Express Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
5.0
David G. Kornberg

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 55 reviews)

• Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Getting paid minimum wage for this job was insulting (in 79 reviews)

• No work life balance -only work (in 28 reviews)

Great management, organized customer approach, fun job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wauwatosa, WI

Pros

Improve your customer service skills, become passionate towards fashion, enthusiastic management. Very flexible with your schedule, they understand you cannot work as much during school period.

Cons

The pay is lower than expected, hours get cut a lot during slow times in the year. From 25-30 hours a week to 10-15 hours.

Advice to Management

The leadership is satisfactory in my opinion.

2. Huh?

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Garland, TX

Pros

The discount given to part time employees is 30% off, full time employees 40% off. There are occasional additional 15% off weekends. There is an exception to what discount is given such as on redline items and when items are on a 40% or above promotion. Very understandable with personal conflicts and will give time off if needed, so perfect scheduling for a college student. Very flexible with scheduling but must give two weeks notice. Always on top of fashion seeing that there's always updates and clothes coming in every month. The only dress code they have is when you wear denim jeans it must be from express and no plain flip flops, nor the plain chucks nor vans for women. So very affordable wardrobe/work uniform.

Cons

There is a rare opportunity of company growth apparently very few selected stores are allow to give promotions to associates. The schedule is only given a week before. If you are part time employee there is much of a gamble for hours & may vary from time to time. Will choose favorites and may treat people differently because of it. The express card is much of a pressure, and may vary your hours.

Advice to Management

When speaking of "going green" and what to do to achieve those goals don't speak of those goals in the fitting room when a customer is in there. Don't be a hypocrite and nag sales associates about talking on the floor about work related issues such as the fitting of a shirt is when you're talking about the polish on your toes. Don't push associates on getting cards, an complain later that they push it.

Loved Express!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Louisville, KY

Pros

There were many aspects of Express that I truly enjoyed. Management was extremely supportive and passionate about the job. I remember one day I was working and having a really bad time with my personal life. I informed my manager earlier in my shift because he was concerned, and at my schedule lunch break, he let my best friend (who worked there at the time as well) take a lunch break with me. That blew my mind because usually management could care less about your life outside of work-Express on the other hand, deeply cared about all of their employees. The attitude of management made Express an amazing place to work for! I was sad to leave when I moved out of the city.

Cons

The only con that I can think of is that the hourly wage for sales associates is minimum wage. If anyone has ever worked in retail, you know that sales associates don't always have the best shifts or tasks! I think that Express did make up for this in other ways-nominating and creating awards for employees, giving away jeans or gift cards, etc.

Advice to Management

The store in Louisville, KY (St. Matthews Mall) is amazing!! Management is incredible!! I have worked at another store in Lexington and hated it because the atmosphere is completely different (unfriendly).

5. Really enjoy my job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Columbia, SC

Pros

Time flies....My managers/ fellow associates are very kind and funny! great leadership!

Cons

They pay, the tasks are sometimes not fun for an associate...dressing manequins, stocking clothes but you have to start somewhere...

Advice to Management

great job

6. Good place to work

Current Employee - Fashion Expert in Grandville, MI
    Current Employee - Fashion Expert in Grandville, MI

Pros

It is a very fun environment, fun associates. The management actually cares about the business and you. Most customers are nice. Great customer service values

Cons

Only managers can be full time, so no benefits for anyone. Also usually short shifts, only 4 hours long most days.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

7. Express is a great environment for growth in sales and advancement in the retail field.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

the discount is great (30% with extra discounts available at specific times- up to 50%), very friendly staff and management team, fairness with scheduling

Cons

they push the credit envelope a little too hard sometimes, closing is sometimes made more difficult than it should be, must request off at least two weeks in advance

Advice to Management

keep up the good work, maybe try to recognize good work of the employees a little more as to set standards that others can try to obtain

8. great atmosphere fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buford, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Buford, GA

Pros

good discount good hours fair management good music sales friendly fair distrubition of labor great clothes good floor coverage overall enjoyable place to work

Cons

communication from management could have been better however a lot of the managers were a joy to work with as well as the store ran very nicely

Advice to Management

communicate better down the latter

Wonderful clothing, people, and service.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Noblesville, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Noblesville, IN

Pros

I enjoy working at EXPRESS because I'm a people person. The reason for going into EXPRESS is to find a fashion forward outfit and enjoy shopping while you are doing it. Everyone I work with always has a great attitude and a hard work ethic. EXPRESS promotes the open door policy and encourages employees to be friendly with not just each other, but the customer as well. EXPRESS is literally one of the best and most exciting companies I have ever worked for.

Cons

The only downside to EXPRESS is the late hours you can work while doing a floor set or flipping the store. Employees can be there until 4 in the morning.

Advice to Management

Between the 2 locations I have worked at, the management is great. Managers always know product and what to piece it with. The training they undergo is blatantly amazing. I really don't think I could ask for better management.

10. Amazing place to work just not the Career for me personally.

Former Employee - Part Time Sales in North Olmsted, OH
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales in North Olmsted, OH

Pros

Some of the best people I've ever worked with. They were truly amazing from the top their to the lowest new hire. Amazingly nice and friendly.

Cons

The customer and thieves were sometimes hard to deal with.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and keep the staff's as happy as possible. Also you may want to invest on getting some more job friendly attire again. I miss the selection of business casual that is slowly being overran by business party.

11. Fashion expert and sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Denver, CO

I worked at Express part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great fashion, great people and

Cons

The pay is not that great

Showing 112 of 1,065 reviews