Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz

George Paz

Pros:
  • "You have the ability to work from home or anywhere, even on vacation"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match"
    in 32 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is the biggest issue for most people since there is none"
    in 63 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your"
    in 21 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not the same as Medco

Senior PCA (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a fairly easy job taking customer calls.The pay will now be the same as other customer service jobs in the same field.

ConsThis company only looks for cost savings and does not handle situations logically. I previously worked for Medco before Express Scripts purchased them and Medco paid a much higher salary, had better benefits and was more concerned with getting things handle properly as opposed to looking out for profits first then the patient.

Director at Express Scripts

Director (Former Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsTo some extent, Express Scripts is a "meritocracy," work hard, get promoted. ALL the offices are the same size and there are no assigned parking spaces, no matter what level. This may seem petty, but its an important aspect of the culture. Bonuses can be lucrative based on company performance.

ConsExpress Scripts is a very political place to work. At a certain level, employees spend a significant amount of time managing PERCEPTIONS of themselves and their performance, as opposed to their actual performance and outcomes.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership should consider the effects of the performance evaluation system, especially the impact is has on the achievement of "real work."

Destructive/Debilitating Performance Evaluation Process

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits package is slightly above-average relative to the industry. Annual bonus payouts can be generous based on individual and organizational performance.

ConsMost of the negative feedback I'd like to share revolves around the annual performance evaluation process, which forces the workforce into Stretch (20%), Target (70%) and Threshold (10%) categories. As a people leader, I was constantly fighting with Sr. Leadership to keep my staff from receiving a Threshold rating, just because Sr. Leadership needed to fill up the Threshold "bucket". Several years in a row, I was forced to rate certain of my direct reports as Threshold performers, even though I recommended them to receive Target or Stretch ratings. This system prevents employees from being fairly and accurately evaluated, and leaves employees feeling that, no matter how hard they work, the forced ranking system dictates your performance outcome, not your actual performance. Every Manager I knew felt the same way. This totally dysfunctional system breeds an excessive, unnecessary level of competition among colleagues, and others simply lose their desire to do a good job. For years, I thought ESI represented the culture of modern corporate America, and that any Fortune 100 company would likely hold similar values. Now that I'm working for another Fortune 100 company, I can say with confidence that ESI is the exception, and that there are still large American corporations willing to put employees first. ESI is a miserable place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaz is the biggest proponent of the broken performance evaluation process in the organization. His executive staff needs to buck up and work to help him understand how debilitating the current system is, and propose alternative methods for more accurately assessing and rewarding employees for their endless, thankless work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great team, but problems with company as a whole

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsI had a great team with great senior management who did not worry about micro managing and gave you some space.

ConsEver since the merger, things have gotten very political and the cost cutting has forced good people out of the company.

Advice to Senior Managementworry about keeping the talent that you have and have better employee appreciation.

"Oh for the days gone by"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Company is an industry leader, the compensation is ok, the values are to be admired.

ConsThe culture dictates eminent burn out. The compensation has decreased for legacy Medco Employees and the incentive for excellence and growth have diminished.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider treating the employees like they are your number one investment. The residual would be endless. Beef up your rewards programs in the sense of having a pulse on the production and value of each individual. PBM is too savvy to be treated like a factory. This is why the quality of work is falling.

ProsGood Benefits and talented staff

ConsLack of Work and Life Balance

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Customer service manager

Manager (Current Employee)
    Irving, TX

ProsGood salary. Ok schedules good bonuses.

ConsPoor communication across organization. Poor executive leadership. No commitment to employees or client strictly about the bottom line.. No true leadership development . The company does not have a good training program for their new hire resulting in huge turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to take a closer look at Medco,s business model. You will continue to lose big clients and talented employees by the way you do business

Good Intentions, Failed Execution

Account Management (Current Employee)

ProsGood Salary, Good Benefits, Strong sense of unity, good value prop, most people who work for Express Scripts are highly skilled, and want to do well. Strong mid level leadership.

ConsSilo-ed approach to problem solving, Grown too big to adequately sustain strong customer focus. True concern for member and client experience has taken a back seat to clinical innovation and grabbing for more market share. There is a "culture of fear". Most employees are afraid to ask, tell of share, and most of the time the person who matters (leadership) is too busy to actively listen.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your clients, and focus on making things easier for patients. A better patient experience generally means happier clients, and thus happier ESI employees. Anyone can make something complex...the challenge is to make something simple and reliable.

The management that was there when I left was awesome

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
    Fairfield, OH

ProsThe benefits were very good back then in 2012 and I cannot say enough about the management. Most were very helpful when facing difficulties

ConsYou had to be careful of your associations. I did not like when people talk behind others backs

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be fair to everyone not just the ones who do more productivity.

Great benefits, set schedule, difficulty moving up within the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe company offers a set schedule, great benefits and the satisfaction of knowing that you are helping a patient obtain their medications. Great for someone in school.

ConsLittle flexibility in schedule unless determined upon hire.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!

Express Scripts – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​You Belong Here​​​​​​ ​​​​​If you value work that offers meaning and want your career to make a difference in peoples’ lives, you belong at Express Scripts. We have the talent, resources and ability to lower… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express Scripts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Express Scripts CEO George Paz. All 672 reviews posted anonymously by Express Scripts employees.