Export Development Canada

3.7

Benoit Daignault

EDC best employer in Ottawa

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Export Development Canada full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at EDC has been a game changer. Work-life balance is best in the city - regular teleworking is common and often encouraged. Employees are intelligent and hard-working and management supportive of career development. There is a true sense of professionalism and growth - everyone is always working together on different ways to make EDC a better organization - and at the end of the day, these changes are actually implemented. Imagine!

Cons

Organization structure a little confusing/chaotic. Compensation/salary increases not as competitive as the private sector.

A great place to work

I have been working at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are genuinely smart, kind and hard-working - a pleasure to work with. There's lots of interesting and meaningful work to do, and lots of opportunities to learn and grow in your career. Generally a good work-life balance and flexible work arrangements are a big plus. I consider EDC far and away the best place to work in Ottawa, and one of the best in Canada.

Cons

Sometimes EDC can feel a bit bureaucratic or slow to change. Very low staff turnover rates are a sign that it's a great place to work, but can sometimes mean that there's not as many opportunities for advancement or "fresh blood" as might be desirable.

Keep it simple - never lose sight of the customer. Be nimble.

Not bad

Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Associate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good leadership, flexible time, lots of support

Cons

Head Office in Ottawa, French requirement,

good corp

I worked at Export Development Canada full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work life balance, good culture, good people

Cons

limited quick career progress opportunities

Great place to develop

I worked at Export Development Canada

Pros

Lots of variety, option to travel and lean about complex international transactions

Cons

Can be a little bureaucratic with some confusing decisions.

More transparency, less politicking

Good portfolio of financial products and services offered

Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Employee Benefits and offices

Cons

Bureaucratic, Inconsistent Leadership Direction, need to speak French to progress career

I plan to finish my career here....we do great work for Canada

Current Employee - Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Leader in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance - yes, the hours are as long as in the private sector, but we have the flexibility and the tools to work from home as needed. Colleagues who are experts in their field and who genuinely want to collaborate with others. Feedback from our clients shows that the work we do for them is highly valued, so you know what you do is making a difference. Lots of opportunity to move around within the company, even outside of your immediate area. And I personally love the work we do with local community groups and with CARE Canada to sponsor business development in the third world - we take our corporate social responsibilities seriously.

Cons

Some of our administrative processes seem to take far too long - can be frustrating when something that seems so simple takes weeks to complete. A lot of change initiatives underway with no end in sight.

Senior leaders can get too bogged down in making sure all teams and all employees are exactly following the steps in the latest program (such as LEAN) - would be better to allow different teams to adapt the program a little more and trust that the teams will deliver the desired end results.

Best Organization I've Worked For

I have been working at Export Development Canada (more than 5 years)

Pros

EDC is full of really great people - smart, capable, leaders in their field, committed. Not a typical "government" organization. Results oriented. High performance standards. Great working environment. Many of the employees here have worked in the private sector, but have tired of that culture (chasing profits) and want to make a difference. At EDC, you can still work with high calibre people on interesting, challenging work, but you know you are doing it because it matters.

Cons

EDC has a strong culture and it isn't for everyone. It is definitely not a good spot for someone who wants to coast (unlike many government organizations, poor performance isn't tolerated). Also, not a great spot for someone who is driven by individual rewards available in the high-end financial sector. With the Canadian government as the shareholder, the organization is just not going to be a top payer. But, pay is competitive for most jobs. Career progression can be slower than in some other organizations. There isn't much turnover (because most people like it here and stay), so this limits available promotions. Career opportunities are most often in the actual challenge of roles, taking on special projects and job changes at the same level.

Excellent place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of interesting and challenging work, great work environment, beautiful gym with plenty of different classes. Excellent career development oppportunities. Opportunity to work with lots of bright people! Great mandate - helping Canadian exporters succeed abroad. Flexible work policy with ability to work from home.

Cons

Salary not as competitive as private sector but overall great benefits package.

One of the best crown corporations as it is mandate focused, value driven and embraces a culture of excellence.

Former Employee - Project Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I worked at Export Development Canada full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Embraces the best practices for delivering services to its mandated clients, Canadian exporters, and helps them succeed in doing business around the world.

Cons

Management is now pursuing a path to remove long term employees who were on the defined benefits retirement plan. Forcing a lot of good people out of organization.

Top employers are mindful of the reputation they have as place where you can grow a career. If you want a high turn over of staff, your internal staff moral, employee loyalty and corporate commitments will suffer, ultimately undermining your high service levels.

Export Development Canada Photos

In 1976, exports were 20.4% of Canada’s GDP. In 2003 exports were 40% of the GDP (CANSIM) #TBT #throwbackthursday
EDC