately. Returning staff are given a bonus for coming back for another summer.

Cons

Things can get a bit exhausting when working at a overnight program like this one. Energy is hard to keep when running after children in the heat of the summer.

Exploration Summer Programs is an incredible work environment that helps a person grow so much.

Current Employee - Residential Adviser in Southborough, MA
    Current Employee - Residential Adviser in Southborough, MA

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Exploration Summer programs is an incredibly rewarding work environment. People learn so much and work with coworkers who are incredibly supportive and motivating.

Cons

While the environment is rewarding, it is also incredibly exhausting. Sometimes staff may be up very late doing tasks or helping homesick children and then wake up very early.

Very positive experience

Former Employee - RA-Instructor in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - RA-Instructor in New Haven, CT

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It is a great experience to create your own curricula and teach high school students. You also have time to explore the city, go on field trips, and get free tickets to basically everything you could think of. They pay for you to go white water rafting, to broadways plays, food tours, six flags amusement park etc.

Cons

Sometimes it can be stressful. You get every other night off to do whatever, but for the rest of the time, you are on the clock.

Best summer of my life

Former Employee - RA-Instructor in Wellesley, MA

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing staff, the friendships I built there will last forever. An extremely fun and creative work environment. If you're not creative, or you don't want to be creative don't work here.

Cons

Very long hours and days. As an Instructor, I found myself having to work on curriculum during my off time sometimes

Best summer job I've had!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wellesley, MA

I have been working at Exploration Summer Programs as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The people I spent my summer with were truly incredible and so passionate. The students are unique and diverse, and the program itself is comprehensive and carefully planned.

Cons

Critical feedback is limited unless you seek it out for yourself. Starting the summer is trial by fire -- sink or swim. The summer is exhausting and they will work you hard!

Greater availability of critical feedback!

Not much free time; more camp work than teaching work

Former Employee - Instructor/RA in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Instructor/RA in New Haven, CT

I worked at Exploration Summer Programs

Pros

Good summer job salary, excellent experience working in New Haven, interesting work - very challenging (but rewarding) to construct courses, met some really great and interesting kids and counselors there

Cons

Long hours/overscheduling, every other night off, bad dining hall food, living facilities (cockroaches),

Give us more time away from the kids, revamp pre curriculum advising process, give us training in how to deal with classroom misbehavior instead of misbehavior from an RA perspective