Express LLC
www.express.com Columbus, OH 5000+ Employees

Express LLC Reviews in Columbus, OH

Updated Apr 15, 2014
Express LLC – US – “store”

Express LLC President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

15 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Fashion Authority

Sales Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI really do make a difference in people's lives. I work in a fast-paced enviroment, so there is never a dull moment. The associates are amazing. The previous SM was not good. The current SM is a world of a difference and when the right people are working, it makes everything smooth.

ConsLittle incentives. Pay is not close to what it should be for all the work that keeps the store going. Lack of pay for basic associates means a high turnover rate, but we do recruit the best. It is rare to leave when you're scheduled to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the associates more than the minimum.

Very political. Need to be tough skinned to work here.

Home Office (Former Employee)

I worked at Express LLC full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat discount. Company values are terrific. Strong training programs. Field people work very hard. Stylish, quality clothing and accessories.

ConsOffice culture includes a lot of backstabbing and gossip with no consequence.

Check out DM turnover. You're only as good as yesterday's results.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk your talk Home office is a viper pit and teams don't collaborate.

If in IT, do not work here

Internal IT Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Express LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe discount if you like the clothing.

ConsPoor management. Almost no growth opportunities unless you previously worked at Abercrombie or really know someone. Alot of nepotism and favoritism and its really the only way to get promoted. Typically they hire someone from another retailer in a position above you even though you have been doing the job for 6-12 months. Upper management is a boys club and there is little diversity and if someone doesnt like you, expect to be pushed out.

Pay runs 5-10k under what other places will pay unless they really need someone. Also, You will do the work of 3 people and have to cross specialize. Which might not sound bad but when you have 3 people on your team and have day to day and project work, its extremely overwhelming. We also have no remote work force and working from home is not really seen. They have old fashioned beliefs that everyone needs to be watched or they arent working.

Even if you are desperate for work, go somewhere else. You will be happier in the long run.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting your buddies, hire a more diverse group of people, and promote those that deserve it. Get more people in your infrastructure, not just applications and stick by your employee's more. Do you really question why you have a 30% turnaround rate.

Worst Job I've ever had

IT Engineer (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Express LLC full-time for less than a year

ProsThe discount because the terrible quality clothing isn't worth full price

ConsBackstabbing, lots of backstabbing. Basically everyone that the Limited didn't want to keep got sent to run Express during the divestiture so not really high caliber people running the show if you know what I mean. Time off is terrible, 6 holidays and 2 weeks PTO.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house and get better people to run the show.

Don't get what they promise you

Senior Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsNice overall work experience! Extremely fast paced

ConsPromise fast track to manager, minimal training offered for their systems.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop training program

Cannot take it anymore

Accountant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsI like my coworkers, and management is alright.

ConsEverything else. High turnover has left Acct ops completely disabled and understaffed. There is no sense of urgency to get help, and they are pissed that work is not getting done despite 60-70 hours a week. No bonus, low compensation, all your friends will leave, nothing is ever good enough. There was literally a group called the mean girls club that held a lot of power at Express up until recently. It was a well deserved nickname.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a reasonable amount and try to keep your talent. Pay the people in the building that have been with you ten years what you are offering to college kids coming in off the street (college kids this is not an endorsement).

Beware of Hostile Technical Design Management

Technical Designer (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Express LLC full-time for more than a year

ProsEmployee discount, some friendly employees.

ConsHostile & Threatening Management with disregard to ADA compliance. Management encourages "schoolyard bullying" mentality, meaning that when management treats subordinates as commodities rather than human beings, the entire team is co-opted to engage in the same reprehensible behavior. In the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM IV), the highest managers display traits synonymous with psychopathy. Management claims a healthy "work to life" balance, however employees are working from home as late as 4 AM. Sacrificing the needs of their families. This opinion is coming from a former manger.

Advice to Senior ManagementUndergo some serious management training and ACTUALLY follow through with those teachings. You will earn great RESPECT from your employees.

Great work environment

Associate Service Center Representative (Former Employee)
Columbus, OH

I worked at Express LLC part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat atmosphere
Great people who are willing to help you when needed
Flexible schedule

ConsNo succession planning for associate serviec center employees

Good place to work

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Express LLC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of room for growth

ConsPolitical atmosphere is difficult to understand

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower associates

Difficult

Payroll (Former Employee)

I worked at Express LLC

ProsDiscount! Sample Sales! Constantly changing

ConsUpper Management of Finance difficult to work for.

Worked for Express LLC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express LLC reviews and ratings in Columbus, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Express LLC CEO Michael A. Weiss. All 15 reviews posted anonymously by Express LLC employees.