Express Reviews

Updated September 22, 2014
3.2

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss
Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Great People - Crap hours

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

exciting product, great team-environment, busy, fun atmosphere, great service.

Cons

no hours, temperamental management , language barriers, laziness

Standard retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Discount, cute clothes, fun customers, fun employees. They train you really well and make sure you're knowledgeable of the product in order to maximize sales.

Cons

Benefits and perks are lacking as an hourly associate, I've heard of many other retail companies offering way better perks to hourly sales associates

I worked in an NYC store which is very high volume, so the managers got to be a little over-bearing sometimes. Express is not a luxury store!! Take it easy.

Great is not even good enough

Current Employee - Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Express full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Discounts, improved fashion styles, benefits

Cons

work life balance, company values, abuse of upper management power and unfair treatment

Better compensation for the amount of work that is expected out of your employees. Holding management accountable and treating all employees fairly.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredibly Educational

I worked at Express part-time

Pros

I loved the people, the clothes, and everything I learned. I have taken what i learned in this retail environment on to my career at other organizations. They also recognize hard workers and you have the ability to move up to management. I really enjoyed what i learned here and came out of it with not only great experience but great friends.

Cons

It is retail and the hours are all over the place and it can be an aggressive environment for making sales goals. However, it is retail and that is to be expected.

Great fashion and vision but wrong corporate leadership.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great fast pace working environment and support from a district level. Loved the discount. Great benefits. On point with fashion trends.

Cons

Work-life balance was very demanding with no recognition. Not straightforward about people development or future. Make people a priority, they are the biggest asset.

Reconsider upper management and add stronger core values to make the business successful. Consider more of an internal promotion process and job board. Advancement is on everyone's mind.

Co-Manager

I have been working at Express

Pros

discount, promotions from within, hard to join from the outside world

Cons

no payroll, work long hours, low pay, low volume, nobody buys full proce

restructure payroll, slash prices

Umm...

I worked at Express

Pros

The discount was great, though I never shopped there (and still don't.)

Cons

I couldn't stand the people I worked with. Boy, did they know how to make someone feel small! They suck...

Be nice to your employees, like, really. We work hard. And teach your employees with "seniority" to be nice, too.

Stuck up, Money hungry Employees

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Staten Island, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Staten Island, NY

I worked at Express part-time for less than a year

Pros

The best perk about working there would be the employees discount. It was a nice 30% discount.

Cons

I was not a fan of the assistant managers who hired the new employees. They acted as if they were much better than you and expected you to spend your money in the store and only wear clothing from their current line. Another problem was when you would close the store, you were not allowed to leave until the entire store was perfect. There was one night the store closed at 9pm and we stayed until 5am straightening out the store. We were told we would be rewarded for our hard work but then never received anything.

The management has to be kinder and explain the jobs in more detail to the new employers. They should try to get the staff to be friendlier with each other. Everyone was always very cold and looked at you like you were an outsider.

Waist of time

I worked at Express

Pros

Maybe the discount but that is only because they dont pay you anything worth making a living.

Cons

Minimum wage job that doesn't believe in commission. You will get almost no hours, but I guess that is ok for someone who is really just in it foe the experience.

Pay your employees better and maybe they will make more of an effort to satisfy clientele or more of an effort period! Come on! There are numerous Express stores and the clothes aren't cheap so it can be done.

LOVE my coworkers, HATE management

Current Employee - UNPAID Stylist
    Current Employee - UNPAID Stylist

I have been working at Express part-time for more than a year

Pros

Pays JUST enough for you to afford the clothes. Fast paced, good music.

Cons

Only a 25 cent raise per year, they hire externally instead of internally, NO LIFE outside of the store (including funerals if needed) The only thing that helps keep you sane is if you have great coworkers that you get along with. A LOT OF WORK for little pay.

Higher within your store! Talk to your associates about what would make them happier about working there and RECOGNIZE the potential to move someone up. Stop taking people off the schedule, forcing them to find another job instead of just firing them. PAY MORE!!!!!

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!