Express Scripts

Express Scripts Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014

Express Scripts Chairman, President, and CEO George Paz

George Paz

Pros:
  • "You have the ability to work from home or anywhere, even on vacation"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match"
    in 31 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance is the biggest issue for most people since there is none"
    in 56 reviews
  • "There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Happy to get Laid Off

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Tempe, AZ

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork at home is an option. Some great people really do work there. I get a package for leaving. Made me happy.

ConsNo work life balance. It feels like a gang war between ESI and Medco employees. They protect the people who used to work with them at their previous company whether they are qualified or not. Project managers are more like analysts in some departments. Director wasted people's time with dumb assignments that added no value to the company. Why would project managers be listening to 50 calls a day? Where they do that at? Express Scripts. Client needs are not the priority. Members are suffering due to inept processes that people either don't know how to fix or too prideful to fix since it was supposed to be a perfect system. New system is so flawed and so inflexible, it's pathetic. Expect you to work a ridiculous amount of hours with not even a thank you.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. There is a reason many people got the bonuses and quit and went to other companies. I was actually happy to be laid off cause I would have eventually quit anyway. Miserable place.

Run fast....

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe teams I worked directly with were very hard working, no matter the issues they were hit with.

ConsBeing in management, I can say the annual rankings are forced. Employees are not graded on their own performance, but rather what HR directs us to rank them as. We were unable to reward our hard working employees in the manner in which they earned. New employees (with no experience) are brought in making more than long term employees. Favoritism is rampant at all levels. I was with the company for years, and have seen first hand gender bias at each level. As employees left, and we were many times unable to replace, management is "forced" to get more out of remaining employees, with no sympathy for their home lives. When I first started with the company, it was an awesome place to work, but in the last several years, especially since the merger, the company is in a downward spiral. Many long standing, dedicated employees at the company have either been laid off, or left voluntarily due to the work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart appreciating those employees that are TRUELY doing their job, and doing it well. There needs to be a better check and balance system to prevent favoritism. Reward those that deserve it, don't worry about making sure you have 10% of your department at "below average". Ensure pay equality among job functions, locations, gender, time in position.

systemic lack of leadership

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros- strong pay scale, bonus plan and equity.
- plenty of opportunity to grow, work and learn a wide variety of areas of the business.

Cons- leadership (all levels: Dir, Sr Dir, to M1 VP, M2 VP to C-level) do not support change. They are unwilling, incapable of having tough conversations with each other toward driving meaningful change for ESI's business.
- Sr leadership is unwilling to see thru the "spin" and "storytelling" that runs rampant.
- these leadership levels will and do "eat their own" in order to avoid accountability or hard conversations. All under the message: Express Way values.
- the industry is about price: CVS and others win business based on price, period. Leadership starting at the top continues to imagine that plan sponsors will pay for the "clinical" expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a recent addition to the Fortune 25, there is a critical need to go get seasoned, veteran leaders. This team is still built on those that ran things as a Fortune 400+ company.

IT Engineer

IT Engineer (Former Employee)
Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEnvironment was flexible and i could work at home if needed. Employee/co-workers were all top rate individuals.

ConsCompany wasn't opposed to laying off quality employees. They would call workers when the were on vacation. They would take away vacation at the last minute. They always asked last minute for people to work a weekend and people were frowned upon if they did not volunteer.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider work / life balance more.

Went from good, to average, to really bad....

BA (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDepending on department the ability to work from home at your own discretion, company matches 401k contributions, vacation time accrues pretty quickly.

ConsESI has really gone downhill over the last few years I hate to say. No more structure or stability.The culture is at an all time low and so is employee morale which is a shame because things used to be a lot different. No longer an employer of choice and personally I would never recommend anybody I cared for to come work here.....I would actually beg them not to since I know the impact ESI would inevitably have on their health and well being.There's always a sense of impending doom in the air and the tension is constantly thick. Work life balance is the biggest issue for most people since there is none. Don't see things improving unfortunately.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your employees like human beings again. there's a reason why everybody is trying to post out.

Out with the old, in with the worst

Warehouse Assistant (Current Employee)
Whitestown, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are no pros in working for Express Scripts. They don't promote from within, they change procedure without testing first, and they don't care about employee health or well benefit.

ConsHard work not rewarded. Vacation and PTO time must be earned each week. Favoritism used in promoting employees. Impossible to get anything other than the "std raise" at annual review.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe end goal might be good, but don't change the current process until you are ready to roll on the entire program. Listen to your employees and live a day with them, they know what they are doing.

Good experience

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts

ProsFlexibility to work at home

ConsThey didn't care about employees , just the bottom line all about money

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter work life balance

For the birds

Finance (Former Employee)

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe day I resigned and escaped. Location was conveniently located.

ConsA mess post merger. Too many negatives to list and there was so much dysfunction all around us. Management was not qualified and everybody was miserable and on edge at all times....clients were abusive and unrealistic. If you wanna rip your hair out on a daily basis go work at Express Scripts. I'm writing this review from my computer at my new job and when I think of Express I still twitch. That can't be good.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't care about suggestions because then they actually have to find a solution to all the problems and there are too many for them to tackle.

It was the worst of times, it was the WORST of times

Account Executive (Current Employee)

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPTO, 401k, able to work remote, salary good but not worth the extreme stress after a while and toll on personal/family life. Able to travel sometimes so it's nice to be out of the house.

ConsESI promotes a very hostile and enervating work environment. Company fell apart after merger and it gets worse and worse every month. Simplest tasks take leap years to get done because there is no communication or cooperation between departments and business units. You send one person an email and 30 minutes later there are 15 random people copied on it who mostly respond by saying they can't help. Leadership is a mess and provide no real guidance. No training for employees so everyone is left to just try and figure things out on their own causing frustration. Express Scripts is just an overall unhealthy place to be and you will probably regret the day you ever applied. Not bitter, but that's the honest truth.

Nepotism Reigns but, Anxiety Grows!

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

ProsEven a bad Job is better than no job in this economy.

ConsThis place favors Nepotism and honestly, it might be more heavily associated with the Medco side of things.

We see jobs created for people who are failing at their present positions and this happens because, those employees are related to others or they know somebody high up in the company. There's also been times when jobs were created for people two and three times over the course of two years just to give certain favorites more money that they didn't deserve.

All this Nepotism has created Anxiety for those hoping to get a fair shake and yet they're trapped under a relative of one of the management staff who couldn't even do the job they are doing but, was promoted to save the relatives job.

Meanwhile, these managers take 3 and 4 hour off-site (not client related) lunches at times and if they need time off they get it and never seem to have to answer to anyone for their actions.

However, since the Express-Scripts merger things have gotten slightly more fair, now it isn't just the people the Management manipulated that have anxiety, it is the Managers themselves as well but, their tyrannical nature has only come to the surface through all of this as they put more pressure on those that they used to protect.

Advice to Senior ManagementExamine the relationship status of your employees and really consider preventing these locations from hiring relatives and that will be one big step towards creating a more professional work place.

Have HR reps located at other sites handle a review of all hiring and promotions so these policies change.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!

Express Scripts – Why Work for Us?

​​​​​​You Belong Here​​​​​​ ​​​​​If you value work that offers meaning and want your career to make a difference in peoples’ lives, you belong at Express Scripts. We have the talent, resources and ability to lower… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Express Scripts reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Express Scripts CEO George Paz. All 576 reviews posted anonymously by Express Scripts employees.