Express Scripts Reviews

Reset
1.5
Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Work from home sometimes is good (in 49 reviews)

• The pros is that it has good benefits and there is some flexibility in start times depending on where you work (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • ZERO work/life balance - if you mention the term " (in 92 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance for anyone, even for direct supervisors (in 29 reviews)

No opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Biling & Reimbursement Specialist in Warrendale, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Biling & Reimbursement Specialist in Warrendale, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

benefits are good, great PTO time, close to home

Cons

Lack of communication with processes, no opportunity for advancement and i have been with the company 16 yrs, clearance is cluless, annual bonus stinks for as much work as we do, pay is under average for current position

Advice to Management

Comunication is key, dont hold back employees from advancing because they are good in their current position. Know the procses of job functions. Management implements changes without even knowing departmental job function

Unrealistic Expectations

Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work from home, I get paid and I have benefits. The time off accumulation is probably second best to working at home. If I was in the office I would have quit a long time ago. The first 4 yrs you get 160 hours each year of Paid Time Off and it rolls over. Probably the best part of the job.

Cons

You have to be a rock star with no life (meaning working the voluntary OT) or be the bosses favorite. Even then you aren't exempt from getting scolded. The company as a whole isn't awful but its not great. In the four years I've worked at ESI (first Accredo then Medco, now ESI) I have had 4 different supervisors because they are always changing what the think isn't working. Always moving people or coming up with new ways to "help" you collect on claims. Every company has policies in place, steps they have to follow but at ESI we are supposed to demand the insurance companies to do what we say and if we can't, we have to get our supervisor to do it for us. Its all about meeting that cash goal, that as said in other comments, is always higher and is never attainable. If we don't meet the cash goal set by upper management then we are in this hand holding match where they ask over and over "what can we do to help" but if you say anything you are passive aggressively attacked. Or condescendingly told how you are wrong. I have never felt so incompetent in any position ever. Even if you do well its "that's great but why aren't you doing it all the time". Its never enough and there's too many cooks in the kitchen trying to help or fix the issues.

Outside of that the business process we have to follow change so often always trying to make it better or easier but really don't change it if it works. We just learn it and get used to it then it changes. Then we get reprimanded for not following the new process or policies. And you better believe that's going on your annual review. I like this motto: keep it simple stupid. This company needs to follow this more. It makes our job harder and more time consuming to have to continuously look for the newest way to do what we need to do to get a simple task done. Changing something in the system that's wrong could take months!
    I work on a specific group of insurance carriers and those patients under that insurance for any/all drugs that are sent out. Would you believe we, as in the collections department just found out we don't have contracts with not one but two insurance companies and we NEVER did! and we have been servicing patients for YEARS under these carriers. Are you kidding me?!? Now I have to tell patients they have to get theirs scripts somewhere else because we don't have a contract with those carriers so they aren't obligated to pay us. Uhm... And I'm the incompetent one? how did we not know this sooner. It happens all the time with errors that go on for years that one day someone says holy crap how are you still in business with stuff like this. I wouldn't get my scripts there but I have to or I have to pay full price elsewhere. Don't work here and don't use their service it's awful. I spend most of my days fixing mistakes we as a company made and trying to get money for it. Pure Greed should be their motto.

Advice to Management

The resolution: stop badgering. Hounding us daily drives down morale which drives down quality and quantity of productivity. Stop having meetings every week to say we aren't doing it right, and how you help us do our job better. And I'm talking team meetings... with people on my team who have been with this company for 10+ years! Who will text each other saying how absurd the meeting is and how ridiculous their demands are, saying if we are that bad fire us all. We are that backed into a corner, we are literally waiting to be fired. Part of us hopes it happens. Obviously we won't quit, we have too many years invested to walk away from the pay level we finally got to and time off saved. They are literally talking to us as if we just learned how to play baseball but we aren't performing like Babe Ruth. We are Babe Ruth's just let us get back to the basics stop with the reports and meetings. I understand product out means money in and if that doesn't happen it hurts the bottom line but let's get back to the basics of our job, stop trying to fix it and let us work. I'm so stressed nearly every day because we aren't meeting their expectations. I take pride in what I do, but they won't let me do what I do because they keep stopping us to remind us how we are failing. And I don't mean me, its all of collections at ESI that has to deal with this. Some supervisors are better at delivering this "your incompetent" message where others like the one I have, make your life living hell because no matter what you do its never good enough.

I feel sorry for the patients

Current Employee - IT Support in North Versailles, PA
    Current Employee - IT Support in North Versailles, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great co-workers, decent pay till wage freeze

Cons

This company does not care about the patients at all. We used to go above and beyond to get the pt there medication. Not any more. If u can't reach md we cancel the order. Or as we're told "kill it". All express cares about is the stupid boards. Ask the people who do the job instead of dictating.

Advice to Management

Listen to what the people doing the job are telling you.

worst company i have EVER worked for in the many years that i have been working.....if you are thinking of applying.run

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Versailles, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in North Versailles, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

other than in the general area of where i live, nothing.......medco employees are the best thing this comany has going for them.....

Cons

trying to run a pharmacy like an assembly line does not cut it..these are people's lives we are dealing about. they do not care about the customers, just meeting numbers, that's all that is important to them....loosing experienced and talented employees daily who ethically can not work like this......would never recommend this company to anyone!!!! horrible

Advice to Management

wake up......stop making "rules" and metrics that can not be reached and realize that these employees have been doing this job for many years without your "run the business boards" and all the other nonsense that is in place.......like robots who do not listen to anything you try to address......engineers trying to run a pharmacy......ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Working at express scripts for over a year, legacy medco employee for 10 years

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Still have a job. Good 401k plan.

Cons

Pay freeze. Insurance premiums increased with higher deductible. You are expected to output over 100 scripts an hour or be put on a probation program. Quality is suffering, which hurts the patients. Stress is very high. Getting to the point where I don't want to go to work. We also had a new hire group start with 20 people, we have 5 left that made it. I read that Express is planning on hiring 1,500 people for their St Louis plant. They better hire 5,000 people to start, maybe by the end of probation they will have the 1,500 people they claim to be looking to hire. Be ready to work like crazy for a sub-par paycheck.

Advice to Management

Get realistic expectations. We are human beings, not machines. We helped you get that huge bonus, now take care of the little guy and give us a piece of the pie too.

The Jury is still out

Current Employee - St Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - St Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

ESI management is very unqualified..MSH management will be called upon to make the big decisions..PTO time is generous.

Cons

Very long hours. There is no balance vs. company and home life. Too many egos in upper management to make it a cohesive environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people that are doing the work.....Don't sit back and wait to "scream" at someone.

manipulative horrendous unconscionable place to work

Current Employee - Calling Tech in North Versailles, PA
    Current Employee - Calling Tech in North Versailles, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

2 breaks and a lunch I worked for FlexRX. then Merk bought us out then medco came on board then it was just Medco.everything was good.

Cons

the merger with express scripts has been extremely stressfull for all involved.We have seen some nice people loose their jobs.Supervisers pharmacists and techs gone.George Paz has no idea how to run a pharmacy he's just a business man who's only concern is how much money he can stuff in his pocket.The CEO has fired $1million in people at the north versailles Pa facility then hired 2 schmoes to run the facility like its a production line.Numbers are the bottom line.How many you do in an hour. When calling adoctor or patient every call is scrutinized.Every word and pause and breath is scrutinized .We actually get REPORT CARDS on our calls.Points taken off if we paused too long or short. And now these schmoes they hired have RUN THE BUSINESS BOARDS which have turned out to be the biggest joke on the face of this earth. The moral at this facility is at below rock bottom.I don't believe there is one happy employee except the 2 schmoes they hired to RUN THE BUSINESS .

Advice to Management

Stop manipulating the employees it bad for moral. We are not stupid we know when you are manipulating . Learn how to RUN A PHARMACY one that cares about its customers and employees. you should be concerned about the moral your employees are having stress health issues. Change your ways of doing business you are not helping your customers or employees. If you continue this way you will continue to lose business .

Modern day sweat shop

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay put in place by Medco with backing of union,Medco union contract with raises,bonuses,and ample time off. Job was good before merger with esi.

Cons

Everything esi. HORRIBLE management by the esi team. Realigned shifts with no regard to people's family lives. No compassion. Unreachable goals set to push employees to complete 100+ Rxs an hr with less than 3 errors a week, 8-10 hrs a day 5 days a week extremely unhappy employees . Miserable work environment. Only reason to stay is its hard to find jobs in this economy, anti anxiety meds to get you thru work week . Would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

Advice to Management

Treat us like adults, not children. As far as the CEO and upper management , remember there are people working for you, not robots. People have families ,treat them as you want to be treated, sadly we are just a number to you.

Showing 8 of 1,172 reviews