Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give(in 48 reviews)

• Great discount-35-45 percent off(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers(in 61 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it(in 54 reviews)

Not that great...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount on clothing. Customers were friendly.

ConsManager didn't like giving breaks to employees. I would work 8 or more hours straight without a break, which is ridiculous. Poor pay for a TON of work. The manager would only schedule a few people to work during extremely busy times; this meant constantly running around and customers getting aggravated because they needed help. Management would be a little too pushy- having to bring 3 or more pieces of clothing to the customers in the dressing room as "suggestions" to what they have. If I were the customer, I would be annoyed.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide breaks to people who work a full day- we need to eat and sit down!

The company really stresses for sales associates to greet every costumer, uncover their needs, & really focus on them.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO

ProsIf you start out really well the first few days then they will mostly schedule you more hours. Since they stress the importance of focusing on customers and giving them that great shopping experience it can really force a sales associate out of their comfort zone. However, if you like talking and being around people, then you will enjoy this position. Rarely do I run into a rude customer.

ConsSince the company really focuses on sales, it can limit how many employees they can have come to work, which can prevent you from getting more hours. Minimum wage with no sales commission - you have to sell, sell, sell, (whole priced items) however, to help the company. Also, shifts are not that flexible. If you are not able to work a shift because you have other plans, you simply cannot switch with someone else, you have to give up that shift. No employee discounts on top of sales items.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow flexible times, switching shifts, and be more cognizant of employees availability when making the schedule for the week.

it's a job

Prosit's an over-all good work enviorment.

Consdoesn't pay enough to be a high end store. no one is full time except managers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced sales and customer focused

ProsSales experience, the discount, meeting people

ConsLow pay, management, keeping customers happy while trying to resolve their issues can be difficult (but that's any job), the environment has a very high school-like atmosphere

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect for part-time employees could be better or at least more professional

Sales Lead

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI enjoyed who I worked with for the first part of my employment.

ConsLots of turnover in management with different work ethics.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly environment, Great training programs, great employee discount.

ConsDoes not offer enough hours. Pay is awful.

Hard Work for less pay

Fashion Expert (Current Employee) McLean, VA

ProsThe good reason to work at Express is that you gain a lot of experience other companies know that once that you work in express you are a hard worker, because most of the times you stay late cleaning the store and the pay is not as good as other stores.

ConsIt's a lot of work, they don't pay good, some managers aren't professional at all the most of them does not how treat people.

Okay for a retail position

Sales Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people were good to work with

ConsThe pay was low for the area

Advice to Senior ManagementNot great at scheduling by availability

sales associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood part time summer job

Conspay stays the same throughout

Working at Express has its good and bad moments, but nonetheless it is a decent job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsWorking there is great and you get to wear nice clothes and meet a lot of new people.

ConsChallenges is working with rude customers, fold an entire table for customers to ruin, close the store until almost 3am, and doing all of this some time for very little money

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay for associates since we're working for great/expensive clothes.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!