Express

Updated August 17, 2014

3.1

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Slavery

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Edison, NJ

Pros

Great team environment
    Good dress code
    Decent discount

Cons

Minimum Wage
    Ridiculous Expectations
    Poor Quality Clothing
    Unfair hours

Give seasoned associates a reason to stay with your company. This company has one of the highest turnover rates in retail and paying your experienced and educated employees the same amount as someone underperforming is insulting. If scheduled for a closing shift, set to end at 11pm, the employees would frequently still be there until 3-4am with no break given. The store wants to maintain excellent standards and outstanding customer service, but this isn't possible when the company is not willing to invest anything into it. If you treat your employees well, your business will thrive and Express is seriously lacking in this aspect of their company.

Not the best place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

Pros

The clothes are nice, although overpriced. The discount is alright. It's a fashionable environment, very trendy and modern. The music is upbeat and nice to listen to. Influencing customer's fashion decisions.

Cons

There's little to no training beyond the couple of videos they show you during the orientation. Pay is minimum wage despite experience (here it's $7.25 an hour). "Call-in" schedule is a joke. You have to call in to the store 2 hours before you're scheduled to come in, sometimes not being able to make plans with family or friends, just to find out that they don't need you. They severely cut hours after being there for a couple weeks. I started out working 4 days a week, now I work 1, 2 if I'm lucky. Only managers are full-time, therefore, only managers receive benefits. Managers push sales goals and expect you to sell lots of credit cards with little or no help and no praise/recognition. Managers are the ones that benefit from the associates working their butts off. You get reprimanded if a customer doesn't want to sign up for Express Next emails. There's a lot of favoritism. There's not a lot to do and sometimes you're spending hours just fixing the clothes on hangers. Typical day is 4 hours with no break. Discount isn't very much better than the coupons customers get and you can't use it on clearance items. Cliquey environment- very much like a high school. It's not a set schedule hours and days change every week. There's really no opportunity for advancement. They don't really value the customer they value the money they make which never seems to be enough. Pushing un-necessary items onto customers that they don't want or need.

Train your associates and learn to give some praise every now and then. Stop talking about customers over the earpiece it's unprofessional. Don't get angry at associates when customers don't want to sign up for credit cards and emails.

Great is not good enough

Current Employee - Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Benefits
    Overexposure of marketing initiatives
    Design team improved

Cons

Company values
    Personal growth
    Work environment culture
    Work-life balance

Does not value their employees. Turns the other way, when valid concerns regarding company values and policies are broken. Does not compensate well for all the work done on a daily basis.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed with no respect for hourly associates.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Hard to find any pros... Impossible tasks are given to be able to earn anything. "If you sign 10 people up for the store card, you get a $40 shirt."

Cons

No respect from management. Any problems taken to HR are swept under the rug making you feel as though you have no voice in the matter.

Realize you don't make the company go around. The people making minimum wage are the ones who are making you money. Without them you wouldn't be getting your fat check...

Worst company for NON ANGLOS

Current Employee - Talent Manager
    Current Employee - Talent Manager

Pros

None there are no pros they offer a good pay for managers but over work you! 6 day work weeks! And once you hit overtime it's supplemental pay so you are basically getting paid 8 dollars an hour!

Cons

I've never disliked a job so much and felt so discriminated against

This company does not care about their customers.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

Pros

Discount on good clothing. Friendly co-workers, easy on boarding process.

Cons

Store is a wreck most of the time. Management only cares about signing customers up for credit cards.

There is no reason for anyone to have a credit card for this store.

Sucked!!

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cambridge, MA

Pros

The 50% discount at the beginning of each season & 30% after

Cons

Favoritism among the employees, given the worst hours every weekend!, short shifts (4 hours), HR manager is so rude, didnt pay enough for treatment

Learn to be respectful to new employees!

Crazy un classy managers.

Pros

I loved the company, the stylist position was amazing due to the fact that I love sealing and styling people. full time benefits

Cons

Floor set was horrible there was a time where I worked for 22 hours with only an hour break, horrible distract managers. Floor set was hell! A lot of people would quit because of crazy unprofessional upper management
    Stay away from Timitra at coral square FL, very unprofessional store manager with no class. Talks about all her employees! A lot of people quit because of her.

Learn some respect and open your eyes and see who deserve to stay and who needs to go.

DON'T WORK HERE. This express plays favorites, has buddy system, berating managers and unprofessional work ethics

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Antonio, TX

Pros

The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give.

Cons

Unprofessional staff, works on a buddy system, managers talk badly about sales associates loudly in office where you can hear in the break-room. A manager actually called a former associate dumb one morning in front of me because he was upset they quit, and they will pick on associates just to make someone feel terrible.

If you're an associate on good terms with them they will let you just work in the fitting rooms putting back clothes without having to speak to customers or pretend to have a happy face at all but if you're new or only 2 months in they will constantly get on you for everything including menial things like restroom breaks. For instance, I was the only one who they got on about taking a second restroom break on a 5 hour shift and one of the managers got on my case for asking for a 15 min break on a 5 hour shift.

If you are new to retail experience NO ONE introduces you to fellow employees or what to do in the store. It was painful to have no selling experience and for managers to berate me by speaking to me dumbly (and one manager would just repeat herself to me and be very rude) for not being skilled at selling despite the fact I proved how great I was at running go backs and working in the fitting room. It seemed like they kept me up front just to berate me for my social skills not being as on point as some of the other associates.

It doesn't make any sense how some people got to just run go backs and not talk to customers yet if they aren't fond of you they put you in an area they know you don't excel at without giving positive advice or trying to be understanding if it's your first time working in retail.

The manager was unprofessional when I quit and told me I had bad work ethic yet he was the one who constantly got on me about having breaks when he didn't seem to notice that I always worked 5 hours so of course I deserved a 15. It's as if he didn't know the schedules of his own employees.

It came to a point where I felt so villainized and disliked I had to quit because a particular manager kept raising her voice at me and made me feel personally afraid of being berated in front of customers or other managers on the daily.

They have no sense of privacy and would discuss an associates issues while the store was crowded with customers who were forced to walk around the two knowing full well the associate was being reprimanded by a manager (which is immensely unprofessional).

Conclusively, this Express is infamous for having people quit and needing new associates all the time so clearly this is not just me here in having a bad experience.

Don't play favorites so much, you can't grab someone with no sales experience and pick exclusively on them for something as tediously menial as taking 2 or 3 bathroom breaks or constantly selling to customers when you have other associates running go backs without having to talk to customers except when confronted by the customer themselves. If someone doesn't have retail experience you don't have to talk to them slowly and repetitively as if they are a small child. You also stigmatize associates way too much as being readily expendable. I felt so disliked by managers it felt as if it was on a personal rather than a professional level, please remember you are also working under a certain standard and not just your sales associates.
    Luckily for the managers who work here I don't have a medical issue that makes me go to the restroom too frequently, but some people do and if they were reprimanded the way I was or verbally abused over it they could take legal action with this particular Express for not understanding that they have a medical issue. Please try to become a little more professional.

The worst place I've ever worked.

Former Employee - Brand Co-Manager
    Former Employee - Brand Co-Manager

Pros

Upbeat music, decent clothing discount.

Cons

I worked for Express for one year as a co-manager and was hired on to a store that was underperforming in order to try to get the store up to speed. I have never worked for such a volatile and hostile environment in my life. When I got pregnant, they wouldn't let me wear shoes that were accommodating and I got hip dysplasia and still have problems with this after my pregnancy. I experienced on-the-job harassment from managers during my pregnancy in the store as well as from the HR person in charge of pregnancy leaves. I was required to work up to 17 hour shifts and sometimes only had up to 5 hours at night to go home, sleep, and come back to work. I can't say enough about how horrible it was to work here. Lowest payroll hours on the planet, sent people home after working a few hours. HR people were inept, always messing up my health care premiums invoices, and no one could be contacted.

Fire everyone in upper management that allows this kind of treatment. Employees talked and everyone was aware that whistleblowers were talked about in the office. The managers treated everyone as if they were a suspect if someone complained about management.

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!