Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 9, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros:
  • "The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give"
    in 46 reviews
  • "Great discount-35-45 percent off"
    in 44 reviews
Cons:
  • "They expect a lot of their workers but only are willing to pay basic minimum wage"
    in 53 reviews
  • "I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it"
    in 52 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good Minimum wage Job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Des Moines, IA

ProsPay is acceptable and hours are flexible.

ConsWork is hard, benefits aren't good, and managers are very concerned with sales figures.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter benefits to employees would be nice, 35% on non-sale items isn't very good. Also, it would help moral and frankly help get sales members excited if managers concentrated on what upwelling can do for customers, not just what they can do the company. So for instance, instead of saying, "You should suggest that every woman tries on a Portofino shirt so we make our ADS," the manager could say, "Our Portofino shirts are super popular and every woman loves them, you should make sure that our customers are trying them on, who knows, one of the women may love it and buy three!"

Lots of job opportunities if you work hard

Brand Co-Manager (Current Employee)
    Sacramento, CA

ProsThere is a ton of energy in all the stores and being able to work with people with the same fashion and passions makes work fun. There seems to always be an opportunity to move up or learn a new division of responsibility which makes consistent growth a plus.

ConsMinimum wage is expected at an entry level job however the tasks and energy needed for success here is more then that. Express needs to offer their associates above minimum wage to help keep associate retention.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlanning is difficult in this brand so being proactive versus reactive can be a challenge. My recommendations is to communicate to the store level in a more efficient and timely manner.

Working at express was a positive experience.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

ProsThe interview/hiring experience for me was very simple. Managers appreciated hard work. This was my first retail job and I learned a lot, although I doubt I will use much of what I used in the future. Promotions seemed available for coworkers of mine.

ConsPaid very little over minimum wage. Had one experience where a manager from another store was coming in to open, and was an hour late. Management seemed disorganized. Hours were posted on a week to week basis, and employes had little to no say. Sometimes I was asked to stay later after having already worked 9 hours. There was a lot of pressure from managers (who communicated VIA wireless headsets) to reach our goals during the day.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpress seemed to have a high turnover rate. I would appreciate more loyalty between the company and employees.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great

Part Time Sales Lead (Current Employee)
    Coralville, IA

ProsNice Clothes.
    Nice Atmosphere.
    Good people. Really fun atmosphere. I liked working there a lot and I loved getting deals on hip and trendy clothing that actually looks nice.

ConsSome of the clothes shrinker in hot water. Also, there is no commission. I wish I could've been rewarded for being a great salesman. Although, I wasn't rewarded fiscally, I was rewarded with encouragement and community culture, so that was a plus. It's a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe allow for Commision.

Alright

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReasonably paced environment. Great discount.

ConsMinimum wage pay, stays the same throughout.

Great and flexible company

Prosgreat team gathreings and team building activities

Consthere are no cons, great company

Good place

Associate (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

Prosenergetic sales team and good customer service

Consa little unorganized at times

Advice to Senior Managementdealing with scheduling conflicts better

Express is a great environment to work in, the managers love what they do and always keep you motivated to sell.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Buffalo, NY

ProsThe opportunity to sell high quantities of merchandise.

ConsMinimum wage was an obvious con but regardless I enjoyed working for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep pushing employees to sell and stay motivated

It was fun and good experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIt wasn't just too much work and everybody were around the same age so we could all relate.

ConsHad to work so early as a stocker.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts a good company but should have more bigger sizes.

As a manager I enjoyed living fashion forward and creating displays that were fresh, while driving the associate sales.

Sales Manager/Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Mishawaka, IN

ProsGetting dressed up with sharp yet bold fashion every day was the best part of my job. I was a walking display of ideas and paid to be pretty and accessorize. Working with the team was natural, meaning the associates working were already pro the Express Brand, so demonstrating conversations of suggesting sales was very teachable. I enjoyed the position because it wasn't about working faster or more focused and silent; it was about interaction between people with the same love for fashion, or someone seeking your advice as they adopt their own fashion style. Being energetic is my personality, I love being on a platform where I can share and channel that same energy and grow clientele, thus growing sales. As a leader that was rewarding to grow myself and others both personally and professionally.

ConsSome of the challenges for me was compensation. While employed at Express I also was employed full time as an assistant kitchen manager at Logan's Roadhouse across town. Express was not a commissioned position, I also was paid hourly as the company adjusted some positions to no longer be salary. There also was no bonus potential for my position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a career path and/or course of action for achievement and tentative timeline would be an excellent standard to have available if there are minor details that may be negotiable.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Express CEO Michael A. Weiss. All 579 reviews posted anonymously by Express employees.