Express Scripts Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
965 reviews filtered by

Incompetent managers with no integrity, ethics or values

Current Employee - IT Professional
    Current Employee - IT Professional

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The hard working people in the trenches that keep Express Scripts going.

Cons

The company talks about their core values of integrity and respect. They are just words. They have no respect for their people and their lives. There is no work life balance. These so called managers do not care how many nights and weekends their people work, and what it does to their health and personal lives. Now that is not to say everyone works these kinds of hours. These managers themselves do not. They make sure they have a personal life.

Managers (from legacy Express Scripts), that manage technical groups are not technical at all. This is especially true in IT infrastructure. They are completely clueless. This is quite evident during an urgent call, where these so called managers just sit on these calls offering no direction or leadership. Their incompetence makes it impossible for them to make any positive contribution.

Now Express Scripts will argue that they want their managers to be people managers, not technical. However they are equally worthless there as well. A good manager values and inspires their people. They make sure their people's talents are being utilized properly. They make sure their technical skills are being kept current and help them to develop in areas where they may be weak. Unfortunately these 'people managers' do none of this. The only career they are concerned with is their own. They have no respect of any of their technical staff. They view technical people as just a commodity, that can easily be replaced with a cheaper, offshore person. They do not believe in having SMEs, since that would contradict their perception that all IT professionals are just a replaceable cog in the IT machine. The only people that these manages do value are the ones they help them do their job, since they are incapable of doing it themselves.

Now lets get to the November 2014 layoff bloodbath. Good, dedicated employees were let go, while less experienced, cheaper, and in a lot of cases, younger consultants were kept. Can anyone say age discrimination? These employees were used by the company to help with integration. Now that integration is over, these employees were simply shown the door. It was so nice of the company to let these people go so close to the holidays. I doubt many of them had much to celebrate this year. Well at least these people had their severance package. Oh no, the company did not offer one. What they offered instead of a fair severance package was a 'supplemental employment benefit'. Basically that means that the person let go had to file for state employment benefits and then file for this SUB (two weeks for every year at the company, and capped at 20 weeks). However, as soon as they find another job, the SUB stops. So much for integrity and respect.

Now most companies have a rule that states if you leave before the yearly bonus is paid out, you do not get it. That is certainly fair for people who choose to leave. However these people did not choose to leave. They worked and contributed for ten months of the year, and should have been given a prorated bonus, but Express Scripts screwed them out of that as well. That is how unethical and evil the management is.

The company further treats its people badly by the review system is has. This process requires 20% of employees to be rated threshold (the bottom category), regardless of how they performed. If someone is truly a poor performer, then they should be placed in this category and put on a development plan. However to put people there when they are not poor performers is simply wrong. However the company will not do away with this, since this is what they use to justify getting rid of people. Speaking of the review process. Mid year reviews were done in September without input from the employees. I cannot say this happened everywhere in the company but it certainly happened in areas in IT infrastructure. This allowed the manager to put the people he wanted in the bottom category, which was undoubtly used to justify who was to be let go to for the November layoffs. This is just another example of how morally bankrupt and unethical these managers are.

So if you want to work here, understand you will have no work life balance. If you are in IT, you will most likely work for an incompetent manager who has no decency or values what so ever. And as the years go by and you make more money (and get older), you will have a bulls eye on your back and will eventually be throw out like a piece of garbage, only to be replaced with a younger, cheaper (and most likely off shore), worker.

Make sure IT groups are managed by technical people (instead of political hacks), who can provide intelligent leadership.

CIO Gary Wimberly needs to go since he is nothing but a glorified project manager. This is clearly evident by the mess that was made during integration.

CEO George Paz also needs to be replaced. Clients have been leaving and he has not idea how to keep them. He is just an overpaid accountant who grew the business with mergers and acquisitions. Well there nothing left to buy and CVS is running Express Scripts over. It is time to hire an CEO with vision of how to grow the business in other ways.

This place is a hot mess.

Current Employee - CRD in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - CRD in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than a year)

Pros

So far, my meager weekly check has never bounced and I did get and equally meager raise. I'll try not to spend it all at one place.

Cons

Where do I begin? Middle and upper management is so far removed from the realities of the actual job and the staff that performs it.They foster a hostile work environment by blaming and shaming staff for issues completely out of their control. Supervisors aren't supposed to foster development and growth of their team members. Instead, they are to be MIA for 2/3 of their shift blowing smoke up each other's can while kissing up to our painfully inept management. Upward mobility is a myth. Moving to another department cannot happen. Transfers to other sites are also not allowed. Raises are insulting. Getting a good quality score is an absolute crap shoot. The metrics used to gage productivity is shoddy at best, it can be, and is, manipulated by staff to gain better pay raises (still never above 3% so I don't know why they bother.) Budgets are blown on stupid campaigns like "March Madness" and equally childish distractions (that $ could have been someone's raise!) Real issues are kept from people high enough to make changes (though it's obvious progress is of no concern of theirs or they would make themselves visible and available and know of all goings on.) Threats and intimidation are the default management style of middle management and their lacky supervisors. Certain people are not to be contacted EVER without prior approval from Sr. Management, lest you feel the wrath of a good tongue lashing for daring to bring legitimate concerns to VPs and HR. The list goes on and on.

You know you are steering the Titanic right?! Your company's days are numbered. Walmart now pays more for a full time greeter and cashier than you do for a seasoned PAR. We're ALL looking for new jobs. Nationwide Insurance has a hefty number of your staff and it climbs daily. VSP is gaining several come April 1st and Ohio State University Hospital gained one of your seasoned employees just this week. Aetna, Caremark, and Humana are hiring right now too. And just a couple of weeks ago a supervisor quit because every time he tried to make positive changes and stood up for staff he was reprimanded. You are running YOUR very livelihoods directly into the ground and you don't even seem to care (or maybe you don't know because it's been hidden from you.) The pitiful bag of excuses your management peddles to your main client Anthem is getting old. I'm sure Caremark would like a shot, they can't possibly do any worse. You all should be ashamed of yourselves (but you're not because you're unabashedly narcissistic.) Just do what it takes to retain your qualified staff: increase wages to industry average (roughly $15 an hour), knock off the micromanagement and mickey mouse games, let supervisors actually foster the growth and advancement of their team members, take an active role in your front line staff and support their efforts, fire ineffective supervisors, managers and directors (don't pretend you don't know who they are), and stop being so greedy. But what do I know, I just work there. When our motto is: "it's just a job, not a career," you should be concerned. But somehow I doubt any of this will sink in. Just know, I love my job but hate my employer and everything it stands for. The disdain and contempt I have for this company is shared by all that come in contact with it. The herpes of the PBM industry. Congratulations, you should be so proud!

P.S. Stop having your minions tell new hires Glassdoor is bogus spoof site.

Unrealistic Expectations

Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Billing/Reimbursement in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I work from home, I get paid and I have benefits. The time off accumulation is probably second best to working at home. If I was in the office I would have quit a long time ago. The first 4 yrs you get 160 hours each year of Paid Time Off and it rolls over. Probably the best part of the job.

Cons

You have to be a rock star with no life (meaning working the voluntary OT) or be the bosses favorite. Even then you aren't exempt from getting scolded. The company as a whole isn't awful but its not great. In the four years I've worked at ESI (first Accredo then Medco, now ESI) I have had 4 different supervisors because they are always changing what the think isn't working. Always moving people or coming up with new ways to "help" you collect on claims. Every company has policies in place, steps they have to follow but at ESI we are supposed to demand the insurance companies to do what we say and if we can't, we have to get our supervisor to do it for us. Its all about meeting that cash goal, that as said in other comments, is always higher and is never attainable. If we don't meet the cash goal set by upper management then we are in this hand holding match where they ask over and over "what can we do to help" but if you say anything you are passive aggressively attacked. Or condescendingly told how you are wrong. I have never felt so incompetent in any position ever. Even if you do well its "that's great but why aren't you doing it all the time". Its never enough and there's too many cooks in the kitchen trying to help or fix the issues.

Outside of that the business process we have to follow change so often always trying to make it better or easier but really don't change it if it works. We just learn it and get used to it then it changes. Then we get reprimanded for not following the new process or policies. And you better believe that's going on your annual review. I like this motto: keep it simple stupid. This company needs to follow this more. It makes our job harder and more time consuming to have to continuously look for the newest way to do what we need to do to get a simple task done. Changing something in the system that's wrong could take months!
    I work on a specific group of insurance carriers and those patients under that insurance for any/all drugs that are sent out. Would you believe we, as in the collections department just found out we don't have contracts with not one but two insurance companies and we NEVER did! and we have been servicing patients for YEARS under these carriers. Are you kidding me?!? Now I have to tell patients they have to get theirs scripts somewhere else because we don't have a contract with those carriers so they aren't obligated to pay us. Uhm... And I'm the incompetent one? how did we not know this sooner. It happens all the time with errors that go on for years that one day someone says holy crap how are you still in business with stuff like this. I wouldn't get my scripts there but I have to or I have to pay full price elsewhere. Don't work here and don't use their service it's awful. I spend most of my days fixing mistakes we as a company made and trying to get money for it. Pure Greed should be their motto.

The resolution: stop badgering. Hounding us daily drives down morale which drives down quality and quantity of productivity. Stop having meetings every week to say we aren't doing it right, and how you help us do our job better. And I'm talking team meetings... with people on my team who have been with this company for 10+ years! Who will text each other saying how absurd the meeting is and how ridiculous their demands are, saying if we are that bad fire us all. We are that backed into a corner, we are literally waiting to be fired. Part of us hopes it happens. Obviously we won't quit, we have too many years invested to walk away from the pay level we finally got to and time off saved. They are literally talking to us as if we just learned how to play baseball but we aren't performing like Babe Ruth. We are Babe Ruth's just let us get back to the basics stop with the reports and meetings. I understand product out means money in and if that doesn't happen it hurts the bottom line but let's get back to the basics of our job, stop trying to fix it and let us work. I'm so stressed nearly every day because we aren't meeting their expectations. I take pride in what I do, but they won't let me do what I do because they keep stopping us to remind us how we are failing. And I don't mean me, its all of collections at ESI that has to deal with this. Some supervisors are better at delivering this "your incompetent" message where others like the one I have, make your life living hell because no matter what you do its never good enough.

5. would definitely work there again

I worked at Express Scripts

Pros

Great company to work for. Very Nice people and friendly environment.

Cons

The health benefits could be better

A shell of what once was.

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at Express Scripts full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The co-workers are one of the greatest assets aside from a 401k that matched up to 6%. Great cafe and nice campus in northern NJ.

Cons

The yearly merit increases were between a dismal 1-2% per year. Their benefits have worsened (ironic given that they are a benefit management company).

Regroup and make it as great as Medco was before the merger.

No good

Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Learn a lot about pharmacy process.

Cons

No incentives, unrealistcs goals, no raised Employees dont get shift differencial and takes muti language calls

Grew too big, to fast. Executive Mgmt in way over their heads.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Salary. Bonuses. IT Workforce is talented and technical. If you have the right MGR, WFH/flexible work schedule is available.

Cons

30+ years in IT, so I have the experience and background to make a judgement. All one need do is compare the reviews from prior to merger to those AFTER. Other than the name on the buildings, one would be hard pressed to recognize which company bought which. Expectation is to keep old, outdated technology working instead of upgrading to modern technology. Ethics, Collaboration & Respect are preached but not practiced. SME's leaving in bunches, positions not being backfilled, so those left behind are saddled with picking up the pieces. Work/Life balance does not exist.

Face up to the fact that you made a mistake by selecting "the MEDCO business model" over the ESI model. Hopefully you are realizing that "more mature" doesn't necessarily mean better. The ESI model may have been "less mature', but with that came more modern. Continuing to allow outdated, antiquated processes & practices just to appease the legacy MEDCO staff is a road to absolute failure. There is a reason that the top people are leaving in droves (especially in IT). From Executive levels down, people who know what REAL IT looks like recognize the doomed path that the company is on. A Fortune 25 company should not be running critical business processes on 30+ year old systems, and applying bandaids & paperclips to keep it working. Use our leverage as a major player with vendors to negotiate deals and upgrade the infrastructure !

Company has changed for the worse in the last 10 years

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, compensation, new facility at headquarters

Cons

Location, excessive travel due to merger/acquisition of various sites, not a team feel, work/life balance

Still no signs of organization or professionalism.

Former Employee - Prior Authorization in Tampa, FL
    Former Employee - Prior Authorization in Tampa, FL

I worked at Express Scripts (less than a year)

Pros

Good chance to learn about Rx industry.

Cons

Unorganized
    Untrustworthy
    Untrained mgmt.
    Micromanaging is very extra (treated like children)
    No chance of work/life balance
    Pay does not match requirement
    Change is understandable but even mgmt. barely is aware of what's new

If you have a financial need and must accept employment from this company to provide for your family that is completely understandable but DO NOT rely on Express Scripts for job security. You owe it to yourself and your family to pursue greater opportunities. DO NOT get comfortable!

This is an update from an employee laid off from Tampa, FL location 2/17/2015. As of this date I still have not received ANY documentation about this issue. When something was needed from me I was given a STRICT deadline to comply or my job was on the line. I guess it doesn't matter now. Why is that so hard to provide something this simple to employees laid off and sent home w/o warning. I understand we were given 60 days pay but are we supposed to just trust this will continue like we trusted our job security? There is really no need to continue. I will proceed to fight for what I am requesting. If I still have an issue I will just take it to a higher authority.

Stressful, repetitive and terrible.

Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Pueblo, CO
    Current Employee - Patient Care Advocate in Pueblo, CO

I have been working at Express Scripts full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Earned time off is okay and the benefits are acceptable.

Cons

Equipment issues and the company has grown too fast to keep up with demand. Lousy, lousy raises given annually and the bonus program is always changing to cheat you. You never really feel like you are doing a good job. Just trying to get them off the phone, very frustrating and sad. This is without a doubt the worse job to that I have ever had.

If you want to keep the real talent then a cost of living increase and a merit increase is the way to do it.