Express Scripts

Updated October 17, 2014
2.1

Express Scripts Chairman & Chief Executive Officer George Paz
George Paz

Pros
  • Benefits are good and depending on your position you can work from home (in 46 reviews)

• Good benefits, instant vesting of company share of 401k match (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • This place has no concern for work/life balance although that's what they preach (in 86 reviews)

• There is absolutely no work/life balance because they think that your job should be your (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Dear Board of Directors, Please fire George Paz!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fortune 50 company. Healthcare industry. PTO. Telecommute available.

Cons

Senior mgmt is so far from understanding their front line problems. Middle mgmt is afraid to tell them. The culture is built on fear and bully tactics. Openness is discouraged. Secrets, backstabbing, and kronyism is standard operating at ESI.
    There are unrealistic financial goals that drive flawed p&l models. You cannot grow without market share. If you don't fix your problems you will lose more clients. If you fire your SMEs you will not fix your problems.
    George Paz has no vision. He doesn't have the skills to run a company this size.

Fire George Paz
    Stop "calibrating" employees and start "encouraging" them.

There is no way I want to keep working here. Everyone is unhappy

Current Employee - Pca in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Pca in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only benefit is the 401k. Automated system to call out so you are not put on a guilt trip for family emergencies

Cons

there are so many cons I don't know where to start. Higher management is a joke. They gossip non stop. They won't help you off they don't think it meets business needs. They tell you to have other people take care of your kids if they are sick/in the hospital. If not they threaten to fire you. Upper management picks on specific pcas and talks down to them and yells at them in the front of others. They make you feel embarrassed if you have issues outside of work.

Horrible company to grow with!!

I have been working at Express Scripts

Pros

Paid weekly. Weekends off!

Cons

Schedules are horrible! Upper management does not care at all about employees! Extremely cheap and stress having only minimum supplies!

Listen to the employees and generally care! You pay peanuts and expect people to jump through hoops and fail to truly acknowledge hard work and dedication! It's all smoke and mirrors!!

This company really SUCKS!!

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The only pro, is that you can work from home.

Cons

The scheduling of hours sucks. No work/life balance. Their metrics requirements are unreachable. Most patients hate Express Scripts, but they have no choice. No perks. The pay is ridiculous for what they expect you to do. I wouldn't advise my worst enemy to work for this company!

Care about your MEMBERS and EMPLOYEES!!

How can so good turn so bad

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Willingboro, NJ
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Willingboro, NJ

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very nice benefits from day one , a very generous 401K plan. Holiday dinner in the caf was very nice, lots of overtime through out the year. I always enjoyed my job when it was Medco Health.
    Finally got rid of the WOW program.
    When it was Medco, I was told several times by people I would meet how satisfied they were with the service we provided, never any problems That was a great feeling.

Cons

Managers appear not to know or care what is happening on the later shifts.
    Supervisors need to stop acting like they are Gods gift to women.
    Supervisors are not knowledgeable of there area , need to learn what is going on.
    Supervisors will send home people and then bring in OT to cover. Horrible business practices.
    Managers let people control what they are suppose to do instead of taking charge, Supervisors just do not want confrontations so the let the Shop Stewart do what he wants.
    Supervisor does not make people do there jobs, cater to some while others struggle.
    ESI needs to stop the fashion shows in some areas and make these people do there jobs.
    ESI management has trouble making decisions on how to cover work flow, one minute they run around getting OT and a hour later it is cancelled.
    To many employees think they are owed something and spend more time trying to get out of doing there jobs or just plain go and hide somewhere.
    I think Management has lost there will to manage, possibly thinking Willingboro is shutting down, they may think what do I care so they do not perform.

Open your eyes and look at who you have running the show for you, I think you will be embarrassed at the decisions being made in Willingboro.

Turning the Page

Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The benefits are great and extensive. The salary ranges are very competitive and they are willing to negotiate with you to remain flexible within reasonable expectations.

The culture is innovative, forward-thinking, fast-paced (seriously...it is), and open-minded. All of my previous employers acted like they valued your opinion or suggestion to improve a process, but ESI really does take it into consideration all the way up the chain before a decision is made. You have a voice here, and that's really impressed me. A plus is that the whole entire campus is brand new (2007 and newer) and state-of-the-art.

Never a dull moment or shortage of work to do. On that note, outside people hear a lot about work-life imbalance at ESI, but I just don't see that. Every single person here pulls their own weight in the same direction working toward a common goal, and nobody gripes about it. You can see people genuinely care about their work, and it's shown objectively when just about everyone regularly hits 100% or more of their annual bonus plan. I don't know about you, but I'd rather HAVE work to do than sit at my desk all day and have nothing to do (been there before, it's miserable). A lot of the mixed reviews I see are from the frustration of the constant integrating and merging of newly acquired companies' employees and processes, which is understandable, but the focus is definitely changing to efficiency and making work/life easier. I believe if there is a work-life imbalance that it is silo'd into certain departments, but it's certainly not a company-wide issue.

Cons

Not really any glaring Cons, I just think people need to socialize a little more. Everyone works hard and has the go-go-go mentality, but it wouldn't hurt to loosen up and have a little fun here and there.

Keep the company, your departments, and your leaders in the loop as to what's coming down the chute, it helps build annual goals and keep them in check. Create opportunities for employees and the culture to loosen up and take their foot off the gas pedal every once in awhile.

Express Scripts Response

Oct 17, 2014Talent Acquisition Representative

We’re glad you have found Express Scripts to be a rewarding place to work. We’re proud that many of your colleagues feel the same way.

In response to your specific comments about social
    ... More

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - IT Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Express Scripts (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good Management, work life balance

Cons

Not very Agile work place

Decent pay, limited growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wage, travel, work atmosphere, making a difference in people's lives

Cons

Little chance to advance, poor work/home balance, outdated and poor computer systens and programs.

To advance, its not what you know, but whom you know. That is not the way to build a strong employee base.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whitestown, IN
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Whitestown, IN

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You meet really good friends. I worked for the Express Scripts in Whitestown, IN it started off as Medco (one of the best companies to work for).....

Cons

Express Scripts took over Medco and became one of the worse companies. They work you entirely to hard for the money they pay. The raises are nothing i started off at $13.00 and was employed here for 4 years and when i left i was only making 13.75. No opportunity for growth

Your best people are leaving

Absolutely no work/life balance

Current Employee - Anonymous in Dublin, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Dublin, OH

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People will always need medicine

Cons

To much turmoil! Schedule bids every 4-6 months, seat changes, moving from one floor to another & they expect us to do fantastic customer service while this is happening. It seems like if you are an ESI employee nothing, & I mean nothing outside of Esi exists!

Talk to us, we are your front line. Ask if the shift I have is working for me rather than making me participate in a bid & risk geting a shift that's going to force me to to work late or have to quit! As a single parent working til 9pm during the week is not an option. I love my job & leaving it is the last thing I want to but, like I said there is no work/life balance when you work for ESI.

Express Scripts Response

Oct 17, 2014Talent Acquisition Representative

We understand the unique challenges of having a position with a variable work schedule while trying to care for a family. We encourage you to set up a meeting with your supervisor and HR generalist ... More