Export Development Canada

Export Development Canada Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Benoit Daignault

good corp

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswork life balance, good culture, good people

Conslimited quick career progress opportunities

Not bad

Associate (Current Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prosgood leadership, flexible time, lots of support

ConsHead Office in Ottawa, French requirement,

Great place to develop

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of variety, option to travel and lean about complex international transactions

ConsCan be a little bureaucratic with some confusing decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency, less politicking

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I plan to finish my career here....we do great work for Canada

Leader (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat work-life balance - yes, the hours are as long as in the private sector, but we have the flexibility and the tools to work from home as needed. Colleagues who are experts in their field and who genuinely want to collaborate with others. Feedback from our clients shows that the work we do for them is highly valued, so you know what you do is making a difference. Lots of opportunity to move around within the company, even outside of your immediate area. And I personally love the work we do with local community groups and with CARE Canada to sponsor business development in the third world - we take our corporate social responsibilities seriously.

ConsSome of our administrative processes seem to take far too long - can be frustrating when something that seems so simple takes weeks to complete. A lot of change initiatives underway with no end in sight.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leaders can get too bogged down in making sure all teams and all employees are exactly following the steps in the latest program (such as LEAN) - would be better to allow different teams to adapt the program a little more and trust that the teams will deliver the desired end results.

Best Organization I've Worked For

ProsEDC is full of really great people - smart, capable, leaders in their field, committed. Not a typical "government" organization. Results oriented. High performance standards. Great working environment. Many of the employees here have worked in the private sector, but have tired of that culture (chasing profits) and want to make a difference. At EDC, you can still work with high calibre people on interesting, challenging work, but you know you are doing it because it matters.

ConsEDC has a strong culture and it isn't for everyone. It is definitely not a good spot for someone who wants to coast (unlike many government organizations, poor performance isn't tolerated). Also, not a great spot for someone who is driven by individual rewards available in the high-end financial sector. With the Canadian government as the shareholder, the organization is just not going to be a top payer. But, pay is competitive for most jobs. Career progression can be slower than in some other organizations. There isn't much turnover (because most people like it here and stay), so this limits available promotions. Career opportunities are most often in the actual challenge of roles, taking on special projects and job changes at the same level.

Excellent place to work!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsLots of interesting and challenging work, great work environment, beautiful gym with plenty of different classes. Excellent career development oppportunities. Opportunity to work with lots of bright people! Great mandate - helping Canadian exporters succeed abroad. Flexible work policy with ability to work from home.

ConsSalary not as competitive as private sector but overall great benefits package.

One of the best crown corporations as it is mandate focused, value driven and embraces a culture of excellence.

Project Manager (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsEmbraces the best practices for delivering services to its mandated clients, Canadian exporters, and helps them succeed in doing business around the world.

ConsManagement is now pursuing a path to remove long term employees who were on the defined benefits retirement plan. Forcing a lot of good people out of organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementTop employers are mindful of the reputation they have as place where you can grow a career. If you want a high turn over of staff, your internal staff moral, employee loyalty and corporate commitments will suffer, ultimately undermining your high service levels.

Good portfolio of financial products and services offered

Account Manager (Former Employee) Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGood Employee Benefits and offices

ConsBureaucratic, Inconsistent Leadership Direction, need to speak French to progress career

Take a second look! by the way, Insurance group is the worst!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsBenefits, low work load, GYM, Everything is good if you dont look for money or career !
    Good if you like to keep your head low and dont speak or criticize any policy or procedure

ConsAlthough it looks very professional from outside, it is absolutely not from inside. everything depends on personal relationship, no matter what u do for the business. no clear guidelines, yet millions of vague protocols all over the place
    Working at EDC depends 90% on who do you know and to what extent they like you. you might be the most efficient at your work, but if you dont have personal relationship with your manager you will move no where. The overall environment is not comfortable, every word you say can affect your career, as the company is full of rats.
    With people spending half of their life with no promotions at EDC, you will find a lot of hard feelings to any newcomer.
    Overall, if you are successful in your current job dont think of EDC. if you are unemployed and dont fidn work somewhere else, then go for it (a Senior manager told me that inside EDC after I was employed ! - It is a place for people who didnt find job elsewhere!)
    Forget about promotions, moving to another departments, going outside to other countries, unless you were hired like that.
    watch out for the first two months (they call them the honey moon), where they leave you work on your own and feel comfortable to slam hard after.
    The big theme that this is a professional and ethical place is absolutely not correct. Even HR might be sneaky if the officer is in good terms with the person you are complaining about.

Advice to Senior ManagementCan you please be more real and honest, without pretending? more engaging and care more about results instead of chit chatting here and there ?

Bureaucracy

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsGreat benefits, location, working with intelligent people, company reputation

ConsFavouritism; promotions not based on merit. Company has implemented cost cutting measures even though they have generated profit. You must drink the corporate cool-aid.

Worked for Export Development Canada? Contribute to the Community!