Express Reviews

Updated October 29, 2014
3.1

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 55 reviews)

• Great discount, fun fast paced environment, diverse group, great rewards for top performers (in 54 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 73 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: Don't expect to take lunch and dont expect to be home in time for dinner (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Emoloyee

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, MO

I have been working at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee Discount - Perfect for a part time job

Cons

Many people are very rude when you are trying to follow company policy.

Good company with many opportunities for advancement within the organization!

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people at my location are great, the hours are very flexible! They have some great associate discounts. Positive fast paced environment.

Cons

Always find ways to exclude the associates and management from promotions and next memberships. If I want to make a purchase at a different Express location, be it in state or out, the process is excessive and the thought of it is frowned upon. The location I work at has a very high turn over rate, so there is always someone new! Not a bad thing, but when it comes to training, a lot of associates are being trained by associates that have not been properly trained themselves. Mainly because the company doesn't provide many hours to get new associates trained.

Training should be a priority.

Opportunity for growth

I have been working at Express

Pros

The fashion is great. Fun and competitive atmosphere.

Cons

Company can be very demanding

N/A

Enjoyed my time there.

Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales Lead in Washington, DC

I worked at Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a Full Time Sales Lead, I felt that if there was ever a question of how to do something there was a manual with an answer. They literally give everyone the tools to succeed, and they really make it easy to learn the brand so that anyone can move up quickly. Merchandising is relatively easy since they offer pictures with exact set up, and they carry similar styles every season so it makes is easy to learn.

Cons

I only quit becasue I moved, and I disliked the DM.

Things ran smoothly where I worked. The DM was just the worst.

Sales Associate, fun environment, good interactions.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I had a great team to work with, great managers, and great co-workers. Definitely learned the importance of working as a team!

Cons

Limited in ability to grow.
    Hands are tied when in comes to SHRINK, nothing that you can do.
    The pay is not very good. Minimum wage for a company that sells more expensive clothing.

If you have great management, you can have a good experience.

fun, fashionable, fast paced

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Express full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

great clothes, music, flexible schedule, and you get to meet a lot of great people. they teach you how to do everything, this job has made me prepared to take on anything else in the retail world.

Cons

Last minute changes and sales all the time. Corporate has no idea what goes on at the store level to get it done bc they are so detached from the day to day and what it takes to run the store with very little payroll. Hiring is hard bc they pay so little to assoc

worklife balance could be better and there should be better planning and timeframes to get things done so that it doesn't effect the customer.

Great and Fun Place to Work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I have been working at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

In some other stores it might be different but my managers and sales leaders are absolutely great! It is a fast paced and competitive company that usually promotes from within. Associates start out at minimum wage and then work their way up. It would be a great place for someone to start out a career in retail. The work atmosphere is very fun and you get really good at talking with customers. If you are seriously considering a job here, when you get hired, study the informational booklets very thoroughly.

Cons

In some of the larger stores, they have to do overnight floorsets which last the entire night (paid of course.)

When training employees, show them everything they need to know from the time they clock on, to their sales floor duties, to the time they clock off. Offer more associate learning opportunities.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun, fast paced-environment
    Hands on training

Cons

Not many opportunities for growth.

Thought I found my lifelong career -- what a joke

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a manager, I received a 40% off discount and 55% off once a quarter. Definite perk, but I found myself spending far too much of my paycheck at work.
    Additionally, associates only receive a 30% discount, with the ridiculous over the top coupons the company puts out the customer typically ends up getting a better discount than the associates. Something that is meant to be a perk for associates actually puts them at a disadvantage being that they aren't allowed to use coupons. As if it isn't hard enough to retain talent when you pay minimum wage -- it's laughable.

Cons

Key takeaways

-Little to no training -- This company does absolutely nothing to develop and retain talent, this is found amongst all levels, from PT employees to management

-Extremely unprofessional and caddy environment -- I thought I was starting a new career and instead realized I was extending my stay in high school. A group of very gossipy, vindictive and immature women (And I'm talking about the managers here!)

-Upper management is completely out of touch with store level processes -- they ride you to make sales without bothering to ask what you need to do so.

-DM avoided my store like the plague, even though it did TRIPLE the volume of any other store in her district. Why? Because she didn't get along with the SM and realized she needed to have some tough performance conversations that she didn't want to have.

Get out to your stores for more than a 15 minute visit and get in touch with what's going on with both your employees and yiur customers.
    Chill out with the coupons and stop thinking so short term when it comes to bringing in sales. Example: Company is having a tough week, let's email blast a $100 of $200 coupon with NO warning to the stores to let them plan. The result, stores being understaffed, giving terrible customer service and becoming an absolute mess. Yes, you brought in $$ for the weekend, but in return you turned off every customer that walked in the door due to the condition of the store and those customers won't come back again until you send out another ridiculous coupon. You aren't building brand loyalty.

Both Good and Bad

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Highlands Ranch, CO

I worked at Express part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are young it is a great place to develop relationships with young people. Friendly environment(sometimes catty). If you have a passion for fashion, it's a good place to start.

Cons

Lack of hours. Constant change in management. And inconsistent.
    Something that really bothered me was that they were extremely pushy around the time we would get our paychecks to spend our paychecks on the product.

Provide more opportunities, don't hire managers still stuck in high schools, and please, do make employees feel obligated to spend their paychecks on your product.

Express Photos