Exponential Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
Dilip DaSilva

Pros
  • respect for work/life balance if you so desire (in 4 reviews)

• amicable work environment, good pay and benefits, interesting company events although those are becoming rarer and rarer (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotten executive management and middle management except for a few good ones who are already beaten to the ground (in 3 reviews)

• Recently let go of some of the best talent at the management level (in 3 reviews)

1. Traffic Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I worked at Exponential full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, amazing people, good benefits.

Cons

Too many changes in direction.

Advice to Management

More transparency into company goals.

2. True

I have been working at Exponential full-time

Pros

A number of really good people at Exponential. Sure, there are challenges in a privately held company, but overall, most of the folks here truly care about the company they represent

Cons

As I have seen and read, I must agree that the CEO's direction is the direction - period. But at least there is a vision here. He is not sitting idly by

Advice to Management

As the company morphs into a video company, make sure the bread and butter "display" dollars are well serviced

3. Take some chances

Pros

Longevity - the company has been around for a long time and the name still carries some weight in the market. Work life balance is good.

Cons

Lack of product development and inability to stay with the times. No senior level leadership in the US at all. All the key decisions are made by those overseas, where the markets aren't nearly as ripe. Too many people in key positions where they have no background in that sector. Product does not work nearly as well as it use to.

Advice to Management

You have to take some chances. Status quo is the worst thing you can do. You need to invest and hire a serious US leadership team.

Great ad tech company going in an exciting direction

I have been working at Exponential full-time

Pros

The industry is growing rapidly, and we are evolving with it. Exponential is making big changes, to our technology and business strategy, that are going to mean huge things for the company. It's been great experiencing a growing and exciting environment at the pinnacle of advertising technology.

Cons

Small office, but that brings with it many pros such as very close coworkers and the ability to wear different hats and make a big impact on the business.

Advice to Management

We need to put a bigger emphasis on hiring salespeople in the Emeryville headquarters, where we could be making a bigger dent in selling in the bay area.

6. Industry Professional

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Pros

It was hard at the start but now that I understand how things work here I am feeling much better; but you have to manage your own navigation through how to get things done! No different than other! Even the President has a style that I still am trying to understand in a positive way! He is somewhat of a dreamer, but; that is how it all starts! With a dream!

Cons

Could be more organized with a common understanding of where we are going. But you quickly find out what you need to do to be constructive and lead others to success. Let's make this another industry success story!!!

Advice to Management

Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk- Work, work, work, work together; succeed together!

Carve Your Own Path

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Genuinely kind staff (rare for the industry) -Very flexible work hours -Excellent work/life balance -100% medical coverage -Plenty of autonomy -Company's offering is solid and ethical -CEO is very involved

Cons

-CEO is very in the weeds, priority is on Engineering -Lack of awareness/priority placed on company culture -People at all levels can tend to "coast", Not a super energetic or ambitious environment

Advice to Management

Invest in and incentivize good people to help develop culture and loyalty.

Changing vision for the better. Growing pains along for the ride.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is moving in a new direction and is near the front of the charge. Video is reemerging as a more-than-viable medium for ad dollars to land and the CEO is slightly ahead of the game. That vision paired with the guts to make decisions creates an exciting place to work. There is a lot of responsibility handed over to employees here and they are constantly hiring and interviewing people. We do happy hours and wine / beer tastings. You get a mac or a PC and the work-life balance is really good. People are nice to each other and that is fairly rare in this business.

Cons

The communication needs to be better from the top. I feel the ceo needs to find a better way to get his ideas across. He's more of an engineer than a sales guy.

Advice to Management

Implement the new ideas fast no matter how rough the transition will be. The employees are behind you but we need to get product to market before the competition catches up.

Great potential, going through change (for the better) but have lost people in the meantime

I have been working at Exponential full-time

Pros

-Work-life balance, flexible and respectful of employees' free time -Warm, respectful coworkers -Great benefits + compensation -Free lunches -Technology and product both sound, but slow to market -When it comes to promotions, internal candidates are almost always considered first -You'll get experience in mobile, display and video spaces all at once -CEO is smart and encourages a loyal, ethical, self-motivated culture -High integrity.

Cons

-Like every company in ad tech, Exponential has needed to change to stay flexible, but transparency into how/why we're changing and what is changing is lacking. -Change is slow - no surprise for a 700-person tech company. -Recent turnover. -Good/decent culture in some offices, poor in other offices.

Advice to Management

The company is full of middle managers (both men and women), so that's good. Advice - promote transparency, communication and motivation during change. Providing your team with a growth path will help you keep the hungry employees.

I've yet to meet someone who is happy at their job.

Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at Exponential full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exponential pays pretty well. This appears to be due to the fact that 99% of non-client/agency direct facing employees are based in India and offices tend to be city-adjacent, so you're NEAR a major city, but rent is cheaper. Free lunches Mon-Thu @ HQ (although this can be a debatable pro, free food is free food, I guess). No-cost benefits, company covers all insurance costs. There is also a russian roulette of sorts as to how hard you need to work at your job. Recruiters will battle the obvious rate of attrition with smoke and mirrors and pointing out plenty of employees who have been with the company 5+ years. Upon further review, a lot of those 'lifers' are coasting in questionable jobs, never in the office, or just don't care. Depending on where you land, you can potentially coast along and do the bare minimum for the forseeable future. If thats what you're in to. My suggestion for success if you do decide to take on a role at Exponential: act like you're really busy all the time, meet deadlines, and people will think you're good at your job. Lastly, if you're loud enough and in the right people's ears, you MIGHT enact some change. BUT you'll also be under a microscope for getting up on your soapbox and the coasters will inevitable roll their eyes at you.

Cons

HR/recruitment team will tell you to take these reviews with a grain of salt. It's like Yelp, you're only going to see the disgruntled and the happy (cough padded by marketing employees cough). I'm not disgruntled by any means. I am certainly looking forward to bigger and better things, but I don't have an overall negative look on my time at Expo thusfar... That being said if you're smart enough to scope out these reviews before taking a meeting, there is a high probability that you will not be happy at Exponential. Rather than putting together some cheeky diatribe, I will share some observations that I classify as cons: - Products severely lack innovation or a compelling value proposition. - Job responsibilities change at least once a year, the job you are interviewing for is most likely not the job you will be doing. - Constant matrixing and unmatrixing (on the sales side) and changing of who's client facing... The sales structure takes on a 'throw it against the wall and see what sticks' approach. - Generally, no confidence in the ability or knowledge of 80% of sales leadership. - Systems are antiquated and seem to be down or unresponsive at least biweekly. - It is blatantly obvious that people are idiots/liars, yet it seems to be impossible to be fired. - Re: firing, the company's approach to 'letting someone go' is making them miserable enough to quit. - Roles have a very low knowledge ceiling, you can learn the proprietary systems inside and out, but you'll learn very little that will help you in the industry. - No CFO. Seriously... what? The company withdrew it's IPO and the board of directors was slowly 'bullied' out.. whaaaattt??? - CEO is a nice guy, quiet, but somewhat approachable. At the end of the day--big picture--he's an engineer, not a business man. - Little to no opportunity for growth. There is a '1 year rule' for the ability to even be considered for a promotion (despite desperate need) and example cases of advancement and growth within the company seem to be out of date.

Advice to Management

Disclaimer: Not really constructive advice, just food for thought. If I do my job to the best of my ability, the best possible outcome is that I will make someone else's job a little easier. But it's hard to stay in that positive momentum when the people around you are doing their best to do the bare minimum. No one seems to know what they're doing, so maybe reward people who are going above and beyond and--at worst--help steer them... rather than reprimanding them for trying to help the brand? We're not playing with a full deck with product, systems, or staffing ... I suppose that (in addition to other cheapness) is why we're granted competitive salaries. Consolation compensation. Unfortunately I don't really have advice, because I feel very few of the people in charge are worth saving. The fact that you have at least a dozen employees on your staff globally that are staying with the company so that it doesn't look bad on their resume... thats a big red flag. Maybe just give up? The products aren't spectacular, the people aren't really happy. I give Exponential a rating of: meh.

A very respectful and warm environment, but slow moving and high turnover

I worked at Exponential full-time

Pros

Allowed to function rather autonomously. The management and the people within the organization are all very kind. Its a very warm place to work and I only ever felt appreciated by management and colleagues alike. The company has some very smart contributors as well

Cons

The company is slow to adapt. Very smart team of developers, but for a tech company, engineering process is very slow. The company also seems adverse to an ever changing industry - I think Exponential needs to function a lot faster if they want to make it as a tech company.

RSS Feed </> Embed