Express Locations

Updated December 31, 2014
Updated December 31, 2014
2.6

CEO

Great culture, fast paced environment, great money and benefits if you can keep up.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Idaho Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Representative in Idaho Falls, ID

I have been working at Express Locations full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're paid for your results, hourly plus commission. Average reps make $30-40K, above average $50-60K, top reps $65K+ (entry level, not management). Very goal oriented, you're held to daily and monthly goals that you set. Daily performance is compared on a stack ranker so it's easy to see what your peers are capable of, what you need to improve on. Top 10% of the company goes on a free vacation to Mexico each year.

Cons

Long hours (expect some 12hr days and overtime during peak times), retail hours offer little flexibility so expect to work every weekend, all weekend.

If your willing to do a job that nobody wants. Adecco is the place to go.

Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Shift Supervisor in New Haven, CT

I worked at Express Locations as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Adecco can find you a job in less than a week. In some cases a couple of days.

Cons

In order for you to go from temp to full time for another company. You have to b there work there for two years plus. The problem is, Adecco wont keep you in one place longer than s.ix months

No Integrity and Culture is just a poster on the wall...

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Can make good money if you don't have integrity.

Cons

Preach a certain culture, but not followed by anyone, especially upper management.

There is very little integrity in this company. 90% of those having "success" don't care about your company or your culture, just care about making money.

A company full of double standards and no integrity!!!

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to talk to people and sell them a great product. Loved having the opportunity to see and learn about all the new phones.

Cons

Where do I start because there are so many cons. How about I start with the pay. Only real way to make money is too either be a top tier rep or a manager at a busy location. Managers better hit all the bonus tiers because if you don't you lose out on 1%. Then your max is 5%. Managers are pushed so hard by their directors to hit goals and are basically told to "find ways to win" which really means I don't care how you do it just get it done. There is so much cheating and fraud going on so reps and mangers can make a check. Then you have owners stitting in their cush office counting all the money they are making while they have hard working reps and managers who can barely pay rent and buy food. Only 20% of the vast work force actually make good to great money. The company changes the pay structure so much. With each comp plan change they find a way to make it harder to hit all your bonus tiers which gives the owners more money in their pocket. I lost total respect for this company. "The company is built on integrity" lol! Sure it is. All Express cares about is hitting big sales numbers at all cost. Sales reps and sales managers mean nothing and that is why there is such high turnover rate of over 50%. Do yourself a favor and work elsewhere. If you want to work for T-Mobile then apply at a corporate location.

Quit telling your managers the same things over and over. The morning sales calls are repetative with nothing new to help managers be better. Upper management should actually go to their stores and help the manager out and coach on the misses instead of threatening to fire them. Upper mnagemeant always talks a big game about how easy it is to hit these ridiculous goals. Well since you (upper management) are so good show the team how it is done. Roll up your sleeves and get on that floor and show them how easy it is pleeeasseee.

Worst Company Ever

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is no reason to work there except to pay your bills. They have a commission structure that will claw back 80% of what you make every month. There is no real training, and unethical sales practices abound.

Cons

Everything. Managers with no experience, lack of inventory, poorly located stores. All contribute to making this job 10 times harder than it should be.

Go to school and take some business classes. Quit trying to steal from your employees, and do some marketing to get people in the stores.

A Company that that is all talk and no family balance or compensation.

Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Retail Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Easy to be promoted to management due to large amount of turnover at the bottom ranks. Friendly owners and upper management who in word really care about people, but the words unfortunately are not backed by action.

Cons

So much talk about work/life balance is mentioned day by day by the directors and owners. I really wanted to believe it, but in reality it isn't the case. I was promoted to management and put a lot of work into getting all the work done needed to succeed.This usually meant coming in 4 hours before the store opened to do a slew of work that T-Mobile wanted done along side extra work that Express Locations wanted done as well. After all of that extra time I still didn't finish all of the needed work and coaching and felt guilty about it daily.

When the store was busy I left 2-4 hours late on a regular basis which left my family without a husband and a father on average about 4 days a week. Originally my management pay was great and my bonuses were relatively high for a retail position. In January however, Express Locations redid the management commission structure which left my pay on par with a Walmart employee with no education or experience. Spending several months listening to my director talk about how if my store hit all metrics the pay would be similar, I pushed through for 3 months. Eventually the long hours, low commissions and constant criticism by upper management that some daily tasks were not done, I made the tough decision to look for another position.

My biggest issue was that after January, management gets paid less than sales reps many months. I was working about 50 hours a week with no overtime since management is salary while my reps got overtime and had higher commissions checks. I was given big goals for hitting data up sells, insurance add ons and accessory metrics that only about 20% of stores hit. The nail in the coffin was when Express Locations started talking money out of my checks for adjustments. When a customer returned an accessory or canceled their unsold data plan or took off their insurance, the store rep and the manager would receive a chargeback. If the charge backs equaled more that 8% then they pulled that 8% out of the reps and managers checks.

Managers who work 50-55 hours a week and sacrifice their time with their family to try to advance their careers need to either have a workload that is equal to their pay, or get paid according to their workload.

Days off should not be spent constantly having to check on employees and updating goals and metrics. This should be done by an assistant so that the managers' families can actually have a day with them completely. Low numbers of employees don't equal more commissions for the small amount of employees, it equals no vacation and long wait times which were frustrating to both employees and customers.

Stop preaching work/ life balance until their is such a thing inside Express Locations. It sets a bad precedent. The goal for turnover was 50% what does that say about an organization?

Good Experience

Former Employee - ASM Retail Sales in Burlington, WA
    Former Employee - ASM Retail Sales in Burlington, WA

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

You get to meet a lots of people and help them to choose exactly what they need

Cons

The push you to much to reach the goals not matter how and I did not like that.

Train with more ethics

Great

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Boise, ID

I worked at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Money and Growth within the company

Cons

Long hours, stressful goals, working weekends, evenings, holidays

Good job

Great Company

Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Express Locations full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great pay, balance of work life

Cons

Long hours, really that is it.

it is ok nothung more

I have been working at Express Locations

Pros

good money
    good benifits
    good enviroment
    t people there are usualy pritty cool with with you and others.
    nothing elce really

Cons

they change the way they pay out to you every 3 months and is has done nothing but made it harder to make sales and make more money