Express Scripts

Updated August 22, 2014
2.2

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 92 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance for anyone, even for direct supervisors (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Self-absorbed mgmt while employees tirelessly work for customers

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great pay and bonuses.
    The people in the trenches trying to help the customers are hard working and passionate.

Cons

Mgmt spends it's time trying to figure out how to increase their own pay, cut employee costs, and buy another company.
    Work life balance is a buzz word only. For a company that prints money the benefits (outside of pay) are weak. Just 6 holidays? Company tries to grow thru acquisition instead of improving employees and processes. Loyalty is purchased so workers burn out or get frustrated or both. Contractors are abused.

You wouldn't have such a large knowledge gap within your own systems if you spent time helping your employees. Instead of kicking down and kissing up, take responsibility for your failings and make it right. Stop blaming others.

HR was horrible

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good work experience, good coworkers and good benefits

Cons

HR was horrible. I needed to go out of town for a family members funeral and HR had me get a program from the funeral. When I returned the program to her she asked "how do I know this is your relative.?" It was absurd. Nobody should be treated that way when a family member has passed away. Have to plan far in advance to take PTO. High turnover.

Dollars first, people and members second with the attitude that all people are expendable.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are devoted to the customers they serve, but that devotion is not supported by management unless it provides the maximum dollars for ESI.

Cons

Long hours with little reward for the effort. Low life/work balance. The company 'lays-off' the lower 5% of each division each year.

People are not expendable

Moving Backwards

Current Employee - Pca in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Pca in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, great PTO...it says I must have 5 words.

Cons

Stressful work environment now building on fear. Workers are torn apart by and then work under constant threat. Very negative anti patient care focus. Getting back to " the patient is always wrong" thinking. BS the caller with a smile.

Could be a great place to work, if your not in IT

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay was ok, benefits average.No real on the job training. Since ESI bought out Medco, and adopted Medco's IT platform everything is done in India. Just enough IT done here to satisfy the ONshore laws concerning DOD.

Cons

No work lifer balance. In my department, call in sick and you are asked to work from home.

Hire some US Employees

Corporate job where you are a number and part of a big machine

Current Employee - Resolution Team Lead / ASC in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Resolution Team Lead / ASC in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Job Stability as long as you meet call metrics if in call center and meet unrealistic goals. Company is not going anywhere.

Good Benefits, 401k match, employee stock programs

Cons

Management has no idea what you do. They only are about saving a dime not about what is practical and realistic. Job itself I can relate to PSD (Post traumatic stress disorder). I have seen this company change people for the worse and destroy who they once were. When I left it took me 2 years to un-program what the company did to my mind and well being. I worked for the company for over 9 years and I am still not the person I was before I worked for ESI.

Management needs to put themselves in the shoes of their employees and understand what they face on a day to day basis. When the economy was failing express scripts who whose says they are committed to people laid off hundreds of people and sent those jobs to Manilla, Philippines. I was stunned that a company that was thriving was more concerned about making more money (when they were already #1 PBM in the industry) by sending jobs to another country to save more money. If was ashamed of where I worked at that moment.

A total graveyard. Stay away.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great colleagues who support each other.

Cons

This is the worst work culture I have witnessed in any corporation in the past 25 years.
    The Bloomington MN office is a meat grinder and everybody is expected to work through their vacation time. Allocation of projects is ridiculous. Some folks have up to 5 projects. Managers/supervisors typically yell at people and overall there has been a culture of management by fear.
    Government Programs - Claims is internally referred to as a graveyard. Enough said.

This is unsustainable. You are running out of quality people that are willing to do work with you. Stop the toxic practices and hire authentic leadership.

IT Engineer

Former Employee - IT Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - IT Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Environment was flexible and i could work at home if needed. Employee/co-workers were all top rate individuals.

Cons

Company wasn't opposed to laying off quality employees. They would call workers when the were on vacation. They would take away vacation at the last minute. They always asked last minute for people to work a weekend and people were frowned upon if they did not volunteer.

Consider work / life balance more.

Terrible company

Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits and 401k match were very good.

Cons

everything besides benefits, horrible starting pay, low raises, treated like a slave, do not care about helping customers and only care about making sure Average Handle Time is low. Getting belittled by customers because company is inept.

No Defined Goals

Current Employee - Associate IT Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Associate IT Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work environment. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Constant change in goals. No root cause fixes implemented. Always revisiting reoccurring issues.

Listen to your employees to resolve reoccurring problems.