Express Scripts

Updated September 30, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 45 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 83 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

Patient care advocate

Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work from home
    Family environment
    Good hours
    Pay
    Good company

Cons

Changed position on us
    Pay

Use to be great...

Current Employee - RTL
    Current Employee - RTL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best (and only reasons) to work here, is for the benefits. ESI does offer great benefits for its employees- medical, dental, 401k, etc...

Cons

ESI does not give two craps about their employees that are under managers. Call takers- whether 1st line PCA's or the escalation line of RTL's- are treated as if we don't matter at all. They don't care about work/personal life balance. The micromanage every tiny aspect of everything. God forbid you want/need to go above and beyond for a highly escalated member and need to spend an extra minute or two on the phone. Before the merge with Express Scripts, Medco cared about their employees and it showed! Since the merge, we can see such a huge difference in the way we are treated and managed. Most of the 'good reviews' are from upper management or people that don't deal with the #1 reason there's a company at all- patients.

I understand that ESI and Medco are two different companies, and there's a reason why ESI was able to buy out Medco, but at some point, you must recognize that a happy employee is a good employee. I use to love my job and what I did and for the company I worked for. Now, I cringe when people ask me who I work for, as I fear that the person I'm talking too might be a patient with ESI and they'll start telling me about how much they hate our company (which happens much more often NOW than it ever did with Medco).

Patient counseling Pharmacist

Former Employee - Counseling Pharmacist  in  Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Counseling Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Extensive experience with patients medical profiles and medications, ability to detect gaps in therapy and to interact with patients and different healthcare providers

Cons

challenges every day with newly developed medications information and added responsibilities to the pharmacist

Hiring more managers to meet all business needs and increase training of pharmacists to keep up with fast uisness

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great co workers who are dedicated and care about doing a great job and keeping members happy. The benefits are great and working from home a huge plus!

Cons

Getting upper management to listen to those in the trenches on the front line. We may be in the trenches at the bottom of the food chain but we know our jobs and need to be involved in true focus group sessions in which upper management can truly see how it's done. Anyone can manage a department or company but a smart executive will demonstrate a true desire to listen to those who do the job everyday and will value contributions of those on the front line to improve service to clients and their members. Happy employees will be loyal, work even harder!

Listen to your employees and truly show them how much you appreciate them by listening to them and involve them in certain decision making processes. Show company wide that their contributions were used to improve efficiencies and service! Employee of the quarter nominees are usually higher level but why not recognize employees of the quarter at each site or let site management do at their level to give lower level personnel a chance to shine! Employee rewards program is nice and offers a great selection of items that are really rewarding but takes forever to get anywhere to earn enough points to redeem for anything.

Fine if you dont mind getting screwed over.

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate  in  Saint Marys, GA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at Express Scripts as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun co-workers
    Good health benefits for cost
    You earn pto quickly

Cons

Constantly yelled at by patients when you cannot break policy
    Hard to use earned pto
    24 hour centers make balanceing home life harf
    Very few advancement opportunities

Do a pcas job for a month.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I worked from home and the flexibility was incredible.

Cons

Not having a site to report to for training made training difficult when merging with Medco.

Completed trainee program.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Lake Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Intern in Lake Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Meet a lot of people and involved in different projects.

Cons

Lack of career development for entry level people.

I love working for the company

Current Employee - Pca  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pca in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love the fact that I have a direct outcome on helping each patient

Cons

need to be more patient and employee focused

need to be more patient and employee focused. Give us the opportunity to really service the patient during the first call...First call resolution..

Why People Don't Like Working at Express Scripts

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

A lot of good people sprinkled throughout. A very nice bonus program and an excellent 401k (6% company match).

Cons

I spent nearly a decade working for Express Scripts, which made it a very difficult decision when I recently left the company. For most of those years, things weren't bad (although there were certainly were frustrations). However, the culture has become very, very sour after the Medco merger 2 years ago, and good people have been leaving in droves ever since.

The internal politics at the company have gotten so thick that it is nearly impossible to get anything done. On one hand, you have the legacy ESI folks, many of whom have grown up with the company. On the other hand, you have the legacy Medco folks who remain resentful that their company got bought, and who seem to have an unhealthy distrust for anything coming out of St. Louis. The two companies continue to operate under the ESI umbrella, and they both have some representation in leadership. The sad part is, that the two sides don't cooperate at all, and tend to sabotage each other at every opportunity. Cooperation is rare, and senior leadership doesn't force either side to compromise or take direction.

If you come up with a better way of doing things at ESI, it will be fully your responsibility to convince *everyone* in the east and the west that the change needs to happen. Unfortunately, this is an impossible task due to the amount of red tape involved, and the ongoing divide between the legacy companies. From an IT perspective, this means that their technology stack is completely antiquated, and there is little hope of moving the company forward. This also leads to a situation where nearly everyone believes that the company doesn't value them at all, and it has become incredibly difficult to do a good job and make things better, even if you want to. This unfortunately leads to a situation where very few people work hard at all, and almost nothing ever gets done.

All of this frustration has led to an environment where a sense of discontent permeates through the hallways. Behind closed doors, most employees have very little respect for the company or for senior leadership, and things seem to only be getting worse. When surrounded by such negativity day after day, it really starts to affect your mood and outlook, even when you aren't working. To make matters worse, many talented people have already left the company, and because of a sour reputation around town, replacing them with talented individuals has become nearly impossible.

From a culture perspective, there is virtually none at ESI. Very few people get together outside of the office, and the only company get-togethers are formulaic employee-only lunches (one in the winter, one in the summer), where drinking is prohibited and families aren't invited. The St. Louis offices are in a terrible part of town, and most people look forward to leaving the area as quickly as possible after the work day.

ESI is long overdue for some new blood in senior leadership positions. Your employees are not happy, and there is a reason why ESI is routinely voted as one of the "worst places to work". Leadership needs to set company direction and make sure that it is followed. The constant in-fighting between the East and the West makes everyone miserable and prevents progress.

Seems like an interesting company to work for...

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

PTO, tuition assistance, health insurance, health savings account (HSA), 401 K, etc.

Cons

Some training and some company values.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!