Explore Learning

Explore Learning Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great part-time job for students

Assistant Tutor (Former Employee) Chelmsford, England (UK)

ProsReally friendly working environment, with most tutors being of a young age (sixth formers or students). The work is challenging though, as you are tutoring children, which helps you develop important transferable skills for later life such as communication and team work. Regular training in order to learn about different tutoring strategies and schemes of work.

ConsWorking with 5-14 year olds is very tiring and can be challenging. You also have to think outside the box a lot to explain certain concepts to them, which can be draining. However the training and support is excellent.

Not for me, but some people absolutely love it.

Assistant Director (Current Employee)

ProsReally nice colleagues. Can be fun if you enjoy working with kids. Achievable targets and bonuses. Lots of responsibility.

ConsReally throw you in at the deep end without much training. Too much to do and not enough time to do it. Lots of the processes in the company need streamlining and don't make much sense, especially the IT systems. Antisocial working hours (11-8) but unavoidable due to the nature of the work.

Fun, but not much progression

Assistant Tutor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood people, friendly environment and pressure easy to manage

ConsSlow to work your way up the pay ladder

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to staff requirements

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Professional Development, Great People, Job to believe in.

Tutor (Current Employee)

Pros(*) Explore really is all about the clients.
    (*) It is target driven and there are things that ADs have to achieve, however, tutors really do get to make a difference to children's lives.
    (*) Explore is a fun company to work for and the teams I've experienced have always been brilliant.
    (*) Excellent experience in sales, client management, problem solving, situation resolution, teamwork, tuition, SEN training...the list goes on!
    (*) Genuine belief that you're making a difference and it's easy to sell something that is easy to believe in.
    (*) You get to know children and families as individuals which allows you to really tailor to them and treat work less like a chore and more like a place you can talk to really lovely people.
    (*) Targets tend to be fairly reasonable and achievable, they just keep up the pressure to ensure you're doing well.

Cons(*) Sometimes you have to get things done so you don't always get to give every child the attention you would like to.
    (*) Neither Managers nor Tutors get paid a salary that maps the effort that is put in and there are a lot of hours that go above and beyond what you get paid.

Advice to Senior Management(*) change pay structure, particularly for management.
    (*) think about career prospects within the company, perhaps defining it a little more.

Good for personal development as a part-time job

Tutor (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsConsidered a good job by other employers
    Gain lots of skills
    Can be enjoyable working with children

ConsSometimes frustrating working with children
    Low pay for part-timers (at 18 I was paid £5.25 an hour)

Worked for Explore Learning? Contribute to the Community!