Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give(in 48 reviews)

• Great discount-35-45 percent off(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers(in 61 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it(in 54 reviews)

Fast paced environment that have high standards with customer service and visuals

Customer Sales Lead (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery fun and friendly people. They work around your availibility for your scheduled hours. Moving up the ladder is easy as long as you stand out from the set of associates.

ConsLong hours, pesky customers, minimum wage for associates

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep moving forward and to communicate issues directly

very helpful in keeping me employed

Culinary Contractor (Current Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsThey try to match the best employee with the best employer,and there is hardly a time that they are not trying to keep you working.

ConsMy experiance was,some of the assinghments ,were to far for me to travel to,and the pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation

Store Manager

Store Manager (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsAbility to build, coach and develop teams in a fast paced and fun environment.

ConsLong Hours especially during the Holidays

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was amazing and a cool environment to work

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Gainesville, FL

ProsIt depends on your role

Conswe always have a 30% in clothes witch was a really good deal because the clothe is a little expensive, but a really good quality

Advice to Senior Managementthey just should give more hours

An amazing experience

Co-Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsFun and engaging environment. Compensation is stagnant but the benefits make up for it.

ConsLack of communication with upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue and appreciate your employees loyalty and dedication.

Being a retail associate can be great or horrible depending on your managers

Sales Associate (Former Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsEasy to move up, hours are good, good managers make life much easier, easy/basic jobs to do, clothes are nice

ConsLow pay, horrible managers make your life awful, strict rules, discount isn't better than coupons customers get, can't use coupons with discounts, cliquey environment

Advice to Senior ManagementBe kind, don't get so caught up in all the employer drama

Great people but very tough upper management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount! Great place to learn customer service skills, if you work hard you will get noticed and you can step up relatively quickly.

ConsManagement has a way of making you feel guilty if you want weekends/holidays off, once you reach Sales Lead you need to live the "Express" life to get noticed for Co-manager positions and its harder to move up from there because people tend to not want to leave their positions easily.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more incentive for the up and coming superstars and support them more. SMs and DMs have a way of saying congratulations while adding a negative comment. Celebrate wins more than emphasis losses.

Would not recommend a management position.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company really believes in the customer experience. It also has a training program that was created with the best of intentions. Company values are evident in the culture of the environment.

ConsThe expectations are completely unrealistic, regardless of the sales volume of the store. Payroll is tight in any retail company, but Express strives to cram so much into any given day that nothing is completed 100%, and the customer experience suffers. Also, Express is one of the lowest paying retailers as far as part-time associates. I was embarrassed to make job offers to potential associates because I knew that competitors were offering as much as +$1/hour in starting pay compared to this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love that the company encourages store management teams to recognize good performance from subordinates, but it would be nice to hear positive reinforcement from the district or regional management level. Remaining motivated is nearly impossible when the company is making cuts left and right to reduce costs, yet the management team rarely hears any appreciation.

Leading customers towards a purchase that is both affordable and profitable.

Operational Manager (Current Employee) Newark, NJ

ProsCustomer service and the ability to interact and serving all type of people regardless their statuses.

ConsBeing able to be nice to people when they are acting rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees would be more satisfied with the job if they were getting paid enough for their hard work.

Underpaid, overworked, constantly changing management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsCoworkers are generally friendly, some light competitions between staff for prizes in-store, retail experience

ConsConstantly changing management, low hours, low pay, low employee discount (almost negligible depending on promotions), on-call scheduling is poor, little room for growth, little to no attention for training beyond videos

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain employees thoroughly. Use fewer videos and more practice scenarios. Create opportunities for employees to grow based on performance.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!