Express Scripts

Updated January 28, 2015
2.2

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 92 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance for anyone, even for direct supervisors (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

I pray for strength every time I go to work

Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Coworkers help each other out

Cons

Management doesn't listen to their employees

Lsten to the employees and what's the use of the management cards. The people working are adults not in preschool

The best thing I did was Leave

Former Employee - IT Director
    Former Employee - IT Director

I worked at Express Scripts full-time

Pros

I managed a great team of people and created innovative products. Benefits and salary were reasonable, twenty six days of paid time off

Cons

First I needed to rank people who performed above my expectations as threshold employees, and then I watched my peers and managers re -rank those people so that employees in St Louis were ranked higher than others.

Buy out Daughtry and make them ESI employees or fire all of them. Those consultants run the company and always have managements ear, they might as well be held to the same standards as employees. Secondly, every ESI employee that reports to a consultant manager (and there are many of them) should be immediately transferred to an ESI manager, it's just an embarrassment.

It has some perks but management don't care about you

Former Employee - Technology in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technology in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

* Decent benefits
    * Matched retirement savings
    * Poor performers are often bought out with VERY generous packages

Cons

* Zero work life balance - Think about working every weekend, at night
    * Management are largely indifferent to employee well being
    * Incompetence is often met with promotions and raises (think Dilbert)

Wake up. The more you foster internal fighting with your employee bell-curve grading system, the sooner you will meet your downfall.

If you recommend this job to a friend they might not be your friend after that.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Tech in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay about Average for the job so if average pay is good for you might want to work here Some of the best people I have ever works with. They are going to a 4 day 10 hour day but its going to a 7 day work week and as of now we don' t have the people to do it . 401k is average, Health insurance is middle of the road,

Cons

A business run by Larry , Moe, and Curley . . The company seems to be adrift in not knowing what they need to do to run a business, If you like working with a company that never tell you all the info about whats going on come here and get a job. if you take Meds you will find it cheaper on some to get them at Walmart then Here

You need to tell those people you tell to right a good rating on here it would look better if they said what job they did or at least where they are doing, Looks funny if you have them write a review how great it is but don't even say where they working at. Hire the help we need to do our job and

Liste, make changes, or people will start leaving

Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

None the company is clueless and all about the bottom line

Cons

They don't care, all lip service, no accountability, too many over seas contractors, that you can never get ahold of and if you do you don't unerstand them, no one wants to help you, they close tickets b fore the issue is resolved, lip service and nothing has changed, I. Tired of the promises

Wake up, take off the rose colored glasses, listen to your employees and make the much needed changes or this company will go down fast!

Get Real

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Decent benefits, including paid time off accrual

Cons

The CEO needs a semester at charm school - he's a stumbling, ad libbing mess in front of his employees. And he's unable to handle a merger - if this co. ever purchases yours, run away. Performance reviews are an absolute joke - just a tick mark on a manager's checklist, yet the CEO insists it sorts the good from the bad. And communication with employees is simply awful; they distribute plenty of slogans, apparent pats on the back, and glossy web pages with smiling faces; but real info is never disseminated in any formal way. What Fortune 25 company loses top execs after less than a year - and never announce it internally!

Find a chief executive who deserves the post

Unhappy employees, very dissatisfied clients and constant turmoil pretty much sums up life at Express Scripts

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good 401k with company matching, pretty good benefits, PTO accrues quickly (good luck using it), good bonus potential, nice colleagues from both legacy companies.

Cons

OVERWORKED! I haven't worked less than a 60 hour week in over a year. The culture at ESI has become insanely toxic and the morale among staff is at an all time low. In 18 months,15 employees in my immediate department have resigned. That's 15 people out of about 45.....in less than two years!! Management can not and should not be trusted at ESI. They are only looking to save their own jobs, and will do and say anything in order to do so. It's a shame because this company could be great, but I don't see things improving anytime soon. The lack of work/life balance, the constant lay offs and the adversarial culture at ESI can only mean things will get worse.

Not going in the right direction

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Work life balance is ok.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to remember that IT is at the core of everything we do. Funding for programs has been cut to the bone. Mgmt gives a lot of lip service about keeping SME's and critical skills but isn't willing to invest in people.

You DON'T belong here

Current Employee - IT Professional in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

None what so ever. Seriously, there is absolutely nothing positive to say about this company.

Cons

The company's says 'You belong' here. Well, you belong here if:

1. You like being worked into ground by a company that has no respect for peoples personal lives.

2. You are a technical person who likes working for non technical, clueless, out for themselves management, who only care about keeping their positions, and will stab anyone in the back to do so. This is especially true in IT infrastructure.

3. You don't mind being in a position where heartless managers will do everything in their power to outsource every position they can. Take note of all of the layoffs that happened on Nov 5th 2014.

4. You don't mind upper management that will keep all the money for themselves and believe everyone below them are easily replaceable.

5. You don't mind working your tail off, making positive contributions, only to find yourself rated in the bottom 20%, due to the rating system the company has in place that requires this.

6. You don't mind working there for years, only to find your position eliminated when you are in your forties/fifties. The truth is your position was not eliminated but will be replaced by someone younger (and most likely offshore). Again this is especially true in IT.

7. You don't mind working for a company that puts profits and the stock price above EVERYTHING else, including patient care.

1. Have a much concern and value for your people and patients, as you do in profits and getting the stock price higher.

2. Get rid if that antiquated rating system, that requires 20% of your people to be rated below expectations. If someone is truly a poor performer, put them in that category and create a development plan for them to improve. Doing that to people who are not poor performers destroys a persons moral and does nothing to motivate a person.

bad company to work for

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

not much beside being a big company

Cons

Too stressful, constant changes, not much help from upper management since they do not know what are going on . They do whatever they are told by their supervisors