Express

Express Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Express President & CEO Michael A. Weiss

Michael A. Weiss

Pros
  • Great discount-35-45 percent off (in 49 reviews)

• The cons outweigh even the positives that the 30% employee discount give (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • I don't like minimum wage and sometimes it can get really hectic with customers (in 62 reviews)

• I would constantly be hounded to sell more credit cards, and borderline harass customers for it (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at Express has its good and bad moments, but nonetheless it is a decent job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Fairfax, VA

ProsWorking there is great and you get to wear nice clothes and meet a lot of new people.

ConsChallenges is working with rude customers, fold an entire table for customers to ruin, close the store until almost 3am, and doing all of this some time for very little money

Advice to Senior ManagementMore pay for associates since we're working for great/expensive clothes.

Express is an excellent company to work for

Co-Manager (Current Employee) Johnson City, NY

ProsStaff works as a team- like family
    Good benefits
    Great employee discount

ConsVery fast-paced environment
    Lots of walking/running around
    Irregular hours

Poorly managed with no respect for hourly associates.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsHard to find any pros... Impossible tasks are given to be able to earn anything. "If you sign 10 people up for the store card, you get a $40 shirt."

ConsNo respect from management. Any problems taken to HR are swept under the rug making you feel as though you have no voice in the matter.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize you don't make the company go around. The people making minimum wage are the ones who are making you money. Without them you wouldn't be getting your fat check...

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting

Sales Leader (Current Employee)

ProsIt's non-comission so there is definitely a friendly, easy-going environment.
    Management takes their team seriously. If you have a question or need to speak to them about anything, they are there to listen.
    A great company to work for if this is your first time working in retail or already have experience in this field.
    Lots of chances to improve/ get promoted.
    Great discount!

ConsThere can be inconsistency in the building sometimes. (high turnover rate)
    Long hours/ less social life
    Last minute changes in schedule can be annoying sometimes.
    Lack in support from upper management at times.
    it can be very stressful/overwhelming for some.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone is doing their best to help make sales quotas everyday but sometimes those "goals" can be unrealistic. Please be aware that not all customers will spend lots of their money or will actually buy something. The customers want to enjoy their experience, not being followed every 5 minutes while shopping there.

Depends on what you do

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe most enjoyable part of the job, ironically, was also the customers. I've met and made plenty of people, made loyal customers come back for more and always had a fun time. Fashion, co workers and discount.

ConsHardest part of the job was dealing with difficult customers and inventory. long hours, no direction/communication.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy experience with Express Fashion was fun and easy although I only worked seasonal I they gave me my first chance to work in retail. The managers are the best and make your working experience enjoyable.

It was alright

Prosdiscount for part-time sales associates, lighting, normal shifts

Consno air conditioning during floor set, feel the need to keep buying new clothes to stay in trend, etc.

Is a great company, and I enjoyed every day I worked at Express

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Scottsdale, AZ

ProsGreat reasons to work at Express is to learn more about costumer experience.

ConsThe challenge of working for Express is the lack of hours to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at Express is great, and keep up the good work.

Great job!

Brand Co-Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThey have excellent benefits, decent salary, and a fabulous discount!

ConsOver nights....no payroll....vacation is very limited, low pay for associates creates very high turn rate, and if you are sick or laid up you are still expected to come to work

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in more payroll! It will only provide more returns to the company

Fast paced environment that have high standards with customer service and visuals

Customer Sales Lead (Current Employee) San Jose, CA

ProsVery fun and friendly people. They work around your availibility for your scheduled hours. Moving up the ladder is easy as long as you stand out from the set of associates.

ConsLong hours, pesky customers, minimum wage for associates

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to keep moving forward and to communicate issues directly

Worst company for NON ANGLOS

Talent Manager (Current Employee)

ProsNone there are no pros they offer a good pay for managers but over work you! 6 day work weeks! And once you hit overtime it's supplemental pay so you are basically getting paid 8 dollars an hour!

ConsI've never disliked a job so much and felt so discriminated against

Worked for Express? Contribute to the Community!