Exponent

Be The First To
Add Photos

Exponent President, CEO, and Director Paul R. Johnston

Paul R. Johnston

Work hard and see a bunch of different projects in a very short time...

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Menlo Park, CA

I have been working at Exponent full-time for more than a year

ProsExtremely flexible schedule (except when it's not due to client expectations). Salary at higher levels can be good with a relatively low-level risk. Getting compensated for overtime is nice.

ConsDepending on your manager and the expectations of the client, you may have "surprise" commitments that pop up at the last minute that take over your evening. Salary at the lower levels is below market rate.

Working at Exponent

Senior Associate (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Exponent full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you are interested in diagnosing failures and litigation support, this is the place for you. It is nice to work with so any smart people. The office had a very academic feeling to it. Good cooperation between departments and groups. Lot of good social activities outside of the office.

ConsEmployee success is largely based on a ratio of the number of billable hours to the number of hours the employee is being asked to be paid for. This does do a good job of creating a pure meritocracy, but it can also make working there very stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to price discriminate, like movie theaters - kids pay less for a seat than an adult. There needs to be a system to do this with different types of clients.

intense

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Exponent

Prosinteresting work, fast pace, smart colleagues

Consupper management seems confused about medium to long term goals for employees. A faction is hell bent on billable productivity, come hell or high water, even at the cost of medium term initiatives. may work short term, but will fall flat in 2 years.

Advice to Senior Managementprovide more support to your employees for development of marketing niches. right now there is none. you will lose a lot of associates and senior associates in the next year or two otherwise.

Interesting place to work

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exponent full-time

ProsVariety of technical work; smart, nice people; no one micromanages you. Ability to make your own destiny. It is a good place for people who take initiative and risk.

ConsMarketing (selling) yourself (and the firm) is important -if you don't have that attitude, it is tough to advance. It is much like other professional services firms in that respect.

Long-time full time employee

I have been working at Exponent full-time for more than 10 years

ProsSmart people, flexibility, good benefits, decent pay

ConsEmphasis on billability and marketing

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize high technical performers, not just good marketers

Great place for self starters, no one holds your hand

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exponent full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe sky's the limit. This is a company that you can come to and build your own practice from the ground up. If you convince clients to hire you for huge projects, you'll do well and rise to the top rapidly. No one is there to stop you.

You can choose to walk all over people to get there or not; there are many paths to Principal.

People are generally good, and generally bright. There are a few phonies and bull crap artists, but the company overall has a very good reputation among clients and outsiders - and for good reason.

Most interview candidates come armed with almost the exact same phrase: "I'm interested in Exponent because I like variety." You will certainly get that here.

ConsBiggest con is a lack of management. The act of "good management" is not rewarded in any way. The term "manager" is thrown around as if giving out candy. Make a lot of money for Exponent? You're a manager / senior manager / principal - never mind if you never actually manage anything or anyone.

Really good at training people, hiring people, or running a lab? You get a pat on the back at best, and at worst your bonus will suffer.

The Employee Stock Purchase Plan is a complete joke (5% discount off of market value, with no control over the date of purchase). Stock awards / options are for Principal level and higher only. At that level, the options factor in to your bonus calculation. Bonuses are heavily skewed towards the rainmakers. Bonuses at lower levels are often a joke, unless you are the top performer in your pay grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management need to breathe new life into the old company, and I don't mean just by hiring more young people. The company needs a culture, and more amenities for its employees. Think how much more productive people would be if free lunch and dinner were provided - this seems to be the status quo in the Bay Area anyway. Then what about providing some recreation? Encourage people to hit the gym which also boosts morale/productivity. New equipment needs to be purchased more regularly and should be done so much more proactively.

Exponent is not for the typical engineer.

Associate (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Exponent full-time for more than a year

ProsExponent is perfect for a person with a technical background and an entrepreneurial spirit. Employees have the autonomy to establish their own practice and expertise where ever they see a need.

ConsEmployee success at Exponent is determined by the number of billable hours. Holidays and vacation days are included the calculation. Therefore, in order to meet the minimum success criteria, employees must be billable every working hour of the year. All marketing activities and professional development should be done on the employee's time so that the employee remains billable.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow managers to spend less time on billable work so that they can spend more time teaching and developing their employees.

Exciting but underpaid.

Senior Scientist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Exponent full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits. People are enjoyable to work with. Well-known in the industry. Always something different to work on.

ConsThe raises and bonuses for lower-level employees are below market for someone in a similar position with another company. Have significantly higher UT rate quotas than other consulting firms, which makes taking vacations or any personal time off difficult.

Internship

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Exponent

ProsI enjoyed geting experience and contacts.

ConsI did no find any cons.

Excellent scientific consulting firm

I have been working at Exponent full-time

ProsUnique firm, very high-end consulting, Exponent is the go-to firm for major problems. Entry level staff get great opportuinities to work on high-profile projects, multidisciplinary, huge upside for career advancement and high compensation at the Principal level

ConsFollks that are not natural consultants (good technically AND good sellers and networkers) may get frustrated as the more nimble peers advance quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpand into new areas of consulting..

Worked for Exponent? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Exponent reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Exponent CEO Paul R. Johnston. All 49 reviews posted anonymously by Exponent employees.