Express

Updated December 17, 2014
3.2

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount, fun fast paced environment, diverse group, great rewards for top performers (in 55 reviews)

• Semi-decent discount on product when there is an additional employee discount (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 79 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: Don't expect to take lunch and dont expect to be home in time for dinner (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

very nice.

Former Employee - Model in Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Model in Worcester, MA

I worked at Express part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

discounts at the store were nice.

Cons

Hours at the store were hard.

Ok.

Great

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Express part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company fun and great to start a fashion career at. Coworkers are warm and friendly and management is nice. Not much to complain about.

Cons

You really have to stand out to move up in the company. You also have to purchase merchandise to wear to work. Can be costly.

Help employees focus on career development.

Good Company Overall

I have been working at Express

Pros

Great opportunities to move up

Cons

Not great work life balance

good place to work

I have been working at Express

Pros

friendly, good managers, good customer service

Cons

low hours, too many employees, demanding sometimes

more hours, better training

Sales

I worked at Express

Pros

People, clothes, fun, good, short shifts

Cons

Hours, pay, management, rude people.

Never work for (Express)

I worked at Express

Pros

None, you gotta work for $8 an hour with no benefits. Are you really excited about selling clothes? Really? If you don't share a passion for it then you're in for a surprise when you discover how selling clothes is just these people lives. They live and breathe for it. Pathetic.

Cons

Sucks. Awful working environment, you're forced to buy and wear their clothes no matter how ugly of a fit it is.

Overall, the company expects too much out of its employees for what is offered. Mediocre at best.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount is really the only true pro of this company, in my honest opinion. There is a 30% off discount for part time Employees and 40% for Full time, not counting the 15% discount quarterly stacked on top of other store discounts. II think it also may be nice for someone who wants a BABY taste into working retail. That's really the only thing.

Cons

Where to begin?
    -The biggest flaw is definitely the hours and compensation on top of that. Minimum wage wouldn't be so bad if the job could offer more hours. When I was first hired, I was promised 10-15, which isn't even a lot to begin with. When I actually started I got one or two shifts a week, If I was lucky. The shifts would only be 4 hour shifts and the managers would always send me home early so I'd get maybe 6-7 hours week. They didn't want to work with my schedule as I was a student and the fact that I couldn't make enough money to buy a top from the store (Little along make a living) prompted me to leave shortly after. In the two months I worked there, I worked maybe 4-5 shifts.
    -That leads me to another thing, the dress code. It's pretty nice that there's no uniform, but when they expect you to wear Express brand clothes, which are definitely not cheap, it's a problem. There is the discount to help, but when you are working 6 hours a week and getting a paycheck that is like 50 dollars, you can barely afford one outfit, with discount and all. A very contradicting paradox if you ask me.
    -The management. Where I worked some of the managers were just plain rude, made me feel stupid in my first week, and showed very blatant signs of favoritism. A girl who got hired a week before me worked 3 times the shifts me and some of other girls did and she was younger than I was and had told me she had had no job prior, meaning she clearly was not more qualified.
    -They teach you to annoy customers just to get their money and as someone who is currently in management at another company, it appalls me. The company has in their mind that if you stalk customers, pitch sales at them and continuously check on them that it'll convince them to buy more raising the sales. I shortly found out that if someone wanted to be helped, they will come to you for help. If they wanted your input, they will ask. 8/10 times they do not care about what you have to say. A clothing store is pretty straight forward in my opinion, so I found it appalling that the company expected us to be borderline rude, making customers feel uncomfortable just to raise sales. I know it is not the SM and Assistant Mangers faults as they are doing what they are told, but to District managers and corporate, it is something that should be looked over. I understand it is a necessary thing to establish consistent sales, but it is definitely taken overboard, almost liked a commissioned car-salesman.
    -No real chance of advancement either.

If you want more out of your associates, part time specifically, give them what is promised when they are hired. Manage the hours, the favoritism and unprofessionalism a bit better and revise some of the policies, to upper management.

A great learning experience before finding something worthwhile.

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Express full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- It really is a great working environment in terms of associate relations (if your store has a fun management team); I've met most of my best friends working here.
    - You essentially learn everything there is to know about retail, and learn how to do it well. The company has a very high standard, and if you're looking to use your experience as a springboard into another job, another retailers know that.
    - Associate discount is pretty nice: 30% for PT and 40% for FT, once a quarter or so everyone gets an extra 15% off, and you get that on top of promotions (unless the company sends direction that you can't...which happens every once in a while).
    - Benefits aren't too bad, even though sick time isn't included. You're given three to four weeks of PTO every year (if you're full-time), and you'll need to cut into that to hit 40 hours on the week if you miss a day/days due to illness/family leave/etc.

Cons

- Express expects a lot out of its associates and managers but apparently fails to realize it's one of the lowest paying companies as far as specialty apparel brands go. We're expected to hire top talent when all we can offer is minimum wage and maybe 10-15 hours a week.
    - The payroll isn't fair at all. At the managerial level you have absolutely no work-life balance because you can't add on any associates to help you complete the tasks that need to be done, so days can be long.
    - Upper management is generally not supportive. If sales are down one day you're made to feel like it's something you personally are doing wrong. (And on that note, it's a very reactive company. I've seen them end five-day, storewide sales ONE day in based on HALF a day of less-than-average sales and leave it up to the stores to deal with all the marketing changes we just set the night prior...and then they wonder why we're over on payroll.)
    - Strange policies: i.e. we're expected to control shrink but can't technically do anything if we see theft happening (apparently if we give a "great customer experience" shrink won't be an issue...).
    - As with most retail jobs, you likely won't move higher up if you're not relocatable.

At the District level, make sure you're carving out a time to sit down with your managers every so often and ask them how they're doing, what they need to feel more supported, etc. It really would boost morale.

it's a decent part time job

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

i like the discount that we get

Cons

I hate the fact that managers are constantly telling associates how much we need to sell

Decent

I worked at Express part-time

Pros

This a good company to work for if you are starting off. Loved the discounts that they allow you to have. They are usually great people to be around.

Cons

They will overwork you as a part time if you allow them. But nothing major. I don't know if it's a good job to have as a college student.

Express Photos