Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Poorly managed with no respect for hourly associates.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsHard to find any pros... Impossible tasks are given to be able to earn anything. "If you sign 10 people up for the store card, you get a $40 shirt."

ConsNo respect from management. Any problems taken to HR are swept under the rug making you feel as though you have no voice in the matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize you don't make the company go around. The people making minimum wage are the ones who are making you money. Without them you wouldn't be getting your fat check...

Worst company for NON ANGLOS

Talent Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNone there are no pros they offer a good pay for managers but over work you! 6 day work weeks! And once you hit overtime it's supplemental pay so you are basically getting paid 8 dollars an hour!

ConsI've never disliked a job so much and felt so discriminated against

This company does not care about their customers.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDiscount on good clothing. Friendly co-workers, easy on boarding process.

ConsStore is a wreck most of the time. Management only cares about signing customers up for credit cards.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no reason for anyone to have a credit card for this store.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sucked!!

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Cambridge, MA

ProsThe 50% discount at the beginning of each season & 30% after

ConsFavoritism among the employees, given the worst hours every weekend!, short shifts (4 hours), HR manager is so rude, didnt pay enough for treatment

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to be respectful to new employees!

Crazy un classy managers.

ProsI loved the company, the stylist position was amazing due to the fact that I love sealing and styling people. full time benefits

ConsFloor set was horrible there was a time where I worked for 22 hours with only an hour break, horrible distract managers. Floor set was hell! A lot of people would quit because of crazy unprofessional upper management
    Stay away from Timitra at coral square FL, very unprofessional store manager with no class. Talks about all her employees! A lot of people quit because of her.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some respect and open your eyes and see who deserve to stay and who needs to go.

DON'T WORK HERE. This express plays favorites, has buddy system, berating managers and unprofessional work ethics

Sales Associate (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

ProsThe cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give.

ConsUnprofessional staff, works on a buddy system, managers talk badly about sales associates loudly in office where you can hear in the break-room. A manager actually called a former associate dumb one morning in front of me because he was upset they quit, and they will pick on associates just to make someone feel terrible.

If you're an associate on good terms with them they will let you just work in the fitting rooms putting back clothes without having to speak to customers or pretend to have a happy face at all but if you're new or only 2 months in they will constantly get on you for everything including menial things like restroom breaks. For instance, I was the only one who they got on about taking a second restroom break on a 5 hour shift and one of the managers got on my case for asking for a 15 min break on a 5 hour shift.

If you are new to retail experience NO ONE introduces you to fellow employees or what to do in the store. It was painful to have no selling experience and for managers to berate me by speaking to me dumbly (and one manager would just repeat herself to me and be very rude) for not being skilled at selling despite the fact I proved how great I was at running go backs and working in the fitting room. It seemed like they kept me up front just to berate me for my social skills not being as on point as some of the other associates.

It doesn't make any sense how some people got to just run go backs and not talk to customers yet if they aren't fond of you they put you in an area they know you don't excel at without giving positive advice or trying to be understanding if it's your first time working in retail.

The manager was unprofessional when I quit and told me I had bad work ethic yet he was the one who constantly got on me about having breaks when he didn't seem to notice that I always worked 5 hours so of course I deserved a 15. It's as if he didn't know the schedules of his own employees.

It came to a point where I felt so villainized and disliked I had to quit because a particular manager kept raising her voice at me and made me feel personally afraid of being berated in front of customers or other managers on the daily.

They have no sense of privacy and would discuss an associates issues while the store was crowded with customers who were forced to walk around the two knowing full well the associate was being reprimanded by a manager (which is immensely unprofessional).

Conclusively, this Express is infamous for having people quit and needing new associates all the time so clearly this is not just me here in having a bad experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't play favorites so much, you can't grab someone with no sales experience and pick exclusively on them for something as tediously menial as taking 2 or 3 bathroom breaks or constantly selling to customers when you have other associates running go backs without having to talk to customers except when confronted by the customer themselves. If someone doesn't have retail experience you don't have to talk to them slowly and repetitively as if they are a small child. You also stigmatize associates way too much as being readily expendable. I felt so disliked by managers it felt as if it was on a personal rather than a professional level, please remember you are also working under a certain standard and not just your sales associates.
    Luckily for the managers who work here I don't have a medical issue that makes me go to the restroom too frequently, but some people do and if they were reprimanded the way I was or verbally abused over it they could take legal action with this particular Express for not understanding that they have a medical issue. Please try to become a little more professional.

The worst place I've ever worked.

Brand Co-Manager (Former Employee)

ProsUpbeat music, decent clothing discount.

ConsI worked for Express for one year as a co-manager and was hired on to a store that was underperforming in order to try to get the store up to speed. I have never worked for such a volatile and hostile environment in my life. When I got pregnant, they wouldn't let me wear shoes that were accommodating and I got hip dysplasia and still have problems with this after my pregnancy. I experienced on-the-job harassment from managers during my pregnancy in the store as well as from the HR person in charge of pregnancy leaves. I was required to work up to 17 hour shifts and sometimes only had up to 5 hours at night to go home, sleep, and come back to work. I can't say enough about how horrible it was to work here. Lowest payroll hours on the planet, sent people home after working a few hours. HR people were inept, always messing up my health care premiums invoices, and no one could be contacted.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire everyone in upper management that allows this kind of treatment. Employees talked and everyone was aware that whistleblowers were talked about in the office. The managers treated everyone as if they were a suspect if someone complained about management.

I hate sales because of this job..

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsThe best part is the music and the discounts on the products.

ConsTime off, being pushy, daily goal log

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider people that go to school can't work 24/7 and don't get mad when people can't cover shifts

Horrible Experience!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsThe only pro is the good discount.

ConsIf you get a good store with great management you will enjoy your time working here, but is you don't it will probably be a very challenging experience because you will be faced with caddy & lazy managers, not much training being giving when hired, and inconsistent sales associates.
    My experience: This job has been nothing but a PAIN!!!! The managers are very caddy and despite them being older are mentally still in high school. They are quick to judge and antagonize you and they play favorites. Pretty much the only way to move up in this job is if you kiss up to the managers and CSL's, iif you don't then you will get left behind despite your work ethic. There is entirely to much drama & the managers only want to keep it going. Even if you confront them, ask them for help, or let them know about a situation, they turn on you and make it your fault.
    ANOTHER thing is that when the CEO and Regional Managers would let them know that they were coming they would stage the store the way it should be. They didn't keep up with the consistency of it looking nice or flowing well unless someone "important" was coming. I don't think that truly shows the quality of management and how to store is being run if they know that they have someone from corporate coming.
    I also found it to be a bit unethical. They would have associates follow certain customers around, (who were ALWAYS minorities), even though it was against the rules.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should do surprise visits, and talk to all associates to find out what is going on. Not just the associates that the management has strategically set up in store. I think that a way to do this is send people from corporate(of all races and social statuses in various appearances) in as if they were just customers and allow them to have the customer experience anonomously. So they can understand how people are being treated. I also think that they should make themselves more readily available to associates, and pay closer attention to there managers.

Not worth the trouble...

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsDiscount - (30% off)
    Friendly Co- Workers

ConsManagement is horrible and worthless
    Hours are non existent
    Pay is a joke

Advice to Senior ManagementDo your job and manage the store!!

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!