Express Scripts

Updated October 17, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 86 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

Great benefits like 4o1k and health benefits

Cons

It is a fast pace call center

To really listen to the employees

Poor quality patient service

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mail order setting, away from retail

Cons

Company requires massive production without regards to the patient's well being or benefits, no clinical reviews, don't care if RPH make mistakes vs process more prescriptions, the main goal for the company is to send more prescriptions out of the door with the least time spent to review for patient safety

Give more clinical weight to the practice don't just loook at financial outcome
    And provide better patient/ customer service

Lack of Leadership Express

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Healthcare industry
    Weak economy
    Good opportunity ay entry levels if willing to work 60 hours per week

Cons

Merger poorly executed
    Keeps trying to use old business model which no longer works
    Keeps afloat by cutting head count so deeply people are exhausted and morale is horrible. This creates lack of vision and innovation

Stop spending so much on mediocre consulting companies at a tactical level .Hire a leader with vision and the ability to take us there. Really look at talent. Really invest in talent.

Writing is on the wall

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

We did get bonuses last year, we will probably not get those again
    I like what I do each day.
    Work life balance is not a problem for me
    The facilities are newish and pretty

Cons

Management is a mess. No reviews, one on one meetings are constantly pushed back or cancelled outright, feedback is hard to come by.
    Lay-offs always seem right around the corner.
    Overall business model is sketchy and it seems like earnings are going to keep falling, but the executives will always get their money.
    The merger with Medco was a mistake.
    Employees are numbers to management; I've been referred to as a 'budget item"
    Use of forced ranking is dehumanizing

Stop ignoring your direct reports. If you have a half an hour meeting with them, go ahead and show up.

Nightmare Company to work for

Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Irving, TX

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The Company pays a decent salary

Cons

Poor communication across the organization

Connect with your people. Be more transparent

If you have any other choice, don't work here

Current Employee - Prior Authorization in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Prior Authorization in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company is a good introduction to phone based client services. They train you fairly well how to use the systems and interact with customers. Pay is decent for someone just coming into the job market.

Cons

Nobody in management or even supervisors are willing to listen to any ideas on how things could be run better. There is no life work balance, many people quit after our last shift bid (usually because they had younger kids and didn't want to stay till 9pm). You never know when your schedule is going to change or what it will be after the change, Office politics reins supreme here, everything is spread through the grapevine, both personal and business related topics. DO NOT JOIN THIS COMPANY AS A TEMP (this is what I did and they told us 90 days from the end of training would be when we were to be hired.... well that turned into 7 and half months).

Listen to your people on the front lines, instead of handing down edicts from on high. Take into account what's going on in your employees lives instead of just assigning random shifts.

Who said it was excellent to work here..

Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech-Trend
    Former Employee - Pharmacy Tech-Trend

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pros is that it has good benefits and there is some flexibility in start times depending on where you work. Also to the person that said it was in a horrible part of town, it is not...It is off of a major highway and if you take walks at lunchtime you will see that it is in a very quiet part of the city...yes near Ferguson, but Ferguson is actually a very quiet community and the business is actually centrally located in St. Louis

Cons

Advancement is a joke, the pay is horrible, HR recruitment within the company sucks--they don't get back with you you have about as good of a chance of moving up as an elephant trying to go through my front door. The environment is non classy and demeaning.

Hire good employees and pay them for their work.

Use to be great...

Current Employee - RTL
    Current Employee - RTL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best (and only reasons) to work here, is for the benefits. ESI does offer great benefits for its employees- medical, dental, 401k, etc...

Cons

ESI does not give two craps about their employees that are under managers. Call takers- whether 1st line PCA's or the escalation line of RTL's- are treated as if we don't matter at all. They don't care about work/personal life balance. The micromanage every tiny aspect of everything. God forbid you want/need to go above and beyond for a highly escalated member and need to spend an extra minute or two on the phone. Before the merge with Express Scripts, Medco cared about their employees and it showed! Since the merge, we can see such a huge difference in the way we are treated and managed. Most of the 'good reviews' are from upper management or people that don't deal with the #1 reason there's a company at all- patients.

I understand that ESI and Medco are two different companies, and there's a reason why ESI was able to buy out Medco, but at some point, you must recognize that a happy employee is a good employee. I use to love my job and what I did and for the company I worked for. Now, I cringe when people ask me who I work for, as I fear that the person I'm talking too might be a patient with ESI and they'll start telling me about how much they hate our company (which happens much more often NOW than it ever did with Medco).

Patient counseling Pharmacist

Former Employee - Counseling Pharmacist in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Counseling Pharmacist in Irving, TX

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Extensive experience with patients medical profiles and medications, ability to detect gaps in therapy and to interact with patients and different healthcare providers

Cons

challenges every day with newly developed medications information and added responsibilities to the pharmacist

Hiring more managers to meet all business needs and increase training of pharmacists to keep up with fast uisness

I love working for the company

Current Employee - Pca in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Pca in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the fact that I have a direct outcome on helping each patient

Cons

need to be more patient and employee focused

need to be more patient and employee focused. Give us the opportunity to really service the patient during the first call...First call resolution..

Express Scripts Response

Oct 17, 2014Talent Acquisition Representative

Thank you for your constructive review.
    We’re proud to help people achieve better health outcomes, while helping our clients control costs and continue to provide a robust pharmacy benefit. Thanks
    ... More