Express Scripts Reviews

Updated August 26, 2014

2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 43 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 76 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Bring Back Medco

Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer  in  Fair Lawn, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Fair Lawn, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay check; multiple IT functions

Cons

Just about everything else needs work.

Don't cheap out on IT!

All about the numbers in a lean environment

Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist  in  Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Staff Pharmacist in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work hours, good opportunities for improvement, good dress code, lots of celebrations of employee productivity every month. Lots of cupcakes and pizza all the time.

Cons

No personal growth unless you want to become a pharmacist manager or supervisor. Time off is generous if a slot is open on the week or day you desire. 401K is standard with a match from employer. Flex account third party requires additional documentation ALL the time. Job is not for the faint of heart if you see a high turnover in pharmacy technicians and pharmacist supervisors ( who are techs too).

Hire supervisors who are built to last ( a while ). Cross train and show opportunities in different work functions as soon as available or possible.

Decent job until the merge with Medco

Former Employee - Prescription Benefits Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Prescription Benefits Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

401-k company match////no lay-offs during recession

Cons

Upper management not concerned with promise to client companies //very poor concern to provide customers with promises after obtaining client companies//values are only impressive on paper

Management is not interested in receiving valuable advise from employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They bought my former employer (Medco), and drove them into the ditch!

Current Employee - Attorney  in  Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Current Employee - Attorney in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The work life balance was good. I rarely had to take work home with me. The pay was appropriate, and I do like the PTO bank as opposed to separate days for sick / personal, etc.

Cons

If you work out of the Franklin Lakes New Jersey facility, there is a good chance you could finish your entire career without ever feeling safe in your job. The layoffs have been stretched out over a period of years and show no signs of abating. They also LOVE to micro-manage.

Invest in your employees! The ones who don't work in St. Louis want to like you, but you make it difficult by alternatively ignoring and firing them.

Very pleasant work environment.

Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate  in  Saint Marys, GA
    Former Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Saint Marys, GA

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits. Easy job functions. Steady work flow.

Cons

being stationary, kind of boring.

Keep up the good work

Pressure, politics, stress... Oh my!

Current Employee - Director, Account Management  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director, Account Management in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They pay decent, good bonus

Cons

High stress, highly competitive environment, no appreciation for work life balance, year end performance reviews are cut throat. even if you are a high performer employees are force ranked into threshold, target and stretch ratings. So what that means is if everyone performs the same someone is still forced into threshold which means no bonus. So it basically comes down to who sucks up the most.

Reward for hard work, appreciate your people

Horrible disappointment

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large company, many locations to move around if desired. Great co-workers. A few great leaders that make you proud of where you work.

Cons

Large company, people are easily replaced

A lot of nepotism within all departments of the company, a who you know depends on where and how high you go within the company.

Numbers on paper are more important than the patients they serve and the quality of the service given to the patient.

Since merging with Medco there is a lot of confusion on who does what, what goes where, and how many people are actually needed to ensure patients and employees are satisfied, all about saving money, paid so much for the merger to happen need to get some back.

Lack of leadership from management within some departments

HR doesn't look into any complaints or issues against managers brought to them by employees, they will side with management without investigating even when it is told to them to be untrue.

Sweat shop

Current Employee - Director, Operations  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director, Operations in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good people for the most part. The politics are rampant. Also, a lot of need for improving processes. You have processes stepping on each other all the time.

Cons

All "type A" personalities - if you are not one, it's hard to succeed. They work you like a dog. In January, don't expect to get a day off for several weeks.

Very scary. There is little teamwork, and they are always looking for whom to blame.

Former Employee - Account Management  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Account Management in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than a year

Pros

They pay well, but you earn it. The cafeteria on site is nice too, and you are close to Ferguson if you want to go out.

Cons

The culture is such that new ideas are frowned upon. If something goes wrong, they are always looking to blame someone, so you are always worried about getting stabbed in the back. I was in meetings all day, then read e-mail on my laptop at night until I fell asleep.

Left for Ethical Reasons

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Troy, NY
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Troy, NY

I worked at Express Scripts full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

None...really. Maybe casual dress.

Cons

If you are a Pharmacist, don't walk...run!! I left for ethical reasons. They measure your productivity and if you can't process 100+ prescriptions/hour, you will not meet your metrics. The plus in the 100+ is not small, either...120-140+ is more like it.. They divide the work into buckets - Dr Call, Verification, Drug Interaction and your metric depends on what function you are performing. If you reject one for concerns about the dose or a drug interaction, etc you don't "get credit" so it's actually more like 200/hr. All kinds of games are played. There is NO WAY an ethical Pharmacist can meet his or her professional obligations under those circumstances, so I left. It was my only option because the numbers were only increasing. It is DISTURBING and I don't know why the boards of pharmacy in the states where they operate aren't doing anything about this. There's all kinds of things that go on in that company. If a patient has gotten isosorbide mononitrate (Imdur) for the last 5 years and the dr writes for isosorbide dinitrate 1QD, don't question it...send it. There are far worse examples, but I know I was spoken to about referring that one for md call.

Remember that you are not flipping hamburgers...these are people's lives.

Worked for Express Scripts? Contribute to the Community!