Express Scripts

Updated March 6, 2015
2.2

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 49 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 92 reviews)

• There is no work-life balance for anyone, even for direct supervisors (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Team oriented and member experience focus.

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Upper management has a plan and within all groups to deliver a great product.

Cons

Pace can be extremely fast.

Avoid being penny wise and dollar foolish.

Decent

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

Great options to choose from and great education

Cons

Will increase contribution you have to pay unexpectedly

Try their best to be fair

I love my job!

Current Employee - Senior Staffing Coordinator
    Current Employee - Senior Staffing Coordinator

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Flexibility & I work with a great group of people

Cons

High volume hiring in a short amount of time

This place is a hot mess.

Current Employee - CRD in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - CRD in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So far, my meager weekly check has never bounced and I did get and equally meager raise. I'll try not to spend it all at one place.

Cons

Where do I begin? Middle and upper management is so far removed from the realities of the actual job and the staff that performs it.They foster a hostile work environment by blaming and shaming staff for issues completely out of their control. Supervisors aren't supposed to foster development and growth of their team members. Instead, they are to be MIA for 2/3 of their shift blowing smoke up each other's can while kissing up to our painfully inept management. Upward mobility is a myth. Moving to another department cannot happen. Transfers to other sites are also not allowed. Raises are insulting. Getting a good quality score is an absolute crap shoot. The metrics used to gage productivity is shoddy at best, it can be, and is, manipulated by staff to gain better pay raises (still never above 3% so I don't know why they bother.) Budgets are blown on stupid campaigns like "March Madness" and equally childish distractions (that $ could have been someone's raise!) Real issues are kept from people high enough to make changes (though it's obvious progress is of no concern of theirs or they would make themselves visible and available and know of all goings on.) Threats and intimidation are the default management style of middle management and their lacky supervisors. Certain people are not to be contacted EVER without prior approval from Sr. Management, lest you feel the wrath of a good tongue lashing for daring to bring legitimate concerns to VPs and HR. The list goes on and on.

You know you are steering the Titanic right?! Your company's days are numbered. Walmart now pays more for a full time greeter and cashier than you do for a seasoned PAR. We're ALL looking for new jobs. Nationwide Insurance has a hefty number of your staff and it climbs daily. VSP is gaining several come April 1st and Ohio State University Hospital gained one of your seasoned employees just this week. Aetna, Caremark, and Humana are hiring right now too. And just a couple of weeks ago a supervisor quit because every time he tried to make positive changes and stood up for staff he was reprimanded. You are running YOUR very livelihoods directly into the ground and you don't even seem to care (or maybe you don't know because it's been hidden from you.) The pitiful bag of excuses your management peddles to your main client Anthem is getting old. I'm sure Caremark would like a shot, they can't possibly do any worse. You all should be ashamed of yourselves (but you're not because you're unabashedly narcissistic.) Just do what it takes to retain your qualified staff: increase wages to industry average (roughly $15 an hour), knock off the micromanagement and mickey mouse games, let supervisors actually foster the growth and advancement of their team members, take an active role in your front line staff and support their efforts, fire ineffective supervisors, managers and directors (don't pretend you don't know who they are), and stop being so greedy. But what do I know, I just work there. When our motto is: "it's just a job, not a career," you should be concerned. But somehow I doubt any of this will sink in. Just know, I love my job but hate my employer and everything it stands for. The disdain and contempt I have for this company is shared by all that come in contact with it. The herpes of the PBM industry. Congratulations, you should be so proud!

P.S. Stop having your minions tell new hires Glassdoor is bogus spoof site.

Nothing to gain

Former Employee - Resolution Team Lead in Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Resolution Team Lead in Dublin, OH

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

Benefits when it was Medco-outstanding
    Hours were great
    Management when it was Medco was fabulous

Cons

no communication once merger began
    crazy hours
    Confusion between departments and responsibilities
    CEO has no value other than money driven
    ESI reps extremely rude and unprofessional, it's no wonder they wanted Medco quality but can't seem to get there

Someone needs to get across to Mr.Paz quantity before quality is not award winning service. I have had many comment that leaving was the greatest investment in myself that I could have made.

Very unprofessional office

Former Employee - Eligibility Associate in Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Eligibility Associate in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

There is nothing good about this office.

Cons

This company hires anyone off the street.
    Very petty people.
    Unprofessional supervisors.
    Very ignorant staff.
    Lack of training

The company needs to raise their standards when it comes to the hiring process.

Took advantage of anyone in the job market for a while regarding title and salary and becoming a employee for them.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growing company and interesting business. Leader in their business sector. Nice facilities in St. Louis.

Cons

Underpaid for the job market, "mandatory overtime" especially during open enrollment months (November, December, and January), and disrespect by management. Seems to be a "have" and "have not" sense of organization.

Treat employees better for retention and avoid the "revolving door" reputation in the job market to attract quality workers.

Not perfect. Not terrible.

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is decent, there are a lot of smart people working for the company. There are advancement opportunities for professional people at headquarters. Can't speak first hand to operations/call center type jobs.

Cons

Lack of focus from management, can't work on everything at once. The ends justify the means. Ends = quarterly numbers. Means = whatever it takes to hit them.

Complete projects. I have never seen so many projects that get 2/3 of the way complete then funding is pulled. A year later the project starts back up but since half of the programmers were contractors who have left you waste a lot of time and money getting the new people up to speed.

Hostile Leadership

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

The employees do care and try to do a good job in service to the customers accurately and timely which goes unnoticed by senior leadership.

Cons

In my opinion, Senior Leadership are passive aggressive people who have their own agenda. Even though he/she says that they want to know what employees think, there actions say otherwise. Employees do not trust senior leadership.
    There is no work/life balance. If you are a salaried employee or a manager/supervisor, the expectation is that person works 50 or more hours per week. The person works until a task is complete.
    During merit/performance review, each role has to have a certain number of employees in each category of threshold, target, or stretch. If a person fails into threshold, the person doesn't get an increase.
    During the exit of an employee, HR asks four scripted question for compliance. One of the questions is, if unethical behavior was observed or seen. It's a given that an employee that is leaving will not answer these questions accurately due to fears.

Lack of responsibilities, under-utilized

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Collaborative culture, decent learning opportunities if initiative is taken

Cons

Lack of responsibilities, under utilization of resources