Express Scripts

Updated September 19, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Reimbursement specialist

Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Reimbursement Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Medical benefits and 401K only. Good location and most of the older employees that were hired under Healthbridge are good people

Cons

Overwork your employees. Don't want to pay employees what they are worth. No advancement unless you know someone. If you care about your employees you're pushed out the door.

Need to treat your employees like human beings. ESI is not the company it used to be has drastically changed for the worse since the merge with Medco. Only think about numbers and money. Patient care is not an priority anymore.

Absolutely no work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

People will always need medicine

Cons

To much turmoil! Schedule bids every 4-6 months, seat changes, moving from one floor to another & they expect us to do fantastic customer service while this is happening. It seems like if you are an ESI employee nothing, & I mean nothing outside of Esi exists!

Talk to us, we are your front line. Ask if the shift I have is working for me rather than making me participate in a bid & risk geting a shift that's going to force me to to work late or have to quit! As a single parent working til 9pm during the week is not an option. I love my job & leaving it is the last thing I want to but, like I said there is no work/life balance when you work for ESI.

Treat very capable employees with disrespect based on management goals to get ahead and receive big bonuses to cut staff

Former Employee - Training Specialist
    Former Employee - Training Specialist

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent benefits. Nice building to work in. Nice co-workers

Cons

The cost of living in St. Louis is much lower than many other sites, therefore salaries are low for higher cost of living cities. No training opportunities unless you are willing to do it on your own time and pay for it yourself. Unreasonable deadlines and no regard for work/life balance.

The way employees have been treated is shameful. There is an undercurrent of deceitful and power hungry managers. The company finds ways to get rid of employees and not have to pay severance by placing them on a performance improvement plan designed to allow the company to terminate them rather than lay them off in a dignified manner.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR was horrible

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate  in  Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good work experience, good coworkers and good benefits

Cons

HR was horrible. I needed to go out of town for a family members funeral and HR had me get a program from the funeral. When I returned the program to her she asked "how do I know this is your relative.?" It was absurd. Nobody should be treated that way when a family member has passed away. Have to plan far in advance to take PTO. High turnover.

Needs Work

Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse Clinician  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Licensed Practical Nurse Nurse Clinician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good pay, decent job, excellent benefits

Cons

Poor employee management, turns blind eye to workplace bullying, not employee friendly, poor parking

Private work spaces, the new lab is a horrible place to work, treat employees better

Dollars first, people and members second with the attitude that all people are expendable.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people are devoted to the customers they serve, but that devotion is not supported by management unless it provides the maximum dollars for ESI.

Cons

Long hours with little reward for the effort. Low life/work balance. The company 'lays-off' the lower 5% of each division each year.

People are not expendable

Poor employee managament

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Its a fast and rapid pace work environment - get it done is the norm here. Plenty of projects with lots of work and deadlines throughout the organization. Lots of smart people.

Cons

Organization is not really employee focused and the culture treats employees as dispensable. The employee attrition and churn are extremely high and there is not long term focus on personal growth.

Better employee management program.

Not the old Medco culture; now high pay to overcompensate for employee burnout and client / management distrust

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Clients appreciate the work that I specifically deliver. My coworkers are good people who I enjoy. I am given some freedom for project work such as procedure documentation. I am trusted for my hours, schedule, and work ethic. I am paid a competitive salary and bonus, and there is a clear, fair tracking of salaries to industry and company means and ranges. There is flexibility with start and end time to allow for making an appointment or coordinating child pickup without needing to take paid time off and without impact to performance review.

Cons

I am continuously given more work than a person in my position should be able to handle or prioritize along with aggressive timelines, high efficiency expectations, marginal staffing, and the very highest quality expectations - and there is little room to negotiate without a huge negative impact to performance review. There hasn't been a slow week since April 2, 2012, the date of the merger with Medco. My hard work is not appreciated or valued as it should be, but there is instead a lip service provided by others who are also not feeling appreciated but doing their best to survive. As a employee, I am not trusted for content of projects such as training lists, training schedules, on boarding, vendor management, and asking other departments for support or input on a project within the other department's roles and responsibilities - I must go through management in most cases. As a manager, my input for documentation of capacity and staffing is not valued. Clients do not trust my company, so in turn my management and new client contacts do not trust the timeliness or quality of work of me, my employees and my contract workers. No time or allowance mentor within the company within a different department - again, would require management approval from my management and from the management of the mentor - who would deem us too busy and would deem this a low priority.

Focus on your people, as they are all that matter. Spend less time presenting a strategy to employees and instead make an internal plan, execute on the employee survey feedback, and report the completion. Improve morale by having enough middle and senior management staffing for time for mentoring for 7 months of the year (February-September). Don't simply offer promotions from within but offer nurturing of skills from within...which will lead to skills and promotions.

Rates more important than quality

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Tampa, FL

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Comfortable work environment. Got breaks and a lunch

Cons

Micromanaged. They do not look at the whole picture

Bottom Dollar Rules

Former Employee - Business Information Analyst II  in  Mason, OH
    Former Employee - Business Information Analyst II in Mason, OH

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay and compensation package was pretty good; though it was a continuation from the Next Rx days.

Cons

Long hours and no respect for the work-life balance culture that was present at Next Rx.

Do things right for your patients, and your employees, even if it costs a little more in the long run.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!