Express Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
843 reviews filtered by

Worst management ever

I worked at Express

Pros

Really good discount, not much else

Cons

Management was all over the place and very non-communicative

Listen to your employees and don't talk behind co-worker's backs in front of employees

2. Overworked and underpaid

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to list, most of the time the promotions are better than the employee discount and can't be combined .

Cons

Extremely overworked just to be paid minimum wage. Very overwhelming because there is no proper training. The clothes are constantly changing so it is hard to ever know your inventory and also because the store is so big. Forced to harass every single customer that walks through the door while more than half of the time the customer doesnt even want your help. You are also forced to memorize the promotions of the day and tell the customer about all of them as they're walking away from you, uninterested. Closing is the worst, you have one hour to fold everything in the entire store by yourself on top of taking out the trash, putting holds/damages in the back, putting sensors back, putting hangers back. There is not enough time , and they also want it done PERFECTLY neat. Its miserable and impossible ! Just another big corporation working their employees like dogs while they make millions.
    I thought I would love this job because I liked shopping there. NO!

Pay what the job is worth. It's worth at least $15 an hour. PROPERLY TRAIN. Also, don't force your employees to harass every customer. Though even with all of that, this job still is miserable.

3. Okay work place...not for long term.

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Sometimes we get a discount of 45% if you're part time and 55% if you're full time per quarter.
    -Some of the people that work there are great....then it all goes downhill.

Cons

-Their pay is not competitive. I've worked for other retailers and this company is pretty bad. They can't expect to get great talent when they barely pay above minimum wage. Express should try to pay their employees better rather than taking constant hits from customers and their coupons. Sometimes the customers with their coupons and Express Next get a better discount than I do.
    -The hours. The payroll they give the store is quite low. Sales associates rarely get more than 4-5 hour shifts a day...or even 20 hours a week.
    -The work environment can be very stressful for a sales lead. They don't pay enough for what I'm expected to do.
    -The job can be very boring. After working here this is the last time I'll ever do retail. The tasks are very tedious and the clothes quality is just okay. Nothing special.
    -Online returns affect your sales segments which I never understood. It should only affect your segment if it came from the store the items were bought from. I believe this should change.
    -Sometimes very mean, rude customers can in the store and talk down to you. I'm not even able to stand up for myself which is appalling.
    -No benefits if you're part time. Sometimes I even get 30-35 hours a week. I don't get health insurance, dental insurance or paid time off. This is a huge factor in me finding another job.
    -The management can be very cut throat and talk about each other behind their backs. If thats really the way to make yourself look better than someone else, you've already failed.

-Get over yourself, don't say bad things about sales associates or others the management team behind their back. Its just low and immature. Last time I checked I graduated high school a few years ago.
    -At times its also very hard to make sales goals when in the past couple years the internet sales have been increasing. When stores and online stores have the same sales going on, a lot of people will gravitate towards online shopping.

5. Worked for this company for years. Ha great time with staff, but had no personal life.

I worked at Express full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The best part of this job was the discount. Great job for Holiday work.

Cons

Extremely long hours, no personal life. The company owned every part of your life.

Most stores employee straightt out of college, management experience lacking.

6. Fun, Flexible hours, schedule changes got me feelin some typa way doe

Current Employee - Model/Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Model/Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, good co workers, management is friendly, health insurance for full time (I was part time), 30% off store, which is a lot for express

Cons

Sometimes management screws up, and they blame it on you. Minimum pay while other stores or restaurants offer more per hour.

don't last minute change someones schedule in the middle of the week

7. Great company!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Memphis, TN

I worked at Express

Pros

Discounts were amazing! Fun atmosphere and I loved my customers. Always trendy and fresh!

Cons

Long hours and constantly changing promotions. Especially during the holidays but that's retail!

Let employees use coupons

8. Express is a good company, I've never had a bad experience with the company.

Current Employee - Express Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA
    Current Employee - Express Sales Associate in Sherman Oaks, CA

I have been working at Express part-time (less than a year)

Pros

They really care for their customers and consistently encourage excellent customer service.

Cons

Call-in shifts, you have to wait around to see if you have to work.

9. Great Place to Work!!!!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Madison, WI

I have been working at Express part-time (more than a year)

Pros

You're surrounded by people who are very professional. They still somehow maintain functioning like a big family. If you are good at being happy and welcoming and isn't afraid of communicating you'll do just fine! When hired your first purchase is 50% off and afterwards you get 30% off on all things excluding watches and clearance items. You aren't required to wear Express but the clothes you do wear have to look like it's from Express.

Cons

The pay is not the best. it's minimum wage :(

Felt taken advantage of and was constantly belittled

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Express

Pros

Good discounts on clothing, especially on certain weekends when we got extra discounts. Relatively flexible on what we wore to work

Cons

Unrealistic expectations for shipment processing from the box out to the floor (110 units/hour is impossible unless you're sprinting and sweating), I wasn't properly trained and was expected to pick things up and know things on my own, belittled for asking questions, management was constantly gossiping about the Sales Associates. I never felt appreciated or included while working there, and despite being a hard worker and always trying my best, I felt disliked by the managers.

Treat your employees as people, and be more understanding to the fact that we are only human

11. assciate

I worked at Express

Pros

none none none none no pros

Cons

profile everyone who comes in

Express Photos